December MCC Round 4 (finals) - Deviations

Locked Previous topicNext topic
bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

MCC-BRO.png
(This month's banner is my own elaboration on the art of One with the Multiverse by Liiga Smilshkalne.)

December MCC Round 4 (finals)

Deviations

As is tradition by now, this month we will celebrate the latest set, in this case The Brothers' War, by exploring its mechanics and themes, as usual in this kind of MCC months.

There are many kinds of deviations. In BRO's story we see essentially a temporal deviation, a travel back to a past that once was in between two pieces of the present. But that's just one. Maybe a bridge has broken and a road deviation has been set up. Buses also deviate their routes as a consequence. A ship might be headed right towards a huge obstacle and it might have to deviate its own route. A projectile can deviate its own trajectory if an external force acts on it. And sometimes you just have to deviate from the path you though you were walking on in your own personal life because, you know, things outside of our own control (unfortunately most of the time) do happen. Sometimes you just have to deviate from some kind of guidelines you might have even written yourself for some kind of contest on some remote place in a vast sea called "the internet", just for the sake and the duration of one single round. And maybe you think you might have already done this once before and all you have is just a vague memory of a different website from years ago, and you aren't even certain about it... Maybe back at the time when some kind of eldritch moon was rising? Maybe... But anyway, if there is a good reason, and not just because you feel like it or just because you can, is it worth to take that deviation? I don't know. I have no definitive answer to that question, yet here we are. Taking that deviation for just one round. Three finalists, three cards each. Not one card as it's written in my own guidelines, but three. Yes, that's a deviation. Yes, I know it. And yes, it was planned since the beginning. Now let's just enjoy this deviation and let's walk on it. If there were just two of us here, you could say we are a pair. There are actually more of us here, but it doesn't matter. All that matters is that we're taking this deviation together.

Main Challenge - Design a new meld pair. This means three "cards": the two front faces and the melded permanent on the combined back faces.

Subchallenge 1 - None of the three "cards" shares any of its colors with the other two.

Subchallenge 2 - None of the three "cards" is a mythic and at most one of them is a regular rare.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge
• It should be self-explanatory. You might want to check the Wiki page about meld and/or rules 701.37 and 713 in the BRO edition of the CR. They're too long to be quoted here, especially rule 713. You can go look at them yourself if you want and if you need.
• I'm using the word "cards" in quotation marks because they are actually two cards. The faces are three, but the physical cards are just two. What I'm actually referring to is the three faces, but I thought it would be more intuitive if I just called them cards.

Subchallenge 1
• They can be monocolored, multicolored, whatever you want, as long as any of the three doesn't share any color with the other two. Pick one and ask yourself: does it share any colors, even just a single one, with any of the other two? Then repeat the same question for each of the other two you didn't pick the first time. All three answers must be "no" for this Subchallenge to be met.
• You can have one or more of the three faces be colorless. If a card is colorless it can't share a color with any other cards because... yes, all together now! Colorless is not a color! A meld pair made of all colorless faces does pass this Subchallenge.
• We're talking actual color here (mana cost and color indicator), not color identity. You can have all the overlapping colored mana symbols in the rules text that you want.

Subchallenge 2
• Yes, the back face of a meld pair has a rarity if you have never realized before. On all six existing meld pairs, three from EMN and three from BRO, you can find it in the information at the bottom of the card. The three ones from EMN also have a colored expansion symbol, while the ones from BRO do not but they still have that little "M" at the bottom, so they also do have a rarity.
• So far, all six existing meld pairs have a mythic back face except for Chittering Host which is a common. This subchallenge also asks you to deviate from the established pattern and asks you to avoid mythic at all and allows you to use regular rare only a single time out of the three "cards". The other two must be both either common or uncommon. It's up to you to choose if you want one of the three to be regular rare at all (having all three of them being common or uncommon is also a valid option here), and if so, which one. It could be the front face with the meld ability, the front face that gets melded with the first one, or the combined back face. Your choice.
• Yes, the only existing cards that would pass this Subchallenge are the Rats from EMN. None of the other five would. It's about time for a deviation, isn't it?

