Varina, Lich Queen - Esper Zombie Midrange

plaganegra
Jeff
Pronoun: he / him

Post by plaganegra » 2 years ago

yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
What do you all think of Shadow of the Grave as psuedo-draw with Varina's trigger/keeping important stuff? I say psuedo draw because it essentially doubles our cards in hand.
I think it is playable but probably pretty sub optimal in most varina decks I see here. It would be an all star in the right build, which I have yet to see to be honest.

I tried it initially and it was one of the first cuts I made. Id love to try it again though if I could find the right shell that supports this and the other cards that could go with it.

Which made me wonder if anyone has tried any dredge cards in a varina deck?
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
Also: Yawgmoth, Tinybones, Blim, Krenko, Kaalia, Chatterfang, Kodama-East, Kozilek, Morophon, U-Braids, Ashcoat, Preston, Sauron.
MTG since 2003

Tags:

demonicpic
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by demonicpic » 2 years ago

Eburon wrote:
2 years ago
Sidenote: I am trying to get my 14 yr old foster kid into Magic (He already likes D&D, so I'll take that). It is a great hobby and way to spend time with your kids.
The best way I've found to play with my son is for each of us to open six packs, build a deck (or two) and then play best of three matches. Loser of the match gets to open a pack. That takes some of the salt of the loss and allows someone to catch up if they had a bad start. It takes a while to do a match, and you'll go through a box just about the time the next set comes out.

demonicpic

plaganegra wrote:
2 years ago
Don't forget the king of combo enablers: phyrexian altar
Yes! After beginning my Zombie Queen obsession I started combing the internet for the saltiest Varina combo deck I could find, but still stayed true to her zombie tribal origin. I found this list with a primer, I think its got everything except Acererak and Approach of the Second Sun? Any other combos it's missing? I'm just mad for Varina combos...

demonicpic

It's mail day... Somehow I just couldn't bear the thought of going through life with a white-bordered Zombie Master in my Varina list...

plaganegra
Jeff

@demonicpic

DANG!!! bling bling!
And is that a Varina playmat too?

Everyone ahould show off their zombie bling haha. Would be fun. I have a few alters I can share if anyone wants to see
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
Also: Yawgmoth, Tinybones, Blim, Krenko, Kaalia, Chatterfang, Kodama-East, Kozilek, Morophon, U-Braids, Ashcoat, Preston, Sauron.
MTG since 2003

demonicpic

plaganegra wrote:
2 years ago
I have a few alters I can share if anyone wants to see
Hell yeah! Let's see 'em!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Eburon wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
One more thought, Altar of the Brood probably has combo application with Rooftop Storm too. Add Gravecrawler and a sac outlet maybe?
Why not just simplify it and run Altar of Dementia instead? It combines the wincon + sac outlet. Also, since it is a sac outlet, it has fringe application in response to opponent's removal (especially if it exiles).
Yeah Altar is very efficient. Being a free sac outlet and self contained win con is very good. I find I never have enough copies to run it where it ought to be run.

@plaganegra @demonicpic I wish I had sweet bling to share but my selection is pretty basic tbh. I've got a foil Grimgrin, Corpse-Born thats pretty tight and a retro etched foil Vile Entomber, that's about it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

plaganegra
Jeff

demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
plaganegra wrote:
2 years ago
I have a few alters I can share if anyone wants to see
Hell yeah! Let's see 'em!
All done by George Deep:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Last edited by plaganegra 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

demonicpic

Those look so cool!!! I'm jealous, I'd make everything full art if I could

plaganegra
Jeff

demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
Those look so cool!!! I'm jealous, I'd make everything full art if I could
Haha ty I have a bit of a zombie obsession if you havent noticed. Zombies are what got me into edh when it was still a small format when I played lord of tresserhorn and then thraximundar as my tribal generals lol. No real strategy to them at all lol

I got these altered because they arent available in foil and/or the art was not thematic with the deck at all which really bothered me. Mainly kindred discovery and herald's horn lol. Should have had zombies lol

