Quest for 32 (Commanders)

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 1 year ago

I am sure al of us at one point have wanted to build a commander deck in every colour combination possible. with 5 colours and colourless being an option that is 32 decks. I have been working on just narrowing down the commanders. While i had a "finished list" some i realize are just the same deck in different colours. So i ahd to step back and look again. There are many locked in.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
C - Kozilek, Butcher of Truth * (Heavy ramp into beatdown With Eldrazi titans and annihilator).
W -
U - Azami, Lady of Scrolls (Maybe) (Arcum also appeals as does urza) (Draw and Control)
B - Tergrid, God of Fright (Force sac and discard)
R - Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh (Chandra Tribal) *
G - Ashaya, Soul of the Wild (A lot of */* creatures, Helix pinnacle, Argothian Elder)
WU -
UB - Toxrill, the Corrosive (Clones)
BR - Rakdos, Lord of Riots * (Make things cheap)
RG - Thromok the Insatiable * (Steal creature and eat. Or sac to an altar)
GW - Rhys the Redeemed * (Token swarm)
WB - Ratadrabik of Urborg * (Legendary tribal that become zombies with reanimation)
UR - Nin, the Pain Artist * (infinite Combo/control... and draw)
BG - Baba Lysaga, Night Witch * (Card appeaed to me i will figure it out).
RW - Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh // Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist (Voltron) *
GU - Thrasios, Triton Hero // Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix (Card Draw, control)
WUB -
UBR -
BRG - Korvold, Fae-Cursed King (Treasure Shenanigans, minor goblin tribal).
RGW -
GWU -
WUR -
UBG - The Mimeoplasm * (Get things grave and make a danger blob)
BRW - Negan, the Cold-Blooded (Custom variant, same card in terms of effect, but custom name and art) (Looks like fun i will think of something)
RGU - Maelstrom Wanderer * (2 card combo 97 ands... it will become an actual deck)
GWB - Ghave, Guru of Spores * (Combo, oops infinite)
UBRG - Cecily, Haunted Mage // Elmar, Ulvenwald Informant * (Looks like a fun deck).
WBRG -
WURG - Omnath, Locus of creation (lansfall, all 4 omnthas).
WUBG - Atraxa, Praetors' Voice * (Still debating, but probably gonna go super friends again. Can't use red, but Chandra has red.)
WUBR -
WUBRG - The Ur-Dragon *
(Cattlebruiser, My favorite deck. Straight up beatdown and direct damage.)

As you can see most are selected, Some dickish others not so much. I had chosen an Esper, Naya and White, but all 3 were kind of focused on Tokens which Rhys fills the role of. I don't want a bunch of token decks, I want variety. Korvold is atually picked because i had a custom Commander, but for some reaosn player had issue with it, so instead of kind hearted Booh, the Goblin kings goblin tribal, i am gonna be a jerk. Still hold a bit of Goblin tribal but also go all out on treasure.

I hate to cut this short but i need to get to work. So I am looking for help filling the missing slots and also perhaps changing a few. (Ones with a * i already own a copy of so not changing it)
in addition, Ashaya, Toxrill and Korvold are not changing either. I don't care if i get hate for it. Tergrid, while it is a good deck, it also draws a lot of hate, so i might go Relentless rats with Marrow-Gnawer at the Helm, aside from the rats it is not a truly expensive deck. Won't generate as much hate either (It will generate hate, but not Tergrid levels.

So help?
Last edited by Gashnaw 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

Gashnaw wrote:
1 year ago
I am sure all of us at one point have wanted to build a commander deck in every colour combination possible. With 5 colours and colourless being an option that is 32 decks. I have been working on just narrowing down the commanders. While I had a "finished list" some I realized are just the same deck in different colours. So I had to step back and look again. There are many locked in.
<snip>
So I am looking for help filling the missing slots and also perhaps changing a few. (Ones marked with an * I already own, so I'm not changing it)
<snip>
So help?
It might help if you listed what your decks are/do? Some may be obvious, but you may have also deviated away from the obvious route on others (or possibly could deviate from the obvious to get more variety).

