NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Peter Piper, Pepper Picker 1G
Legendary Creature - Human Serf
Whenever Peter Piper, Pepper Picker enters the battlefield or attack, create a food token. (It's an artifact with "2, Tap, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life.")
Sacrifice a food: Target creature you control gets "R: this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn." Until end of turn.
Peter, you picked a peck of peppers will you pickle, pâté, or parcook them"
1/1

IIW: Nursery Rhymes as cards
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

Creature - Avatar (Rare)
If you control more nonland permanents than any other player, Avatar of Avarice costs 6 less to cast.
At the beginning of your upkeep, create two Treasure tokens.
BB, Tap two untapped Treasures you control: Gain control of target permanent. You lose 2 life.
6/6

IIW: MLD that can only be used to end the game

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Come closer, challanger cheking the site, evaluations eventually came. Be warned: it will be gruesomly grotesque in no particular places.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Turtle Tamer
1g
Creature - Troll (C)
T: Tap target Turtle.
2/2

IIW: green Plant creature token with 0 power.
Troubling troll, why does it tames and taps turtles? Since turtles are Simic, in a strange set only I would imagine that tribal hate, not to mention mediocre reasons to give green taping. But I adore two twos in toughness and power, a charming choice no doubt.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Caracal Confessor 2W
Creature- Cat Cleric (R)
Clerics can't confess.
1w,T: Creatures confess. (When a creature confesses, its controller may pay 1 and 1 life. If they don't, tap that creature.)
"Confessors constantly castigate corruption, cowardice, calumny. Confessors keep crowds calm. Confessors care completely."
--Cairu, Camaian Confessor

2/3

IIW: Something based off one of the following randoms: Psychic Purge, Profane Command, Browbeat, or Rootbound Crag.
I cannot simply savour the flavour text there, there is too much taste of wit and wordplay. Confession as a cleric's tribal tech feels as something strictly Orzohv however, with life loss via payment put aside of white and taping taken from black years ago.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Crafty Creeper
2bb
Creature - Crocodile (U)
Creatures can't convoke.
3/4

====

Siren's Surveillance
2UB
Sorcery (U)
Split-Second
Surveil 7.

IIW: blue Fish creature token with 0 power.
Maybe it is modal, but I will treat those as seperate submissions. Crafty Creeper is intresting, black-bordered black card spiteful towards Selesya. Flavour is fine, exquisite even, despite staggering simplicity of effect. Yet I would lower little mana cost, since this suppose to keep control over ramp.
Siren's Surveillance requires return of surveil out of Ravnica and a Split-Second. Card from commander pre-con, perhaps? Maybe Modern Horizons? Anyway, this is incredible number of non-disruptable top-deck tech. Far from frustration causing cards like Dig Through Time, similiar somewhat to Tamiyo's Epiphany, yet unlike any of them in technicalities. I think surveil 5 would be fine.
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Troublesome Tortoise 2
Artifact Creature — Turtle (C)
2, t: Triple target tapped Turtle's toughness until Troublesome Tortoise untaps.
0/3

IIW: (Musical) Instrument as an artifact subtype.
Turtles truly are popular for purpose of alliteration. This is tribal ability acutely fitting for turtles, a sublime sight for eyes. Only name seems somewhat random.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Baking Bad 1B
Enchantment (R)
When Baking Bad enters the battlefield, each player creates a food token. (it's an artifact with "2, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Gain 3 life.")
Whenever an opponent sacrifices a token, they gain 1 poison counter.

Bonus:

Royal Rodent GBW
Creature - Rat Noble (R)
Deathtouch, lifelink, vigilance,
Other rat creatures, squirrel creatures, and mouse creatures you control get +1/+1 and have deathtouch, lifelink, and vigilance.
2/2

IIW: Clues, Food and Treasure.
Not all cooks excel at coking. Valid hoser for variety of strategies, perhaps possibly even engine towards win with hunted cards and similiary styled token creators combined with edicts.
Royal Rodent seem as Abzan attempt at not counter-based strategy, exaclty effort we need. Yet it might be more then pushed via anthem and three terrifingly effective keywords.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Envelop In Energy U
Instant
Enchantments enter an energy environment. (Players may spend E as if it were one mana of any color to pay colored costs of activated abilities of permanents they control in an energy environment. They may pay 1E to untap a permanent they control in an energy environment. When no players have E, end the energy environment.)