If you have any questions, post them in the MCC discussion thread.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, January 9th, 2023 23:59 EST Tuesday, January 10th, 2023 23:59 EST

Judging deadline: Monday, January 16th, 2023 23:59 EST

Yes, it's totally intentional to give players one whole week to design and myself one whole week to judge. After all, each player will essentially have to design three cards instead of just one, and I will have to judge nine even though I'll treat each meld pair as a single entity... Yes, I've known this since the beginning. For once, I expected this month to bleed into the next one exactly because of this. If you noticed, I don't think I've ever brought up this month my usual point about finishing within the month, and if you wonder, knowing this round was coming is exactly the reason why I haven't done that.

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

bravelion83

PLAYERS

@slimytrout
@void_nothing
@marioguy3

A reminder to everyone:
In the MCC, putting rarity on cards is mandatory! If you don't put a rarity on your card, expect huge deductions in both Viability AND Quality.
Please check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ if you have the will and time. Link in my signature. Among the many things you can find there are a detailed explanation of the rubric (section 6.2) and the recommended card formatting (section 4) that you should use to format your text cards. Expect deductions in Quality otherwise.
Last edited by bravelion83 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Narset's Faithful Puppy
Creature - Dog (Uncommon)
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to and dealt by Narset's Faithful Puppy.
: You gain 2 life. Each player draws a card. Activate only once each turn.
2/3

Narset's Supercharged Cat
Creature - Cat (Uncommon)
Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on Narset's Supercharged Cat. It gains trample until end of turn.
At the beginning of your end step, if you both own and control Narset's Supercharged Cat and a creature named Narset's Faithful Puppy, exile them, then meld them into Chromasara, Hypervigilant.
4/3

Chromasara, Hypervigilant
()Legendary Creature - Cat Dog (Rare)
Double strike, vigilance
If you would gain life, instead put that many +1/+1 counters on each creature you control.
5/5
Last edited by marioguy3 1 year ago, edited 7 times in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Armored Armorer 3
Artifact Creature - Construct (U)
3W: Look at the top four cards of your library. You may put an Equipment card from among them onto the battlefield. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
When Armored Armorer becomes equipped with an artifact named Mindpiercer Spear, if you both own and control both cards, exile them, then meld them into Mindforger.
2/3

Mindpiercer Spear 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
Whenever equipped creature attacks, draw a card.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, discard a card.
Equip U
(Melds with Armored Armorer.)

Mindforger
({w/u}) Artifact Creature - Construct (U)
Ward 3
Whenever Mindforger attacks, mill four cards, then you may return an Equipment card from your graveyard to the battlefield and attach it to Mindforger.
Whenever Mindforger deals combat damage to an opponent, exile that many cards from the top of that player's library.
During each of your turns, you may play up to X cards from among cards exiled with Mindforger, where X is the number of Equipment attached to Mindforger.
4/5
Last edited by slimytrout 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83

Less than 24 hours to the deadline. We still miss @void_nothing's entry. Remember that you all have until then to edit your submissions if you wish.

EDIT An extension has been asked and granted. The new design deadline is tonight January 10th, of course still at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Prototech Remnant 1W
Creature - Spirit Artificer (C)
Lifelink
T: Target artifact you control gains indestructible until end of turn. If it's a creature, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
(Melds with Circuitstone Armory.)
Ghostly Thran technicians toiled beyond life to enliven their machines.
1/1
///

Circuitstone Armory 2RG
Artifact (U)
Whenever you activate one of Circuitstone Armory's abilities, if you both own and control Circuitstone Armory and a creature named Prototech Remnant, exile them, then meld them into Naturalist Convert.
1, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. If it's an artifact, it gains haste until end of turn.
2, T, Sacrifice another artifact: Create an X/X colorless Golem artifact creature token, where X is the number of spells that have been cast this turn.
///

Naturalist Convert
Creature - Spirit Barbarian (U)
Whenever Naturalist Convert attacks, you may put an artifact creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
Artifacts you control have "T: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."
Other creatures you control have "T: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
6/6
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83

The round is closed. I will begin judging tonight.

