Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Time for judgements!
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Iced Over Lake
Snow land (U)
Icy Lake enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add U.
When a non-flying creature with power 4 or greater attacks you or a planeswalker you control, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

IIW: Funky lands.
And this is the first of many defensive triggers on attacks. This is just too strong. It triggers on any big enough creature, and just for one land. Too much. Maybe if you could tap it to keep a 4 power or greater attacker down, it would be better, but this just hoses too much at once.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Stampeding Aurochs 2G
Creature — Aurochs {U}
Trample
Whenever Stampeding Aurochs attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking Aurochs.
Whenever Stampeding Aurochs attacks, attacking creatures get +1/+0 and gain trample until end of turn.
2/3

IIW: death in the family
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I split this into two abilities for Reference reasons. This could easily be combined into one ability.
This is more what I was thinking of. I like the combination of the Aurochs ability as well as the trample battle cry added on. Maybe the second ability should say other, and the first ability should include itself? Just to make it a little cleaner.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Lintf, Master of Coin 1W
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor (R)
Vigilance
Whenever a creature you don't control attacks, you may have that creatures owner create a gold tokens. If you do, they remove that creature from combat.
1/3

IIW: D&D monsters
Like the previous defensive attack trigger card, this one is too strong. It just shuts down all attackers, and while yes, it does give your opponent mana, an aggro deck does run out of cards eventually.
3 years ago
Prismatic Sentinel 2
Artifact (R)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Whenever a creture attacks you, untap ~. It becomes a 2/4 Gargoyle creature with flying and must block this turn if able.

IIW: a static, an activated and a triggered ability
If it is meant to stay as 1 mana of any color, it should cost 3, that's the baseline for this kind of ability. I know it enters tapped, but it's still a little fast at 2 mana.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Stoneforge Maniac 2R
Creature — Kor Berserker (R)
Haste
Whenever Stoneforge Maniac attacks, you may cast an Equipment card from your hand without paying its mana cost. If you do, when that Equipment enters the battlefield, attach it to Stoneforge Maniac.
2/1

IIW: A mortician's assistant
And here we have an offensive attack trigger that's way too powerful. Hmm, should I cast my Batterskull, my Argentum Armor, or my Elbrus, the Binding Blade // Withengar Unbound for 3 mana?
Togs wrote:
3 years ago
Eratication 1BB
Enchantment (R)
When Eratication enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 black Rat creature tokens.
Whenever a Rat you control attacks, create a 1/1 black Rat creature token that's tapped and attacking.

IIW: [url=<a class="vglnk" href="https://benedictcumberbatchgenerator.tumblr.com/]Benedict" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>benedictcumberbatchgenerator</span><span>.</span><span>tumblr</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/]</span><span>Benedict</span></a> Customcards[/url]
If this were a pun contest, you'd win hands down. As it stands, the attack trigger is once again way too strong. Doubling your rats, and they're attacking? What happens when you have 2 on the field... or you're playing a Mirrormade deck? This is too much. Maybe one additional rat whenever you attack with any number of rats?
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Quodde, Arcane Theorist 1UU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard {R}
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may exile a card from your hand face down. If you do, you get an experience counter.
Whenever Quodde attacks, you may reveal a card you exiled with cards named Quodde, Arcane Theorist. If it's an instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost less than the number of experience counters you have, you may cast that card without paying its mana cost. Otherwise, put it into your hand.
"Allow me to demonstrate."
2/3

IIW: something that caters to me and my personal taste
Now this is an interesting attack trigger, with lots of play patterns. I like this design.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Landslide Flourish 2GG
Enchantment (R)
When Landslide Flourish enters the battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on target noncreature land you control. Untap it. It becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste that's still a land.
Whenever a land you control attacks, you may search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.

IIW: Other animated Food made in the same kitchen as Gingerbrute
Another great card, another great attack trigger, but keep it the %$#% away from Nissa, Who Shakes the World
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Precinct Six Headquarters -- 3
Artifact - Fortification
Whenever you are attacked by one or more creatures, if fortified land is untapped, create a 1/1 white Creature - Soldier token.
Fortified land has ": Add 3 if you were attacked by one or more creatures this turn."
Fortify 3
IIW: December 20, 2020
I don't see why this can't be an aura, but the effect is solid, well priced, and I like that you can use extra mana only if you were attacked. I think you just wanted to use the fortification subtype, and I can't fault you for that.

