January MCC -- Round 2 -- Many Multitudes

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

(This month's banner is my own creation, made with Blender and a little math.)

January MCC

Many Multitudes

So, I personally make magic cards because I like playing around with a system. Just give me the basic logic of the system and I'll see if I can do things within it. However, when I started playing around with what kind of color combinations you can make use of in MtG, I found that there was a lot of stuff that had just never been explored. Of course, everyone knows the five colors, the ten guilds, the ten shards and wedges, the five quartets, and then "all colors," and "colorless," but those are just the beginning.

What happens if you start throwing hybrid mana into the mix? Or using alternate costs to allow the player to cast a spell with multiple different color combinations? What happens if you start disregarding the rotational symmetry of the wheel? There are so many unexplored things you can do you with colors and mana, but which never get touched.

This round's challenge encourages you to play around with some of these mana costs combinations that have never been seen before.

Main Challenge -- Design a card with two different casting costs which don't share any colors.

Subchallenge 1 -- Each cost requires at least two colors of mana to cast.

Subchallenge 2 -- The card has two or more card types.

Clarifications
Show
Hide

Main Challenge -- Cards like Smiting Helix, Fire // Ice, Kianne, Dean of Substance // Imbraham, Dean of Theory all work for the main challenge. Also, something like Slitherhead also works, since you can always cast it for or for . Something like Breaking // Entering fails, since both sides require , as does Messenger Falcons, because its casting cost always requires .

Your card can have more that two casting costs, if you want.

Subchallenge -- In order to satisfy the first subchallenge, all costs for the card must include two colors. This would be satisfied by Breaking // Entering and Messenger Falcons, but not by Smiting Helix, Fire // Ice, Kianne, Dean of Substance // Imbraham, Dean of Theory, or Slitherhead.

The costs can also include more than two mana, but, since there are only five colors, the challenges can't all be met if one cost has more than three colors, so effectively you have one cost with two colors and one cost with two or three different colors.

Subchallenge -- In order to satisfy the second subchallenge, the card must be two or more of land, instant, sorcery, creature, artifact, enchantment, planeswalker, or tribal.

The second subchallenge just counts card types that appear on any type line on the card. Cards like Shepherd of the Flock // Usher to Safety, Wandering Archaic // Explore the Vastlands, Soul Seizer // Ghastly Haunting, Incubation // Incongruity, or Valki, God of Lies // Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor all satisfy this challenge, though perhaps not the others.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Friday, January 20th 23:59 -- Eastern Standard Time

Judging deadline: Monday, January 23rd 23:59 -- Eastern Standard Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide

The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form.

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Rithaniel
Ink-Treader

PLAYERS

@bravelion83
@kwanyeegor-ii
@netn10
@slimytrout
@Subject16
@MonoRedMage
@void_nothing
@haywire
Last edited by Rithaniel 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Blade-Armed Exhumer 4WB
Artifact Creature — Construct (R)
Prototype 2RG 3/2 (You may cast this spell with different mana cost, colors, and size. It keeps its abilities and types.)
First strike
Whenever Blade-Armed Exhumer deals combat damage to a player, you may return a nonartifact creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
4/6
Last edited by bravelion83 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Fragment of Nyx 2WB
Enchantment Creature — Elemental (U)
Constellation — Whenever Fragment of Nyx of another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, create two tapped Treasure tokens.
Evoke RG (You may cast this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
3/2

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Idea of Purification GW
Enchantment Creature - Spirit (Rare)
When Idea of Purification enters the battlefield, choose target enchantment you don't control. That enchantment phases out until Idea of Purification leaves the battlefield.
Recite 2UB (You may cast this creature from your graveyard for its Recite cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with a "This permanent is an enchantment and loses all other types." counter on it.)
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Dreamwield Phalanx 2GU
Enchantment Creature - Human Soldier (M)
Flash
When Dreamwield Phalanx enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, creatures you control gain hexproof until end of turn. If you cast it from your graveyard, creatures you control gain double strike until end of turn.
At end of combat on your turn, if you attacked with a creature this turn, untap target creature you control, then put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
Escape - 2RW, Exile four other cards from your graveyard.
2/4
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Eidolon of Excision 2WB
Enchantment Creature - Spirit (U)
Bestow 1GU (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Flying
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying.
When Eidolon of Excision enters the battlefield, destroy up to one target permanent that shares a card type with it.
1/1