Here's my 27-deck* list, in case it can give you some inspiration:
(Note - when I say Tribal, I mean the original definition -
creature type based with at least 1/3d of the deck on-type - link is the version of the rules I use for EDH)
SPOILER
Show
Hide
C - Karn, Silver Golem - Golem Tribal, Proliferate subtheme
W - Zuberi, Golden Feather - Enduring Renewal/Lifeline deck
U - Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Illusion Tribal, bounce subtheme
B - Patron of the Nezumi - Thrumming Rats
R - Homura, Human Ascendant // Homura's Essence | Márton Stromgald - Human Army deck
  • *Note, the deck is built as a Marton deck, but he drew so much hate in the CZ, I swap him with Homura based on playgroup
G - Seton, Krosan Protector - Druid Tribal / Recycle-Aluren deck
WU - Kangee, Aerie Keeper - Bird Tribal - Feather Counter deck
WB - Aryel, Knight of Windgrace - Knight Tribal
  • *Note, the deck is built as a Haakon, Stromgald Scourge deck, but he can't be cast from the CZ - he's just the hidden General
UB - Sygg, River Cutthroat - Rogue Tribal Prowl deck
UR - Nin, the Pain Artist - Wizard Tribal - Tim deck (really - all the Tims and effects that work with them)
BR - Rakdos, Lord of Riots - Aetherflux Reservoir/Armageddon Clock deck
BG - Sapling of Colfenor - Treefolk Tribal
RG - Tovolar's Garou and Kinfolk deck (80% Korean)
RW - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas - Giant Battlecruiser Fling deck
GW - Selvala, Explorer Returned - Scout Tribal Investigates
GU - Kaseto, Orochi Archmage Snake Tribal - we don;t need no stinkin' Nagah
WUB - Sydri, Galvanic Genius Vehicles (manned and unmanned)
WBR -Zurgo Helmsmasher Warrior Dash deck
UBR - Garza Zol, Plague Queen The "no-sparkly-W-Vampires" deck - Sengir Subtheme
URG - Kalamax, the Stormsire - Dino Tribal - Buyback/Rebound subtheme
BRG - Xira Arien - Insect Tribal - Token Swarm
BGW - Ghave, Guru of Spores - Fungus Tribal (no doubling effects except on-theme Corpsejack Menace)
RGW - Gahiji, Honored One - Beast Tribal - Topdeck Subtheme (Cream of the Crop, Lurking Predators, Call of the Wild, etc)
RWU - Zedruu the Greathearted - Monk Tribal, Prowess Subtheme
GWU - Estrid, the Masked - Manland deck - Zendikon/Genju/Magemark Theme
GUB - Damia, Sage of Stone - Assassins and Gorgons
WUBRG - Karona, False God - Avatar Tribal (most difficult to balance manabase ever since they all have heavy color weight)
WUBRG - Progenitus Hydra Tribal
WUBRG - Horde of Notions - Rainbow Stairwell EDH - Manlands
I can send or post a decklist for any in which you may want to know more

*Note: 27 - Because last I checked, none of the 4 color options really appealed to me. . .
Gashnaw wrote:
1 year ago
Tergrid, while it is a good deck, is also a mane for hat, so I might go Relentless rats with Marrow-Gnawer at the Helm, aside from the rats it is not a truly expensive deck. Won't generate as much hate either (It will generate hate, but not Tergrid levels).
While I think I parsed out most of the spelling errors, I have no idea what that bolded section is supposed to be; so I will just say that Rats can get quite the stink-eye (depending on the table) so I went with Thrumming Stone for my version and took it down to 15 Relentless Rats (and 10 Rat Colony) to reduce cost, reduce hate, and increase variance from most formulaic RR decks. Also, possibly consider Nashi, Moon Sage's Scion instead of Marrow-Gnawer in the CZ, since she has far fewer incarnations of RR decks.
V/R

Treamayne

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 1 year ago

Treamayne wrote:
1 year ago
Gashnaw wrote:
1 year ago
I am sure all of us at one point have wanted to build a commander deck in every colour combination possible. With 5 colours and colourless being an option that is 32 decks. I have been working on just narrowing down the commanders. While I had a "finished list" some I realized are just the same deck in different colours. So I had to step back and look again. There are many locked in.
<snip>
So I am looking for help filling the missing slots and also perhaps changing a few. (Ones marked with an * I already own, so I'm not changing it)
<snip>
So help?
It might help if you listed what your decks are/do? Some may be obvious, but you may have also deviated away from the obvious route on others (or possibly could deviate from the obvious to get more variety).