Winner: @Megiddo for Stampeding Aurochs.

Next: Death in the Family.

Wallycaine
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Sadistic Choice 2BB
Instant
Choose a creature target player controls. That player may sacrifice that creature. If they do, they lose 4 life and you gain 4 life. Otherwise, destroy all other creatures they control and you draw 2 cards.
"So who will you save, Hero?"

IIW: Eldritch Humor

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

1-900-KIL-JTOD 1b
Sorcery
Choose target creature, then, starting with you, each player votes for death or life. If Death gets more votes, Destroy that creature. If Life gets more votes, or if the vote is tied, tap that creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
2 or Discard a card: Vote for Death or Life. Any player may activate this ability, unless they control this spell or the creature this spell is targeting, and only if this spell is on the stack.

IIW: The Seven Deadly Sins.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Stampeding Aurochs 2G
Creature — Aurochs {U}
Trample
Whenever Stampeding Aurochs attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking Aurochs.
Whenever Stampeding Aurochs attacks, attacking creatures get +1/+0 and gain trample until end of turn.
2/3

IIW: death in the family
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I split this into two abilities for Reference reasons. This could easily be combined into one ability.
This is more what I was thinking of. I like the combination of the Aurochs ability as well as the trample battle cry added on. Maybe the second ability should say other, and the first ability should include itself? Just to make it a little cleaner.
You're right on the templating, good callout. As noted in my spoiler I separated these for "reference" reasons, which were that I wanted to preserve the exact rules text of both Stampede and Aurochs.
MEG

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Death in the Family ... the Batman graphic novel? The autobiographical by James Agee? General death in general families?
Cut Off the Branch and the Limb Dies* -- 2B
Sorcery {U}
Destroy target creature. If it's a token that was created by an ability of a permanent, destroy that permanent.
If two or more permanents are destroyed this way, draw a card.

* A nod to the fact that Magic names are getting longer, because nearly all the one-word names have been used, resulting in the inevitable inevitability that in twenty-eleven years we're going to have full paragraphs for card names

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Day of Mourning 2W
Instant (R)
Cast this spell only if a creature you control died this turn.
During each player's next turn, creatures they control can't attack, and creatures they control enter the battlefield tapped.
Draw a card.

IIW: Elephants

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

The Fall of House Eustenhal BW
Enchantment- Saga (R)
I-III: Create a 1/1 white human token and gain 2 life.
IV-VI: Sacrifice a creature, lose 1 life, and draw a card.

IIW: The IIW from the last card you posted. (Choose any recent IIW if you're new).

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Fratricide 2bb
Sorcery (U)
This spell costs 2b less to cast if targets a creature that shares a type with a creature you control.
Destroy target creature.

IIW: Goblins that like Elves or vice versa.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Post by avatarz » 3 years ago

chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Prismatic Sentinel 2
Artifact (R)
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Whenever a creture attacks you, untap ~. It becomes a 2/4 Gargoyle creature with flying and must block this turn if able.

IIW: a static, an activated and a triggered ability
If it is meant to stay as 1 mana of any color, it should cost 3, that's the baseline for this kind of ability. I know it enters tapped, but it's still a little fast at 2 mana.
This mana rock has a drawback, that's why it costs 1 less than others. Probably should have been a 2/3 as original meant to, though.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Inheritance of the Handscombs 3BR
Enchantment - Saga (R)
I - Target opponent sacrifices a creature.
II - Target creature an opponent controls fights another target creature that player controls.
III - Create two Gold tokens.

IIW: trains, artillery, or train artillery

Post by avatarz » 3 years ago

Candlelight Mourning 1WG
Enchantment (R)
When you control no creatures, sacrifice ~. If you do, draw a card.
Whenever one or more creatures you control die for the first time in a turn, you may search your library for a creature card that shares a creature type with any of those creatures and put it in your hand. Then shuffle your library.