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Cosima, God of Doomskars 1WU
Legendary Creature - God (Mythic)
Vigilance
WU, T: Exile Cosima, God of Doomskars. As long as it's exiled this way, whenever you cast an artifact, enchantment, or foretold spell or foretell a card, you may put a voyage counter on Cosima. If you don't, return Cosima to the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, create X tapped Treasure tokens, and exile all other nonland permanents with mana value X or less, where X is the number of voyage counters on Cosima.
2/3
/MDFC/
Kullfari, Realmcleave Ship 4BRG
Legendary Artifact - Vehicle (Mythic)
Double strike
When Kullfari, Realmcleave Ship enters the battlefield, if you cast it, destroy all lands.
T, Pay X life, Exile X land cards from your graveyard: Create X 2/3 red Demon Berserker creature tokens with menace.
Crew 6
6/6
Last edited by kwanyeegor-ii 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

haywire

Post by haywire » 1 year ago

Experimental Manaform
Creature — Elemental Dog {R}
. , Sacrifice Experimental Manaform: Copy target multicolored instant spell you control. You may choose new targets for the copies.
3/2
//
Infinite Recurrence
Instant — Adventure
You draw a card and you gain 1 life. Each opponent loses 1 life.
Flashback

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Syr Glaewydd, Dancing Mace 3UR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Knight {R}
Menace, vigilance, ward 2
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, Syr Glaewydd gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
3/3
/
Deathly Waltz 2BG
Instant - Adventure
Exile target nonland card from a player's graveyard. You may cast that card from exile as though it had flash as long as you control an attacking creature.

Rithaniel

Alright, that's that for round 2. Now @Ink-Treader and I will conduct our judgments. I've randomized the lists and top two from each group go to round three. The goal is to get everything finished up by Monday.

As with last time, if we get done early, the thread will still go up on Tuesday the 24th, to give time to change details.

Rithaniel's Group
Subject16
void_nothing
MonoRedMage
netn10

Ink-Treader's Group
haywire
bravelion83
kwanyeegor-ii
slimytrout
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Alright, I'm satisfied with my judgments; they are done.
haywire
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy thinks copying things is neat, but this is overly narrow I think to excite them. Johnny finds it a bit more interesting, as it might be some sort of engine or solid enabler. Spike most appreciates a creature that is hard to permanently kill and serves as a good source of card advantage, but is a bit turned off by how narrow the activated ability is.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The pieces themselves are pretty simple, but the interaction of flashback with an Adventure might confuse some, though the name helps.

Development
(2/3) Viability - The creature is fine as red and blue. While red or blue could do this, I do think having a multicolored card copy multicolored spells is a thing WotC would prefer. That being said, they would also prefer "instant or sorcery", I feel. The Adventure as hybrid white and black is a bend in white that does happen on occasion, but not often. Rare seems appropriate for what this does.
(2/3) Balance - The creature is pretty underwhelming, with the Adventure and its interactions doing the heavy lifting. Needing three colors to pull off any kind of loop with this seems quite fair, though I think this is perhaps too cautious.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This does some familiar things, but as a package it's definitely highly unique.
(1/3) Flavor - Why is it a Dog? That feels absolutely unnecessary where Elemental alone would suffice. The Adventure and the creature don't quite feel congruent with each other, and the Adventure's name feels as if it has more to do with the gimmick than the actual effect.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Since this only makes one copy, it should be "choose new targets for the copy", not "for the copies". From my research, I'm fairly certain the Adventure would be formatted differently, likely as "Each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life. Draw a card."
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Correct.
(1/2) Subchallenges - So this does indeed have the required amount of card types, but the Adventure fails the first subchallenge because it doesn't require both white and black to cast it; either alone would suffice.

Total: 17.5/25
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy and Spike both like this well enough. Johnny has little interest.
(3/3) Elegance - Nothing confusing here, beyond Prototype's oddities.

Development
(2/3) Viability - Works fine in both color pairs, though white or black could get away with this alone. It is slightly unusual for RG, namely the Raise Dead effect, but green can support it. I feel like this could be an uncommon. Perhaps that would make it problem in Limited, but I'm unsure.
(2.5/3) Balance - At most, I'd say both sides could get away with being costed more aggressively (1 less). Otherwise, this is fine.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - "nonartifact creature" seems fairly novel for a Raise Dead effect, and RG isn't a common color pair for those to appear in. Otherwise nothing too surprising.
(2/3) Flavor - Yeah, the name fits the abilities. There might be room for a little flavor text; something that explains the very different origins the colors evoke. I strongly suspect the right art could tie this together nicely.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Correct.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Costs are both 2+ colors, and it contains 2+ card types.

