The Community Deck Build Project v6.0

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I think Birgi is tough to play. It can be soo good in the right setting. I think this is it to be honest. I like it, yay, but also wonder if the new Urabrask is better. Or both worth playing?
Uncivil Unrest is great, but I wish it gave tokens haste. Still, pretty good imo Yay.
I am good with twinferno too. Yay.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I think Birgi is tough to play. It can be soo good in the right setting. I think this is it to be honest. I like it, yay, but also wonder if the new Urabrask is better. Or both worth playing?
I had this thought too, and Urabrask is strong but doesn't trigger from anything but instants and sorceries. Looking at our list, we have some, but probably not enough to really make the praetor worth it in my opinion. We're kind of scattered over creatures, rocks, spells rather than all in on instants/sorceries. It's also one mana more to cast, if that matters.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Yay to Birgi. I hate playing against it so it must be good. Cautionary yay to Uncivil Unrest. I kind of want cheaper stuff here, like even Fervor or Hammer of Purphoros.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Fantastic points that I'm enjoying reading, running late though so @Moonlighter and @TheAmericanSpirit are on the clock. I'm gonna have a lot to recount as my weekend approaches haha.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I'm really not sure what our plan is anymore. Uh.... Gamble? I like gambling, anyone else wanna gamble?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I'm really not sure what our plan is anymore. Uh.... Gamble? I like gambling, anyone else wanna gamble?
I'll go for Gamble. Yea.

I kind of agree, though, seems like we maybe need to refocus a little, the deck does seem to be sprawling in a lot of directions. We should probably prioritise genuine value and win pieces and good Velo flips for the next few rounds at least. Currently I'm not sure we're really in a space where we can guarantee a Velo trigger. It's never going to be perfect, but what are we doing if we're not trying?

3drinks

To my estimation, it seems we veered from extra combats because most of them don't actually work because of weird corner case rules and now we're half spell slinging, half good ish stuff.

On that note, I'll yay Gamble. I'm never not happy to see that and despite people's eye rolls at tutours, Gamble is pretty fair.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

I'm going to nominate Surge to Victory because it's an odd one and I think we can leverage it better than many. We could turn any number of our higher cost spells into game off a Velo flip (for which he will need one more power), or we can cast it prior to combat to capitalize on a big one, or just turn a bunch of flaming bald people into a big ol' slap.

Yea unto Gamble.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I have a question. What is Surge to Victory providing us that Mizzix's Mastery can't out perform? At the initial six investment, we go mana negative if we "free"cast anything under six. And it's just the one cast. Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective but I'm not sold. Perhaps we don't have enough tokens for me to see it, idk. Maybe drinks' aversion to six drops is rubbing off on me 😂. I am just feeling very skeptical on cards that are only good off a dragon trigger. 🤔

I'm gonna nay that uncivil unrest I think! I think we can do better than haste for 5 honestly.

Also RIP @3drinks when he does go back and tally cards for the last few days. Shoulda been doing this and not binging on Fire Emblem 🤣🤣

toctheyounger

I get the angle on Surge, but I was gonna suggest Mizzix's Mastery myself, and I do think it's better.

If it's a free shot this is great, if it isn't, I dunno. Not one I'm stoked to hardcast, let's put it that way.

I won't nay it, but I won't yea it either. If enough people want it I can see it.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I did a scryfall search not too long ago and the options were kinda slim for 5 MV or lower instances and sorceries.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
I have a question. What is Surge to Victory providing us that Mizzix's Mastery can't out perform? At the initial six investment, we go mana negative if we "free"cast anything under six. And it's just the one cast. Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective but I'm not sold. Perhaps we don't have enough tokens for me to see it, idk. Maybe drinks' aversion to six drops is rubbing off on me 😂. I am just feeling very skeptical on cards that are only good off a dragon trigger.
I think it's still got blowout potential. It's good off the dragon but it's pushing the combat edge of things. So if it hits Savage Beating, not only are the monks hitting for 7, but they can turn around and swing again. So just the team boost is the thing it does better. We're looking for finishers, and this has potential, especially with the number of 3+ cost cards we have. I'm not super sold on it, but I think it could make for some fun turns. Mizzix's Mastery definitely belongs here, too, for sure.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

3drinks

Whew, there's quite a bit to update on, naturally. Most notably and much to my chagrin, Birgi is confirmed. I'm really not sold on it in the least but I guess that doesn't matter because the people have spoken.

I'm also going to nay uncivil unrest as well as surge to victory, namely because I don't see Surge doing what we want on it's own and it's not even a hit without Velo being juiced in some way. I think it's too many hoops. Unrest is just too mana heavy for this effect that honestly isn't particularly good. The dragon has haste...we're really paying 5 to make it come down with a +1/+1 counter? Pretty weak. Marshal's Anthem can do that, and no one is clamouring for that to be in the list.

