NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Phyrexian Editor
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Karametra's Plow 2
Artifact — Equipment {R}
Equip 3
Equip druid 0
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has "1g, t: Put a cultivation token on target land. Whenever that land is tapped for mana, its controller adds an additional one mana of any color.

IIW: Socrates is a warlock

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Gunsickle 3
Artifact (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has first strike.
T, Tap equipped creature: Add one mana of any color.
2R, T, Tap equipped creature: Gunsickle deals 2 damage to target creature.
Equip 1

IIW: "roll a d20"

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

@Cythare judge?

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Well, this slowed down, so let's move on! Judging criteria:
1) Is this a thing a farmhand would use in daily life?
2) Is this a thing a farmhand would think to purchase or make (what is the likelihood they'd actually have it)?
3) Is it a suitable weapon?
4) How is it as a Magic card?
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Cattle Prod 1
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Prevent all damage dealt to the equipped creature from Ox and Minotaur creatures.
Whenever the equipped creature blocks or is blocked, it deals 1 damage to target creature blocking or blocked by the creature it is attached to.
Equipped creature gets +1/+0.
Equip 3
Equip Peasant

IIW: Disney Animated Canon (That means no Pixar).
This is a bit on the technology side for Magic, but I could see this appearing on Kaladesh, and would probably be something a Kaladeshi farmhand would use.

The language on this is a bit confusing, as it isn't quite Magic-speak, but I'm assuming that the second ability should be "Whenever equipped creature blocks or is blocked, Cattle Prod deals 1 damage to target creature blocking or blocked by it." (sort of like Ashmouth Hound but only one creature per blocking event)? Or is the creature supposed to be doing the damage? I think the language could be polished a little, and I'd probably put the "Equipped creature gets +1/+0" at the beginning, because otherwise it gets lost in the rest of the text. I like Equip Peasant, though.
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Swords on plowshares 4
Art: A plow with swords attached on the front, maybe some symbols of the Innistrad church.
Artifact - equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +3/+2 and has trample.
If equipped creature is a human, equipped creature has lifelink.
equip 4

IIW: Interesting things to do with sagas.
I like the throwback name and imagery, but I'm having trouble with this, as in order for a farmhand to wield it, the plow and swords would have to be very tiny. In order for it to give this boost, it is probably a full-sized plow, which a farmhand probably can't operate without livestock. That being said, the rate on this is very good, and a solid p/t boost, trample, and lifelink is big game. If this was a Vehicle that had an on-crew trigger like "Whenever one or more Humans crew Swords on Plowshares, it gains lifelink until end of turn.", I think I'd be all for it.
vishamon wrote:
3 years ago
Sturdy Hoe 3
Artifact (U)
: Untap target basic land.
: Sturdy Hoe becomes an Equipment with "Equipped creature gets +2/+2" until end of turn. You may attach it to a creature you control.

IIW: Graveyard mechanics.
This is definitely something that a farmhand would have around, and it is something that would be pretty plane-agnostic.

I don't really like tapping Equipment though, because players inadvertently tap any objects attached to creatures when they attack with them, and it's an activated ability on a permanent that will often be hidden. This falls off at end of turn, which sort of solves the issue, but is still playing in that space. I like the virtual discount on the "equip" ability with the tap ability, but it ends up leading to my complaints above. I also have concerns about the fact that you can pay 3 again to give it two instances of "Equipped creature gets +2/+2" or more depending on your mana while moving it from one creature to another, which makes it very difficult to interact with in combat.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Cow-tapult2R
Artifact (U)
When Cow-tapult enters the battlefeild create a 0/4 white Ox token.
T, Sacrifice a creature: Cow-tapult deals damage equal to the sacrificed creatures toughness to any target.
Jack turned in his cow for magic beans, Billy Jo turned his Cow into Weapons grade beef.

IIW: Lets fix theTarrasque
I'm not sure why Billy Jo has chosen to turn his livestock into munitions, but I am skeptical of it. I don't think this is a weapon I'd expect a farmhand to actually have around their property.

The card itself is fine. I think the rate on the token is maybe slightly above what I'd put on it, but it's within reason and it hits flavor better this way.
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Karametra's Plow 2
Artifact — Equipment {R}
Equip 3
Equip druid 0
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has "1g, t: Put a cultivation token on target land. Whenever that land is tapped for mana, its controller adds an additional one mana of any color.

