September MCC, Round 1 - Grow the Garden

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Banner based on Jalira, Master Polymorphist by Steve Prescott and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
September MCC, Round 1 - Grow the Garden

Welcome to the September MCC! It's Alterations Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design an Aura card that can be attached to a land
Subchallenge 1: Your card does not have the word "mana" in its rules text.
Subchallenge 2: Your card has X in either its mana cost and/or its rules text.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Thursday, September 9th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Sunday, September 12th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: The enchant ability must allow it to be attached to a land, but it can also enchant something else, and it does not have to be able to enchant all lands. For example, "enchant land", "enchant Forest", and "enchant noncreature permanent" are all valid.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
bravelion83

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 years ago

Mirror Lens U
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant land
When Mirror Lens enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Whenever enchanted land becomes the target of a spell, you may pay X, where X's is the number of spells you cast this turn that targeted lands. If you do, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy. (Permanent spell copies enters the battlefield as tokens.)
Last edited by netn10 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Riria

Post by Riria » 2 years ago

Universal Capacitor XU
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant permanent
Universal Capacitor enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it.
Whenever you cast a spell, you may remove a charge counter from Universal Capacitor. If you do, untap enchanted permanent.
"Anything can hold a battery if you're brave enough." - Drizzn, Izzet Staticaster

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Presence of Parallon 5
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant land
Enchanted land has "X, t: Create a tapped token that's a copy of this land except it isn't legendary." X is the number of other lands you control with the same name as enchanted land.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Refreshing Glamour
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Permanent
When Refreshing Glamour becomes attached to a permanent, untap it.
: Attach Refreshing Glamour to target permanent with mana value X. Activate only as a sorcery.
"Tarassel posits that all things retain the memory of their former state. It's up to us to find when they were most helpful."
-Teferi

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Everspawn Totem 2GU
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant land
Enchanted land is a 4/4 green and blue Spirit Hydra creature with "XX, T: Create X 1/1 green Snake creature tokens." It's still a land.
Totem Armor (If enchanted permanent would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this Aura.)
Last edited by Subject16 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Enliven XXG
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant land
When Enliven enters the battlefield, if you cast it, create X tokens that are copies of Enliven. For each of those tokens, you may attach it to a land you control.
Enchanted land is a 2/2 Elemental creature with haste that's still a land. It has "T: Add GG."

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Infernal Statuary BB
Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant land
X: Enchanted land becomes a creature and gains the creature types, power, and toughness of target creature card with mana value X or less in your graveyard until end of turn. It's still a land.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 2 years ago

Aeon Prison XU
Enchantment - Aura {R}
Enchant permanent
Aeon Prison enters the battlefield with X time counters on it.
Enchanted permanent is a colorless land with "T: Add C" and loses all other abilities.
Vanishing

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 2 years ago

Dragon's Peak 2RR
Enchantment - Aura {M}
Enchant Mountain
When Dragon's Peak enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 red Dragon creature token with flying.
Enchanted land has "XRR: Create a X/X red Dragon creature token with flying."

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Breath of the Maker w
Enchantment - Aura (r)
Enchant permanent
Effects that cause enchanted permanent to become a creature don't end during the end phase.
Totem armor (If enchanted permanent would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this Aura.)

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

Lithomancer's Matrix
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant artifact or land
Enchanted permanent has ward , where X is the number of counters on it.
Whenever enchanted permanent becomes tapped, put a charge counter on it.
With mineral veins lithomancers can create intricate patterns that stir the dormant energies into something useful.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Empowerment
Enchantment — Aura (Rare)
Enchant land you control
Enchanted land and basic lands you control have indestructible.
: Enchanted land loses indestructible and becomes an X/X Elemental creature token with reach until end of turn. It's still a land.
The art of empowerment begins from a strong support system.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that will conclude the round. The judge brackets are the following:

void_nothing:
netn10
Legend
slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii
RaikouRider
Henlock

bravelion83:
Riria
vishamon
Subject16
Freyleyes
Lorn Asbord Schutta
marioguy3

The top 4 scorers per judge will advance.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 years ago

