The Community Deck Build Project v6.0

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago

Not Forgotten looks a little too low impact but maybe there's a similar card in these colors that does that?
Sadly not much else in Boros to put cards.on top of the library Outside of blue, I only use Not Forgotten and Penance in Elsha.

it does have good political traction. People love getting stuff back. I use it a lot to get opponents to reuse their removal.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I really like Not Forgotten in this deck. Yay.

Are we going to try and buff Velo to cast bigger spells or are we mostly going to stick to 5 MV?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Oh. That's actually a point against austere then, huh, it can't be free cast without help. Nothing that Cathedral of War doesn't fix, though yeah I'd say in general our dragon is already a massive investment. I wouldn't want to try and time more into it. Maybe like Brilliant Halo / Undying Rage but those are kinda jank.

Henlock

I am thinking that +1 power, double strike or double damage input and an extra combat are a kill. That"s a lot, though

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Yeah I was definitely gonna suggest one or two good options for power boost and keywords. There's a couple good options. I don't think we go all in there though. Just the best we can arrange and options that we'd be happy to see if Velo eats it and we don't have access to him.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Not Forgotten yay - 1 nay - 0
Austere Command yay - 1 nay - 1

As of present, we're still 14/15 in interaction slots, but now that we're coming back from the weekend, these numbers should be filled in today I'm sure.

So with that, interaction slots are likely filled, ramp slots are filled, card advantage/selection slots are filled, I guess that means we can start fitting in The Sauce™ now? We'll start @toctheyounger and @Moonlighter for this phase.
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
I am thinking that +1 power, double strike or double damage input and an extra combat are a kill. That"s a lot, though
I'm not so sure. With +2 power you have a three turn clock while adding double strike or extra combat to that makes it a two turn. I don't think it's worth committing this much for a two turn given you only get the return if you have all these at once. And double strike isn't enough on it's own (a three turn, just like a +2 power). Extra combat at least gives you another spin of the wheel with Velo. Math suggests a Runechanter's Pike|brr + extra combat will pay off more without losing slots on, say, Psychotic Fury or Temur Battle Rage.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

We've thrown it around a few times, so I'll just put it up for confirmation: Monastery Mentor. And I'll yay Not Forgotten. We're in a cool place to use that better than some.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Henlock

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago

I'm not so sure. With +2 power you have a three turn clock while adding double strike or extra combat to that makes it a two turn. I don't think it's worth committing this much for a two turn given you only get the return if you have all these at once. And double strike isn't enough on it's own (a three turn, just like a +2 power). Extra combat at least gives you another spin of the wheel with Velo. Math suggests a Runechanter's Pike|brr + extra combat will pay off more without losing slots on, say, Psychotic Fury or Temur Battle Rage.
Indeed, anything that can give +6 to Velo is a kill with an extra combat. Blackblade Reforged is another option.

We have a double strike effect in Boros Charm, and we might sneak Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

Effects that double damage output or creature"s power can be combined, too.

I really like Two-Handed Axe // Sweeping Cleave. The idea of hitting a Chandra"s Ignition with it equipped gives me a fuzzy warm feeling.

Lrt"s not forget that only a few extra combat spells work when cast with Velo. So we.might need.to.lean into nonspell effects such as Hexplate Wallbreaker or Karlach, Fury of Avernus

3drinks

I think, hmmm. That Two-Handed Axe is pretty spicy here, it really does tick a lot of boxes.

toctheyounger

Yea for Mentor. If it hadn't come up I'd have thrown it out there for sure. Yea Not Forgotten too. If there's a deck for it it's this one.

I've got a couple of cool pieces up my sleeve that I'm hoping to see or I'll suggest. I'm not certain on this one but it's always performed very well for me.

Akroma's Will. Easy topdeck flip, but also quite versatile for use defensively too.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Monastery mentor gets a yay from me! And I think Not Forgotten is confirmed now.

What is akroma's will doing for us here at four mana? How often is this the card we pick? How often is this just expensive boros charm?

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
Monastery mentor gets a yay from me! And I think Not Forgotten is confirmed now.