IIW: Something so simple is should already have been done.
I mutter mumbled words, speedily searching for competent critique. It is drastically diffent then anything else, both here and before by Wizards. Arcum's Astrolabe teaches us however hard lesson - to much mana fixing makes mediocre environment. I am afraid it would fall the same wicked way.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Innocuous Igloo 2S
Snow Artifact Creature - Shapeshifter (R)
Defender
Whenever a creature targets or becomes blocked by Innocuous Igloo, Innocuous Igloo fights that creature.
"In the Icelands, mimics often find interesting and immoral imitations."
3/6

IIW: Build a Monowhite Griffin
I am confused and concerned. Maybe mimic wants me to wander in such sanity-drinking thoughts? Why is igloo immoral? Mechanics makes sense, except essentially pie-violation with frequent fighting for colorless creature.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Peter, Party Pooper 2BGU
Legendary Planeswalker — Peter (M)
[+1]: Create a 2/2 colorless Pangolin Pirate Peasant creature token with prowess and protection from Pests. Populate.
[-2]: Proliferate. Peter phases out.
[-7]: Pick a permanent type. You get an emblem with "You may play cards of the chosen permanent type from your graveyard as though they had flash."
Partner

IIW: Elves getting ready for Christmas
Three-color partner, presenting opportunity of five-colored partner decks? Not necessarrily a fan. Its sttageringly serindipitous triade of text is poking pleasantly fun at challange, I will admit.
Stapler wrote:
3 years ago
Cleo, Curious Comrade 5
Legendary Creature - Cat Chimera (R)
Companion — Your starting deck contains only cards with English names that start with the letter C and land cards.
Convoke
Cascade
3/6

IIW: a REALLY BIG punch
Companion, questionable design drenching us forever in flashbacks of nighmare's night of magic's many periods. Companion clause is simply silly, making me giggle. Gruesome however are Convoke and Cascade attached at one card, reminding me recent problematic poster-boy of reducing required mana to cast.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Crippling Catcher 1W
Creature - Kor Cleric (U)
Players that control colorless creatures can't cast spells during your turn.
W, T: Tap target creature.
1/3

IIW: Kor Equipment
I am amazed, simply saying. A white hate bear, bearing resemblance to long lineage of crippingly hosing critters, yet still feeling fresh and with finely crafted flavour. However it has little impact on eldrazi's expected game plan of sacrificing scion's to cast creatures on controler's turn. If not for the taping, Crippling Catcher's abilties actually would not shine as much.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Ashnod's Airship 5
Artifact (R)
XX, T: Choose one -
• Artifact creatures you control get +X/+0 and gain flying until end of turn.
• Ashnod's Airship deals X damage to each nonartifact creature without flying.
When Ashnod's Airship is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, destroy all artifact creatures.

IIW: Lorwyn Giants
This one makes much sense, specializing in trade of Ashnod - artifice. In mirror matches of artifact aggros it would have some truly satisfying tactical depht, outside of them, it would be somewhat suicidal curve-ender.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Bullying Beebles 6U
Creature — Beeble {U}
Bullying Beebles can't be blocked except by blue creatures.
4/4

IIW: LOVE
Beautiful and breath-taking, following finesse name norms. Sadly, associated abilities are diffrent distinctively enough to make Bullying Beebles into something similiar, yet apparently apart from traditional take. Innovations indeed are needed, but this diffrence in detail - on greater level - seems similiar to slivers after M14 for me.
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Armored Aardvark
Creature - Aardvark(U)
Absorb 2 (If a source would deal damage to this creature, prevent N of that damage.)
Sources deal damage to Armored Aardvark as though they had deathtouch.
2/1

IIW: I;m Thinking About Thos Beans
Quirky, yet qustionable. The closing clause means merely that enchantments, equipments and combat tricks may try, but cannot help it. Bolt burns through it almost always, disregarding dutiful investments in it.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Hungriest Hippo 3GG
Creature — Hippo (U)
Haste, hexproof, horsemanship
3/3