Total: 20.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy mostly likes the Vehicle, but perhaps is a bit apprehensive of the Armageddon. There's enough going on with the God to attract Johnny. Spike is definitely most likely to appreciate both sides, assuming the synergies are there for the God side.
(2/3) Elegance - The God side is a chore to read, but the Vehicle is simple enough.

Development
(2/3) Viability - The God does seem fine for white/blue, especially with foretell being most associated with the color pair, with only the Treasure creation being a bit iffy. Blue can do this, though it's not often as potentially massive. The BG in the Vehicle really only shows up in the cost for the activated ability, and honestly red could do it all just fine. But as a potential commander, I'll be a bit more lenient about it. Mass land destruction is very rare in this day and age, but I will admit it can also end the game afterwards. Mythic feels appropriate.
(1.5/3) Balance - The God is rather terrifying in the right deck. Focus on foretell (did it really need to trigger on both foretelling and casting the foretold spell?) and using disposable artifacts and enchantments and with an instant speed option this can come back on the opponent's end step and wipe the path for itself to rapidly end the game. The Vehicle is massively splashy, but feels a bit more fair. It will end the game if not immediately stopped, but for seven mana that's not unreasonable. On the other hand, it will also slow the game down immensely if it is responded to after it's come in.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - The God side is essentially Cosima+, trading card draw for very rapid growth and a board wipe. The Vehicle doesn't have many direct comparisons. Overall I'd say it's certainly fresh.
(1.5/3) Flavor - This so desperately wants to have flavor text (that it admittedly has no room for) to explain what's going on here. Why is Cosima now associated with Doomskars and the demons of Immersturm. Why is the boat also green? I don't think it's too much of a stretch for Cosima and doomskars to be associated, but the demons too?

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - I think the God side technically needs to gain that as an ability while exiled, like her original version does. I believe the triggered ability should be "Whenever you cast an artifact or enchantment spell, or cast a spell that's foretold, or foretell a card...". Pairing "foretold", which isn't a card type with artifact and enchantment like that seems wrong, but it's a highly novel situation.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Correct
(2/2) Subchallenges - Costs are different colors from each other, and there's 2 card types across the two faces.

Total: 19/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Rather small for Timmy, and fairly blunt for Johnny (though there's some cute potential with giving it extra card types). Spike likes it well enough, especially since Bestow has built in protection from its target being removed.
(3/3) Elegance - The trick here can be easy to miss, but most of the inelegance comes from Bestow not explaining itself (namely the stack interactions) very well in the reminder text, but that's not your fault.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This is a very clever card in how it uses bestow with the triggered ability. It works for both color pairs without issue. Uncommon is appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - I don't have much to say; it seems perfectly fine for all costs involved. I like how it actively disincentivizes killing the target of the Aura, at least until after it comes in.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Fatal Grudge and Braids, Arisen Nightmare come closest to what this card does, but they require sacrificing a permanent to compare, as opposed to comparing with themselves. That aside, the rest is pretty mundane.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Name suits the triggered ability well enough, but not so much the flying. No room for flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Correct
(2/2) Subchallenges - Cost colors are different and there's two card types.

Total: 21/25
Scores (bold advances)
Show
Hide
slimytrout: 21
bravelion83: 20.5
kwanyeegor-ii: 19
haywire: 17.5
Last edited by Ink-Treader 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rithaniel

Judgments
Show
Hide
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Idea of Purification GW
Enchantment Creature - Spirit (Rare)
When Idea of Purification enters the battlefield, choose target enchantment you don't control. That enchantment phases out until Idea of Purification leaves the battlefield.
Recite 2UB (You may cast this creature from your graveyard for its Recite cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with a "This permanent is an enchantment and loses all other types." counter on it.)
2/2

Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy doesn't really see much fun to have with this card. Johnny sees possibilities for infinite recursion. Spike sees an enchantment removal spell that is probably a bit overcosted.
(3/3) Elegance - Phasing is the most difficult concept to understand, here, and that's pretty simple. I think elegance is absolutely fine.

