[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Spinal Embrace

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

He could definitely be a fun voltron commander. Load him up with Nightmare Lash types of cards to make him big in a hurry, swing for the fences and make huge demons to swing as others with. It won't be top tier, but if you want a table with big scary threats it could certainly do the job.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

I played against a Tivash deck when the whole spelltable thing was at full force. It was a fun deck tbh. It has a cap on how powerful it can be so it is nice if yo are looking for a casual deck

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Thursday, March 3rd, 2022; Heartwarming Redemption

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
The card is meh, but not unplayable.
I am running it in a tamely powered Sunforger package, where it usually works as a late game refiller. It never disappointed me as that, yet i don't necessarily get excited drawing into it.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

I was shocked to find I owned 0 copies of this across about half a box of WotS.

It looks bad on paper, but in context I've been really curious to try it out in a variety of RWx spellslinger-y or graveyard-loving decks. At a glance this seems infinitely worse than Reforge the Soul nevermind Wheel of Fortune - but,Reforge is $10 with only one reprint to its name, and Wheel is now more than most folk's car payment.

What's helpful compared to actual competition spells like Winds of Change and "impulsive draw" or "rummage" effects like Thrilling Discovery, Reckless Impulse, Cathartic Reunion, etc, is that this will at least cantrip and is always card neutral instead of often card negative. Most notably, this is one of the only instant-speed versions of this effect (Fateful Showdown is its lone mate) which is important for anyone looking to Sunforger it or play a more controlling line. In general, Fateful Showdown is mostly better - but, again, it is technically card negative and sometimes like in Firesong and Sunspeaker the lifegain matters.

We've got enough draw spells in Boros in the last few years that this isn't a staple or anything, but I think it's a bit underrated and intend to track a copy or two down soon.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

the only good part of this card is the art

I would only consider with GY synergies.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
the only good part of this card is the art

I would only consider with GY synergies.
I mean, it has value with Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Alhammarret's Archive, and The Locust God, but there are better wheels.

Still, it is a nice image of our boy finally knowing Elysium, but practically unplayable as a card.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Plays well enough in Osgir, the Reconstructor from what ive seen

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Thursday, March 3rd, 2022; Heartwarming Redemption
I would rather play Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion or Cavalier of Flame. Sure, one has to connect and another is one mana more, but, they're both leagues scarier.

3drinks

Friday, March 4th, 2022; Oppression

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Slot this in if you still have any friends after playing Tainted Aether and Overburden.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

My favorite Oppression experience is landing it turn 3 against a Storm deck that didn't include any bounce. Oops!

It's a savage card that does a lot of work in MBC, but don't expect to make many friends.

hyalopterouslemur

It's symmetrical, which is why I prefer Painful Quandary.

It's a way to screw over storm decks, not as nasty as Arcane Laboratory/Rule of Law, but still pretty nasty. It also can be fun with Bloodchief Ascension, Liliana's Caress, Megrim and the like.

It's not something I include in Nekusar, the Mindrazer, just because that deck prefers to keep everyone's hands huge, use Teferi's Puzzle Box and wish everyone, especially the player directly to my left, a very omae wa mou shindeiru.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

I loved running Oppression in Chainer, Dementia Master. Chainer needs time to get enough mana on board to start doing things, and this often had the "virtual CA" effect of slowing my opponents tempo because they didn't want to lose cards, but I do want some of my cards in the yard so it's a discard outlet most of the time for me. And many of my control answers were done via instant-speed reanimation, so being practically hellbent and casting the only card I had in hand was fine. MBC is always the "bad guy" at a table, IMO, so one might as well own that.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

I've run Oppression a few times in Discard tribal. Make your Commander Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern or Tinybones, Trinket Thief or even Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger and it seems like it could be a good idea. But in practice it just draws warranted hate.

Painful Quandary is a much stronger version of the card because it doesn't affect you and because it starts donking them for big chunks of their life when they're on an empty hand. One of the biggest problems with Oppression is that once they're in topdeck mode it stops doing things. Of course, 5 mana is a lot more than two, and Dark Ritualing this out turn one is pretty powerful.

But it's probably better left on the sidelines.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

The OG art does excite me for a set later this year [as I have to imagine we finally will get Gix].
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

How I wish I had the OG card in foil!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

3drinks

Saturday, March 5th, 2022; Mist of Stagnation

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

I gotta get a hat like that.

It's on my short list of $1 rares to grab. The 5cmc is probably fair since you're just gonna do degenerate stuff with it (along with some other cards).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

This plus Rest In Peace is eternal stasis. Nice to know!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

hyalopterouslemur

wildfire393 wrote:
2 years ago
I've run Oppression a few times in Discard tribal. Make your Commander Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern or Tinybones, Trinket Thief or even Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger and it seems like it could be a good idea. But in practice it just draws warranted hate.

Painful Quandary is a much stronger version of the card because it doesn't affect you and because it starts donking them for big chunks of their life when they're on an empty hand. One of the biggest problems with Oppression is that once they're in topdeck mode it stops doing things. Of course, 5 mana is a lot more than two, and Dark Ritualing this out turn one is pretty powerful.

But it's probably better left on the sidelines.
You mean three. (And what is it with people saying "tribal" for non-tribal things?)

Anyway, Mist of Stagnation is also five mana, and it's ridiculous with Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void.

Note that Seedborn Muse gets around it, unlike Stasis.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
I gotta get a hat like that.
Nice hat.deck
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Sword of Feast and Famine, Brago, King Eternal / Derevi, Empyrial Tactician, profit?

Well, if you're connecting with Brago/derevi and SOFAF it's probly game over anyway :)

3drinks

Sunday, Match 6th, 2022; Reign of the Pit

Huh. Well there's a card I definitely haven't seen before. I dig it.

Melua
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Melua » 2 years ago

It's generally not as good as it seems. Most people have 1/1 tokens to sac to it, and more sac heavy decks have better things to spend six mana on at sorcery speed. The cost makes it too slow against Voltron too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”