How do you feel about hermit druid shenanigans to bring out jank

Theoric
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Theoric » 1 year ago

Is it lame to use hermit druid strategies to bring out a few big creatures instead of winning?

The lgs I play at has mostly casual-ish players and a minority of guys who like to pub stomp newer players with net decks.
I make unique theme decks that are usually strong enough to stop the net deck dudes, yet can be played in a casual way against casual players.

Currently I'm building a 5 color manabase/staples to use with three theme decks. Tiamat (including the 5 ancient dragons), Sisay (and her Weatherlight crew), and Slivers. I plan to use hermit druid-type shenanigans to bring out 2-3 dragons or Sisay's crew or 3-4 slivers (depending which version I'm playing) usually on turn 3 or 4 unless disrupted. I avoid infinite combos and instant win strategies, and I'm quite happy to lose so long as I can swing with dragons/slivers/etc. The combo turn takes 1-2 minutes, every other turn is quick.

So what do you think? If someone did those shenanigans and attacked you with sliver queen or a couple big dragons on turn 3-4, would you rage quit or would you think that's cool?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

This sounds more appealing to play against than Hermit Druid into Thassa's Oracle.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I run Hermit Druid in a Slogurk The Overslime with 8 basics and I've never heard a single complaint. What you're suggesting is certainly better than what I'm doing unless I highroll, but it's relatively similar and I would think most folks won't take offense.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

It's fine. Whenever I play Hermit Druid I will state how many basics were included in the deck on construction. Whenever someone casts Hermit Druid, I ask them how many basics they have in their deck. If they decline to answer or have an unacceptably low amount for the table's power, I go hard on them.

Mind you, I often go hard on people's HDs anyway, because it's such a powerful enabler, and I expect people to go hard on my HDs as well.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I'm running Hermit Druid in my Samut (tap ability tribal) deck to hit land drops. I've cut the number of basics over time and added more graveyard synergies, but even with only 8 basics it's still pretty fair IMO. Hermit Druid is certainly a very powerful engine, but I generally wouldn't complain about it unless someone were doing Thassa's Oracle / other instant win combo shenanigans with 0-3 basics.

...I would still expect it to attract a fair amount of attention though, and if you're using it to turbocharge reanimation shenanigans ahead of curve, that may be an issue. Definitely depends on what you're reanimating though - dragons and other beaters are probably fine, Terastodon and Eldrazi less so.

Theoric

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
I would still expect it to attract a fair amount of attention though, and if you're using it to turbocharge reanimation shenanigans ahead of curve, that may be an issue. Definitely depends on what you're reanimating though - dragons and other beaters are probably fine, Terastodon and Eldrazi less so.
Good point. For slivers I mainly wanted the ones that give indestructible and shroud. For the dragon deck I was considering cheating in Duke Ulder Ravengard and have old gnawbone attack with myriad, but that's a bit much lol. Imagine the tokens you could create with three gnawbone abilities all triggering separately.

I'm not sure what I'll do, really. I want to be able to swing for a few turns so it can't be too oppressive.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Theoric wrote:
1 year ago
Good point. For slivers I mainly wanted the ones that give indestructible and shroud. For the dragon deck I was considering cheating in Duke Ulder Ravengard and have old gnawbone attack with myriad, but that's a bit much lol. Imagine the tokens you could create with three gnawbone abilities all triggering separately.
That would require Mirror Box or something, and at that point the combo is so thoroughly involved that nobody could really be mad.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Theoric

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
That would require Mirror Box or something, and at that point the combo is so thoroughly involved that nobody could really be mad.
To work around that I was thinking I would cheat miirym, sentinel wyrm into play first and myriad Gnawbone's non-legendary token.
If I swing at three people and create 84 treasure tokens, I'm sure people could find a way to be mad, lol.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”