IIW: Socrates is a warlock
Clearly this is only a tool that a farmhand on Theros would have, but that's fine. I'd expect plows blessed by Karametra to be far and few between, but they likely exist.

Some layout things aside (equip abilities go at the end), this is a lot to remember, but is fine overall. I'd expect this to change to "Put a cultivation counter on target land. It gains "Whenever this land is tapped for mana, its controller adds an additional one mana of any color." It just makes the ability more visible in digital (where as-written the counter would denote the effect, but the effect would otherwise be invisible until it became relevant). I like the flavor of Equip Druid being free, except that if you have multiple druids, the rate of adding cultivation counters quickly gets out of hand as adding counters starts to become mana-neutral. Put a cultivation counter on a land, then move the plow to another druid and the newly cultivated land pays for the entirety of the next cultivation. This is probably a lot more hoops than I need to be concerned about, but the worry is there.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Gunsickle 3
Artifact (U)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has first strike.
T, Tap equipped creature: Add one mana of any color.
2R, T, Tap equipped creature: Gunsickle deals 2 damage to target creature.
Equip 1

I feel like unless your farmhand is exactly Squall Leonhart, this is going to lead to more problems than a farmhand needs.

This has some similar issues to Sturdy Hoe where you can tap this for mana and then equip it to a new creature but have a tapped Gunsickle and an untapped creature, which I personally don't like. The rates on the abilities themselves are fine, though.

HM: I liked all of these to varying degrees, so you all get HMs for participating! I know that's a copout, but it's my judgment.
Winner: chetoos
Next: Interesting things to do with sagas.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
This is a bit on the technology side for Magic, but I could see this appearing on Kaladesh, and would probably be something a Kaladeshi farmhand would use.

The language on this is a bit confusing, as it isn't quite Magic-speak, but I'm assuming that the second ability should be "Whenever equipped creature blocks or is blocked, Cattle Prod deals 1 damage to target creature blocking or blocked by it." (sort of like Ashmouth Hound but only one creature per blocking event)? Or is the creature supposed to be doing the damage? I think the language could be polished a little, and I'd probably put the "Equipped creature gets +1/+0" at the beginning, because otherwise it gets lost in the rest of the text. I like Equip Peasant, though.
Creature is dealing the damage, but the other way could work. I was thinking something similar to Scalding Salamander when I created the card.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Neverending Story
Enchantment (U)
If you would sacrifice a Saga, instead exile it, then return it to the battlefield under your control.
"Not right now"
"Yes, now, Dusty Bun"

IIW: graveyard mechanics

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

"Wait I wasn't listening, what was that?" 2R
Instant
Remove a lore counter from target Saga you control, then put a lore counter on it.
Draw a card.

IIW: Alter egos from alternate universes/timelines

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Unfinished Work 1B
Instant (U)
Target opponent sacrifices an enchantment. If it was a Saga, that player discards a card.
I swore a saw a man with a knife in the garden two nights ago. I think someone might be stalking me. If it wasn't for all this blasted rain I'd go take a loo - June 10th, 1664 Bishop Cawle of Elgaud's Last Diary Entry

IIW: Cards that deal with Artifacts and the Library
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Gunsickle 3
I feel like unless your farmhand is exactly Squall Leonhart, this is going to lead to more problems than a farmhand needs.
Okay, I admit, you two got me there. :grin: This is a great mental image.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Burning of the Great Library 2RW
Enchantment - Saga (M)
I: Search your library for a Saga, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
II: Put up to two Sagas from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield.
III: Sacrifice all enchantments you control.