I know this is very extra but I am not ashamed. Zombies are the reason I play magic ever since I stopped playing modern. Back when edh was still very young I decided I wanted foils and got them all for the deck. I remember buying an OG nm phyrexian altar foil for $20 and thinking it was expensive. I have been playing the tribe for a very long time lol
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

Falkenbach

Post by Falkenbach » 2 years ago

The zombie master and coffin queen alter look really amazing!

demonicpic

What's the dream-come-true zombie that could be spoiled with the new Innistrad set? Is there some glaring hole in the zombie tribal archetype that folks are waiting to get patched? I'm too new to have any ideas myself, but it would make spoilers more interesting if I knew what folks were really pumped about.

Falkenbach

Post by Falkenbach » 2 years ago

Snapcaster mage zombie where you have to pay life addintionally to cast the spell from graveyard.. that would be awesome but an acheomancer would be cool too :D
Aldo i fear it will mostly be vampires and werewolfs?

Eburon

Post by Eburon » 2 years ago

I heard a rumor that it will be mostly focused on those 2 tribes. That said, we will likely still see some zombies or possibly other useful spells.

Nimbaway

Post by Nimbaway » 2 years ago

I feel that it will be primarily vampires and humans, with some zombies and werewolves. While I do wish that the latter got some more support the fact that there will be no werewolf Commander precon makes me feel the tribe isn't going to be supported as much as those interested want it to be. It will probably be Ulrich all over again.

As far as what I wouldn't mind seeing are obviously the aforementioned zombified Snapcaster mage and zombified Archaeomancer. But also wouldn't mind another zombie that returns to hand from the graveyard on upkeep, preferably with an effect when discarded. Having on theme discard fodder would be nice.

demonicpic

Those are all great ideas! I thought one of the commander precon decks was going to have a zombie commander? Wasn't that spoiled?!

https://cardgamebase.com/midnight-hunt-commander-decks/

toctheyounger

demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
What's the dream-come-true zombie that could be spoiled with the new Innistrad set? Is there some glaring hole in the zombie tribal archetype that folks are waiting to get patched? I'm too new to have any ideas myself, but it would make spoilers more interesting if I knew what folks were really pumped about.
There's a couple of areas I'd like covered:

An efficient token maker, preferably on a creature.
An Archaeomancer variant or a Snapcaster Mage variant (i think the latter is unlikely and honestly I'd just settle for a reprint so I could pick one up cheaper)
Target reanimation on a creature, either for itself or other creatures - variants on Gravecrawler and Apprentice Necromancer.

The problem is all of this I'd like really close to the ground so the chances of anything really fitting the mold is relatively slim. But you never know. If any set fits the bill it will be here so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

plaganegra
Jeff

demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
Those are all great ideas! I thought one of the commander precon decks was going to have a zombie commander? Wasn't that spoiled?!

https://cardgamebase.com/midnight-hunt-commander-decks/
Well this is exciting.

Be ready for staple zombies etc to go up in value if the new commander is "pushed" in any way. Zombies are one of the most popular tribes in mtg history so if you need any zombies now is a good time to make sure you have them in your collection!

I would guess the deck is UB since that was the only color combo we saw in innistrad for zombies. Would love it if it was esper though, or even grixis.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

demonicpic

I can't recall there ever being a red zombies, Grixis would be sweet!

Somewhere on Reddit I saw a partial image of the box for the precon zombie deck, which showed a woman with a veil, and folks were debating if it was Ghoulcaller Gisa...

toctheyounger

At long last:

Another amalgamation of a couple months' worth of changes. To gloss over my thoughts on the changes briefly:

I'm sad to lose my pet card Mirrorweave, but at the same time I can recognise that it was as many times a game winner as it was a dead card in hand, so it makes sense to cut it and see if I miss it. Zombie cuts I feel ok about. Grimgrin, Corpse-Born is a weird one in that it's sacrifice ability is fine but gives me no immediate onboard advantage. God-Eternal Bontu is efficiently replaced in effect by Plumb the Forbidden, which at its barest impact leaves me with an intact board. Eldrazi Monument was a weird one to cut, although less of the time now combat is my win con. I can still hit the red zone with a degree of combat evasion, but indestructible is surplus to requirement - in fact, in response to a board wipe I'd prefer my creatures die to trigger bleed effects. Dance at the Manse I may miss, but I'm not too mad about the loss. Austere Command is incredibly versatile, but it always cost a lot to cast.

