NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Hello and welcome to planar Chaos 2: Plane Chaoser. Today we're looking at the cards that combine mechanics from what can be referred to as the golden age to the dark age of standard.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
From a commander set.

Neferkasokar, High Minister 1GWB
Legendary Creature- Human Advisor (M)
When a land enters the battlefield under your control, surveil 1.
T: Target creature card in your graveyard gains "Embalm X" until end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost.
2/5

IIW: Legendary enchantment whose name starts with G
Technically, we're starting with a card from the Planar Chaomander decks, but it's all part of the same spoiler season, so it's extra confusing. This card combines technically 3 mechanics together, landfall, surveil, and embalm. The landfall helps you set up plays, the surveil can put creatures in the graveyard to embalm later, and this color is rife with abilities to copy tokens, I like how this card comes together. My only note as a reviewer of cards is that the tap ability seems a little too easy. Maybe some mana cost with it?
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Burning Ingenuity UR
Instant (U)
Draw two cards, then discard a card. Burning Ingenuity deals 1 damage to you.
Jump-start
Escape - 2UR, Exile three other cards from your graveyard.
Izzet engineers are always happy to visit ideas from their past, present or future.

IIW: China made a new gacha game for weebs where all the units are cute anime characters dressed up as famous artifacts from Magic: The Gathering. Who's your favourite character?
In an aggressive heavy meta, this card seems dangerous, but if you can offset the self-damage, it's easily castable over and over. The jump start is there for when you want it a little cheaper, but as long as you keep filling your yard, you can keep drawing cards. The escape cost is also the only mode on this card where you get card advantage, rather than selection. A good mind game.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Jungle Wanderers
{B}{G}{U}
Creature - Merfolk Scout
{U}{B}, T: Surveil 2.
2{G}: Jungle Wanderers explores.
2/3

IIW: Plant creature token with 0 power
Now that we have a card that can easily explore as much as it wants, I do wonder if WotC was right to limit how easy it is to explore in the original Ixalan block. Still, the abilities synergize well together, surveil setting up what you want to hit with explore, be it land drops or nonlands for counters. Excellent for filling up the yard for sultai decks.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Lo!
I am really sorry for how it turned out and thank you @Megiddo for taking care of judging.

Questing Prince
Creature - Human Noble (R)
Vigilance
Ascend (If you control ten or more permanents, you get the city's blessing for the rest of the game.)
As long as you have the city's blessing, Questing Prince has first strike, lifelink and has indestructible as long as you control another creature.
3/3
///
Gather Followers
Instant - Adventure
Create a white 1/1 Peasant creature token. If you control a Peasant, create a white 1/1 Soldier creature token with first strike. If you control both a Peasant and a Soldier, create a white 2/2 Knight creature token with vigilance.

IIW: Seven deadly sins or Seven heavenly virtues
This card seems like a WotC mistake, on par with copy cat combo. The adventure is worded so that you get 4 power worth of tokens, 3 of it with abilities, for 2 mana, which is an amazing deal, and then 2 turns later, you already have at least 7 permanents for ascend, so you're practically there. Maybe a simple reword could have kept this card from becoming banned, reordering the token creation so it's back to front instead.
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Chulane's Apprentice 1G
Creature - Human Druid
When Chulane's Apprentice enters the battlefield, it explores.
Whenever a historic permanent enters the battlefield, you may pay 1W. If you do, return Chulane's Apprentice to its owner's hand. You gain life equal to twice the number of +1/+1 counters on Chulane's Apprentice.
Chulane and his students search for stories both old and new.
0/2

IIW: re-do a card banned in any format that isn't Vintage
Ah, now this card is a much more fair way of repeating explore triggers, and if you can manipulate its counters, you gain even more life. A nice package that ties up neatly together. Maybe could have been a 1/2, though.
PanchoPonceN wrote:
3 years ago
Mad Scavenger 2B
Creature - Zombie Wizard (R)
When Mad Scavenger enters the battlefield, surveil X, where X is your devotion to black.
Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Return Mad Scavenger from your graveyard to your hand.
[2/2]

