Trashmander: Magic the Trashening

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

So this all started when I wanted to put Erg Raiders, Order of Leitbur and Sengir Vampire in a deck.

Now I've got two friends who made actively horrible casual decks, and we're making more. Got a few other folks interested as well.

The ethos of this format is basically:

1. play almost entirely bad cards that rarely if ever see play otherwise
2. don't overload on synergy and velocity
3. have an aesthetic in mind for your deck

I have two trash decks - mindless tribal fungus that attacks the last person who attacked it, and does not communicate about the board state, and my orzhov midrange with such beauties as Ashes to Ashes, General Jarkeld and Hypnotic Specter.

One friend built Fumiko the Lowblood tribal samurai and eastern themed equipment/effects, and another built some kind of weird green stompy deck with +1/+1 counters that was a bit overgood.

We've been playing against other people's lower power decks thus far, and overall creating pretty interesting games that don't require as much hyperanalysis and attention to board states and so on. There's still some amount of play skill involved, but there's a lot of deck slot machine randomness.

I wouldn't pretend that I could play this way all the time but it definitely shakes things up and pushes people's thinking to finding cards that they wouldn't normally play, and to look at reasons to include cards other than power level.

Things I've generally (lol) found about how to build a bad deck that takes a long time to do things but doesn't get run over --

1. Play a bad commander. If your commander is strong, every trashmander game will revolve around that strongly. Having a commander that does *something* but not too much is difficult and probably the single most limiting factor for trashmander. Almost every new legendary creature is overwhelming, single handedly influencing games and making vanilla creatures meaningless or generating tons of card adantage.

If you avoid commanders who generate card advantage or steamrolling advantage, it helps a lot at keeping things tame.

2. Play some removal but avoid overloading on sweepers.

3. Incremental rather than explosive card advantage. In my Selenia, Dark Angel deck I have CA engines like Disturbed Burial, Necrologia and Jayemdae Tome.

4. Combat is important in slower games, so things that influence combat are often good points to interact at. Reverse Damage has been pretty good for example.

Similarly be careful about recurring lifegain - a big lifelinker can just shut off any racing pretty fast. Cards like Sunscorch Regent or Soul Warden can be of outsized effect.

I found Icy Manipulator and Royal Assassin to both be borderline too strong when people're trying to incrementally win with combat :P

5. Just don't search your library so damn much. :)
Last edited by pokken 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
mindless tribal fungus that attacks the last person who attacked it, and does not communicate about the board state
This is amazing.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
mindless tribal fungus that attacks the last person who attacked it, and does not communicate about the board state
This is amazing.
The true spirit of EDH!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

I wish I could play this

pokken

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
I wish I could play this
I built a couple decks and ran them out against normal decks. People got interested when they saw the ridiculous cards I was running :)

Might be a thing you could germinate?

Interestingly the decks do usually wind up being budget, but I think budget is a useless constraint because there are plenty of ridiculously strong things that end games super fast at low price points (see Dragon Throne of Tarkir) as well as great cheap removal spells and sweepers.

I'd be down to build some jank and stream some games sometime. I think I'm getting pretty good at building nearly unwinnable garbage :P

On a side note, a friend of mine randomly discorded me and he was like "I heard you guys are playing jank, I have a mono black soldiers deck I'd like to get in some games with" -- apparently has all the portal soldiers and stuff.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
I wish I could play this
I built a couple decks and ran them out against normal decks. People got interested when they saw the ridiculous cards I was running :)

Might be a thing you could germinate?

Interestingly the decks do usually wind up being budget, but I think budget is a useless constraint because there are plenty of ridiculously strong things that end games super fast at low price points (see Dragon Throne of Tarkir) as well as great cheap removal spells and sweepers.

I'd be down to build some jank and stream some games sometime. I think I'm getting pretty good at building nearly unwinnable garbage :P

On a side note, a friend of mine randomly discorded me and he was like "I heard you guys are playing jank, I have a mono black soldiers deck I'd like to get in some games with" -- apparently has all the portal soldiers and stuff.
I don't have a dedicated group. I'm at the mercy of whoever shows up to the LGS.

pokken

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
I don't have a dedicated group. I'm at the mercy of whoever shows up to the LGS.

They can be at the mercy of your Brassclaw Orcs instead

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

A friend and I actually have messed around with "Bad monocolor" decks. He built bad blue with Reveka, Wizard Savant and bad red with Eron the Relentless. I built bad black with Grandmother Sengir and bad colorless with Golos, Tireless Pilgrim (Trust me that thing's a lot less stupid when its ability flips over cards like Serpent Generator and Pit Trap). We still do pack ways to somehow win eventually, like how my friend's Eron had a voltron plan with Embercleave or how my Golos had Door to Nothingness but most of our gameplan was to stun game store randos with our terrible jank cards that we attempt to make some semblance of a function with. Imagine getting wrecked by Cinder Cloud or punk'd by a Headstone.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

This post definitely inspired me to throw together a sleeveless, no-rares Arcades, the Strategist pile. I get to show off my old bordered Arcades and put all of those random revised basics I have for some reason to work. Can't wait for the reactions of my opponents when I dig the deck out of the bottom of my backpack, remove the rubberband and bridge shuffle before presenting it for cuts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”