Flaxen Intruder

Marquis
Spoiler Master
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Marquis » 4 years ago

Okay it's a sorcery built into the creature?

New sorcery subtype Adventure?

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Single most terrifying little girl ever?

Wonder if the Adventure can be activated repeatedly or if there is some other condition for it.

I'm guessing that the countdown is until the stream tomorrow. Possibly an hourly counter?
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Simto

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

This card is pretty terrible

The mechanic could be interesting though.

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 4 years ago

Very busy card especially at uncommon.

I assume we can cast it as the creature or the sorcery? The sorcery typing as adventure seems akin to arcane, so guess things will care about you casting an adventure, if you cast an adventure return X creature from your graveyard to the battlefield etc? Interesting..

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Ooh love it for flavor alright for a card. The bear decks will love it. Also looks like how we are gonna see sorcery (maybe instant?) "creatures". And module spells are always nice for deck building. Goldi here can give you 6/6 worth of tokens and/or? get rid of an artifact or enchantment.

This is cool, it lets them reference two parts of a story and flavor text is cute.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

That is.... a lot of text.

The base body is a 1/2 for G that can Naturalize something when it deals combat damage, which is pretty reasonable. The combat damage requirement makes it weaker than something like Caustic Caterpillar in 1v1, but from an EDH perspective, it seems likely that one opponent will let you hit them with it if you're going to destroy something to another opponent. At that point, you're trading time (summoning sickness) for mana efficiency, which is a tradeoff some decks are willing to make.

The sorcery ('adventure') ability is interesting. I'll reserve judgment until we know exactly how that mechanic works, but I assume that there is some way we can cast this card as a sorcery with the name 'Welcome Home'. It might be like Aftermath, where you cast it from the graveyard. Alternatively, it may be an alternate casting mode you can do from hand.

My guess would be that there is a mechanic/rule that allows you to cast any Adventures on creatures you control. There are some weird rules interactions if you're casting a card that is already on the battlefield though, since battlefield → stack is a zone change that... doesn't really ever happen.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

She hates bears but isn't a hatebear. 0/10 unplayable

This reminds me of Evoke, especially as its initial design was an instant/sorcery that could be a creature, but in this case it's a different effect to the ETB/LTB trigger you get off evoke.

If anything actually, it's a split card with one half being a creature.

Either way, it's a neat little way to explain the narrative, and I think a 1/2 one drop that can sac itself for naturalize has potential.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
TThe sorcery ('adventure') ability is interesting. I'll reserve judgment until we know exactly how that mechanic works, but I assume that there is some way we can cast this card as a sorcery with the name 'Welcome Home'. It might be like Aftermath, where you cast it from the graveyard. Alternatively, it may be an alternate casting mode you can do from hand.
Thats a nod to the three bears returning home to find Goldilocks in the house I believe.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

RtKART
Illustrator

Post by RtKART » 4 years ago

Maybe the second part of the card can only be activated in play? To continue the story? Or maybe when the card dies you have the option to then use its second part? Though that doesn't really make sense with her art. I hope it is not just another cast from the graveyard mechanic they have been doing that a lot.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

can the "welcome home" ability be used when she is in play, or should it be paid when she is cast?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
TThe sorcery ('adventure') ability is interesting. I'll reserve judgment until we know exactly how that mechanic works, but I assume that there is some way we can cast this card as a sorcery with the name 'Welcome Home'. It might be like Aftermath, where you cast it from the graveyard. Alternatively, it may be an alternate casting mode you can do from hand.
Thats a nod to the three bears returning home to find Goldilocks in the house I believe.
I'm aware. Based on my interpretation of the card, it looks like there is effectively a miniature card embedded into Flaxen Intruder's textbox - a sorcery named 'Welcome Home' with the subtype 'Adventure'. Adventure is the name of the mechanic, while Welcome Home is just the name of this individual subcard, with no mechanical implications.

Flavorwise, 'target creature goes on an adventure' or 'whenever a creature you control goes on an adventure' are both pretty resonant lines of text.

...there isn't a heavy graveyard / death focus in most fairy tales or Arthurian legends, so I would be surprised if this were a graveyard mechanic. As mentioned, I would guess that there is some way for you to cast the adventure card once the creature is on the battlefield. The layout of the card strongly suggests that it is first cast as a creature, with the subcard textbox only being relevant once it were already in play. In comparison, split cards and aftermath cards have both subcards get a full half of the card and equal treatment (with aftermath cards' graveyard halves being oriented differently so that they are easier to track in graveyards).

In other words, the form of the card ought to support the function, and vice-versa.

(insert obligatory 'this is all speculation still' clause here)

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is a split card creature/sorcery.

Otherwise:
  • if you cast the sorcery at the same time as the creature, it would just be kicker.
  • if you could cast it from GY only, there would be reminder text or keyword.
  • if you could cast it when in play, it would just be an ability.
My guess is that it's split card for any card type: creature/sorcery, artifact/sorcery, enchantment/instant, etc.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

I think it's going to play like monstrosity, insofar as only being able to do the adventure once. Side note, do you think they crammed enough text onto the card?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

Nice card but... That really feels like a flavour fail if you take the art into consideration.
A creature that kills herself to destroy an enchantment or artifact, what does she have to do with the three dead bears in the art?
Moreover, you can make 3 bear tokens that are alive...
PLUS, she doesn't even have the power and toughness to kill 1 bear and survive, let alone 3!
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

PLUS, she doesn't even have the power and toughness to kill 1 bear and survive, let alone 3!
yeah, this feels weird to me. How did she kill all of them?

Maybe the weapon she is holding in the art is an equipment card?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

RainyDay

Post by RainyDay » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
yeah, this feels weird to me. How did she kill all of them?

Maybe the weapon she is holding in the art is an equipment card?
Maybe it's our short sword/leonin scimitar variant for this set. A +1/+1 would turn her into a bear-killing machine.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

giggling that we were all trying to derive the mechanic of the special frame and make it so the two sides of the card were related thematically and mechanically, and then the big reveal we get is this :)))))) very cool card though

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

Ok, knowing how it works, this isn't great. Repeatable 5GGG for 3 bears isn't an awful rate for limited, but not great.

Scratch that, I didn't know how it worked. This mechanic is not very understandable by looking at the card, even with reminder text.

5GGG for 7/8 of flimsy bodies, one of which has a difficult-to-connect ability, does not seem good.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Yeah, now that we know how this works it looks to be one of the weaker cards with Adventure so far. Seven mana for three 2/2s is aggressively mediocre, and the bonus of a virtual card drawn is mitigated by a 1/2 with a narrow sideboard ability being a pretty bad virtual extra card on turn eight. As a 1/2 for G, it's serviceable in limited with all the artifacts flying around, but not amazing. It's nice that it is versatile as a split card, but it is most likely a limited-only card, and a middling one at that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”