IIW: Something inspired by your favorite video game (please, include a reference).
A good piece of the black devotion deck in standard, helping to set up your draws and filling up the graveyard for escape shenanigans, as well as fueling its own recursion. Just a good value piece, not too over powered.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Unending Sleuth 1B
Creature - Skeleton Rogue (U)
Deathtouch
When Unending Sleuth enters the battlefield Surveil 1. If it escapes for Surveil 3 instead.
1B: Regenerate
Escape - 2BB, Exile four other cards from your graveyard.
1/1

IIW:Oozes
Another decent black card, good aggressive card, though it was weird that WotC used regenerate again here, when they have since replaced it with "gain indestructible until end of turn". More surveil combination with graveyard mechanics, a good combination.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Glory of Discovery 2G
Enchantment (R)
Kicker 1R
When Glory of Discovery enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens with haste.
Raid - At the beginning of your end step, if you attacked with a creature this turn, you may put a creature or enchantment card with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of tapped creatures you control from your hand onto the battlefield.
Leave it to goblins to turn first contact into a shindig.

IIW: Drawbacks that can be played around.
This card feels a little off. The main enchantment, plus a copy of Dragon Fodder attached if you kick it, but the main enchantment still feels very red even without it in the main mana cost. Plus, what if I want to attack with my Questing Beast, that doesn't get counted, but my pitiful Llanowar Elves gets to contribute, if something attacked? Feels off.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Bigger Isamaru W
Legendary Creature — Dog {R}
Companion — Each nonland card in your deck is historic.
6/6

I couldn't think of an ability to go with that Companion restriction so you get a vanilla. Please don't pick me as the winner.

IIW: Recursion.
If this was the idea that WotC had in mind for companions when soft-banning them with the rules change, it does make sense why they did it. It seems like they forgot that you can just play this in your deck as a 1 mana 6/6 as is. Really not sure how this got through R&D.

Anyway, now I guess I need to judge this stack of random cards selected from Planar Chaos 2: Plane chaoser. My choice for best card is...

Winner: Mergatroid_Jones, with Neferkosukar

Next: legendary enchantment that starts with G.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Good challenge, hopefully I'll enter it because it's thought-provoking as far as a flavor exercise

but when will NinjaCaterpie win next
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

I wouldn't disqualify him for this iiw.
MEG

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

In some alternate universe I had found out that I did not include the word "instead" at the end of each of modes before the judging had commenced. Definitely a pity.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

smh by the time i win, they'll have released a new banner and Legacy-chan will be powercreeped over by an uncommon clover.

Gideon, Oath of W2
Legendary Enchantment (R)
Create two Kor Ally creature tokens that are 1/1 and white when Gideon, Oath of enters the battlefield.
Put an additional loyalty counter on each planeswalker you control as it enters the battlefield.
"I will keep watch for peace and justice."

chetoos

Galeem, world of Light 2WW
Legendary Enchantment (M)
Creature tokens you control get +1/+1 for each other creature token you control.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose one:
  • Exile target creature card from a graveyard, and create a token that's a copy of that creature, except it loses all abilities.
  • Exile target creature card from a graveyard and create a token that's a copy of that creature, except it has base power and toughness 1/1
IIW: The dark souls of MTG
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Gideon's Aegis 1WW
Legendary Enchantment
When Gideon's Aegis enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens.
Each creature you control may block an additional creature each combat.
Whenever an attacking or blocking creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one other target creature.
"In his memory, we stand for others."

IIW: Squirrellink but for another kind of token
Last edited by spacemonaut 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

@spacemonaut the fact that the name was already taken explains why it is not legendary, am I right?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
the fact that the name was already taken explains why it is not legendary, am I right?

...y....yes, let's go with that

Thanks for that catch! I forgot about the legendary requirement. I'll revise.

NinjaCaterpie

Grand Lie of Ascension BB
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, exile it under Grand Lie of Ascension
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose target creature card in your graveyard with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of creatures exiled by Grand Lie of Ascension and return it to the battlefield.

IIW: China made a new gacha game for weebs where all the units are cute anime characters dressed up as famous artifacts from Magic: The Gathering. Who's your favourite character?

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Galina's Will 2uu
Legendary Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature.
"It's my way way, or the dry way."

