NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Stapler
is a liar
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Stapler » 1 year ago

emrakul comes back from the moon but is now a giant pumpkin

Emrakul, the Reaper Queen
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi Plant (M)
Mutate 8 (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
Flying
Whenever this creature mutates or attacks, target opponent sacrifices a nonland permanent. Create a token that's a copy of the sacrificed permanent.
10/10
appropriate art
Show
Hide
IIW: stop time
"Image"

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 1 year ago

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
lookingupanddown wrote:
1 year ago
Port Authority 1WWW
Creature - Human Advisor
Flash
Whenever an opponent would draw a card except the first one they draw in each of their draw steps, instead you create a Treasure token.
, Exile five Treasures: Port Authority phases out until end of turn.
"I must remind you that taxes here are measured based on percentages, not merely a set amount. We'll need to take... much more."
3/2

IIW: ally-color partners (regular partner, not partner with)
For Port Authority, I think Wizards has learned their lesson. No more of that Windfall skullduggery. It's not fun, it's frankly not a very clever way to build a deck. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the concept of turning people's extra draws off. But I'm tired of the main mode being Wheel of Fortune effects.
Hullbreacher interaction with wheels is specifically why the ability's worded like that. Its controller can cast wheels or stuff like Secret Rendezvous fine, since Port Authority ignores any draw spell its controller uses. No wheel locks there.

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

lookingupanddown wrote:
1 year ago

Hullbreacher interaction with wheels is specifically why the ability's worded like that. Its controller can cast wheels or stuff like Secret Rendezvous fine, since Port Authority ignores any draw spell its controller uses. No wheel locks there.
100% accurate. This is what happens when you read a card once and then judge. I apologize for my false read on the card. Chalk it up to a late-night judging session.
defeated

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

lookingupanddown wrote:
1 year ago
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
lookingupanddown wrote:
1 year ago
Port Authority 1WWW
Creature - Human Advisor
Flash
Whenever an opponent would draw a card except the first one they draw in each of their draw steps, instead you create a Treasure token.
For Port Authority, I think Wizards has learned their lesson. No more of that Windfall skullduggery. It's not fun, it's frankly not a very clever way to build a deck. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the concept of turning people's extra draws off. But I'm tired of the main mode being Wheel of Fortune effects.
Wait, now I'M confused.

Hullbreacher's power came from making Wheel effects one-sided; opponents would discard all cards in their hands, while you get a fresh hand and a bunch of Treasure, effectively locking your opponents out of the game.

As worded, doesn't Port Authority do the exact same?? I see the word "would" and "instead," meaning a replacement effect? What do you mean by ""no wheel lock here""?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
lookingupanddown wrote:
1 year ago
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago

Wait, now I'M confused.

Hullbreacher's power came from making Wheel effects one-sided; opponents would discard all cards in their hands, while you get a fresh hand and a bunch of Treasure, effectively locking your opponents out of the game.

As worded, doesn't Port Authority do the exact same?? I see the word "would" and "instead," meaning a replacement effect? What do you mean by ""no wheel lock here""?
Huh, I thought I edited that to "Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls would cause them to draw a card except the first one they draw in each of their draw steps, instead you create a Treasure token." Guess I didn't save it. My mistake, judgment was correct the first time.

Mergatroid_Jones

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago

100% accurate.
This is well within the 100% margin for error.

Well now that we've all been wrong and double wrong, let's have some Emrakul!

Sporegorger_Dragon

Indeed, I've been hovering around waiting for the clock to run out on this round.

Now that I'm sure I wasn't losing my mind, let'sa go!!
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
The Moon Heron 0
Legendary Creature- Eldrazi
Kicker
Flying
When The Moon Heron would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, instead put it into your library thirteenth from the top.
When you cast The Moon Heron, if it was kicked, you get an additional upkeep step followed by an additional draw step after this phase.
The Moon Heron enters the battlefield with 9 +1/+1 counters if it was kicked.
0/1

IIW: Sweet combat tricks
I supposed once your mind has been rend asunder by a cosmic otherworldy entity, if you squint hard enough at Emrakul, you might parse it as some of messed-up bird.

While the rate is interesting, and I like the pseudo-extra turn going on as a callback, the base form really seems really off-theme and unerwhelming. Like is the base creature an emanation of Emrakul? A leak?
Stapler wrote:
1 year ago
emrakul comes back from the moon but is now a giant pumpkin

Emrakul, the Reaper Queen
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi Plant (M)
Mutate 8 (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
Flying
Whenever this creature mutates or attacks, target opponent sacrifices a nonland permanent. Create a token that's a copy of the sacrificed permanent.
10/10
appropriate art
Show
Hide
IIW: stop time
I think this is still plenty powerful, with the powerful effect triggering off both mutation and attacks. I've always found it hard to grade mutate abilities; usually they're cheaper because it requires a non-Human creature in play, but conversely there's often a powerful effect tied to it.

