A very condensed version of the resent MTG presentation.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

First, the special sets:

Commander Legends 2 is confirmed, will take place in the Forgotten Realms. Specifically Baldur's Gate.

Double Masters 2 is happening. Double rares and double foils in each booster.

Unfinity is a go. New silver bordered set takes place on a traveling carnival that travels through space. Special features include full art basics and full art shock lands with space themed art. And yes, you did read that correctly: FULL ART SHOCK LANDS ARE CONFIRMED IN THE SET.

Commander Collection black is coming. In addition to Sol Ring and Command Tower with new art. It contains 6 black cards that are very popular in commander, including, but not limited to the "Sparking" Lily and Phyrexian Arena.

Jumpstart 2022 is coming, two of the themes are "Multi-headed" and "Eldrazi". Each booster contains one entirely brand spanking new card, the rest are reprints.

Universes Beyond: Warhammer 40k consists of four commander decks and a smattering of Secret Lairs.

Universes Beyond: LotR consists of a full size booster set plus four commander sets.

Universes Beyond: Fortnight is confirmed, but it only contains already existing cards but with new art.

Universes Beyond: Street Fighter as a secret lair. Chun-Li has multi-kicker (because it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Lol.)

And finally, what you've all been waiting for, the four premiere sets of 2022.

1st Quarter:

Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty is confirmed. It's cyberpunk with a uniquely MTG twist. It introduces a new planeswalker from the plane, and the Emperor is someone we already know. :thinking:

2nd Quarter:

Streets of New Capenna. MTG takes on the Gangster Genre in a city built by angels but ruled by demonic crime families. The plane has a connection to everybody's favorite white aligned planeswalker: Elspeth. Also, Ob Nixilis is in the set (he was on the art we were shown.)

3rd Quarter:

We're going back to Dominaria! Dominaria: United, with returning heroes and villains. :thinking:

And finally, what is likely going to be the most anticipated set of the year.

4th Quarter:

The Brothers War. Yeah, we are going to experience Urza vs. Mishra as if we where there, and not as an archaeological dig. Is it wrong that I hope we get a Gix card?

That's pretty much the short of it.

Read more here (and watch the video).
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Personally, I'm more hype for Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty than The Brothers War - I didn't start playing until long after the sets moved away from Dominaria, so I don't really feel any nostalgia for it. That said, should still be an interesting set.

Also, I'll call out that the LotR set will not be Standard-legal, but it will be legal in Modern and Historic. It's not designed to be as impactful as an actual Modern Horizons set though.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

I'm not wild about the Brothers War set. That story has already been told, I fear a retelling will only bring retcons and oversimplification, especially with the state of Creative these days.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Personally, I'm more hype for Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty than The Brothers War - I didn't start playing until long after the sets moved away from Dominaria, so I don't really feel any nostalgia for it. That said, should still be an interesting set.

Also, I'll call out that the LotR set will not be Standard-legal, but it will be legal in Modern and Historic. It's not designed to be as impactful as an actual Modern Horizons set though.
It was actually a bit of a surprise when they said that the LotR set would be modern legal, as originally we were told that they would only be legal in Vintage/Legacy and similar formats with access to all black border cards. It was a welcome surprise, but a surprise nevertheless.

Also, the Brothers War is the cause of nearly everything that has happened in MTG. Including the rise of the Phyrexian threat to the multiverse. The Thran at great cost sealed the Phyrexians (and Yawgmoth) away, until two quarreling brothers broke the seal and went to war. Without those two there would be no Mirrodin, no New Phyrexia. Ravnica would never have gotten blocked off from the rest of the multiverse trapping their dead, and so on. Like 70-80% of the multiverses problems can be tracked back to those two idiots. (And of the remainder, something like 15% was caused by Bolas, or Ugin/Nahiri/Sorin.)

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

That's a drag about Commander Legends 2. AFR was the first set in ages that I didn't care about, with stodgy and dated flavor being one of the main reasons, and now Commander Legends has to dip into that? Lame.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
That's a drag about Commander Legends 2. AFR was the first set in ages that I didn't care about, with stodgy and dated flavor being one of the main reasons, and now Commander Legends has to dip into that? Lame.
It has probably a lot to do with the full release of Baldur's Gate 3. And despite what some us thinks about AFR, it's been an incredibly well selling set. It's sold a lot better than Strixhaven (but it doesn't quite reach Kaldheim levels of popularity.)