Here's my 27-deck* list, in case it can give you some inspiration:
(Note - when I say Tribal, I mean the original definition -
creature type based with at least 1/3d of the deck on-type - link is the version of the rules I use for EDH)
SPOILER
Show
Hide
C - Karn, Silver Golem - Golem Tribal, Proliferate subtheme
W - Zuberi, Golden Feather - Enduring Renewal/Lifeline deck
U - Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Illusion Tribal, bounce subtheme
B - Patron of the Nezumi - Thrumming Rats
R - Homura, Human Ascendant // Homura's Essence | Márton Stromgald - Human Army deck
  • *Note, the deck is built as a Marton deck, but he drew so much hate in the CZ, I swap him with Homura based on playgroup
G - Seton, Krosan Protector - Druid Tribal / Recycle-Aluren deck
WU - Kangee, Aerie Keeper - Bird Tribal - Feather Counter deck
WB - Aryel, Knight of Windgrace - Knight Tribal
  • *Note, the deck is built as a Haakon, Stromgald Scourge deck, but he can't be cast from the CZ - he's just the hidden General
UB - Sygg, River Cutthroat - Rogue Tribal Prowl deck
UR - Nin, the Pain Artist - Wizard Tribal - Tim deck (really - all the Tims and effects that work with them)
BR - Rakdos, Lord of Riots - Aetherflux Reservoir/Armageddon Clock deck
BG - Sapling of Colfenor - Treefolk Tribal
RG - Tovolar's Garou and Kinfolk deck (80% Korean)
RW - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas - Giant Battlecruiser Fling deck
GW - Selvala, Explorer Returned - Scout Tribal Investigates
GU - Kaseto, Orochi Archmage Snake Tribal - we don;t need no stinkin' Nagah
WUB - Sydri, Galvanic Genius Vehicles (manned and unmanned)
WBR -Zurgo Helmsmasher Warrior Dash deck
UBR - Garza Zol, Plague Queen The "no-sparkly-W-Vampires" deck - Sengir Subtheme
URG - Kalamax, the Stormsire - Dino Tribal - Buyback/Rebound subtheme
BRG - Xira Arien - Insect Tribal - Token Swarm
BGW - Ghave, Guru of Spores - Fungus Tribal (no doubling effects except on-theme Corpsejack Menace)
RGW - Gahiji, Honored One - Beast Tribal - Topdeck Subtheme (Cream of the Crop, Lurking Predators, Call of the Wild, etc)
RWU - Zedruu the Greathearted - Monk Tribal, Prowess Subtheme
GWU - Estrid, the Masked - Manland deck - Zendikon/Genju/Magemark Theme
GUB - Damia, Sage of Stone - Assassins and Gorgons
WUBRG - Karona, False God - Avatar Tribal (most difficult to balance manabase ever since they all have heavy color weight)
WUBRG - Progenitus Hydra Tribal
WUBRG - Horde of Notions - Rainbow Stairwell EDH - Manlands
I can send or post a decklist for any in which you may want to know more

*Note: 27 - Because last I checked, none of the 4 color options really appealed to me. . .
Gashnaw wrote:
1 year ago
Tergrid, while it is a good deck, is also a mane for hat, so I might go Relentless rats with Marrow-Gnawer at the Helm, aside from the rats it is not a truly expensive deck. Won't generate as much hate either (It will generate hate, but not Tergrid levels).
While I think I parsed out most of the spelling errors, I have no idea what that bolded section is supposed to be; so I will just say that Rats can get quite the stink-eye (depending on the table) so I went with Thrumming Stone for my version and took it down to 15 Relentless Rats (and 10 Rat Colony) to reduce cost, reduce hate, and increase variance from most formulaic RR decks. Also, possibly consider Nashi, Moon Sage's Scion instead of Marrow-Gnawer in the CZ, since she has far fewer incarnations of RR decks.
Fixed typo and listed what they do.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”