Addition wise, there's a few creatures trialling a slot here in Master of Death and Vile Entomber. I expect middling results, so the onus is on them to surprise me. I'm bringing Kindred Discovery back into the fold for trialling. Not having any security to recur it from the yard is a little concerning, considering its cost, but potentially the upside stands to be worth it. I've talked already a little about Ashnod's Altar and Animate Dead, and these are both attempts to manage my curve a touch. I've found color fixing to be fine of late, but colorless costs are a little tougher in some cases. I'm trialling Noosegraf Mob again, with acceptance of the fact that it is costly, but can double its power onboard in a turn cycle, and allow me to go a bit wider than I've been capable of. The synergy with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is undeniable and strong, so there's a chance it could be a very good add. Sevinne's Reclamation should be good, Akroma's Will sort of replaces Monument and gives me a little protection here and there, I'm hoping it's a good utliity add. And Twilight's Call joins the reanimation crew. It's quite expensive, so being here more for redundant effects is what brings it in. I'd tossed up whether or not to add Pyrrhic Revival instead, but I had this so it's what I decided to go with.

Now I need to get some actual gameplay in and see how things run!

WWolfe

Post by WWolfe » 2 years ago

demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
Lord of Tresserhorn and Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion, among others, would like a word with ya...

demonicpic

WWolfe wrote:
2 years ago
demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
Lord of Tresserhorn and Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion, among others, would like a word with ya...
Very cool, Tresserhorn is RL no? My lack of recollection is in no way a denial of their existence :)

WWolfe

Post by WWolfe » 2 years ago

demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
WWolfe wrote:
2 years ago
demonicpic wrote:
2 years ago
Very cool, Tresserhorn is RL no? My lack of recollection is in no way a denial of their existence :)
Yup, it is RL.

plaganegra
Jeff

Played Varina last night with zero luck

2 games. First game totally mana screwed, stuck on three lands by turn 7 and got put out of my misery. Second game was conpletely flooded abd didnt start to draw into zombies until around t6 and had my varina stolen.

No luck for zombies this week at all. But hey, thats variance!

Funny thing is in G1 I was being maliciously attacked by one player who remembered how dominant the deck was like a month ago. He hit me 4 times t2-5 with a 6/6 serra ascendant lol. Once he realized I was so far oht of the game he stopped, but dang what a crappy move.
Zombies ate my brains.
My Varina Decklist
Braids cEDH Decklist
MTG since 2003

toctheyounger

plaganegra wrote:
2 years ago
Played Varina last night with zero luck

2 games. First game totally mana screwed, stuck on three lands by turn 7 and got put out of my misery. Second game was conpletely flooded abd didnt start to draw into zombies until around t6 and had my varina stolen.

No luck for zombies this week at all. But hey, thats variance!

Funny thing is in G1 I was being maliciously attacked by one player who remembered how dominant the deck was like a month ago. He hit me 4 times t2-5 with a 6/6 serra ascendant lol. Once he realized I was so far oht of the game he stopped, but dang what a crappy move.
Game memory sucks. Interestingly i was watching the latest episode of I Hate Your Decline on YouTube over the weekend, and of all people the Prof held on to some salt from previous games and went right after one of the hosts. Lynch is a pretty good sport most of the time and they game super hard, but it still took me aback a little. If the prof gets salty I guess we all have a little leeway here and there.

I guess the other side of this is that its nice that your deck has some notoriety, even if thats a heavy load to bear!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”