Judgments complete.
Riria
Show
Hide
Riria wrote:
2 years ago
Universal Capacitor XU
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant permanent
Universal Capacitor enters the battlefield with X charge counters on it.
Whenever you cast a spell, you may remove a charge counter from Universal Capacitor. If you do, untap enchanted permanent.
"Anything can hold a battery if you're brave enough." - Drizzn, Izzet Staticaster
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy doesn't care too much. Johnny loves this, so much potential for different combos, exploiting either the trigger or the effect. Spike looks at what Johnny creates and will play any resulting deck that's good and reliable enough.
Elegance 3/3 - Not too complicated, relatively easy to understand, and not too long.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 2/3 - I think this is a card made more for constructed than limited. While it can do other things, I think its most frequent uses would be to untap lands to gain mana or to untap things that tap for an effect, possibly achieving a combo. If you have some of those things in limited you could play this, but I can't see this card getting a lot of limited play. In constructed, this will definitely be in combo decks in any format. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Charge counters, untapping things, Auras that can enchant everything, we've seen all that before. Old elements put together in a technically new way.
Flavor 3/3 - The name works well with the card concept. At first, I had trouble understanding the flavor text, because I thought that "you" that are "brave enough" is the same "anything" that "can hold a battery", which made me think that "you're" should have been "it's", but how can "anything", a thing, be "brave"? Then I thought that "anything" was the mistake, and that it should be "anyone", but what's so special about someone keeping a battery in their hands? Then I had an epiphany: "you" are inserting the "battery" into the "anything", and it suddenly made sense. You're "brave" because "you" put the battery in "anything", that's things that are not supposed to "hold it". I don't know if it's just my mind struggling or if there is something that could have been clearer. Ok, that's most probably me. Now that I've understood it, it also makes a lot of sense for the Izzet. They are definitely brave enough to put batteries into places where they don't belong. And after all, the word "universal" in the name is perfect for a battery that goes into anything. I don't know how I didn't understand it immediately.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - In the flavor text, the attribution should be on its own separate line (-0.5). Both hyphens should be em dashes, but no deduction for that.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good. "Land" is a subset of "permanent", so this can be attached to a "land".
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 21.5/25
vishamon
Show
Hide
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Refreshing Glamour
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Permanent
When Refreshing Glamour becomes attached to a permanent, untap it.
: Attach Refreshing Glamour to target permanent with mana value X. Activate only as a sorcery.
"Tarassel posits that all things retain the memory of their former state. It's up to us to find when they were most helpful."
-Teferi
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Timmy doesn't care. Probably Spike too, seeing how much mana she has to pay for the effect and only as a sorcery on top of that. Johnny loves this card, the combo potential is through the roof here.
Elegance 3/3 - Not too long and easy enough to understand.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. I'm not sure whether it should be uncommon or rare, but I'll accept uncommon, seeing as the enchanted permanent will only untap one time and not every turn or something like that.
Balance 2/3 - I like the X for the mana value of whatever thing you want to attach this too. It's kind of a self-balancing knob: if you want to attach this to a powerful permanent with a high mana value to untap it you will have to pay a lot of mana. The play pattern this implies is to keep this going around from one permanent to another, the more this goes around the more value you will get out of it, but also the more mana you will have to pay. This is good. I'm not sure how much limited play this would see. In constructed, maybe in specific combo decks. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Nothing really new here, we've already seen Auras that untap permanents and activated abilities that attach them to things. The whole package is technically new, but no elements are if taken by themselves.
Flavor 2.5/3 - I can see the name and the flavor text separately, but I see no real connection. They are good, don't misunderstand me, I would have just liked to see more of a connection, that's all. That can be also said of real cards sometimes.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - The word "permanent" in the enchant ability should not be capitalized (-0.5). In the triggered ability there is a potential ambiguity: what is "it" that you "untap"? This Aura or the enchanted permanent? The answer is clearly the latter, but potential ambiguities aren't good. You could have just written "untap that permanent". (-0.5) Both hyphens should be em dashes, but no deduction for that.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good. "Land" is a subset of "permanent", so this can be attached to a "land".
TOTAL 20/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Everspawn Totem 2GU
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant land
Enchanted land is a 4/4 green and blue Spirit Hydra creature with "XX, T: Create X 1/1 green Snake creature tokens." It's still a land.
Totem Armor (If enchanted permanent would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this Aura.)
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes turning his lands into creatures that create tokens, that's even more creatures. Johnny can probably find something to do, even if this doesn't seem too obscure for his taste. If Spike considers playing an Aura, this looks like a good candidate.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - You essentially have a 4/4 with upside for four mana and two cards. We've seen Auras increasing in power in recent years to make up for their intrinsic card disadvantage, so I'd say that's fine. Having a creature is important in limited, so of the cards that I've reviewed so far I think this is the most likely to see limited play. I don't know if it's enough for constructed, probably not. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Auras animating lands into creatures are nothing new. Yet, there is only one existing card with totem armor that sets power and toughness of enchanted creature rather than giving a P/T bonus: Octopus Umbra. Also, I can't remember or find an Aura that animates the land into a creature that creates tokens.
Flavor 2.5/3 - The name is fine and I like the word "Totem" on a card that has totem armor. It's strange not to see the word "Umbra" instead. Except for Estrid, the Masked that creates tokens with totem armor, every card with totem armor is called "[name of an animal] Umbra" so far. According to MSE a couple lines of flavor text could have fit, but the card does look better without it. The rules text is enough to nicely fill up all the text box.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - The word "armor" in "Totem armor" should not be capitalized. (-0.5)
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
TOTAL 22/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
2 years ago
Dragon's Peak 2RR
Enchantment - Aura {M}
Enchant Mountain
When Dragon's Peak enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 red Dragon creature token with flying.