Judgments complete. Sorry for the delay, the last few days have been busy for me in real life.

I still have to check for typos, so in the meantime I apologize if there are any.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Narset's Faithful Puppy
Creature - Dog (Uncommon)
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to and dealt by Narset's Faithful Puppy.
: You gain 2 life. Each player draws a card. Activate only once each turn.
2/3

Narset's Supercharged Cat
Creature - Cat (Uncommon)
Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on Narset's Supercharged Cat. It gains trample until end of turn.
At the beginning of your end step, if you both own and control Narset's Supercharged Cat and a creature named Narset's Faithful Puppy, exile them, then meld them into Chromasara, Hypervigilant.
4/3

Chromasara, Hypervigilant
()Legendary Creature - Cat Dog (Rare)
Double strike, vigilance
If you would gain life, instead put that many +1/+1 counters on each creature you control.
5/5
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes preventing damage to his creatures but not that dealt by his creatures. He also likes lifegain and I think meld is a core Timmy ability. Johnny could maybe do something with the replacement effect on the back face or the +1/+1 counters. Spike doesn't really like meld that much as she sees it as card disadvantage, and it doesn't look to me that this particular meld pair does anything to offset this.
Elegance 3/3 - The text is very easy to understand, and the meld pair does feel like a cohesive whole to me.
Development
Viability 2/3 - While damage prevention can be white, prevention of all damage "dealt to and dealt by" the creature is a primary blue ability in modern Magic, though white has indeed also done that in recent times, for sure up to original Innistrad block, and Dovin's card in WAR can indeed be cast with only white mana. Also, while the cat is the color it should be, theoretically the back face could be just white, so it could have been the back face of a meld pair made up of both monowhite cards. You could have access to the back face spending only white mana. As for rarity, the cat is absolutely correct at uncommon in my opinion. Maybe the dog too, even if I could also see that at rare. The back face is totally rare, no problems there. I see no problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - All rates and costs looks good to me. I think both cards are already playable in limited, and it's also relatively easy to do in just two colors, even though that double colored mana cost on both front faces at the same time hurts and keeps it in check. The back face might be at least tempting in constructed if you can find a way to protect it after melding. I see no problems in casual and multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Nothing new on the dog. The cat is just another variation on Ajani's Pridemate. The back side does feel original though, especially thanks to that replacement effect.
Flavor 1/3 - I have no problems with the name of the back face, but I honestly can't see either of the front faces' names being printed as is. It's more of a feel thing, but I can't see the words "puppy" or "supercharged" on a real Magic card. They just don't have the right tone, at least to me. I also see no reason for the reference to Narset, having a dog as a faithful companion (besides touching my soul for personal reasons which I have talked about in past judgments) reminds me more of Jiang Yanggu and Mowu rather than Narset, and the cat is a color that Narset is not, and that just doesn't feel right to me. The overall flavor of the whole meld pair does work somewhat, but it's essentially just a dog and a cat working together, which we've already seen in Rin and Seri, Inseparable. Finally, I've checked in MSE and flavor text could fit on both the Puppy and Chromasara. Not on the cat, but you could have told the story of these pets with the room you had on those two faces.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - I'm not going to mention the dashes in the type line because everybody used hyphens this round, which is technically wrong but wouldn't change the results anyway, both because I wouldn't deduct points for it anyway and because even if I did I would have to deduct points from all cards, so there wouldn't be any relative difference in score regardless of that. You've read between the lines of my previous post and I'm happy you did, because, now I can say it, it was addressed exactly to you. You had put in the name of the back face but had left "...meld them into (CARD TBA)" in the Cat's meld ability. There are only two Quality problems left here. One is that the colorless color indicator is not necessary. You don't need one to be colorless, if you don't have any color indicator you have no colors, so you're automatically colorless. (-0.5) The other is that the Puppy lacks the "melds with OTHER CARDNAME" reminder text, that is always there on the front face of the card that doesn't have the meld ability. (-0.5)
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 19/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Armored Armorer 3
Artifact Creature - Construct (U)
3W: Look at the top four cards of your library. You may put an Equipment card from among them onto the battlefield. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
When Armored Armorer becomes equipped with an artifact named Mindpiercer Spear, if you both own and control both cards, exile them, then meld them into Mindforger.
2/3

