[KHM] Maro's Kaldheim Teaser

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Teaser
Before the Kaldheim full previews officially begin, I thought I'd have some fun with another Maro teaser where I give you tiny hints of things to come. As always, be aware that I'm only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect to see in Kaldheim:
• a five-color legendary enchantment
• 2{B} for a 6/6 with deathtouch
• a card that allows you to kill someone with poison
• A card with a {W}{W}{U}{U}{B}{B}{R}{R}{G}{G},{T} activation
• a card that lets you use a creature's toughness to perform an action normally using a creature's power
• numerous new noncreature tokens
• a card that can make a token that's a copy of target permanent for no mana
• a black creature that can copy other creatures
• the introduction of a creature type that players have been wanting for years
• a card with three activation costs, one that's only ever used once before and the other two have never been used before

Here are some snippets of rules text you'll see:
• "protection from God creatures"
• "Sacrifice five Treasures:"
• "if three or more creatures died this turn"
• "Choose 1, 2, or 3 at random."
• "except for Giants, Wizards, and lands"
• "you may search your library and/or graveyard for a Rune card"
• "As long as you control three or more legendary creatures"
• "X is the number of Vehicles you control plus the number of Equipment you control"
• "As long as you have at least 7 life more than your starting life total"
• "create X of those tokens instead"

And finally, here are some creature type lines you'll see:
• Angel Warrior
• Zombie Rogue
• Dwarf Cleric
• Horse Spirit
• Vampire Dragon
• Legendary Creature – Wolf
• Legendary Creature – Bird Spirit
• Legendary Creature – Giant Wizard
• Legendary Creature – Demon Berserker
• Legendary Creature – Squirrel

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

No time to go over these individually right now but the "action normally done with power" - this has gotta be fight, right?

Also "kill someone with poison" doesn't mean with poison counters. I think this could be an Equipment flavored as a poisoned dagger that grants "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player loses the game" or something.

Wonder if Rune is an artifact subtype or an enchantment subtype?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
No time to go over these individually right now but the "action normally done with power" - this has gotta be fight, right?

Also "kill someone with poison" doesn't mean with poison counters. I think this could be an Equipment flavored as a poisoned dagger that grants "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player loses the game" or something.

Wonder if Rune is an artifact subtype or an enchantment subtype?
For the "kill someone with poison", I'm guessing it's more likely that it does something proliferate like, and that can theoretically kill a player that already has poison counters.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Oh, hm. Given the set's apparent Vehicle subtheme, my guess was it was crewing.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

• 2{B} for a 6/6 with deathtouch
I wonder what sort of drawback this thing will have?

they already gave us rotting regisaur.. so hopefully, this new creature would be usable like the dino.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
For the "kill someone with poison", I'm guessing it's more likely that it does something proliferate like, and that can theoretically kill a player that already has poison counters.
The wording is such though that it might have nothing to do with the poison mechanic, and could be something like a spell that represents something like Balder being killed with mistletoe in the for of a spell that perhaps does something innocent against any other target, but is a kill spell against a very specific legendary creature that is a Balder expy. Or it could be a type of poison (but not poison counters) lore wise that might be represented in the form of something like tainted remedy, turning healing to damage, or perhaps causing a creature with lifelink to die when it uses lifelink, or being like some of the vial of poison card and give something you have deathtouch.

I do hope it's a proliferate-like thing though.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

Not sure if this is quite the right place for this, but it's the only Kaldheim thread so did anyone else notice that the MDFC section on the mothership spoilers is labeled "Meld"?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

That seems like a typo; it looks like the rest of the duals and the God cycle are the extent of the DFC variants, and meld and modal DFCs are unrelated things connected only by the double-facedness.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

AvalonAurora wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
The wording is such though that it might have nothing to do with the poison mechanic, and could be something like a spell that represents something like Balder being killed with mistletoe in the for of a spell that perhaps does something innocent against any other target, but is a kill spell against a very specific legendary creature that is a Balder expy. Or it could be a type of poison (but not poison counters) lore wise that might be represented in the form of something like tainted remedy, turning healing to damage, or perhaps causing a creature with lifelink to die when it uses lifelink, or being like some of the vial of poison card and give something you have deathtouch.

I do hope it's a proliferate-like thing though.
Just in case you hadn't caught it, Maro clarified on tumblr that "kill someone with poison" specifically means poison counters:

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

I was getting excited about "Choose 1, 2, or 3 at random," because it might be a wacky modal spell.

But then I realized it's probably a burn spell or red draw (i.e. discard 1, then draw 1, 2, or 3), which is admittedly also interesting if it's cheap enough.

The hint that mystifies me the most is "a creature type that players have been wanting for years."

For years? What creature type could it be? I'm skimming through Norse mythology, and no fantasy creature type jumps out at me.

Something more mundane? Beaver? Giraffe? Hawk/falcon/eagle? Snail?