Enchanted land has "XRR: Create a X/X red Dragon creature token with flying."
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy likes creating Dragon tokens and loves the flavor. Johnny could probably use the tokens somehow. Spike likes the immediate value of the ETB trigger.
Elegance 3/3 - Harder to do better than this within the constraints of the challenges.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. It feels more regular rare than mythic to me. Don't ask me why, it's just a feel thing.
Balance 3/3 - The mana costs look fine, but I'm convinced that if it weren't for subchallenge 2 the last ability would just create 3/3 tokens for a fixed cost. It would be so nice, speaking as a Mel, to have all the tokens lined up. It would also be easier logistically, as is you probably need different Dragon tokens for the different power and toughness you can create, or you just have to use dice. I think this is playable in limited, which is far from a given this round. As for constructed, I'm still not sure it's enough for competitive formats, but this is maybe the only card so far that has made me think before writing that. I think it comes close, a repeatable source of Dragons with immediate impact could be considered for deck inclusion in decks with enough Mountains. Might this even be good enough for monored burn decks in Standard as a finisher and a mana sink? Maybe. Where I can definitely see this is casual constructed. This card will shine there. I see no problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Unexpectedly, at least for me, searching the line "enchant Mountain" on Gatherer returns only three cards ever: Awaken the Ancient, a card from M14 that turns the Mountain into a 7/7 Giant, Chained to the Rocks, the only one that I actually remembered, the Theros Oblivion Ring variant, and Genju of the Spires from original (now I have to say it!) Kamigawa, that can turn the Mountain into a 6/1 Spirit. None of the three creates tokens. This card is actually more original than it may look at first glance.
Flavor 2.5/3 - This is a flavor slam dunk, it's just perfect. Too bad for the lack of flavor text, while MSE shows me that two or even three lines could have fit.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - It should be "Create an X/X" with "an" and not "a". One of the most recent examples I've found: Lair of the Hydra (AFR), but there are many others. (-0.5) The hyphen should be an em dash, but no deduction for that.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good. "Mountain" is a subset of "land", so this can be attached to a "land".
TOTAL 23.5/25
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
2 years ago
Lithomancer's Matrix
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant artifact or land
Enchanted permanent has ward , where X is the number of counters on it.
Whenever enchanted permanent becomes tapped, put a charge counter on it.
With mineral veins lithomancers can create intricate patterns that stir the dormant energies into something useful.
Design
Appeal 1.5/3 - Timmy wishes this Aura could enchant a creature other than artifact creatures. Johnny could use this as protection from removal for one of his combo pieces if it's an artifact or land. Spike likes the low mana cost at least, but I don't think she's interested in this card too much.
Development
Viability 2.5/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. The logistics of potentially different counters on the same permanent pushes this towards rare in my opinion.
Balance 2/3 - I don't think being able to enchant lands with this is relevant enough, but not because there is something wrong in this card, just because land destruction is not really a threat these days, it's already so weak that it's unplayable all by itself (luckily), I don't think additional protection is needed. Among all card types, lands are probably the ones that you tap the most in an average game, so X will certainly reach high enough values, so the protection this offers to lands is good, I just reckon that's not actually needed. Enchanting artifacts looks better, but especially artifact creatures. Artifact removal is more widespread than land destruction, but what you really want to protect is creatures. Conveniently, creatures tap to attack so if you enchant an artifact creature with evasion with this, it will tap a lot. Actually, the more that creature attacks the more it gets protected from removal. You might consider playing this in your limited deck if you have enough artifacts and artifact creatures, which is not easy to do except in artifact blocks and sets like Kaladesh and Mirrodin. In competitive constructed, I actually see this more as a sideboard card. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - Ward is still new but evergreen. I don't remember having seen scaling ward yet though. Tap triggers and charge counters are nothing new.
Flavor 3/3 - This is the strongest point of this card in my opinion. Name and flavor text reinforce each other and are very good. I can see them printed as is.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. I don't know if the lack of the word "charge" in the ward ability is intentional, but that's not a Quality mistake. The card works just fine as is, it just counts any counters.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good. "Land" is a subset of "artifact or land", so this can be attached to a "land".
TOTAL 21/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
2 years ago
Empowerment
Enchantment — Aura (Rare)
Enchant land you control
Enchanted land and basic lands you control have indestructible.
: Enchanted land loses indestructible and becomes an X/X Elemental creature token with reach until end of turn. It's still a land.
The art of empowerment begins from a strong support system.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes animating lands and doesn't care about the mana cost to do it, unlike Spike. I don't know what Johnny could do with this, but probably he will be able to come up with something.
Elegance 2/3 - The text is easily understandable but giving indestructible and then removing it is the opposite of elegant.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with rarity or the rules, even though it's a rather complicated card as it first grants indestructible then removes it, but it works. The activated ability is really monogreen, I don't see any white in it.
Balance 2/3 - Giving indestructible to a bunch of lands at once for just one mana looks strong, even if land destruction isn't the threat that it used to be more than a decade ago. In fact, I'm not even sure the land has to trade off indestructible to be animated. It's nice for balance, so that I can use my creature removal on your animated land, but I don't know if it's actually needed. The animation activated ability gives some limited playability to this. In constructed, I see this as a sideboard card at best. I see no problems in casual and multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 - Giving a bonus to enchanted land and basic lands at the same time feels original. Land animation is something we've seen a million times (figuratively of course, there isn't even a million unique Magic cards yet).
Flavor 2/3 - The name is fine, but the flavor text is maybe a little bit too generic. Also, I just don't see the connection to the mechanics. Is indestructible the "strong support system"? Maybe, but I could see the same name and flavor text working with totally different mechanics.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - In the activated ability cost, the green mana symbol should come before the white one. (-1)
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good. "Land you control" is a subset of "land", so this can be attached to a "land".
TOTAL 18.5/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Freyleyes: 23.5
Subject16: 22
Riria: 21.5
Lorn Asbord Schutta: 21