Still, the lack of protection makes it more manageable, I'd make it's power and toughness a little less though.

Well, I gotta give the win this time to Stapler!

NEXT: stop time

Mergatroid_Jones

I was trying to represent Emmy being stuck in the moon unkicked, and then breaking out if you kick it. But an Ornithopter may not have been the best way to represent that.

Magister of Hours 2UUU
Creature- Human Wizard (R)
Ward-- Skip your next draw step.
After your first upkeep step during your turn, you get two additional upkeep steps.
It's gonna be a long day.
1/5

IIW: Weird power/toughness combinations
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Stop Time
1{U}{U}
Instant - (R)
Split second
Skip your next turn.
End the turn.
The warrior blinked, and suddenly the dragon was a crumbling skeleton, the human rogue was now an elf, the cleric was nowhere to be seen and the wizard had a beard five times longer than he was tall.

Alternate flavor text:
"Galoomp the lion, and let it drink of palm sap!" -Teferi, ancient Zhalfirin phrase too profane for us to translate

IIW: Unconventional oozes
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Timie {=1} 1UUU
Sorcery {R}
Take an extra turn after this one. You can't attack during that turn.
"With this we can shorten any amount of time down to just one second."

IIW: a plane experiencing alien invasion
MEG

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Stop, Hammer Time! 1RR
Instant (R)
Split Second
Choose any number:
* Attach target equipment to target creature.
* Destroy target artifact.
* Up to three target creatures can't block this turn.

Part of the same Universes Beyond --

You Can't Touch This UW
Instant (R)
Target permanent you control gains hexproof until end of turn. It can't be blocked this turn. You may have it phase out.

IIW: finally complete
Last edited by Juancu 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Endless Night 3GG
Enchantment
When Endless Night enters the battlefield, it becomes night.
It can't become day.
Wolves and Werewolves you control get +2/+0 and have trample.
Whenever a player casts their second spell each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on each wolf or werewolf you control.
Without the power of the Celestus, the morning never came, and the howlpacks spread across Innistrad.

IIW: The wolves are at the door

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

Desperate Plea 2WWU
Sorcery (M)
Kicker—Skip your next turn.
This spell can't be countered.
Destroy all creatures. If Desperate Plea was kicked, destroy all nonland permanents instead.

IIW: Suspend
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 1 year ago

Frozen in Time 2uu
Enchantment (R)
When Frozen in Time enters the battlefield, tap all creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controllers' untap step for as long as you control Frozen in Time.
1u, Sacrifice Frozen in Time: Untap target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

IIW: Band names as black-bordered card names. (No local bands. Your band should at least have a Wikipedia page.)
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Inxs, Rhox Time Mage 4UG
Legendary Creature - Rhino Wizard (M)
Flash, Trample
When Inxs, Rhox Time Mage enters the battlefield, if it was cast from hand, end the turn.
2UG, : End the Turn. Activate this ability on your turn.
4/4

IIW: Conspiracies
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Mergatroid_Jones

Fellian's Restaurant at the End of Time
Legendary Land (R)
Fellian's enters the battlefield tapped unless an opponent has taken an extra turn this game.
4UUUU, T: Take an extra turn after this one. Activate this ability only once per game, and only if you haven't taken any extra turns this game. This ability costs 1U less to activate if an opponent has taken an extra turn this game.
T: Add U.

IIW: Create a token that has never been created.

Stapler
is a liar

my time stopped when i had no internet for a day and i forgot i won
Show
Hide
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
I was trying to represent Emmy being stuck in the moon unkicked, and then breaking out if you kick it. But an Ornithopter may not have been the best way to represent that.

Magister of Hours 2UUU
Creature- Human Wizard (R)
Ward-- Skip your next draw step.
After your first upkeep step during your turn, you get two additional upkeep steps.
It's gonna be a long day.
1/5

IIW: Weird power/toughness combinations
Super Paradox Haze Man. Think it needs to be worded as a trigger. I do like the blue version of "Ward - Discard a card".
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Stop Time
1{U}{U}
Instant - (R)
Split second
Skip your next turn.
End the turn.
The warrior blinked, and suddenly the dragon was a crumbling skeleton, the human rogue was now an elf, the cleric was nowhere to be seen and the wizard had a beard five times longer than he was tall.

