The DCC - September 19, 2019

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Sorry this was late, I had to score the CCL.

DCC Scoreboard

bravelion83 52 (+8)
Sagharri 51 (+0)
slimytrout 48 (+3)
emily 45 (+3)
RattingRots 41 (+4)
netn10 37 (+2)
Rithaniel 33 (+1)
void_nothing 32 (+3)
shukkets 31 (+0)
Krishnath 15 (+0)
Henlock 13
Ink-Treader 12
marioguy3 7
Legend 6
kwanyeegor-ii 2

RattingRots wrote:
4 years ago
bravelion83, slimytrout

HM: netn10

Horizon Pursuant 2W
Creature - Human Explorer (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal a permanent card with converted mana cost 2 or less from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
1/1
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
emily, rithaniel (although I don't think it really needs to be 3-color and also don't know what's up with the weird latin name: "they twist of fate"?)

hm: almost voted for rattingrots, but I think it's substantially too strong to be common -- straight up 4-mana draw two at instant speed is already a reasonable common card, and I don't think an extra U in the casting cost balances out adding a counterspell mode.

Iriva, Determined Entomologist 1G
Legendary Creature – Human Druid (R)
Whenever a nontoken Insect you control dies, exile it as long as it doesn't share a name with a card exiled by Iriva, Determined Entomologist. Whenever you exile a card this way, put a +1/+1 counter on Iriva and draw a card.
"And this one can spit acid at you from thirty paces!"
2/2
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes:
void_nothing
RattingRots (though formatting is wrong and I partly share slimytrout's concerns, but I just love the design)
replies
Show
Hide
emily
Really weird indeed. Neither of them are hyphenated in the Italian translation, that's why I had never seen the title spelled with a hyphen before. This a new thing I've learned today, so thank you.
Also, honorable mention for you today. I like the card but I'd prefer it as BR or BG.

slimytrout
I was convinced that you had to spell out in rules text what happens in case of a tie. Your Topple example proves me wrong, so disregard my earlier point. Another thing I learned today.
Mardu Raider 3R
Creature — Human (U)
Dash 1RR (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
Raid — At the beginning of your postcombat main phase, if you attacked with a creature this turn, add R.
"Look what I've been able to steal!"
3/2
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, void_nothing

Once Forgotten Merfolk
Creature - Merfolk (Uncommon)
Of Memory(You may exile this card from your hand. Whenever you cast a merfolk spell, if Once Forgotten Merfolk is in exile, put a retrieval counter on Once Forgotten Merfolk. Then if there are three or more retrieval counters on Once Forgotten Merfolk, remove all counters from Once Forgotten Merfolk, then put Once Forgotten Merfolk onto the battlefield.)
Hexproof
2/3
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
RattingRots, netn10,
Notes
Show
Hide
Yay, artifact day finally! Introducing a new artifact subtype: Tomes. A Tome is a magical artifact associated in some way with knowledge. They are usually books of some sort, but even scrolls and tablets could be considered Tomes. Ideally, when introduced in a set, they, like all new noncreature types, should have a few support cards. Blue would be the obvious primary color for the support, but even white and black should have some. Anyway, on to today's card.
Dragon Lore Vol. VII 4
Legendary Artifact - Tome (Mythic)
Indestructible
3, T: Search your library for a dragon card and reveal it. Shuffle your library, then put the revealed card on top of it.
Dragon spells you cast cost 2 less to cast.
Rithaniel wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: RattingRots, emily
Reply to slimytrout
Show
Hide
I was having trouble coming up with names yesterday, so I went on google translate and typed in "twist of fate" to translate it to latin. Not my smoothest moment, but I was considerably out-of-it yesterday.
Also
Show
Hide
Oh no, I just realized I made Fati Torquent say "target player" instead of "target opponent," which completely changes the functionality of the card!
Goldheart Crusader 1GW
Creature - Rhino Knight U
Indestructible
If one or more -1/-1 counters would be put on a creature you control, you may put those counters on Goldheart Crusader instead.
"I will carry this burden for you."
3/3
Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: void_nothing, bravelion83

Mage of Third Eye 2U
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
Whenever you cast third spell each turn, draw a card.
"Just open it and you will see the truth."
2/2
shukkets wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, slimytrout

Quadruple Accel 3RW
Instant (M)
After the next declare blockers step and before the next combat damage step, there are three additional combat damage steps. Each creature you control deals combat damage during each of those additional combat damage steps in addition to whenever they would've dealt combat damage otherwise.
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: RattingRot, emily

Food for Thought U
Sorcery (Rare)
Create a food token. Then, you may sacrifice any number of foods. Draw a card for each food sacrificed this way.
emily wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, netn10

Fleeting Impostor 2UU
Creature — Shapeshifter (R)
Flash
Evoke 2UU (You may cast this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
You may have Fleeting Impostor enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield.
0/0
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, slimytrout

Mindbending Advice XUB
Sorcery (R)
Scry X, then choose a nonland card name. Exile the top X cards of your library. For each card with the chosen name exiled in this way, put it into your hand and you lose 1 life.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 4 years ago

netn10, emily
a bit more on emily's card
Show
Hide
I love this card, but I'm ambivalent about making the main casting cost the same as the evoke cost.