vishamon: 20
marioguy3: 18.5
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bumping for my judgments. They'll be finished tomorrow.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - I legitimately think everyone wants to dump as many Wild Growths as they have mana onto a land.
(2/3) Elegance - A bit complex to be sure but does nothing that any repeatable copy effect has not done.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a rare. Blue is good enough although red or even green could also work.
(2.5/3) Balance - There are silly things you can do with this - might have done well to have a "cast or copied this turn" clause so that each successive copy increases the cost - but it's not overpowered in any sense.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Has general precedent in other repeatable spell copiers but I've never seen it done like this before.
(3/3) Flavor - Name/flavor matchup is very good. Feels like a Vryn-flavored card. I like that I get the sense that it explains not only why it creates spell copies, but also why it's the size of something you'd install within a land.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Minor grammar mistake: "X's is".
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 22.5/25
Legend
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both have good reason to want a whole bunch of their best nonbasic. The base card is a bit too expensive for Spike.
(2/3) Elegance - Mostly fine, but it does create potentially complex tokens and the ability cost requires tracking.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a rare. Colorless enchantments are for sure unusual but I think this effect is unusual enough that it fits.
(3/3) Balance - No issues here - there are enough riders and costs that this is too slow to do anything degenerate.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - You don't see a heck of a lot of land copying.
(2.5/3) Flavor - It's a bit abstract, and I don't know who or what Parallon is, but the card makes me want to find out. I like my colorless nonartifact spells to feel mysterious, honestly.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - The "X is equal to" should go inside the quotation marks granting the ability I think.