Mindpiercer Spear 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
Whenever equipped creature attacks, draw a card.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, discard a card.
Equip U
(Melds with Armored Armorer.)

Mindforger
({w/u}) Artifact Creature - Construct (U)
Ward 3
Whenever Mindforger attacks, mill four cards, then you may return an Equipment card from your graveyard to the battlefield and attach it to Mindforger.
Whenever Mindforger deals combat damage to an opponent, exile that many cards from the top of that player's library.
During each of your turns, you may play up to X cards from among cards exiled with Mindforger, where X is the number of Equipment attached to Mindforger.
4/5
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - I think meld is a mechanic build for Timmy, and he also likes tutoring for Equipment and milling. Griefers, who (should not exist in my opinion, but that's just my own opinion and that) are a subset of Timmy, like to steal their opponents' cards with the last two abilities of Mindforger. Johnny can maybe use this for Equipment combos and Mindforger feels like one of those strange cards that he loves. Spike doesn't like the inherent card disadvantage of meld, but Mindforger's abilities help mitigate that.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Not the shortest text ever, especially on the back face, but still easy to understand at first reading. The way you managed to take advantage of the different steps of the combat phase to mimic a looting effect feels very nice and it doesn't take too long to see it.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - Tutoring Equipment is white, no problems there. I have problems with this new style of tutors that only let you look at some and not all of your library, but that's not your fault. Given the current Magic design philosophy, the Armorer is absolutely correct in the color pie. The Spear is a very interesting twist on looting, which is blue. The back face is also made up of things that can all be done by either color. While I can see the front faces at uncommon, I think the back face would be more appropriate at rare (this is the reason while this is not a 3, not my own problems with the new style of tutors). No problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Everything looks well balanced to me, and all costs look realistic. The front faces are cards you would probably already play in limited, especially the Armorer, who can conveniently find the Spear. I especially like the play pattern that the Spear creates during the combat phase: it gives you card advantage in the form of an additional card in your hand but only for the duration of the combat phase, and the card you discard doesn't need to be the same one you drew at the beginning of combat. If you draw something like a combat trick, you can use it right away and then discard a different card. Or if you draw a useless land, you can just discard that. I love the versatility here, and all with an apparently simple twist on blue looting. The back face also looks good enough to me. I can't really see this in competitive constructed, but in casual Equipment decks sure. Not everything is meant to be competitively playable. I see no problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Nothing really new on the Armorer. The Spear feels nice in this area mainly for the unique execution on the classic looting effect. The back face feels very original though, even if the middle ability is reminiscing of the mechanic ingest from BFZ.
Flavor 3/3 - MSE shows me flavor text doesn't fit on any of the three faces, so no problems there. Maybe one line on the Spear but it just looks way better without it. I could easily see all three names printed for real. I especially appreciate the alliteration in the Armorer and a good one-word card name on the back.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - I'm not going to mention the dashes in the type line because everybody used hyphens this round, which is technically wrong but wouldn't change the results anyway, both because I wouldn't deduct points for it anyway and because even if I did I would have to deduct points from all cards, so there wouldn't be any relative difference in score regardless of that. All the rest looks good to me.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. You took advantage of the fact that Subchallenge 1 was about color and not color identity, but that's fine, I had explicitly stated in the clarifications that it was good.
TOTAL 22.5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Prototech Remnant 1W
Creature - Spirit Artificer (C)
Lifelink
T: Target artifact you control gains indestructible until end of turn. If it's a creature, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
(Melds with Circuitstone Armory.)
Ghostly Thran technicians toiled beyond life to enliven their machines.
1/1
///

