Storvald who Shrinks

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

Storvald, Frost Giant Jarl

I haven't seen many decks utilizes Storvald's second trigger that shrinks creatures, I'm hoping to find more methods to utilize it. For example, using Tims like Prodigal Sorcerer.

Blue has a good number of Tims who could snipe the new 1/1s. Even without Storvald on board, there are equipments such as Basilisk Collar that grants deathtouch on demand (And white has equipment search on demand). Green also has enrage triggers such as Ripjaw Raptor and Ranging Raptors that could benefit from Tims, and blue has Willbreaker that takes control of larger creatures, Sigil of Sleep for bouncing, and Tandem Lookout to draw extra cards per tap. Outside of Tims, green's numerous Fight tools allows Storvald can turn opponents' creature small before tapping Ulvenwald Tracker for easy kill.

This is by no means competitive, I just find it unsatisfactory if we only uses 2/3 of Storvald's arsenal. It'd be interesting to utilize both his ability to pump Cephalid Constable and Viridian Joiner alongside his ability to shrink.

Starting a list over time:

Last edited by Cyberium 2 years ago, edited 9 times in total.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

You could also exploit his ability using cards that give -1/-1 to creatures, either via counters (Serrated Arrows) or via static abilities (Crovax, Ascendant Hero).

Signe
Hobby Shop Blues
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Signe » 2 years ago

Continuing the thought of static abilities, her name is Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite and she'd love to girlboss, gaslight, and gatekeep her way into some hearts!
Just getting set up, bear with me!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

I mean, you might as well abuse it offensively?
Use Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive and Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa as champs and tunnel shrunk Phage the Untouchable et al.
Would be hilarious.

Signe
Hobby Shop Blues
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Signe » 2 years ago

Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
I mean, you might as well abuse it offensively?
Use Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive and Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa as champs and tunnel shrunk Phage the Untouchable et al.
Would be hilarious.
I had thought of phade, but wasn't sure if they'd want to be using a different and 4-colored commander
Just getting set up, bear with me!

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
Storvald, Frost Giant Jarl

I haven't seen many decks utilizes Storvald's second trigger that shrinks creatures, I'm hoping to find more methods to utilize it. For example, using Tims like Prodigal Sorcerer.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Blue has a good number of Tims who could snipe the new 1/1s. Even without Storvald on board, there are equipments such as Basilisk Collar that grants deathtouch on demand (And white has equipment search on demand). Green also has enrage triggers such as Ripjaw Raptor and Ranging Raptors that could benefit from Tims, and blue has Willbreaker that takes control of larger creatures, Sigil of Sleep for bouncing, and Tandem Lookout to draw extra cards per tap. Outside of Tims, green's numerous Fight tools allows Storvald can turn opponents' creature small before tapping Ulvenwald Tracker for easy kill.

This is by no means competitive, I just find it unsatisfactory if we only uses 2/3 of Storvald's arsenal. It'd be interesting to utilize both his ability to pump Cephalid Constable and Viridian Joiner alongside his ability to shrink.
One of the things I have learned from my Nin Tim deck is that you need to keep your Tims relevant, if/when there isn't a likely or "shrunken" target. You've already mentioned some options (I use the Sigil in my UR build), but you might also sonsider other methods of "shrinking" such as Serendib Sorcerer. Also, other tap-as-cost effects like Azami and Galecaster Colossus give them other things they can accomplish.

Thousand-Year Elixir is also a great include where haste is hard to acquire - but has the same function for these types of tap abilities. This is also great if you are considering Ovinomancer, since he can "sheepify" something in response to his own ETB trigger - returning to hand so you never have to bounce the lands unless you want to to so.

Also, since Tims are generally not impressive, stat-wise, you should consider how to protect them on defense. Statecraft and Dissipation Field are good for this; especially the later - which helps Tims dodge sweepers.
Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
You could also exploit his ability using cards that give -1/-1 to creatures, either via counters (Serrated Arrows) or via static abilities (Crovax, Ascendant Hero).
This is another good option - wither effects (e.g. Blight Sickle) can "prep" opponent creatures for future shrinking.

If you have enough Wizards to merit the inclusion, you might consider Reflections of Littjara to double-down on the Tims.

Since you are in Bant, and you likely won't be attacking with everything, you may even consider some Exalted items - even if it is just Finest Hour - for the extra Storvald triggers.
V/R

Treamayne

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

Thank you all for the splendid suggestions!
Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
Or, the one card I should not have forgotten, Umezawa's Jitte! It literally one-shot a 1/1 and could be used by any creature on your side.
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
One of the things I have learned from my Nin Tim deck is that you need to keep your Tims relevant, if/when there isn't a likely or "shrunken" target. You've already mentioned some options (I use the Sigil in my UR build), but you might also sonsider other methods of "shrinking" such as Serendib Sorcerer. Also, other tap-as-cost effects like Azami and Galecaster Colossus give them other things they can accomplish.

Thousand-Year Elixir is also a great include where haste is hard to acquire - but has the same function for these types of tap abilities. This is also great if you are considering Ovinomancer, since he can "sheepify" something in response to his own ETB trigger - returning to hand so you never have to bounce the lands unless you want to to so.
Going wizard tribal with Patron Wizard would be an intriguing Storvald build, since tap/untap will also be utilized here!
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
This is another good option - wither effects (e.g. Blight Sickle) can "prep" opponent creatures for future shrinking.

If you have enough Wizards to merit the inclusion, you might consider Reflections of Littjara to double-down on the Tims.

Since you are in Bant, and you likely won't be attacking with everything, you may even consider some Exalted items - even if it is just Finest Hour - for the extra Storvald triggers.
Awesome. I will create a list base on functions after I organize these ideas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”