Secret Commander Fable of Wolf and Owl deck, is there a better general than Chulane?

kraus911
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

Title says what my goal is, I love Fable of Wolf and Owl and want it to be my secret commander hidden in the 99 (not really interested in rule zero actually make it my commander), with token doublers and synergies and and overrun or two, or +1/+1 counters, or both.

Obviously my focus is on casting blue and green spells, so simic generals are an option. None of them makes it easy to get the fable though, that I can see. Best of the simic options seems Momir Vig, Simic Visionary. Momir could tutor a Spellseeker into a Solve the Equation into a Long-Term Plans to get fable and put it 3 down where simic can draw it easily.

The other two options that make it easier to get Fable would be Bant and Sultai (don't want to go 4 color because of too much dilution of the spells that trigger Fable). Then I have access to tutors that can get any card or enchantments specifically.

In Sultai I like Tatsunari, Toad Rider for the enchantment synergy, then I'm probably looking at some good UG enchantments to trigger Fable. Muldrotha, the Gravetide is just value letting me repeat Fable triggers from the gy, or even cast Fable from the gy. Not sure there's another Sultai option that synergizes. But Muldrotha... not a huge fan.

I could also go enBantress. Tuvasa the Sunlit or Estrid, the Masked, again going for enchantment synergies and all the good white enchantment tutors.

But sadly, as I think about it, Chulane, Teller of Tales seems ideal, letting me bounce and replay my Risen Reef to make wolves and owls. Only Chulane is more egregious to me than Muldrotha in terms of boring overplayed value train.

That's where I'm at in my cogitatin' I'd love suggestions, thoughts!!

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

Momir can also get Ethereal Usher to transmute into Fable of Wolf and Owl.

Spellseeker can't get Solve the Equation as only get 2cmc or less, but you could get Merchant Scroll for Long-Term Plans.
Intuition is another search instant, for example choose Fable of Wolf and Owl, Eternal Witness, Shigeki, Jukai Visionary.

Kaho, Minamo Historian is another proxy searcher for Long-Term Plans or Intuition.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

I think I last played Fable in Moritte of the Frost, so I could have two, but there were lots of things to copy with Moritte. I would strongly consider Adrix and Nev, Twincasters, since it's basically a second Fable.

Finding Fable shouldn't be too hard in simic; any creature search in green that can find Ethereal Usher (as darrinhabib has pointed out) helps, though that might not be great in terms of mana efficiency.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Having an enchantment as a secret commander is challenging, as I have found out with my Wild Pair deck. Using black gives you all the unconditional tutors, which is one of the most efficient ways to find it. Having white gives you Enlightened Tutor, Idyllic Tutor, Moon-Blessed Cleric, Academy Rector and others for finding enchantments. Too bad it is not as easy as cheating an artifact into play, but jumping through the hoops is half the challenge. The other half is keeping it in play without command zone protection.

Tutoring Ethereal Usher in is possibly more painful then me playing Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer for 6 mana every game to find Moon-Blessed Cleric. At least it doesn't cost you a draw step ;) . It doesn't cost me a card from hand to tutor my enchantment, compared to using a creature tutor to find your enchantment tutor. I'd probably splash a 3rd color for ease of tutoring.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

I forgot about Ethereal Usher , which I have pretty foil of. Yeah it's not mana efficient, but it's an option.

I think Moritte and Adrix both go in the deck if not the helm.

There are a few Intuition options.

The more I think about adding a third color the less I want dead cards that won't trigger Fable, so I think sultai would be the way to go since unconditional tutors can at least always get a Growth Spiral or utility UG thing. I like Tatsunari, but if I want to avoid Muldrotha, Zaxara, the Exemplary is a mana dork and Tasigur, the Golden Fang is card advantage. Thrasios, Triton Hero combined with somebody is also decent as Thrasios triggers Fable. Maybe Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools or Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel for token or card draw synergies.

I could also Bribery for someone's Academy Rector, or steal an Enlightened Tutor from their deck/gy with Knowledge Exploitation (expensive unless I have some rogue density in the deck) or Flawless Forgery or Spelltwine (less mana but still a lot).

Thanks for all the ideas!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”