IIW: a static, a triggered and an activated ability

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

Executor of Wills 1WWBB
Creature - Spirit Advisor
Flying
Whenever a creature you control dies, each other player sacrifices a creature. Put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
2, , Sacrifice a creature you control: Draw a card. You gain 3 life.
"It's never about the money. The bloodlust pays for itself."
2/4

Unknown Visitors 2BBB
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control dies, put a mourner counter on Unknown Visitors.
Morbid — At the beginning of each end step, if a creature died this turn, create a 2/2 colorless Shapeshifter creature token with changeling for each loss counter on Unknown Visitors.
They appeared for the forgotten and the well-remembered all the same, as if they personally knew who was being buried.

IIW: MLD that can only be used to end the game

Megiddo
MEG

i'll judge during eagles game today, so you have a few more hours to enter.
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Sadistic Choice 2BB
Instant
Choose a creature target player controls. That player may sacrifice that creature. If they do, they lose 4 life and you gain 4 life. Otherwise, destroy all other creatures they control and you draw 2 cards.
"So who will you save, Hero?"

IIW: Eldritch Humor
I love the flavor here. It's remarkably cruel. The flavor text spells out what's happening here, though even so I get some Sophian vibes from the choice. If I understand how this templating works... your base case here is that you can spend 2BB to draw two cards if the opponent does not control any creatures. Seems alright as essentially a punisher card.
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
1-900-KIL-JTOD 1b
Sorcery
Choose target creature, then, starting with you, each player votes for death or life. If Death gets more votes, Destroy that creature. If Life gets more votes, or if the vote is tied, tap that creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
2 or Discard a card: Vote for Death or Life. Any player may activate this ability, unless they control this spell or the creature this spell is targeting, and only if this spell is on the stack.

IIW: The Seven Deadly Sins.
I love the ability to influence voting through spending mana while the card is on the stack. That's something unique that could led to some fun gameplay. This does seem like a lot of work for a card that, at best, is Murder.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Death in the Family ... the Batman graphic novel? The autobiographical by James Agee? General death in general families?
Cut Off the Branch and the Limb Dies* -- 2B
Sorcery {U}
Destroy target creature. If it's a token that was created by an ability of a permanent, destroy that permanent.
If two or more permanents are destroyed this way, draw a card.

* A nod to the fact that Magic names are getting longer, because nearly all the one-word names have been used, resulting in the inevitable inevitability that in twenty-eleven years we're going to have full paragraphs for card names
How did you know I would judge today??? weird.
I love the name; I was definitely a Kamigawa fan, lol. Evocative names are very fun to me. This seems like an interesting extension of Teferi's Response, though the memory issues here are a barrier. Good take on the challenge, too.
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Day of Mourning 2W
Instant (R)
Cast this spell only if a creature you control died this turn.
During each player's next turn, creatures they control can't attack, and creatures they control enter the battlefield tapped.
Draw a card.

I love this take on the challenge. At least so far, this is the only card that looks at the aftermath of said death rather than the death itself. This card is quite situational and therefore feels overcosted to me, especially since it also blanks your next turn as well.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
The Fall of House Eustenhal BW
Enchantment- Saga (R)
I-III: Create a 1/1 white human token and gain 2 life.
IV-VI: Sacrifice a creature, lose 1 life, and draw a card.

IIW: The IIW from the last card you posted. (Choose any recent IIW if you're new).
I love that you made a saga for this. The story is pretty nice: The house builds up and gains power, and then... well. This is really undercosted though, I think. Two mana for 6 life and three creatures that then turns into three cards down the road?
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Fratricide 2bb
Sorcery (U)
This spell costs 2b less to cast if targets a creature that shares a type with a creature you control.
Destroy target creature.

IIW: Goblins that like Elves or vice versa.
I love the flavor implications of this one. You guys do a good job with open-ended flavor challenges, I have to say. Good hate card. Would be fun in a tribal set. I'd like to test this as an instant, too.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Inheritance of the Handscombs 3BR
Enchantment - Saga (R)
I - Target opponent sacrifices a creature.
II - Target creature an opponent controls fights another target creature that player controls.
III - Create two Gold tokens.