Urza's Saga (Not the Modern Horizons 2 one) WUBRG
Enchantment - Saga (M)
I: Head to AskUrza.com and click +1.
II: Head to AskUrza.com and click -1.
III: Head to AskUrza.com and click -6.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Retell the Story 1W
Instant (U)
Remove all lore counters from all Sagas.
"I see we have some new listeners today. So let's start with an old favorite." - Tamiyo, Storyteller.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

chetoos

Updating my challenge to be: "(Interesting things to do with sagas), OR Enchantment - class"
(Bonus points if you do psionic classes)

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Eidolon of Fury RR
Enchantment Creature — Spirit Saga (R)
I - Creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain haste until end of turn.
II - Creatures you control gain menace until end of turn.
III - Until end of turn, creatures you control gain "When this creature dies, it deals damage equal to its power to any target."
2/1

IIW: Things to do on the Aradara Express, or other downtime activities on Kaladesh
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Decline and Fall of Vodalia u
Enchantment — Saga {R}
Remove a lore counter: Add uu.
Remove three lore counters: Draw three cards.
I, II, III: Sacrifice a land. If you can't, sacrifice an artifact or enchantment.
"Through attack and counterattack, momentum shifted often in the Homarid invasion of Vodalia. But the changing climate put a final end to the merfolk kingdom." -Sarpadian Empires, vol. V

IIW: More Sarpadian Empires flavor text
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Alchemist Class
ug
Enchantment - Class (R)
When Alchemist Class enters the battlefield, you draw a card and you may put a land card from your hand create a Treasure token.
ug: Level 2
When this Class becomes Level 2, create a 2/1 blue Homunculus creature token with hexproof..
3ug: Level 3
Creature spells you control can't be countered.
Creatures you control have hexproof.

IIW: Ice Cream
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

NinjaCaterpie

Psion Class
Enchantment - Class (UtR)
Whenever you play a Class Spell from another Class, draw a card.
2: You can activate Pokemon abilities using one less Colorless Energy.
3: When this Class becomes level 3, search your deck for a Synchro or XYZ and attach it to a monster you control.

because psions are abominations that don't belong in D&D.

IIW: "roll a d20" or a Class

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Tome of Battle 4
Artifact (U)
When Tome of Battle enters the battlefield, search your library for a Class card, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
4, T, Sacrifice Tome of Battle: Level up target Class you control.

chetoos

Judge time! I honestly wish that I'd got to know that classes were a thing before this, because I'd have just tossed aside the saga thing, but here we go!
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Neverending Story
Enchantment (U)
If you would sacrifice a Saga, instead exile it, then return it to the battlefield under your control.
"Not right now"
"Yes, now, Dusty Bun"

IIW: graveyard mechanics
This is super powerful, honestly more powerful than I think you were intending. Probably better to exile and give an option to cast again for maybe an increased cost? Just think about getting Binding the Old Gods or Elspeth Conquers Death repeatedly, for free.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
"Wait I wasn't listening, what was that?" 2R
Instant
Remove a lore counter from target Saga you control, then put a lore counter on it.
Draw a card.

Now this is exactly what I'm looking for in this challenge, something that lets you repeat chapter abilities of sagas. You can do it again after casting a saga to get the first chapter again, or even do it in response to the final chapter to get 2 things back with Elspeth Conquers Death. I already hate that jeskai deck, it's great.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Unfinished Work 1B
Instant (U)
Target opponent sacrifices an enchantment. If it was a Saga, that player discards a card.
I swore a saw a man with a knife in the garden two nights ago. I think someone might be stalking me. If it wasn't for all this blasted rain I'd go take a loo - June 10th, 1664 Bishop Cawle of Elgaud's Last Diary Entry

IIW: Cards that deal with Artifacts and the Library
Excellent flavor here, good edict effect with a downside for leaving a saga unfinished. I like it.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Burning of the Great Library 2RW
Enchantment - Saga (M)
I: Search your library for a Saga, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
II: Put up to two Sagas from your hand or graveyard onto the battlefield.
III: Sacrifice all enchantments you control.

Urza's Saga (Not the Modern Horizons 2 one) WUBRG
Enchantment - Saga (M)
I: Head to AskUrza.com and click +1.
II: Head to AskUrza.com and click -1.
III: Head to AskUrza.com and click -6.

The first one is very interesting, and one that you want to try to stop before the third chapter, or else get sagas where only the first two chapters are relevant, and the second one is great for an unset, I love the multireference there.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Retell the Story 1W
Instant (U)
Remove all lore counters from all Sagas.
"I see we have some new listeners today. So let's start with an old favorite." - Tamiyo, Storyteller.