Have we discussed reanimation spells? w has a pretty decent number of fairly costed effects, and all but False Defeat are humanely priced. They're all hits off Velo too, so I think this is an avenue worth exploring in this deck. Worth noting that they can also save us some tax on the inevitable first time the dragon does bite the dust.

At any rate, let's put @toctheyounger and myself on the clock. And, as much as I was going to run with price of progress (which is decidedly not great in casual games, apparently...), I'm instead going to get that ball rolling with Miraculous Recovery.

Birgi, God of Storytelling yay - 3 nay - 1
Ken, Burning Brawler yay - 3 nay - 0
Gamble yay - 3 nay - 0

Twinferno yay - 2 nay - 1
Uncivil Unrest yay - 2 nay - 2
Surge to Victory yay - 0 nay - 2
Miraculous Recovery yay - 0 nay - 0
aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
Also RIP @3drinks when he does go back and tally cards for the last few days. Shoulda been doing this and not binging on Fire Emblem 🤣🤣
Ohhh, you got jokes Lish! If you don't watch out, I'ma make you sit through another 15min end step of watching me utilize Salvaging Station again... ;)

3drinks

Gonna bring this forward and remind us where we're at.
Community Deck Build Project v5.0b

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

toctheyounger

Yea Recovery. Good card, if we need to it helps us recast our Dragony boy.

I think Jeska's Will should be in here, there's my nomination.

It's a great flip from Velo, or prior to combat. In fact with that sequencing, pre-combat, it lets us see literally 10% of our deck in one turn. That's kinda crazy. It also helps get Velo in early if needed too. It's touching the ceiling of our budget, but there's a good reason for it, it's a very versatile card that's rarely dead.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago

I'm also going to nay uncivil unrest as well as surge to victory, namely because I don't see Surge doing what we want on it's own and it's not even a hit without Velo being juiced in some way. I think it's too many hoops. Unrest is just too mana heavy for this effect that honestly isn't particularly good. The dragon has haste...we're really paying 5 to make it come down with a +1/+1 counter? Pretty weak. Marshal's Anthem can do that, and no one is clamouring for that to be in the list.
We would be actually paying 5 mana to have Velo enter with a +1/+1 counter and double its damage output, That"s 12 damage in its first hit. Add double strike, extra combat or happen to be able to equip Two-Handed Axe // Sweeping Cleave and it"s a kill.
It"s a source of haste, too.

Getting Velo to 1 extra power enables a lots of combinations that will result us a kill.

toctheyounger

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Getting Velo to 1 extra power enables a lots of combinations that will result us a kill.
Agreed, this is one deck we kind of need to actually look at voltron as a feasible win condition. We can make it happen on the fly, and I think it's worth it to leverage that.

3drinks

So we're at 53/60 slots filled. Not a lot of discussion yesterday, though I'll yay Jeska's Will.

Rounding out the cycle of players is @Crazy Monkey and @aliciaofthevast today.

Miraculous Recovery yay - 1 nay - 0
Jeska's Will yay - 1 nay - 0

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

I"ll yay Miraculous recovery. Always been a fan of its instant speed. I think Jeska"s will deserves a yay, too.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Ohhhh, we're almost at the finish line, so I want to get Ardent Elementalist in there!

I'll also yay miraculous and jeska's!

3drinks

Looks like jeska's will and miraculous recovery have been confirmed. And I'll toss the first yay onto Ardent Elementalist, should be plenty of targets I think.

New cycle, let's put @RxPhantom and @toctheyounger on the clock. We're at 55/60 so we're at the wire and we've got a few cards sitting in the queue waiting for deciding votes.

Miraculous Recovery yay - 3 nay - 0
Jeska's Will yay - 3 nay - 0

Ardent Elementalist yay - 1 nay - 0

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I don't know if I voted on Twinferno... yay
I know I yayed Uncivil Unrest, I think I will change my vote to a Nay. It's just so much mana for very little effect on our game.
Surge to Victory I actually really like, yay
Ardent Elementalist seems worse than Reconstruct History. I don't want to Nay, but I know I would rather have RH in the deck instead.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Sorry all. I'm on vacation, but I think @Dunharrow is right. Nay to Ardent Elementalist and I'll nominate Reconstruct History.

3drinks

I think there's room for both Ardent Elementalist and Reconstruct History to be in the deck tbh, even if I did forget reconstruct history was a card. Chances are we're going to want more than one Regrowth, right? So I'll yay it, and consider dunharrow's post above to also be a yay since I believe the intent is clearly there. Twinferno's third vote brings us to 56/60 slots.

At any rate, it's Sunday so I'll put myself on the clock alongside @Moonlighter. And my nomination will be Charmbreaker Devils.

Twinferno yay - 3 nay - 1
Uncivil Unrest yay - 1 nay - 3
Surge to Victory yay - 1 nay - 2
Ardent Elementalist yay - 1 nay - 1
Reconstruct History yay - 2 nay - 0
Charmbreaker Devils yay - 0 nay - 0

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Yay reconstruct, nay the rest. We can do better.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”