IIW: What did you get Rakdos for his birthday?
Definetely death incarnate, a bloodthirsty behemoth of waters, wantonly hanging on horse's back. Its cost causes it to expect enchantments, having hexproof to boot, so haste have little worth, but when it does, the stamped slaughters you mercilessly.
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Crusty Crab
Creature - Crab (U)
Crusty Crab enters the battlefield with a hexproof counter on it.
Remove a hexproof counter from Crusty Crab: Tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
3/3

IIW: BEANS
Not unique uncommon, but exceptionally effective. Aura admirer, sturdy wall should sorcery help it and finally a lockdown efficient enforcer. In simple saying, I like it.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Peter Piper, Pepper Picker 1G
Legendary Creature - Human Serf
Whenever Peter Piper, Pepper Picker enters the battlefield or attack, create a food token. (It's an artifact with "2, Tap, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life.")
Sacrifice a food: Target creature you control gets "R: this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn." Until end of turn.
Peter, you picked a peck of peppers will you pickle, pâté, or parcook them"
1/1

IIW: Nursery Rhymes as cards
Food titan, fine addition to any banquet on battlefield. Pepper peppering poor tongue of other summons is a fun take on turnips food. It would require respectful voltron however to utilise his complete capacities.
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Creature - Avatar (Rare)
If you control more nonland permanents than any other player, Avatar of Avarice costs 6 less to cast.
At the beginning of your upkeep, create two Treasure tokens.
BB, Tap two untapped Treasures you control: Gain control of target permanent. You lose 2 life.
6/6

IIW: MLD that can only be used to end the game
A sulphorous Swamp, a blood-drenching Dark Ritual, Doomed Dissenter, then casualy Culling the Weak, winning you Avatar of Avarice on the first turn. Then you steal lands, as sly person you are. Tension of tapping treasures or using them is real, requesting players to evaluate their personal priorities per turn basis. I think it would confuse kitchen table players less if you would - sadly - sacrifice the tokens.

HM: How could I forget flavour and wacky work of both cards of Mergatroid_Jones? And NinjaCaterpie, for perfectly fine card, lacking just little in terms of theme of challange with winner.
Winner: Flatline, thanks to getting amazing amount of "t" and creating credible card for its tribe that I found somewhat more pleasant then Caracal Confessor.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

That means the next challenge is:

(Musical) Instrument as an artifact subtype.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

Thundersong Trumpet RW
Artifact — Instrument {U}
PlayT, Tap any number of creatures you control with total power 2 or more: Target creature can't attack or block this turn.

MEG

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Citanul Flute -- 3
Artifact - Equipment Instrument
As long as Citanul Flute hasn't been played this turn, equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has lifelink.
Play - X, : Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost X or less, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle.
Equip 3
IIW: The end of time.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Springleaf Bongo 1
Artifact — Instrument (U)
Perform — Add one mana of any color. (If Springleaf Bongo is prepared, perform at the beginning of your precombat main phase or whenever you activate a loyalty ability of prepared planeswalker.)
Prepare 1 (1: Attach to yourself or target planeswalker you control. Prepare only as a sorcery.)

IIW: A five-mana uncommon for Limited.

EDIT: I know this isn't the most flashy implementation of this concept, but given that it would be introducing a new permanent subtype, I figured it would be more important to design a clean implementation that would have the room for reminder text to learn how it works.
Last edited by Cythare 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Post by avatarz » 3 years ago

Harp of Lost Dreams 1UU
(This permanent enters the battlefield with three harmonic counters on it.)
Attune to instants (Whenever you cast an instant spell, adjust the number of harmonic counters on this permanent to that spell converted mana cost.)
U, T: Counter target spell that is attuned to ~, unless that spell's controller pays 2. Draw a card.

Instruments enter the battlefield with a number of counters on them equal to their converted mana cost.
To attune a permanent to a spell, adjust the number of harmonic counters on that permanent equal to that spell converted mana cost. A permanent is attuned to a permanent or spell, if that permanent or spell has converted mana cost equal to the number of harmonic counters on the first permanent.