This one is very strong, and should probably be more mana, or at least be sorcery speed. Imagine I'm responding to my last Elspeth Conquers Death trigger with this, while I also have... IDK... Elspeth's Nightmare on chapter 2. You'd just scoop from the obscene value.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Eidolon of Fury RR
Enchantment Creature — Spirit Saga (R)
I - Creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain haste until end of turn.
II - Creatures you control gain menace until end of turn.
III - Until end of turn, creatures you control gain "When this creature dies, it deals damage equal to its power to any target."
2/1

IIW: Things to do on the Aradara Express, or other downtime activities on Kaladesh
This is a great card, another exactly what I'm looking for. I really like this as an aggressive creature, really cool.
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
2 years ago
Decline and Fall of Vodalia u
Enchantment — Saga {R}
Remove a lore counter: Add uu.
Remove three lore counters: Draw three cards.
I, II, III: Sacrifice a land. If you can't, sacrifice an artifact or enchantment.
"Through attack and counterattack, momentum shifted often in the Homarid invasion of Vodalia. But the changing climate put a final end to the merfolk kingdom." -Sarpadian Empires, vol. V

IIW: More Sarpadian Empires flavor text
Not only is this card super flavorful, it's also an interesting drawback to build a deck around.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Alchemist Class
ug
Enchantment - Class (R)
When Alchemist Class enters the battlefield, you draw a card and you may put a land card from your hand create a Treasure token.
ug: Level 2
When this Class becomes Level 2, create a 2/1 blue Homunculus creature token with hexproof..
3ug: Level 3
Creature spells you control can't be countered.
Creatures you control have hexproof.

IIW: Ice Cream
While I like the class and everything in it, unconditional hexproof still feels too good. Ward X or conditional hexproof would have me declare you the winner right now.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Psion Class
Enchantment - Class (UtR)
Whenever you play a Class Spell from another Class, draw a card.
2: You can activate Pokemon abilities using one less Colorless Energy.
3: When this Class becomes level 3, search your deck for a Synchro or XYZ and attach it to a monster you control.

because psions are abominations that don't belong in D&D.

IIW: "roll a d20" or a Class
I gotta respect the hustle, even if wotc disagrees. Still, this card is DQed
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Tome of Battle 4
Artifact (U)
When Tome of Battle enters the battlefield, search your library for a Class card, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
4, T, Sacrifice Tome of Battle: Level up target Class you control.

I like this as a way to enable classes, but it's not what I asked for, sorry.

Winner: Cythare
next: Things to do on the Aradara Express, or other downtime activities on Kaladesh

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

oops i misread that as "interesting things to do with enchantment — class"

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Read a Short Story W
Instant (U)
Search your library for an Enchantment - Saga card and reveal it. Shuffle your library then put the revealed card back on top.

Cook a Nice Meal G
Sorcery (C)
Create a food token.

chetoos

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
oops i misread that as "interesting things to do with enchantment — class"
That's what the parens were for, trying to separate the two clauses.

Murder on the Aradara Express 1GB
Enchantment - Saga
1: Put a deathtouch counter on target creature you control. (Willingness to kill)
2: Until end of turn, creature spells you cast cost 2 less. (Cars are loaded)
3: Until your next turn, players can't cast creature spells (Room is locked)
4: Each creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control. (Spoilers for a 80+ year old book, I guess)

IIW: Turn a story from the real world into a saga in mtg (You must translate it to MTG as best as you can, no fair just putting Iron Man 3 as a saga)
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

pack it up; time for the next challenge
MEG

NinjaCaterpie

Derail 2BR
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast Derail, sacrifice a land.
Destroy up to one target creature, up to one target artifact, and up to one target land.

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Yahenni's Party WUBRG
Legendary Enchantment (R)
When Yahenni's Party enters the battlefield, search your library for a planeswalker card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
WUBRG: You may play target Planeswalker card from your graveyard without paying its mana cost.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control a Chandra, Nissa, Liliana, Jace, and Gideon planeswalker, you win the game.

IIW: Graveyard mechanics.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Aetherborn Barista u
Creature — Aetherborn Artificer {U}
Tap an untapped artifact you control, and either —
t: Add e.
Or exert Aetherborn Barista: Add ee.
"Life is short. Don't sleep through it."
1/1

Iiw: More Sarpardian Empires cards
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”