Alternate flavor text:
"Galoomp the lion, and let it drink of palm sap!" -Teferi, ancient Zhalfirin phrase too profane for us to translate

IIW: Unconventional oozes
This sort of feels like a really bad Dissipate. You can stop one or more of their spells, and you can mess up plans they had for their turn, but for the most part they'll still be able to do those plans on their next turn, plus you're giving them a card and all their mana back (you also can't really cast this card on your own turn without probably losing). This could probably cost 1U - maybe U - and be fair.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Timie {=1} 1UUU
Sorcery {R}
Take an extra turn after this one. You can't attack during that turn.
"With this we can shorten any amount of time down to just one second."

IIW: a plane experiencing alien invasion
AI see what you've done. I think recurring time walks makes for pretty poor gameplay experiences, so I always scrutinize any cheap (6 mana or less) walk that can be abused that doesn't remove itself, and the combat step is usually not what people are abusing with those loops (especially since not attacking on the extra turn means you have blockers for when you pass the turn back). I like Savor the Moment; this feels like Time Warp at one less mana.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Stop, Hammer Time! 1RR
Instant (R)
Split Second
Choose any number:
* Attach target equipment to target creature.
* Destroy target artifact.
* Up to three target creatures can't block this turn.

Part of the same Universes Beyond --

You Can't Touch This UW
Instant (R)
Target permanent you control gains hexproof until end of turn. It can't be blocked this turn. You may have it phase out.

All these effects feels appropriately hammery, but I feel like it's tough to have a situation where you can comfortably include this in your deck. If your opponent doesn't have any artifacts, 1RR to equip something and get in unblocked is super mediocre. Its like a sideboard card for equipment decks when they play against other equipment decks/decks with artifacts they want to blow up. It's cute but not very functional in the way most people play magic. Can't Touch This is neat, though it could probably be an uncommon.
chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Endless Night 3GG
Enchantment
When Endless Night enters the battlefield, it becomes night.
It can't become day.
Wolves and Werewolves you control get +2/+0 and have trample.
Whenever a player casts their second spell each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on each wolf or werewolf you control.
Without the power of the Celestus, the morning never came, and the howlpacks spread across Innistrad.

IIW: The wolves are at the door
Pretty straightforward support for werewolves. It's probably doing too much - having both its tribal abilities pumping your wolves in two different ways feels like overkill - but this is functional and likely fairly costed. I prefer cards that have some amount of tension or require some thought towards what sort of deck I want to include them in.
Cythare wrote:
1 year ago
Desperate Plea 2WWU
Sorcery (M)
Kicker—Skip your next turn.
This spell can't be countered.
Destroy all creatures. If Desperate Plea was kicked, destroy all nonland permanents instead.

I really can't ever imagine kicking this; if I want this effect I'd just pay 1 more mana for Farewell or Planar Cleansing. Yes it's uncounterable and it's an extra option, but it's not an option I'll ever take when it means I'm giving my opponent a card, all their mana to rebuild their board, and an extra combat step. To me and a lot of players, it's 5 mana Supreme Verdict.
Flatline wrote:
1 year ago
Frozen in Time 2uu
Enchantment (R)
When Frozen in Time enters the battlefield, tap all creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controllers' untap step for as long as you control Frozen in Time.
1u, Sacrifice Frozen in Time: Untap target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.

IIW: Band names as black-bordered card names. (No local bands. Your band should at least have a Wikipedia page.)
This is an interesting blue board wipe. It's definitely undercosted - blue shouldn't get wrath effects at the same cost as white and black - but I really like the idea here. At 5 or 6 I think this is printable. The untap effect on the sac is cute too.
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Inxs, Rhox Time Mage 4UG
Legendary Creature - Rhino Wizard (M)
Flash, Trample
When Inxs, Rhox Time Mage enters the battlefield, if it was cast from hand, end the turn.
2UG, : End the Turn. Activate this ability on your turn.
4/4

Time Stop on a 4/4 body is kind of busted, and it even has some extra utility as an extra counterspell on your turn as well. Crystal Shard makes this yucky. Feels like you need a few more hoops to jump through to get a super Mystic Snake.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Fellian's Restaurant at the End of Time
Legendary Land (R)
Fellian's enters the battlefield tapped unless an opponent has taken an extra turn this game.
4UUUU, T: Take an extra turn after this one. Activate this ability only once per game, and only if you haven't taken any extra turns this game. This ability costs 1U less to activate if an opponent has taken an extra turn this game.
T: Add U.