What is akroma's will doing for us here at four mana? How often is this the card we pick? How often is this just expensive boros charm?
Well my thinking was it lets us hit pretty hard when we do swing. Plus with prowess monks it ends up going taller. I guess it gets us closer to the magical 21 if we're aiming for that, and if we're doing extra combats it'll amplify those too. Also gives us protection from board wipes and incoming combat damage if we need it too.

I don't know if it's the most amazing piece here, but I've seen it do really good work in other builds.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay Mentor and Akroma's Will. Nay on Austere Command only because we have so many board wipes already. I'd be amenable to considering a swap after we finish the preliminary 99. I'd also like as many spells as possible that are castable with Velo without outside assistance.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Lrt"s not forget that only a few extra combat spells work when cast with Velo. So we.might need.to.lean into nonspell effects such as Hexplate Wallbreaker or Karlach, Fury of Avernus
The only one I can think of that's not optimal with Velo is Response // Resurgence. Buuuuuuut...Savage Beating, Relentless Assault, and World at War should all work, even though that last one's rebound won't work if we use it with Velo.

3drinks

Not Forgotten has been confirmed. Austere Command is at 1-2 nay, and I'll swing it to the third nay with my vote to knock it out. This hits our 15 interaction slots. I'll yay Monastery Mentor to confirm it too. I suspect Akroma's Will is just a mana heavy combat trick and I don't like it at four so I'll go against the grain and nay it.

I'll put myself and @Dunharrow on the clock, now that we're through the basic necessities of a deck phase. As much as I wanna nominate that two-handed axe, I'm instead going to slam Invoke Calamity. Man I love this card.

Akroma's Will yay - 1 nay - 1
Invoke Calamity yay - 0 nay - 0

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Hey so the last week has been hell and this is the first time I log in.
There was an Ice Storm in Montreal, I lost power for a week. I had gastro, my kid had gastro.
I have no idea what has happened in the last week, what's in the deck, etc.

I will yay Will and Calamnity

I will nominate Arcane Bombardment
I think it's the only other red spellslinger enchantment we should be considering (after double vision). It gets out of control really quickly, and does best with a mix of cheap spells and bigger spells, which is what we have.
For example, if you have Chandra's Ignition exiled with it, your 1 mana instants become wraths.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

Those are both fun. Yay to Invoke Calamity and Arcane Bombardment.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Henlock

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
The only one I can think of that's not optimal with Velo is Response // Resurgence. Buuuuuuut...Savage Beating, Relentless Assault, and World at War should all work, even though that last one's rebound won't work if we use it with Velo.
Spells that reference "this main phase" do nothing if cast outside the main phase, according to the rulings. Only savage beating and world at war work when cast with Velo.

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
There was an Ice Storm in Montreal, I lost power for a week. I had gastro, my kid had gastro.
Man, I hope everything is going to calm down for you. And I knew you'd go for arcane bombardment.

toctheyounger

Calamity is sweet. Yea from me. Bombardment is great too so another yea.

Dunharrow

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Man, I hope everything is going to calm down for you. And I knew you'd go for arcane bombardment.
At least I am holding off on possibility storm
I must run it in 4-5 IRL decks

As far as calming down goes... child #2 due any day now

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Spells that reference "this main phase" do nothing if cast outside the main phase, according to the rulings. Only savage beating and world at war work when cast with Velo.
I noticed this when reading over the Karlach + Hexplate iteration, and how you'd get two combats but would only get one effectively! Tricky wording I think 🙄

Yay for both calamity and the bombardment. Finally, a fantastic bombardment that isn't all about goblins!

Henlock

Yay to both Calamity and Bombardment.

3drinks

Oof. Dunharrow bouta be a two time father, RIP your Magic time I suspect. Congrats on fatherhood though all the same!

Dunharrow

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Oof. Dunharrow bouta be a two time father, RIP your Magic time I suspect. Congrats on fatherhood though all the same!
What magic time?
I have not played in-store since January 2020
I have played paper magic about 6-7 times since then.
I do play mtga a bit, but it's really not the same as sitting with friends.

I told my playgroup that we can draft my boxes around 2035. Because I fully expect kid 3 will come around eventually.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”