Total: 22/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Everybody likes this one. Txmmy wants an army of lands that tap for extra mana. Jxnny has plenty of potential interactions. Spike likes the versatility of being able to use this as a cheap early accel/creature option or a late game blowout.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The base card is not complicated. The token creation somewhat is.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Green rare for sure.
(3/3) Balance - Maybe a little pushed but basically fine. The double X in the cost is surely necessary.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Somewhat similar to other mass land animation cards - those tend to make 2/2s in particular. The differences are granting the mana ability and the scalability.
(2.5/3) Flavor - A one-word card name is always a bold choice. Verbs feel off as permanent card names, even Auras, but otherwise this is a perfectly evocative name.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.

Total: 23/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both want to use this with Death's Shadow or Phyrexian Dreadnought. Spike feels that there are better things to do with combos than have a big vanilla.
(2/3) Elegance - This is a really fiddly way of going about what it's trying to do.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Rare looks about right. Hard to say if this is more black or more green though.
(2.5/3) Balance - Mostly fine, maybe even a bit underpowered if not comboing out. Did you mean for this card to grant colors and abilities too?

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Using a land as a proxy-reanimation thing is unique but ultimately what you get is just a vanilla creature.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name works. Maybe this could have used short flavor text?

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks okay.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - And done.
(1/2) Subchallenges - X, but mana is in "mana value".

Total: 19.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy sees little to care about. Jxnny likes more esoteric forms of removal, especially with counter manipulation. Spike likes a versatile removal tool.
(2/3) Elegance - This card has a lot of lines and definitely its fair share of tracking involved.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely blue and rare.
(2.5/3) Balance - As worded this card has a major problem and is clearly undercosted. However that's obviously a Quality mistake so I'll address that below.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness - Basically just an Imprisoned in the Moon sidegrade.
(3/3) Flavor - Name rolls off the tongue and justifies the effect well enough for me, in an abstract sort of way.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - This is missing an "X can't be zero" clause. As-is, casting it for X=0 means it enters with no time counters. With no counters to remove, vanishing will never "remove the last counter" and thus never cause it to be sacrificed, resulting in no drawback at all for the cheapest possible cost.

Total: 18.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes keeping their animation effects but doesn't like cards that don't do much on their own. Jxnny is all about this. Spike would like this for the cheap cost as long as there was a really good temporary-animation effect to pair it with.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Has some potential situations that would result in a judge call but overall the effect is very understandable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This is a unique enough effect that you could justify it in just about any color, although I like white here. Definitely rare because of that uniqueness too.
(3/3) Balance - No issue at all. This is a very niche card meant for special interactions.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - In black-bordered Magic this is just about unprecedented. Of course in Un-land we have Staying Power.
(3/3) Flavor - No flavor text but a very evocative name (and I think on a real card there would be some reminder text in there).

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - I think "don't end at end of turn" is a better way of expressing this.
(1/2) Subchallenges - No mana, but no X either.

Total: 21/25
Totals (Bold advance)
Show
Hide
slimytrout 23
netn10 22.5
Legend 22
Henlock 21

kwanyeegor-ii 19.5
RaikouRider 18.5

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”