Custom Cards for Peasant Cube Setting

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Hello and welcome to my open musing space for while Im at work and it is slow. If you don't know me, Im an avid Peasant cuber and one of my favorite sets and cards have been the draft matters cards of conspiracy. I've been mulling over some ideas for what could maybe work as custom cards in my peasant cube and figured as I design its better to just keep them all in a contained thread.

cards like Cogwork Librarian are some of the most fun in a cube setting for me but have to be designed sparingly.

Other mechanics that I want to design on are uncommon Fixing lands and Ante as I have a special ruling for Ante and how it works in a cube setting. If you draft an ante card and place in in your deck at the beginning of the game, only you ante up a card from the top of your library. Each game who ever wins the game keeps the card. As it isn't gambling or really losing a card this ante rule gives a long term drawback for a short term boost in power which also makes for interesting games.

On to the cards:
Desperate Plea
Show
Hide
Desperate Plea 1BB
Sorcery (U)
Remove Desperate Plea from your deck before playing if you're not playing for ante.
Discard your hand, ante the top card of your library, the draw seven cards and lose seven life.
Liliana knew in that moment she needed more power but there was nothing in this world that could help her.
Higure's Infiltrator
Show
Hide
Higure's Infiltrator 2U
Creature - Human Ninja (u)
Ninjutsu 1U
Draft Higure's Infiltrator face up.
As you draft a creature card, you may reveal it, note its name, then turn Higure's Infiltrator face down.
Higure's Infiltrator enters the battlefield as a copy of the named card until it becomes the target of a spell or ability.
2/2
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Hah, in a cube setting specifically ante seems to work well. I'm concerned that you're making whether or not you ante into a sort of draft-matters thing; it feels like it'll be easy to make overpowered or plain swingy cards with a drawback like the one you describe for these ante cards. Of course, that would seemingly just mean everybody would want to get in on the anteing anyway.

Higure's Infiltrator is sheer brilliance though.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

I've been sitting on these cards for a week or so and am excited to create them for the cube to test:

Hierarch of Paliano G
Creature - Elf Cleric (U)
Exalted
Reveal Hierarch of Paliano as you draft it. The player to your right chooses a color, you choose another color, and then the player to left chooses a third color.
T: Add one mana of any color chosen as you drafted cards named Hierarch of Paliano.
0/1

Raging Bloodbeard r
Creature - Dwarf Warrior (U)
Haste
Raging Bloodbeard attacks each turn if able.
2/1

Storm Clique 2U
Creature - Faerie Elemental (U)
Flash, Flying
Storm
At the end of turn sacrifice Storm Clique.
1/1

Kitsune Abolisher 1W
Creature - Fox Cleric (U)
Flash
When Kitsune Abolisher enters the battlefield, counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
1/1
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Hierarch of Paliano - Nice double reference. Basically just a "clever" card, not much to say balance-wise because it's exactly as okay as the other mana-Hierarchs.

Raging Bloodbeard - Sure. In a cube setting this is just fine.

Storm Clique - On the other hand this is underpowered if anything; an Un-set card is a weird comparison but Crow Storm seems much better in a storm deck - although, of course, this is primarily a defensive card. Nevertheless, it could still be 2/1; as it is it has to have a quite high storm count for it to be a worthwhile number of one-shot blockers for the mana.

Kitsune Abolisher - This is missing SOME kind of text, which I'm assuming is an ETB clause. Totally reasonable! I like tax counters in white.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”