IIW: Attune (see my card)

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

Skull Tumpet
Artifact Creature - Skeleton Instrument (U)
doo-doot
1/1

IIW: :halo:
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Elven War Horn 2GG
Artifact - Instrument (R)
2GG, T: Until end of turn, green creatures you control get +2/+2 and have haste and trample.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

I figure the best way to model instruments is to make them better the more variety in instruments you have. You still need someone to play them. You may not be able to use all your instruments every turn, but you can play some, and the ones you're not using are lending power to the ones you are. Here's a sample, in a set that will have more instruments than just these, including colorless and common equipment:

Inspiring Brass 1W
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Distribute X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is the number of differently named Instruments you control.
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)

Willow Flute 1G
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Add a number of equal to the number of differently named Instruments you control.

Fervent Drums 1R
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Target creature you control gets +X/+0 and gains trample until end of turn, where X is the number of differently named Instruments you control.

One-Band Mannequin 4
Artifact Creature — Instrument Golem (U)
When One-Band Mannequin enters the battlefield, reveal the top six cards of your library. You may reveal an artifact card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
: Untap another target creature with toughness X or less, where X is the number of differently named Instruments you control.
2/2

I'm taking Springleaf Drum as an indicator that "tap an untapped creature you control" is a pretty significant cost in and of itself.

IIW: Squirrellink but for another kind of token

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

A few thoughts before judgments......

I have been trying to come up with a good way to implement musical instruments without much success for quite a while now. The main problem I've come up against is, in order to justify their existence, they need to be unique from other artifacts in some significant way. Particularly since it's easy enough to just make an equipment, or even a standard artifact that is flavored as a musical instrument. The best way I've thought of to do this is to make the instruments be more powerful in tandem with one another, which would represent a band of musicians playing together. Something like: Play - t, Tap an untapped creature you control: Each creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each instrument you've played this turn. That's probably the best idea I've come up with so far, but I'm afraid that it might be difficult for a deck to run enough different instruments to really make the idea worthwhile. Anyway, please keep these thoughts in mind while reading my judgments.
Blatherings
Show
Hide
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Thundersong Trumpet RW
Artifact — Instrument {U}
PlayT, Tap any number of creatures you control with total power 2 or more: Target creature can't attack or block this turn.

The activation of the ability makes perfect sense, and considering Springleaf Drum, it seems like a likely way Wizards would represent playing an instrument. Making the ability count potential multiple creatures (ala crew) seems a bit odd for an instrument though. There aren't many instruments that require more than one player. Also, I wish there was a bit more justification for a new card type since here it's mostly for flavor, but it's not too bad. The card itself seems ok, although a bit underwhelming.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Citanul Flute -- 3
Artifact - Equipment Instrument
As long as Citanul Flute hasn't been played this turn, equipped creature gets +1/+0 and has lifelink.
Play - X, : Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost X or less, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle.
Equip 3
IIW: The end of time.
This is a very interesting take that I hadn't thought of. I had thought of making instruments also be equipment, but the choice between buffing the creature and "playing" the instrument is a pretty cool idea that never occurred to me. The play ability on this card seems a bit strong though.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Springleaf Bongo 1
Perform — Add one mana of any color. (If Springleaf Bongo is prepared, perform at the beginning of your precombat main phase or whenever you activate a loyalty ability of prepared planeswalker.)
Prepare 1 (1: Attach to yourself or target planeswalker you control. Prepare only as a sorcery.)

IIW: A five-mana uncommon for Limited.

EDIT: I know this isn't the most flashy implementation of this concept, but given that it would be introducing a new permanent subtype, I figured it would be more important to design a clean implementation that would have the room for reminder text to learn how it works.
I like the innovation behind this, but I'm not sure how much I like how much it tries to push you towards playing multiple planeswalkers, although with this card, all you would end up doing with multiple planeswalkers is filtering your mana. Play-wise, the card seems ok for a man rock. It seems strong at first glance, since it adds any color for a cost of two mana, but the fact that you can only use the mana during your main phase justifies it costing 1 less than your standard, add any color mana rock.
3 years ago
Harp of Lost Dreams 1UU
(This permanent enters the battlefield with three harmonic counters on it.)
Attune to instants (Whenever you cast an instant spell, adjust the number of harmonic counters on this permanent to that spell converted mana cost.)
U, T: Counter target spell that is attuned to ~, unless that spell's controller pays 2. Draw a card.

Instruments enter the battlefield with a number of counters on them equal to their converted mana cost.
To attune a permanent to a spell, adjust the number of harmonic counters on that permanent equal to that spell converted mana cost. A permanent is attuned to a permanent or spell, if that permanent or spell has converted mana cost equal to the number of harmonic counters on the first permanent.