As settings go, Baldur's Gate is not a bad one. Would rather have seen one base of Waterdeep if we *have* to go D&D, but that is only because Halaster comes from there and rules Undermountain. And. He. Is. Awesome.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

I am cautiously optimistic about Kamigawa Neon Dynasty, mostly because I loved the original ancient Japanese flavor of Kamigawa. Also the Emperor is Tezzeret. It's always Tezzeret.

The set I am most excited for is Streets of New Capenna. I love, love, love the Metropolis/1920's aesthetic and this looks right up my alley with Demons wearing pin striped suits.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 2 years ago

I hesitate a bit on the future themed stuff but I guess we'll see. It's just not how I imagine MtG but the art doesn't look too out of place from what they showed... soooo... I don't know.

I'm not excited for all the Universe Beyond stuff, especially since some of it will be Modern legal. Seems we're going through a weird transitional period with creative and what's okay to be legal where. I hate to be that guy but remember when box toppers were supposed to be weak and just neat cards then we got Nexus of Fate? I really hope we don't follow that same path with Universe Beyond.

Honestly, I think this entire video is just a big warning sign to me. I'm just going to navigate the next year with an abundance of caution. I don't think MtG will collapse, but I do think it has a chance of pushing outside my desire for game play. Which I feel is very unfortunate because I do really like this game.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Arkmer wrote:
2 years ago
I'm not excited for all the Universe Beyond stuff, especially since some of it will be Modern legal. Seems we're going through a weird transitional period with creative and what's okay to be legal where. I hate to be that guy but remember when box toppers were supposed to be weak and just neat cards then we got Nexus of Fate? I really hope we don't follow that same path with Universe Beyond.
They really underestimated just how powerful Nexus of Fate was going to be, and Maro has admitted it was a mistake to let it see print. The others were fine though, remember the Minotaur siblings?

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 2 years ago

well im excited for Kamigawa, though I did not see the neon coming. gonna be pretty weird seeing the orochi running the "bodega down the street". and goodbye samarai, just ronins maybe?

my speculation on the first artifact

drifter car 2
crew 1
tap: while tapping say scrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
3/1

one thing that I noticed is that, well like strixhaven, Capenna seems to be just a highlight of a plane and not the whole plain. I guess I was hoping they would explore the world that conspiracy is on more? anyway lots of city so get ready for a lot of art that looks like its supposed to be on other planes?

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Unfinity huh. Travelling circus in space? Looks like MaRos been stealing my custom cards again.

gilrad

Post by gilrad » 2 years ago

Wow, the banner for Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty is a real work of art.

First, the kanji in the title translates to "Shining World", which just sounds like something an elementary schooler came up with for their class motto.

Second, the font used isn't a Japanese font but a Chinese font, the kind of mistake often used by cheap Chinese knockoff products trying to make it look like a quality Japanese product.

The whole thing comes off as condensed weeb essence. I can't help but remember the controversy around the white male office culture that rose up around when they banned Invoke Prejudice et. al, and how they promised to work towards being more inclusive. I'm kind of excited to see what else comes from this set, in a sort of "watching a trainwreck" sort of way.
Attachments
DvfP0kSxSs.png

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

I think Kamigawa and Capenna look cool, but I also don't need more settings that are nothing but city. I will also say that for most of the past decade, returning to planes has had diminishing returns. We never stay gone long enough for me to miss them, but this is not the case for Kamigawa.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

Looking forward to brothers war and kamigawa's second chance

But this hypes me for brothers war

The part of
Brothers war, set in the past with Lots of magic characters people have been asking for.
A bunch of legends in the running who don't have cards this is what I can think of but tell me if I missed any

Ashnod, Mishra's Apprentice
Drafna of Lat-Na
Feldon, of the third path
Gix, Yawgmoth Praetor
Harbin
Hurkyl of Lat-Nam
Kayla bin-Kroog
Loran
Mishra, Argivian Artificer (Version 2)
Tocasia, Argivian Archeologist
Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice (version 2)
Urza, Lord High Artificer (version 2)
Last edited by CommanderMaster999 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

At first I wasn't impressed with where they were going with Kamigawa but now I'm getting excited for it. I started playing in original Mirrodin block so I have a lot of nostalgia for Kamigawa as I was still new to the game. I'm also excited to see what they do with Brothers' War

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”