void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL June Signups/Round 2

"Pick of Them All"

Brave the Elements, taken from EchoMtG, by Goran Josic and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Rainbow Month here at the CCL. Every color in Magic is important, and they're all needed at once and in equal measure for the game to function.

Challenge
Design a card with "choose a color" in its rules text.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Saturday, June 18th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (June 1st-12th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (June 13th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due June 20th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (June 21st–24th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due June 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (June 27th–30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due July 2nd)
  • Final (July, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Novice Ranger 1G
Creature — Human Ranger (Uncommon)
When Novice Ranger enters the battlefield, choose a color and a creature name.
Favored Enemy — Whenever an opponent cast a spell of the chosen color, put a +1/+1 counter on Novice Ranger.
Favored Foe — Whenever an opponent cast a spell of the chosen name, draw three cards.
1/1

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 1 year ago

Multifaceted Prism 1
Artifact (R)
If you would choose a color, choose two colors instead.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Gleaming Hunter 2
Artifact Creature - Construct (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a color that hasn't been chosen. If you can't, sacrifice Gleaming Hunter.
Gleaming Hunter has protection from the chosen colors.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to extend the deadline at least 24 hours from now.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Artist of Flames rr
Creature - Viashino Wizard (r)
When Artist of Flames enters the battlefield. choose a color other than red.
Whenever you cast a spell that is both red and of the chose color, Artist of Flames gets +1/+1 until end of turn and it deals 2 damage to target player or.planeswalker.
2/2

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 1 year ago

Temple of the Pantheon
Land {R}
As Temple of the Pantheon enters the battlefield, choose a color.
T: Add one mana of the color last chosen with Temple of the Pantheon, then choose a color that hasn't been chosen. If you can't, sacrifice Temple of the Pantheon.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Determined Chaser 2R
Creature - Viashino Archer {U}
As Determined Chaser enters the battlefield, choose a color.
Whenever Determined Chaser attacks, choose one -
• Determined Chaser can't be blocked by creatures of the chosen color this combat.
• Determined Chaser must be blocked by a creature of the chosen color this combat if able.
3/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Prismatic Tome 1U
Artifact (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a color or colorless, then reveal the top card of your library. If it matches what you chose, put it into your hand. Otherwise, put it on the bottom of your library.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, let's close the round. Please critique and top 3 all the other contestants - and don't forget to put in round 1 critiques as well!

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

crits
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Novice Ranger 1G
Creature — Human Ranger (Uncommon)
When Novice Ranger enters the battlefield, choose a color and a creature name.
Favored Enemy — Whenever an opponent cast a spell of the chosen color, put a +1/+1 counter on Novice Ranger.
Favored Foe — Whenever an opponent cast a spell of the chosen name, draw three cards.
1/1
This double hoser choice thing is really cool but favored foe looks too good in commander, it basically means your opp has to spend a removal before casting their commander because giving you three cards is definitely too unattractive a choice
Pygyzy wrote:
1 year ago
Multifaceted Prism 1
Artifact (R)
If you would choose a color, choose two colors instead.
This looks cool and I'm sure there are fun combos with it, a good simple rule bending card
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Gleaming Hunter 2
Artifact Creature - Construct (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a color that hasn't been chosen. If you can't, sacrifice Gleaming Hunter.
Gleaming Hunter has protection from the chosen colors.
2/2
Hmm kind of like an Etched Champion that has vanishing? Overall makes sense. seems like an alchemy card
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Artist of Flames rr
Creature - Viashino Wizard (r)
When Artist of Flames enters the battlefield. choose a color other than red.
Whenever you cast a spell that is both red and of the chose color, Artist of Flames gets +1/+1 until end of turn and it deals 2 damage to target player or.planeswalker.
2/2
Whoa I love the multicolor focus. seems like the card should be 1R for that reason tnough... or 2R
RaikouRider wrote:
1 year ago
Temple of the Pantheon
Land {R}
As Temple of the Pantheon enters the battlefield, choose a color.
T: Add one mana of the color last chosen with Temple of the Pantheon, then choose a color that hasn't been chosen. If you can't, sacrifice Temple of the Pantheon.
Similar to slimytrout's entry... wasn't there a microprose video game cardl similar to this though? Honestly the name makes a lot of sense
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
Determined Chaser 2R
Creature - Viashino Archer {U}
As Determined Chaser enters the battlefield, choose a color.
Whenever Determined Chaser attacks, choose one -
• Determined Chaser can't be blocked by creatures of the chosen color this combat.
• Determined Chaser must be blocked by a creature of the chosen color this combat if able.
3/2
Whoa this is cool especially in multiplayer. I like the decision making of it
t3
Show
Hide
1 pygyzy
2 netn10
3 henlock
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Let's get critiques finished by 23:59 Eastern on 6/27 (a little less than 24 hours from now)!

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

netn10
Show
Hide
The second ability seems largely intended for EDH, where the cheap cost means you can name someone else's commander before they can cast it. Less applicable in other formats, where it's generally going to be worse than Managorger Hydra.
Pygyzy
Show
Hide
I think this needs more rules text on it, even if that would ruin the simplicity of the card. For example, how does it interact with Astral Cornucopia? How about with Sanctuary Blade? When you play Addle, do you get to pick a card of either color, or does it have to be both? A fun idea though!
Henlock
Show
Hide
I don't know that it needs to be so challenging on the mana base, but a very fun concept! I really like it.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
I feel like this would lead to some really annoying decisions where you have to always decide a turn in advance what color mana you need. Still, a cool concept.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
I like it a lot! I don't see why it's an archer, but otherwise no notes.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Hmm, interesting. In any deck other than monoblue, colorless is probably the most likely to hit, but if you don't need lands sometimes you'll name a color since you get to scry the land away anyways. It's probably not the sort of card I'd play, but some would like it.
T3
Show
Hide
1. MonoRedMage
2. Henlock
3. netn10

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 1 year ago

1) pygyzy
2) kwanyeegor-ii
3) Henlock

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

1 - Henlock
2 - Pygyzy
3 - netn10

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your top six contestants, in order:

@slimytrout
@RaikouRider
@netn10
@kwanyeegor-ii
@Henlock
@Pygyzy

Round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”