First of all I think clone with flash is probably pushing it, so personally making it 3UU or something might be better just from a balance perspective.

As for making the costs equal, I think it is interesting in that it naturally leads you to go "OK why would I evoke it" and from there come up with ways to use it with death triggers or similar. While I somewhat like this aspect, it's offset by the fact that you can find a way to copy a death trigger with other means and the benefit of the evoke isn't that great that it's worth not just doing the more "obvious" version where you get a discount for evoking.
Exhaustive Research XUU
Sorcery (R)
Look at the top five cards of your library. Put X into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Votes: Rithaniel, emily

Boros Instructor 3RR
Creature — Minotaur Warrior (U)
Mentor (Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on target attacking creature with lesser power.)
Boros Instructor has trample as long as you control a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it.
"Here, let me show you how to crush down a wall using only your body weight!"
4/3
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, emily (interesting take on a clone).
Notes
Show
Hide
netn10, the card is interesting, but it does something blue isn't supposed to do on its own: Gain life. The sacrifice part is fine, the creation of a food token is not.

Also, I've finally come around to lands again. This is another attempt at a balanced dual land, the wording is very similar to that of Rupture Spire and the like, except it enters tapped if you don't pay instead of getting sacrificed. It should work ruleswise.
Caldera Atoll
Land - Island Mountain (Rare)
(T: Add U or R.)
As Caldera Atoll enters the battlefield, you may pay 1. If you don't, it enters the battlefield tapped.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Votes: emily, Sagharri

Field Plant Farmer
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Hexproof
Parley - : Each player reveals the top card of their library. For each nonland card revealed this way, add one mana of any color. Then each player draws a card.
Whenever an opponent draws a card, create a 0/1 green plant token.
3/3
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, Rithaniel

Hungry Bloodfang 1R
Creature - Ogre Warrior (U)
Defender
R, Sacrifice a creature or Food: Hungry Bloodfang loses defender until end of turn.
4/4
Last edited by Sagharri 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

rithaniel, sagharri

Davriel, Lord of Shadows BB
Legendary Planeswalker – Davriel (MR)
Whenever a player discards a card, put a loyalty counter on Davriel, Lord of Shadows.
0: Starting with you, each player may discard a card. Each player who does creates a 2/2 black Demon creature token with menace.
-4: Until end of turn, each creature you control gains "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may exile target card from that player's graveyard. You may play that card without paying its mana cost."
notes
Show
Hide
Yes, it's deliberate that the "You may play..." ability is attached to each creature. That way, if your opponent wants to stop you from getting access to a specific spell with instant-speed removal, they can do so.
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

shukkets

Post by shukkets » 4 years ago

Votes: marioguy3, rithaniel

Polymerization 1UU
Sorcery (R)
Exile any number of permanent cards from your hand and exile any number of target permanents you own. Then, choose one:
-Choose one permanent exiled this way and meld it, if able, with any other permanents exiled this way.
-Create a X/X blue Mutant creature, where X is equal to the number of permanents exiled this way.

emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Answers: 1
Pronoun: she / her

Post by emily » 4 years ago

Votes: Krishnath, Rithaniel
Krishnath
Show
Hide
I feel like the activation cost is a little pushed even considering that it's to the top of your library instead of straight to your hand, but it's a super cool card regardless. One of my favorites for the whole month, in fact!
Ethereal Brawler 1UU
Creature — Illusion Warrior (R)
Hexproof
Ethereal Brawler can't be blocked.
When Ethereal Brawler becomes the target of a spell or an ability, it loses all abilities. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
2/1
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

Votes: RattingRots, emily

Re-Axiomatize
Instant C
Look at the bottom three cards of your library. You may exile any number of those cards and put the rest on top of your library in any order.
Entirely restructuring how you think about something is often a path to madness. However, sometimes, it's also necessary.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, emily

Listen to your Heart 5RR
Sorcery (Mythic)
Exile all cards from your hand, then reveal that many cards from the top of your library. You may cast any number of them without paying their mana costs.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, shukkets

Coalition Plume 1
Artifact (R)
Flash
When Coalition Plume enters the battlefield, target creature that's one or more colors gets +1/+2 until end of turn.
Activated abilities of sources you control that are one or more colors cost 1 less to activate if their activation costs include a color of mana that source isn't.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

Votes: netn10, RattingRots

[mention]Krishnath[/mention]
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago

netn10, the card is interesting, but it does something blue isn't supposed to do on its own: Gain life. The sacrifice part is fine, the creation of a food token is not.
Er, not quite. Creating food tokens is within blue's color pie.

Turn into a Pumpkin

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”