IIW: trains, artillery, or train artillery
I love that I was literally going to suggest that somebody make a card with this specific flavor, but you beat me to it. Another saga is great to see. This one is pretty rough, and either rips the opponent's board to shreds singlehandedly or forces the opponent into bad plays (like not playing a second creature) for a turn, which seems great.
3 years ago
Candlelight Mourning 1WG
Enchantment (R)
When you control no creatures, sacrifice ~. If you do, draw a card.
Whenever one or more creatures you control die for the first time in a turn, you may search your library for a creature card that shares a creature type with any of those creatures and put it in your hand. Then shuffle your library.

IIW: a static, a triggered and an activated ability
I love the templating here. It's fun: One or more creatures... "shares a type with any of those..." Cute. This is a lot of value. If your last creature dies you get another one AND draw a card. If this sticks in play for more than a couple of turns this is going to take over a game. That said, it does require a board, so the cost and rarity may be appropriate.
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Executor of Wills 1WWBB
Creature - Spirit Advisor
Flying
Whenever a creature you control dies, each other player sacrifices a creature. Put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
2, , Sacrifice a creature you control: Draw a card. You gain 3 life.
"It's never about the money. The bloodlust pays for itself."
2/4

Unknown Visitors 2BBB
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control dies, put a mourner counter on Unknown Visitors.
Morbid — At the beginning of each end step, if a creature died this turn, create a 2/2 colorless Shapeshifter creature token with changeling for each loss counter on Unknown Visitors.
They appeared for the forgotten and the well-remembered all the same, as if they personally knew who was being buried.

IIW: MLD that can only be used to end the game
I love the idea of these changelings showing up at my door.... it's a good thing they aren't trying to get anything from me though. Two cards... first, I wonder if the "executioner" pun might not have been worth going for here. For the second, this feels like it could go way out of hand after even just one or two creatures dying. I would also strongly consider the word "nontoken" here.

WINNER: ninjacaterpie
NEXT: trains, artillery, or train artillery
MEG

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Anti-Titan Railgun
Artifact - Vehicle (R)
Whenever Anti-Titan Railgun is crewed, it deals 4 damage to target creature, if that creature is a Giant, destroy it instead.
Crew 2
"The looked at me like I was crazy when I said why don't we put a cannon on a train to fight back the Giant menace but look at how well this works.
-Heln Fanstort, Marlian Royal Artificer

4/4

IIW: Cards for a Giants Vs Small Folk Set
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

the thing i like most about Gustav is despite its power it was basically useless. almost every single time they picked out something to shoot it at, they had to lay the tracks and move it there so slowly that by the time they got there the battle had already been won and the thing no longer needed being shot.

The Final Artillery 4
Artifact (U)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, discard a card.
T: Put a doom counter on target creature. The Final Artillery doesn't untap during its next untap step.
T: Destroy each creature with a doom counter on it.
"It is the masterpiece of our generation. When it is finally in position, seeing it in action will be glorious."

Last edited by spacemonaut 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Ovalchase Supply Train 3
Artifact — Vehicle (U)
Whenever a creature crews Ovalchase Supply Train, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Ovalchase Supply Train can be crewed only by creatures without counters on them.
Crew 1
4/4

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

OneAndOnly

Track-Mounted Helical Gun -- 3EE
Artifact - Cannon
As Track-Mounted Helical Gun enters the battlefield, choose a target.
1E: You gain a track counter. You may choose an additional target.
2EE, : Track-Mounted Helical Gun deals four damage to each target chosen for it.

Megiddo
MEG

Dinosaur Artillery 1RR
Creature — Dinosaur {U}
Enrage — Whenever Dinosaur Artillery is dealt damage, it deals 2 damage to any target and 3 damage to you.
2/3

IIW: it's like poetry; they rhyme
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Train of Thought 4
Artifact- Vehicle (U)
When Train of Thought becomes tapped, draw a card.
2, T: Look at target face down card on the battlefield or in exile.
Crew 3
4/6

IIW: Replace any one card from a cycle.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Call in Coordinates 3W
Instant
You may tap 2 white creatures you control rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Deal 5 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.