IIW: Attune (see my card)
Attune is certainly interesting. I feel like I need to see more cards with it to really evaluate it, but I think I could come up with some interesting ideas for the ability. I could see situations where someone doesn't want to cast a card that's in their hand because they don't want to retune their instrument. I'm not sure I like that. I can also see instances in which someone casts an instant to retune their instrument to the correct 'note' at the perfect time, which seems cool. So I'm a bit torn on the ability. Harp of Lost Dreams reminds me a bit of Counterbalance, which might not be great considering how powerful Counterbalance is.
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Skull Tumpet
Artifact Creature - Skeleton Instrument (U)
doo-doot
1/1

IIW: :halo:
A-doobidy-doo-wop-pow!
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Elven War Horn 2GG
Artifact - Instrument (R)
2GG, T: Until end of turn, green creatures you control get +2/+2 and have haste and trample.
This seems like it's only an instrument to pass the challenge. It could easily just be an artifact. A really strong one at that. A continuous Stampede like this is probably too good.
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
I figure the best way to model instruments is to make them better the more variety in instruments you have. You still need someone to play them. You may not be able to use all your instruments every turn, but you can play some, and the ones you're not using are lending power to the ones you are. Here's a sample, in a set that will have more instruments than just these, including colorless and common equipment:

Inspiring Brass 1W
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Distribute X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is the number of differently named Instruments you control.

Willow Flute 1G
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Add a number of equal to the number of differently named Instruments you control.

Fervent Drums 1R
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Target creature you control gets +X/+0 and gains trample until end of turn, where X is the number of differently named Instruments you control.

One-Band Mannequin 4
Artifact Creature — Instrument Golem (U)
When One-Band Mannequin enters the battlefield, reveal the top six cards of your library. You may reveal an artifact card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
: Untap another target creature with toughness X or less, where X is the number of differently named Instruments you control.
2/2

I'm taking Springleaf Drum as an indicator that "tap an untapped creature you control" is a pretty significant cost in and of itself.

IIW: Squirrellink but for another kind of token
The "coming together to form a band" idea is something I brought up at the beginning of these judgments. I'm glad at least one person explored that idea. I like the cards you've come up with, but I think you've found the problem I keep running up against, which is that the cards have the potential to be rather underpowered and creature dependent. I assume that's why you gave most of them cycling. Still, I think you did a really good job of representing a baseline of how instruments could be incorporated into MTG.
HM: OneAndOnly, avatarz
Winner: spacemonaut
Next: Squirrellink, but for another token.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Scally Wagger R
Creature - Dog Pirate (R)
Protection from Cats and from Rats
Treasurelink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many Treasure tokens. They're the same as literally all the other Treasure tokens.)
1R: Ask "Who's a good boy?" Unless an opponent replies "Pup is!" within five seconds, Scally Wagger gains double strike and can't be blocked until end of turn. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once per turn.
1/2

IIW: Un-commanders
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ulka

Spiraling Sleuth 2R
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Haste
Cluelink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many colorless Clue artifact tokens with '2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.'")
Whenever you sacrifice a clue, discard a card.
Madness 1R
To others they have lost their mind but they seem to think they are onto something.
2/2

IIW: Treasure Matters Cards

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Bringer of the Promised Doom BBB
Creature- Human Cleric (R)
Demonlink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many 5/5 black Demon creature tokens with flying.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose one life for each Demon you control.
1/3

IIW: A card based on one of the following randoms: Wild Griffin, Opt, Remand, or Natural Emergence

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

(Honestly, the war horn was the only thing I could come up with for the last challenge, and yeah, it could probably have been a regular artifact)

Rat King 1BB
Creature - Rat (R)
Menace, Ratlink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many 1/1 black Rat creature tokens)
Rat King's power and toughness are each equal to 1 plus the number of other rat creatures you control.
"Despite it's name, there is nothing noble about this chittering horror."
1+*/1+*
Notes
Show
Hide
The wording of the power and toughness setting ability is to protect it from things that change its creature type so that they won't kill it on their own.

