Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL April Top 6/Round 3

"That Single Moment"

Balduvian Warlord, taken from cardsrealm, by Paolo Parente and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Blocking Month here at the CCL. The less-appreciated half of combat - let's let it shine.

Challenge
Design a card that can only be cast during the declare blockers step or with an ability that can only be activated during the declare blockers step.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@slimytrout
@Henlock
@RaikouRider
@MonoRedMage
@barbecube
@kwanyeegor-ii
Your submissions are due Thursday, April 28th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (March 31st-April 8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 12th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 20th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 8 finishers (April 25th–28th)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due April 30th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 1st-4th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due May 6th)
  • Final (May, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Iroan Tactics
Instant {R}
Cast Iroan Tactics only during the first declare blockers step of a turn.
Remove any number of target blocking creatures from combat. After this step, there is an additional declare blockers step where only those creatures can block, they must block if able, and you choose how they block. At the end of that step, all blocked creatures with no blockers become unblocked.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Intrepid Replacement 1WU
Creature - Human Soldier (R)
Lifelink
Intrepid Replacement enters the battlefield with a shield counter on it.
WU: Return target blocking creature you control to its owner's hand, then put Intrepid Replacement onto the battlefield blocking a creature that creature was blocking. Activate only during the declare blockers step.
3/3

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Katabatic Gust 1G
Instant (Common)
Cast this spell only during the declare blockers step.
Choose one
All unblocked attacking creatures with flying become blocked
Remove all blocking creatures with flying from combat. Each creature they were blocking gains trample until end of turn
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@barbecube @Henlock @MonoRedMage Just checking in.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 2 years ago

Thanks for the check-in! I'll post this afternoon ^_^
formerly willows

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Mannichi's Plot R
Instant - Arcane {R}
Exchange the power of each of any number of attacking creatures with that of another attacking creature. Do the same for blocking creatures.

barbecube

Confounded by Mist 3U
Instant (R)
For each blocking creature, remove it from combat and its owner creates a token that's a copy of it blocking each creature that creature was blocking. Exile those tokens at end of combat.
formerly willows

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, with no word from Henlock, I'm closing the round. Please critique and provide a top 3 among all of the other contestants!

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Sorry, I am.offering my submission in case it can still be accepted.

Defense Proficiency w
Instant (u)
Cast only during combat after blockers are declared.
Remove all blocking creatures from.combat. After this step, there is an additional declare blockers step (All creatures that were vlocked are still.considered blocked)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yup, I don't mind allowing this, given no one has critiqued.

Please include Henlock's entry in crits and T3s.

barbecube

RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Iroan Tactics
Instant {R}
Remove any number of target blocking creatures from combat. After this step, there is an additional declare blockers step where only those creatures can block, they must block if able, and you choose how they block. At the end of that step, all blocked creatures with no blockers become unblocked.
Okay I'm fine with RW reassigning how creatures block; I don't think this card needed to be implemented this way though. Adding a second declare blockers step feels awkward, although idk it might actually work better than doing reassignment some other way?
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Intrepid Replacement 1WU
Lifelink
WU: Return target blocking creature you control to its owner's hand, then put Intrepid Replacement onto the battlefield blocking a creature that creature was blocking. Activate only during the declare blockers step.
3/3
So for 2 mana, I can erase all damage from any attacker I can block, gain 3 life, possibly refresh a useful ETB, and I get a 3/3 lifelinker out of the deal? No one attacks in this format, I guess.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Katabatic Gust 1G
Instant (Common)
Choose one
All unblocked attacking creatures with flying become blocked
Remove all blocking creatures with flying from combat. Each creature they were blocking gains trample until end of turn
I don't buy this second mode in monogreen.
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Mannichi's Plot R
Instant - Arcane {R}
Exchange the power of each of any number of attacking creatures with that of another attacking creature. Do the same for blocking creatures.
This is cool to, like, write on a card, but I despair for the player who's trying to use it or attack into an opponent who might have it.
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Defense Proficiency w
Instant (u)
Remove all blocking creatures from.combat. After this step, there is an additional declare blockers step (All creatures that were vlocked are still.considered blocked)
ok white bad so bad fog is white
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. Henlock
3. MonoRedMage
formerly willows

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

slimytrout: My only complaint is this should probably only be allowed to enter the battlefield blocking a creature it could legally block. Other than that, this is quite good.

kwanyeegor-ii: This feels like a multicolored card despite affecting only flying creatures. Probably should have white in its cost somewhere.

MonoRedMage: This is the correct rarity, but this is a nightmare to try to resolve and/or play around, either casting it or having it cast against you. I like the concept but it needs better execution.

barbecube: So this creates a set of phantom blockers? This is neat but I think this would be better as a white multicolored card. In mono-blue I think this is a big pie break.

Henlock: This is basically a fog but it could matter in Limited environments with lots of on-attack and on-block triggers.

I want to give third place to all of you; the top two were standouts but the rest were all on about the same level - one giaring issue on an otherwise nice design.

1) slimytrout
2) Henlock
3) barbecube
Last edited by RaikouRider 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Man, "all blocked creatures with no blockers become unblocked" is a strange bit of text, although this challenge did encourage that sort of thing. Overall this seems a bit underpowered, since it's relying on your opponents to block in the first place -- if they just let your creatures through it's completely useless. But otherwise fun.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Huh. Definitely not common, but otherwise I guess it's fine, although once again quite underpowered.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Hmmm, I'd love if this got some sort of bounding, so that the number of possible switches doesn't just expand factorially as you increase the number of creatures in combat. But overall seems situationally powerful but hardly busted.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Why "owner"? This could cause some real rule headaches if you're blocking with a mind-controlled creature. Otherwise it's another card that is quite strong and fun if you can set it up right, but that setup cost is enormous.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Mostly just a way worse version of Druid's Deliverance. I'm not very interested.
T3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. barbecube
3. MonoRedMage

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

top 3

1. RaikouRaider
2. Monoredmage
3.Kwanyegor

barbecube

Sorry I know we're a bit off schedule, no hurry implied or suggested, but can we get a check-in about what the crit deadline is and when we are moving on to the next round?
formerly willows

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yes, let's get crits and top 3s in by 23:59 Eastern on the 14th - in about 24 hours.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

crits
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
2 years ago
Iroan Tactics
Instant {R}
Interesting but prob too complex... Master Warcraft does this general category of effect better but i really do like this being a combat trick
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Intrepid Replacement 1WU
Lifelink
3/3
Nice, situationlly strong but not op
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Mannichi's Plot R
Instant - Arcane {R}
This looks fun but WAY too complicate to actually print
barbecube wrote:
2 years ago
Confounded by Mist 3U
Instant (R)
For each blocking creature, remove it from combat and its owner creates a token that's a copy of it blocking each creature that creature was blocking. Exile those tokens at end of combat.
Nice, good way to use ETB effects but also allows u to block with no risk. i think its a cool dyamic
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Sorry, I am.offering my submission in case it can still be accepted.

Defense Proficiency w
Instant (u)
Interesting but weird fog type effect
t3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 barbecube
3 raikourider
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

Top 3 -

1 - barbecube
2 - RaikouRider
3 - slimytrout

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our - in actuality - top 5:

RaikouRider
barbecube
slimytrout
MonoRedMage
Henlock

Next round to come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”