EDIT: Wait, Manta/Sting Ray? Seal/sea lion?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

I got 3 routes the poison counters can go in my opinion

1. Binding of Loki (his punishment for betraying the gods was chained up under a snake dripping venom thus a poison counter each upkeep)
2. The mistletoe darts (but maybe for "creatures lose indestructible til end of turn)
3.[which is probably the most likely) Jörmungandr (aka the cosmo snake) had mega poisonous venom that killed Thor on their final battle

DrFunkenstein

Post by DrFunkenstein » 3 years ago

Promise you, I am not trolling here. Find it funny (peculiar, not "ha ha") that Nexus was the "new" site, leaving Salvation in the dust... YET, the up to date previews are still at Salvation. No one has posted anything new here.

And then the "finance"/"market place" for both is a joke w/ no one posting in either.

Did 2020 scare the Bah Humbug into everyone? Was there even a card alter card exchange? I was totally expecting Nexus to have the same previews as Salvation, but this site is even more dead.

Boy, this is even worse than a 1 year subscription to the Jelly of the Month Club... If I were to wake up tomorrow sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be as surprised as I am now for the lack of Kaldheim enthusiasm.
Warning for trolling - cryo

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
the phyrexians are coming, the phyrexians are coming! brace yourselfs!
also, this set looks so cool!
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
pretty sure th new type is phyrexians
Last edited by dangerousdice 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 3 years ago

dangerousdice wrote:
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This is unconfirmed as of right now due to the card in question being a leak and not officially revealed. I recommend editing your post to include a spoiler tag
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
dangerousdice wrote:
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This is unconfirmed as of right now due to the card in question being a leak and not officially revealed. I recommend editing your post to include a spoiler tag
Now it's confirmed

And to really kick it up a notch he has a phyrexian language alt text version and the legendary border is a hair different for phyrexian legends

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Now it's confirmed

And to really kick it up a notch he has a phyrexian language alt text version and the legendary border is a hair different for phyrexian legends
And I am not happy about it. We finally get the Viking world we have been craving since Ice Age was released, and WotC goes and FUBARs it, even before releasing the set. There is no logical reason for the Phyrexians of New Phyrexia to be there. The whole point was that they lacked portal tech. And even with help from Tezz, they shouldn't be able to go there as the Planar Bridge renders inert anything animate that goes through it unless it is covered in Lazotep, which was even a plot point for the Bolas saga. And I do not see said Phyrexian being covered in blue on his art. Do you?
But, I will just have to hope that WotC provides a decent enough reason to why they have done this, and take solace in the fact that the New Phyrexians are considerably weaker than the Phyrexians of old, and that Kaldheim is not a world made of metal, thus making it considerably harder for them to conquer.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

dyd
Randomancer

Post by dyd » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Kaldheim is not a world made of metal, thus making it considerably harder for them to conquer.
Yet, one could argue that Kaldheim is the most metal plane ever visited :rimshot:

Jokes aside, I am curious to see what will happen with Phyrexian, but I feel that Kaldheim is way overstuffed with themes and mechanics, both new and old: foretell, boast, sagas, a dozen of tribes, changelings, gods, MDFCs, phyrexians, snow, runes, vehicles and equipments and auras ...... just throw in a transforming werewolf with mutate and we have covered half the history of magic.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

dyd wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Kaldheim is not a world made of metal, thus making it considerably harder for them to conquer.
Yet, one could argue that Kaldheim is the most metal plane ever visited :rimshot:

Jokes aside, I am curious to see what will happen with Phyrexian, but I feel that Kaldheim is way overstuffed with themes and mechanics, both new and old: foretell, boast, sagas, a dozen of tribes, changelings, gods, MDFCs, phyrexians, snow, runes, vehicles and equipments and auras ...... just throw in a transforming werewolf with mutate and we have covered half the history of magic.
Oh, Kaldheim is metal as heck, but it isn't *made* of metal. :P

Seriously though, anyone else notice during the presentation about the world building in the stream, it was mentioned that there are *many* worlds in Kaldheim connected through the world tree, but the set focuses on "only" ten of them. Yes, that means that there are more than ten worlds in the Plane of Kaldheim. Compare to Theros that contains three (Base Theros, Nyx, and the Underworld).

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

dyd
Randomancer

Post by dyd » 3 years ago

:thinking: maybe the World Tree is actually a giant Christmas tree, and each world is just a ball hung on the tree.
In this scenario, Vorinclex is the grinch, and Tibalt is... Jack Skellington?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

dyd wrote:
3 years ago
:thinking: maybe the World Tree is actually a giant Christmas tree, and each world is just a ball hung on the tree.
In this scenario, Vorinclex is the grinch, and Tibalt is... Jack Skellington?
No, Jack Skellington was actually good. Tibalt would be Krampus.

Edit: Or Oogie Boogie.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Just read the first chapter of the story and...
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Looks like New Phyrexia is about to crash into Kaldheim in an event that the natives of Kaldheim call a Doomskar. (Equivalent to Ragnarok in Norse mythology.)

Kaya definitely fought Vorinclex in a cave, and with her allies, including Alrund, was getting the upper hand until Vorinclex ran. The portal appears to be a weakening of the planar barriers and not crafted, there was mycosynth marking it. Kaya instinctively told her allies not to touch it, so apparently planeswalkers can sense that mycosynth is dangerous, but she has no knowledge of Phyrexia or Phyrexians. She is however confident that she can kill Vorinclex.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”