Development
(1/3) Viability - So, this card doesn't need to be green. White would be fine with removing enchantments, and with making this spell a creature. The second cost is a good way to do this effect in blue/black, however, with blue bringing the phasing and black bringing the "enchantment you don't control." I'm least certain about this being a rare, because, while it is very persistent removal, it only targets a single enchantment, and that's not impressive enough to warrant being rare. Also, I don't know about the viability of recite as a keyword as you've expressed it. Judging from bestow, I think the text would just make it not be a creature.
(1.5/3) Balance - I think this card is underpowered. Even if it were just a Monk Realist with +1/+1, it would fairly underwhelming, but this only does an Oblivion Ring effect on an enemy enchantment. Granted, it can then be recast, but it costs even more to do so, and it doesn't even have the advantage of being a creature anymore. I do like the fact that it doesn't exile itself when it dies, allowing the removal to be persistent, but enchantment-only, temporary removal is still not a very useful form of removal.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I like the idea of a "Full line of text" counter. That's creative. Also, the overall mechanics are fairly simple, with this being either an Oubliette or a Banisher Priest for enchantments, but the fact remains that we've never seen anything that does quite what this spell does, particularly in blue/black. I think you are fine on uniqueness.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Why is the idea of purification a creature? What does it mean to "recite the idea of purification." There's some loose notions of flavor, here, but it could be more well-expressed.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Yep, seems good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it has two costs with no mana overlap.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep, it has two types and all costs are two-colored.

Total: 18/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Syr Glaewydd, Dancing Mace 3UR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Knight {R}
Menace, vigilance, ward 2
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, Syr Glaewydd gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
3/3
/
Deathly Waltz 2BG
Instant - Adventure
Exile target nonland card from a player's graveyard. You may cast that card from exile as though it had flash as long as you control an attacking creature.

Design
(3/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the idea of a dancing goblin knight who can turn into a big beatstick really fast. Johnny likes the use of the adventure to assemble parts of his combo and also might have fun trying to make Glaewydd as big as possible. Spike thinks this is a good finisher for his prowess deck.
(2.5/3) Elegance - So, the Adventure targeting nonland cards and the creature caring about noncreature spells is a little bit confusing, but not by a great degree. I think you are fine on elegance, beyond that point.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - So, the creature side of the card is good, but I'm not convinced that the instant would entirely work in black/green. Both colors bring recursion of creatures, but I don't see where the noncreature card recursion comes from, nor the flash, nor the "caring about attacking creatures" part. I understand that it's meant to bounce off of the creature form of the card, but I feel it would be better served as a white/black card or a green/white card. I also don't think the adventure needs to be an instant. The rarity, however, works just fine.
(3/3) Balance - I feel like you end up in a good place with this design. Four mana seems like a lot for single-target recursion, but then you remember that it allows stealing an opponent's cards. It's still not perfectly balanced, at that point, but there's more to the card. You realize that the Waltz is meant to give Glaewydd +3/+3 when he's attacking, and then you look at Glaewydd itself. A 3/3 for five is kinda weak, even with its three keywords, but then you realize that, with the prowess ability, it can be really strong. Without getting bogged down too much, I think the facets of the card even out and this ends up being a well-balanced card.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Recursion with a delayed casting that can be done at instant-speed is the most unique thing this card does. It's fairly new, but the rest of this card is pretty standard and simple, and the recursion isn't the main focus of the card, so I can't give full points on uniqueness.
(2.5/3) Flavor - So, there is good flavor, here. You have a clear character being portrayed, complete with a touch of backstory, but the only issue I have is that his waltz resurrect things. It's not clear why a mace-wielding goblin would be summoning the dead with his dancing, at least not without a little bit more flavor to support it.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Judging from Monk Class and Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast, the adventure probably needs to be reworded, but I think your version would probably work for reader comprehension purposes.

Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
1 year ago
Fragment of Nyx 2WB
Enchantment Creature — Elemental (U)
Constellation — Whenever Fragment of Nyx of another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, create two tapped Treasure tokens.
Evoke RG (You may cast this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
3/2

Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy just looks right past this card. Johnny would probably try to use this to generate lots of treasure tokens in some clever way. Spike isn't excited about this card, but could still find uses for it, particularly in limited.
(3/3) Elegance - Yeah, it's an extremely simple card. I cannot fault you at all on elegance. I particularly like the slickness of the evoke cost giving you two treasures for two mana.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - So, I can definitely get behind the evoke cost, and uncommon feels like a reasonable place for this, but the standard mana cost feels as though it isn't warranted. White/black does indeed get treasure tokens, but it's most often paired with a white or black mechanic to strengthen it's role in those colors. Black gets treasure tokens when creatures die. White gets treasure tokens as a taxing effect. Meanwhile, constellation implies you're using a set mechanic, which would be equally used in all colors, putting the rest of the mechanic squarely on the colors, and I don't think this works in either white or black.
(3/3) Balance - I feel that this ends up in a good place. It's strange in white/black, but this amounts to something akin to a conditional Ur-Golem's Eye with an alternate casting method, so its balance ends up just fine. If anything, this design ends up too weak outside of limited, but it does potentially provide a reasonably large amount of mana, so I could see it being used. Honestly, I don't have a lot to say as far as balance is concerned.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Well, the fact that the tokens are tapped is one interesting detail. Also, you're mixing mechanics from different planes, and that would give you some uniqueness points if the flavor bounced off it, but, as it stands, the majority of this card is just standard.
(1/3) Flavor - There's not much flavor at all, here. Why is a Fragment of Nyx a creature? Why does it produce treasure tokens? Nothing is really coalescing from the mechanics, and there is no flavor text to support it. The best thing you have going for you is an appeal to the flavor of Theros with the type line, the name, and the constellation ability.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - One of those "of" instances should be an "or."

Total: 18.5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Dreamwield Phalanx 2GU
Enchantment Creature - Human Soldier (M)
Flash
When Dreamwield Phalanx enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, creatures you control gain hexproof until end of turn. If you cast it from your graveyard, creatures you control gain double strike until end of turn.
At end of combat on your turn, if you attacked with a creature this turn, untap target creature you control, then put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
Escape - 2RW, Exile four other cards from your graveyard.
2/4

Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy likes how spectacular this creature is. Johnny might have something to figure out with the untapping creatures, but the cost is way too expensive for him to care. Spike just sees a lot of value.
(1.5/3) Elegance - The mechanics mirror each other in an elegant way, but they're doing a lot. I would even say they are doing too much. This card untaps stuff, gives hexproof, gives double strike, watches for attacking creatures, buffs creatures, and can be cast at instant speed. Ultimately, this card would have been much simpler if it were just split into two similar faces of a double-faced card.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Very nicely done. The big challenge this round was in viability, and I think you did very well on that front. Blue and white bring the untapping, green and red bring the +1/+1 counter and the concern about attacking creatures. The red/white cost brings double strike and the green/blue brings the hexproof. All these colors bring flash. It's big and splashy enough to be mythic, too. Viability is good.
(3/3) Balance - So, I'm having trouble evaluating this. The biggest thing this creature provides is instant-speed hexproof and double strike. Those are both really good things. On top of that, it allows a circumstantial, post-hoc form of vigilance and a fairly slow ability to buff creatures. These are both great sources of value, particularly after repeated swings, but they end up being minor boosts, overall. The biggest thing that this creature provides is the ability to escape and potentially give repeated instances of double strike, while continually providing those slower boosts in value. I think the design is impactful enough to really matter and potentially sway a game, but it, alone, doesn't win the game. It mainly supports other creatures, with its best solo use being a surprise 2/4 double strike blocker. So, with that in mind, I think it comes down in a place that is both powerful and fair.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - So, we've seen cards that care about being cast from the hand, but not cards that care about being cast from the graveyard. That's new and fairly exciting. Also, flash on a creature with escape is also new. Like, there's a lot of stuff that this card is doing that hasn't been done before, even outside of the mana-cost requirements from the round. Uniqueness is good.
(2/3) Flavor - So, I see a lot of mechanics here that deal with buffing allies. This phalanx gives other creatures hexproof or double strike and buffs and untaps them. The idea of it being a phalanx goes with that, but that's kinda weak flavor. The word "dreamwield" feel like it strengthens the creature being an enchantment, but I'm not sold on that entirely, either. All-in-all, you have some flavor here, but it doesn't sell me, at least not entirely.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Ten lines of text with three line breaks is definitely microtext. I think it should have been a double-faced card.

Scores
Show
Hide
Bold Advance:

• MonoRedMage - 21
  • void_nothing - 21
  • Subject16 - 18.5
  • netn10- 18
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”