Circuitstone Armory 2RG
Artifact (U)
Whenever you activate one of Circuitstone Armory's abilities, if you both own and control Circuitstone Armory and a creature named Prototech Remnant, exile them, then meld them into Naturalist Convert.
1, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. If it's an artifact, it gains haste until end of turn.
2, T, Sacrifice another artifact: Create an X/X colorless Golem artifact creature token, where X is the number of spells that have been cast this turn.
///

Naturalist Convert
Creature - Spirit Barbarian (U)
Whenever Naturalist Convert attacks, you may put an artifact creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
Artifacts you control have "T: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."
Other creatures you control have "T: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
6/6
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes everything here, and meld is as big of a Timmy mechanic as they come. Even I, an almost 0% Johnny, can see multiple things Johnny can do with this. I will mention only what looks like the most interesting example to me: he can activate one of the abilities of the Armory, let the meld ability trigger, and then counter the triggered ability so that he can activate the other ones again. I also see him dropping a Blightsteel Colossus with the Convert and other things like that. Spike is probably the one among the three who likes this meld pair the least, and not just for the inherent card disadvantage of the meld mechanic.
Elegance 2.5/3 - Quite wordy overall, but still easy enough to understand.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - While I feel the +1/+0 bonus is more red than white, white can do that too. Both colors are represented on the Armory. While it doesn't break anything, I feel like the back face could have just been monowhite. No problems with the Remnant at common. In a vacuum, I'd say the Armory is more appropriate as a rare, but when you notice that you only get one use of only one of its abilities it makes more sense as an uncommon. The back face does feel more rare than uncommon to me. I see no problems with the rules.
Balance 3/3 - Costs and rate all look fine to me, for sure in limited. The back face looks quite strong to me, and melding doesn't look too difficult to do here, so some player could try it in constructed. The lack of a mana component in the abilities granted by the Convert caught my eyes, and honestly not in a good way. I see no problems in casual and multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Nothing new on the Remnant. The way the meld ability triggers on the Armory does feel original: a triggered ability that automatically triggers from the activation of either one of the other abilities. The Convert is nice but we've seen everything before. As I often say: a technically new twist on old known elements.
Flavor 2.5/3 - The only flavor text of the round, and I appreciate it. It's also quite a good one. MSE shows me it fits without any problems. The overall flavor of spirits from the past inhabiting an artifact and animating it does work, but I think it would have worked even better if the back face was an artifact creature, a representation of a "machine" (the artifact front face) being "enlivened" (animated) by the spirits of past artificers (the "ghostly Thran technicians").
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - I'm not going to mention the dashes in the type line because everybody used hyphens this round, which is technically wrong but wouldn't change the results anyway, both because I wouldn't deduct points for it anyway and because even if I did I would have to deduct points from all cards, so there wouldn't be any relative difference in score regardless of that. Only one problem in this area and it's at the very end: the closing quotation mark in the granted "regrow artifact" ability on the back face is missing. (-0.5)
Subchallenges 1/2 - Rarity is good, but there are shared colors.
TOTAL 20.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
slimytrout: 22.5
void_nothing: 20.5
marioguy3: 19
@slimytrout wins December. Congratulations!

I'm already preparing my plans for a ONE-themed month in March. I've got an idea and I'm writing the challenges in my free time. I guess we'll meet again then and there!

Show
Hide

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”