As for the creatures name, A Rat King is an, although rare, phenomenon that sometimes occurs in large wild rat populations. What happens is that a number of rats tails get tangled causing the rats to become stuck to each other, instead of panicking or fighting, the rats start to act as one, forming a sort of abhorrent symbiotic relationship with each other. They're friggin' terrifying.
IIW: All that glitters...

Edit: I accidentally a word.

Edit 2: I forgot something else, again.
Last edited by Krishnath 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
The "coming together to form a band" idea is something I brought up at the beginning of these judgments. I'm glad at least one person explored that idea. I like the cards you've come up with, but I think you've found the problem I keep running up against, which is that the cards have the potential to be rather underpowered and creature dependent. I assume that's why you gave most of them cycling. Still, I think you did a really good job of representing a baseline of how instruments could be incorporated into MTG.
Golly, I'm glad you liked that implementation! I gave them cycling because they want you to find many different kinds of instruments. When you draw your second Inspiring Brass, you may not want a second one, so you're given a choice between casting it and being able to play two, or potentially finding another instrument that'll make your existing one stronger.

I figure overall they're in the general power level area of Shrines: a thing many people will love and want to build with in casual games, but which probably won't be seen winning constructed tournaments.

P.S. Loving these tokenlinks so far. :D

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

In for the obvs.
Hunger Pangs -- 3R
Sorcery
Foodlink (Damage dealt by this also causes you to create that many Food tokens.)
Hunger Pangs deals one damage to each creature, player, and planeswalker.
After the famine, at least the crows shall feast.
Since we're all commenting on our cards, I'll add that the activated ability for the card I offered last turn is exactly Citanul Flute. I split the casting cost between the mana cost of the new version and its equip cost. I like the tension created between the card's static ability and using its activated ability; it's something I do frequently. As a side note to that, I like the self-evident nature of keywording the ability as "play," but of course that runs atangle of its typical use in MtG.
IIW: Paradoxes. (Paradoxen?)

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Swarm Queen 4gg
Creature - Insect
Insectlink (lifelink, but make 1/1 green insect tokens instead.)
Insects you control get +1/+1.
Whenever a non-token creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 2g. If you do, put a swarm counter on that creature.
Creatures you control with swarm counters on them are insects in addition to their other types, and have insectlink.
4/4
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Kenrith, Elk Regent 1GU
Legendary Creature — Elk Noble (M)
Okolink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many blue and green Oko legendary planeswalker tokens named Oko, Thief of Crowns with four loyalty counters and "+2: Create a Food token.", "+1: Target artifact or creature loses all abilities and becomes a green Elk creature with base power and toughness 3/3.", and "−5: Exchange control of target artifact or creature you control and target creature an opponent controls with power 3 or less.")
3/3

Ok, but actually:
Fioran Voting Clerk 2WW
Creature — Human Advisor (R)
Citizenlink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many 1/1 white Citizen creature tokens.)
While voting, you get an additional vote for each Citizen you control.
2/4

IIW: A 5-mana Limited uncommon
Last edited by Cythare 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

@chetoos What's the properties of the insect tokens created by insectlink? There's a few different kinds. (It's fine to define whatever you want as a one-off, when judging I won't be considering what kinds of insect tokens other cards might want to create.)

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Malovent Plague
Creature - Elemental Horror (R)
Deathtouch
Carrier (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many 0/0 black Germ creature tokens.)
Whenever creature dies, each player loses 1 life.
2/2

IIW: White foxes or white cats

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Fioran Voting Clerk 2WW
Creature — Human Advisor (R)
Citizenlink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many 1/1 white Citizen creature tokens.)
While voting, you get an additional vote for each Citizen you control.
2/4
Yay! Democracy!

Suggested flavor text: "Marchesa never expected to be voted out of office, or how easy it was to be elected Queen again."

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

Sliver Hyperpopulator WUBRG
Legendary Creature - Sliver (M)
Slivers you control have sliverlink. (Damage dealt by those creatures also causes you to create that many 1/1 colourless Sliver creature tokens.)
1/1

IIW: Spicy food
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Ulka

Eligible Bachelor 1RW
Creature - Human (U)
Haste
Humanlink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to create that many 1/1 White human creature tokens.)
Eligible bachelor gets +1/+0 for each opponent you have.
"Will you accept this rose?"
1/1

IIW: Cards inspired off Reality TV shows

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”