IIW: Create a token that has never been created.
This is probably fair, but it's so expensive it's unlikely to see any play outside of exactly EDH. It doesn't really need the extra fluff about opponents taking extra turns either - even at 6 mana plus a tap, this is generally going to eat up all your mana for the turn, so it's 7-9 mana to draw a card and get an extra combat step plus a mana refund, which is good, but is going to come up maybe once in every 50 non-EDH games.
when the card you like most also has the best IIW :pensive:
Show
Hide
Winner: Flatline!
HM: Mergatroid_Jones (for Magister of Hours)

NEXT CHALLENGE: Band names as black-bordered card names. (No local bands. Your band should at least have a Wikipedia page.)
"Image"

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

For fun
Show
Hide
Twenty-One Pilots1WU
Creature - Human Pilot
Twenty-One Pilots crews Vehicles as though its power were 21.
When Twenty-One Pilots crews a vehicle , if this was the first time it crewed a vehicle this turn untap it.
Too many cooks in the kitchen is not a phrase ever uttered on the Bridge of the Godkiller.
1/3

Owl City
Legendary land
T: Add C.
t: Add U for each creature you control with flying.
Trampled by Turtles
Sorcery
Suspend 2 - 2G
When you suspend Trampled by Turtles, create two 1/3 green Turtle creature tokens with Hexproof.
Tap all untapped Turtle creatures you control. Each turtle tapped this way deals damage equal to its toughness to target creature. That creature deals damage equal to its power divided as its controller chooses among any number of those turtles.

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 1 year ago

Rush 1R
Sorcery
Choose 1:
  • Caress of Steel - Creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn.
  • Grace Under Pressure - Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain vigilance until end of turn. Choose this only if was spent to cast this spell.
  • Fly by Night - Creatures you control gain flying until end of turn. Choose this only if was spent to cast this spell.
  • A farewell to Kings - Creatures you control gain dethrone and deathtouch until end of turn. Choose this only if was spent to cast this spell.
  • Snakes and Arrows - Creatures you control get +2/+0 and gain trample until end of turn. Choose this only if was spent to cast this spell.
Blind Guardian 3UB
Creature - Human Warrior
Flash
At the Edge of Time - If an opponent would take an extra turn, instead you take an extra turn before that opponent takes their extra turn.
A twist in the myth - 2ub, exile 5 cards with different mana values from your graveyard: target opponent who's turn it is takes an extra turn after this turn. Activate this ability only during a main phase.

I have so many more bands I can make into cards, but I'm gonna leave some for other people. Every 24 hours, I'll add another band, though.

IIW: The wolves are at the door.

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

My Chemical Romance X
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for a planeswalker card with mana value X or less and exile it. Shuffle afterwards. Create a token copy of the exiled card, except its name is Weird Love. It loses its abilities with negative loyalty cost and gains "Creatures attacking this planeswalker must be blocked if able."

Stapler
is a liar

Caravan Palace
Land (R)
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a commerce counter on Caravan Palace.
T: Add .
T, Remove two commerce counters from Caravan Palace: Create a Treasure token.
for fun
Show
Hide
Arctic Monkeys 2G
Snow Creature - Ape (U)
When Arctic Monkeys enters the battlefield, if was spent to cast it, create a Food token.
1G, Sacrifice a Food: Arctic Monkeys fights target creature.
3/3

Islands
Land - Island (R)
(T: Add U.)
Islands enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more other Islands.
When Islands enters the battlefield from your hand, you may 1UU. If you do, create a token that's a copy of Islands.
IIW: simple cards
"Image"

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

Bronski Beat 1RR
Instant (U)
Target Vehicle you control becomes a creature until end of turn. It fights target creature you don't control.
Create a Food token.

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Bulletproof Boy Scouts 1WW
Creature — Human Scout {R}
First strike, hexproof from instants
3/3

IIW: don't give this the win until I edit this with something that isn't a french vanilla.
MEG

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 1 year ago

Visions of Atlantis U
Instant (M)
As an additional cost to cast Visions of Atlantis, return three lands you control to their owner's hands
Draw three cards.
honorable mentions
Show
Hide
Paddy and the Rats 2BR
Legendary Creature - Rat Pirate (R)
Menace
Whenever Paddy and the Rats attacks, each other attacking Rat you control becomes a copy of Paddy and the Rats until end of turn, except it isn't legendary.
4/2

Unleash the Archers 2RG
Sorcery (U)
Unleash the Archers deals 3 damage to each creature with flying.
Whenever a creature with flying is put into a graveyard this turn, create a 1/2 green Archer creature token.
IIW: In your dreams

Sporegorger_Dragon

Backstreet Boys
3{U}{B}
Creature - Human Warlock (R)
Ward-Discard a card.
Whenever you cast a spell, Backstreet Boys connives.
4/4

IIW: Unconventional Oozes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”