[MID] Set-booster-only cards (Avacyn's Memorial, Curse of Obsession, Visions cycle)

Sniffnoy
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sniffnoy » 2 years ago

There are 7 of these, and they're previewed here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2021-09-02

I'm going to be lazy and just attach images of 2 of them, you can find the rest there :P
Attachments
coo.png
acm.png

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

None of these are good, but I don't like this trend. Such things always end in Nexus of Fates.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
None of these are good, but I don't like this trend. Such things always end in Nexus of Fates.
I disagree, the Curse of Obsession is a good way to deal with the "card hoarder", and making all your legendary permanents indestructible can be really good. I can see myself using Avacyn's Memorial in my Sisay deck. The visions are meh though.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Curse of Obsession looks very solid, and possibly also the first curse you may be interested in throwing on yourself - it is strong against countermagic and many control decks, but drawing two extra cards per turn is pretty big.
Avacyn's Memorial is a great callback to Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Akroma's Memorial. I don't think it is a particularly strong card - limiting it to only legendary permanents cuts it down a lot - but it is nice flavor.
Visions are meh, but they're interesting for more expensive commanders.

....I am concerned about the implications of mechanically unique cards in set boosters though - it makes it even more difficult to track what cards come from where. Also, as a person that primarily buys singles, I'm concerned about the availability of these cards.

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 2 years ago

At least it's commander-only cards, so no weird effect on standard, draft or modern.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Curse of Obsession looks very solid, and possibly also the first curse you may be interested in throwing on yourself - it is strong against countermagic and many control decks, but drawing two extra cards per turn is pretty big.
Avacyn's Memorial is a great callback to Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Akroma's Memorial. I don't think it is a particularly strong card - limiting it to only legendary permanents cuts it down a lot - but it is nice flavor.
Visions are meh, but they're interesting for more expensive commanders.

....I am concerned about the implications of mechanically unique cards in set boosters though - it makes it even more difficult to track what cards come from where. Also, as a person that primarily buys singles, I'm concerned about the availability of these cards.
We knew that mechanically unique cards were coming to set boosters though. Remember, future UB cards from secret lairs will be showing up in Set Boosters in the future, with MTG appropriate names if necessary.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”