IIW: Soldier On

Mergatroid_Jones

Dwarven Artillery 2R
Creature- Dwarf Soldier (U)
Defender
T: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, Dwarven Artillery deals 2 damage to target player or planeswalker. Either way, put an aim counter on Dwarven Artillery.
T: Dwarven Artillery deals 2 damage to target player or planeswalker. Activate this ability only if there is an aim counter on Dwarven Artillery.
0/3

IIW: Something funky with colors, like Naked Singularity [/card], Transguild Courier [/card], or devoid.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Anti-Titan Railgun
Artifact - Vehicle (R)
Whenever Anti-Titan Railgun is crewed, it deals 4 damage to target creature, if that creature is a Giant, destroy it instead.
Crew 2
"The looked at me like I was crazy when I said why don't we put a cannon on a train to fight back the Giant menace but look at how well this works.
-Heln Fanstort, Marlian Royal Artificer

4/4

IIW: Cards for a Giants Vs Small Folk Set
Fun anti-tribe tech but still hits pretty hard without.
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
the thing i like most about Gustav is despite its power it was basically useless. almost every single time they picked out something to shoot it at, they had to lay the tracks and move it there so slowly that by the time they got there the battle had already been won and the thing no longer needed being shot.

The Final Artillery 4
Artifact (U)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, discard a card.
T: Put a doom counter on target creature. The Final Artillery doesn't untap during its next untap step.
T: Destroy each creature with a doom counter on it.
"It is the masterpiece of our generation. When it is finally in position, seeing it in action will be glorious."

Neat flavour. Reminds me a bit of Lux Cannon as a slow-charging monster cannon, but compared to that classic, this might be a bit too slow
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Ovalchase Supply Train 3
Artifact — Vehicle (U)
Whenever a creature crews Ovalchase Supply Train, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Ovalchase Supply Train can be crewed only by creatures without counters on them.
Crew 1
4/4

Choo choo. I like the little game this makes you play with your guys, though I can never judge Vehicle power levels.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Track-Mounted Helical Gun -- 3EE
Artifact - Cannon
As Track-Mounted Helical Gun enters the battlefield, choose a target.
1E: You gain a track counter. You may choose an additional target.
2EE, : Track-Mounted Helical Gun deals four damage to each target chosen for it.
Uhhh I'm not sure if the rules let you track targets like that and I have no idea what's expected to happen if targets become temporarily invalid. The energy costs are also a bit... extreme for a card that doesn't generate any.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Dinosaur Artillery 1RR
Creature — Dinosaur {U}
Enrage — Whenever Dinosaur Artillery is dealt damage, it deals 2 damage to any target and 3 damage to you.
2/3

IIW: it's like poetry; they rhyme
Beaut.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Train of Thought 4
Artifact- Vehicle (U)
When Train of Thought becomes tapped, draw a card.
2, T: Look at target face down card on the battlefield or in exile.
Crew 3
4/6

IIW: Replace any one card from a cycle.
Love the pun, but a bizarre set of abilities and crew 3 for vanilla 4 power?
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Call in Coordinates 3W
Instant
You may tap 2 white creatures you control rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Deal 5 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.

IIW: Soldier On
Oh, I like this one. That's a really cool alt cost although it feels pretty swingy/win-more.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Dwarven Artillery 2R
Creature- Dwarf Soldier (U)
Defender
T: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, Dwarven Artillery deals 2 damage to target player or planeswalker. Either way, put an aim counter on Dwarven Artillery.
T: Dwarven Artillery deals 2 damage to target player or planeswalker. Activate this ability only if there is an aim counter on Dwarven Artillery.
0/3

IIW: Something funky with colors, like Naked Singularity [/card], Transguild Courier [/card], or devoid.
Hah, clever, but it feels like it gets online too quickly to be pinging for 2 all the time.

winner: Wallycaine
next: Soldier On

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Firefist Champion RW
Creature — Elemental Soldier (U)
First strike
Battalion — Whenever three or more creatures attack, you may cast Firefist Champion from your graveyard. If you do, it enters the battlefield tapped and attacking.
2/2

IIW: a mortician's assistant
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

OneAndOnly

Bronzeshield Defender -- 1W
Creature - Soldier
If a creature you control would fight another creature, you may put Bronzeshield Defender onto the battlefield from your hand. If you do, that creature fights Bronzeshield Defender instead.
1/3

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”