IIW: (musical) Instrument as a subtype.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Geralf's First Return 1UB
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (M)
As an additional cost to cast Geralf's First Return, exile a creature card from your graveyard.
Enchant creature card in a graveyard.
When Geralf's First Return enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Geralf's First Return." Return enchanted creature card to the battlefield under your control and attach Geralf's First Return to it. When Geralf's First Return leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
"Finally I did it. It Lives!" - Geralf Cecani, Stitcher

IIW:A card from Gisa and Geralf's Necrowarfares
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

Genju of the Void 4CC
Legendary Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land
2: Enchanted land becomes a legendary 12/8 Spirit creature with haste and menace until end of turn.
When enchanted land is put into a graveyard, you may return Genju of the Void from your graveyard to your hand.
Ajani felt its presence as he approached Kamigawa. Tamiyo told him long ago it meant no harm, but he could never get used to it.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

I'll judge in 8 hours or so

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Genkirai, Where Lightning Swirls 3RR
Players play with their hands revealed and can't cast spells for their mana costs.
Players may cast spells for the average mana cost of a nonland card with the lowest converted mana cost and one with the highest converted mana cost in their hands, rounded up. (For example, if the lowest cost is WW and the highest is 4RRR, that player may pay 2RRW to cast spells.)
Whenever a player casts a spell from their hand, that player shuffles that spell card into their library and copies a nonland card with the lowest converted mana cost and one with the highest converted mana cost from their hand, then may cast the copies without paying their mana costs.
Magic blurs and forms catastrophes in Kaminari's realm.

IIW: Mad science, but no blue or red
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Mergatroid_Jones

SPOILER
Show
Hide
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
smh by the time i win, they'll have released a new banner and Legacy-chan will be powercreeped over by an uncommon clover.

Gideon, Oath of W2
Create two Kor Ally creature tokens that are 1/1 and white when Gideon, Oath of enters the battlefield.
Put an additional loyalty counter on each planeswalker you control as it enters the battlefield.
"I will keep watch for peace and justice."
An alternate reality version of Oath of Gideon, I suppose. But they're a little too similar for my liking, and the original seems better to me all around. You're likely not to have any planeswalkers yet, even in a planeswalker heavy deck, since this is a 3 drop.
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Galeem, world of Light 2WW
Creature tokens you control get +1/+1 for each other creature token you control.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose one:
  • Exile target creature card from a graveyard, and create a token that's a copy of that creature, except it loses all abilities.
  • Exile target creature card from a graveyard and create a token that's a copy of that creature, except it has base power and toughness 1/1
IIW: The dark souls of MTG
The triggered ability is so cool I would rather not even bother with the static ability. I'm not sure it's overpowered with both, but it sure is complex with tokens of varying identities and fluctuating power bonuses. Very mathy.

spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Gideon's Aegis 1WW
Legendary Enchantment
When Gideon's Aegis enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens.
Each creature you control may block an additional creature each combat.
Whenever an attacking or blocking creature you control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on up to one other target creature.
"In his memory, we stand for others."

IIW: Squirrellink but for another kind of token
It's another Oath of Gideon variant. High Ground was always a favorite. I'd prefer the card with just the first two abilities with the cost of 2W, but as is, it certainly feels more legendary.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Grand Lie of Ascension BB
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, exile it under Grand Lie of Ascension
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose target creature card in your graveyard with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of creatures exiled by Grand Lie of Ascension and return it to the battlefield.

That's so strange! But it's powerful, and it's got "Story focus card" written all over it. It's mostly jank, but it's got some cool potential.
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Galina's Will 2uu
Legendary Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature.
"It's my way way, or the dry way."

IIW: (musical) Instrument as a subtype.
So this is to Control Magic what In Bolas's Clutches is to Confiscate. It's a powerful card, and it's not broken, but it's not very inspiring either.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Geralf's First Return 1UB
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (M)
As an additional cost to cast Geralf's First Return, exile a creature card from your graveyard.
Enchant creature card in a graveyard.
When Geralf's First Return enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Geralf's First Return." Return enchanted creature card to the battlefield under your control and attach Geralf's First Return to it. When Geralf's First Return leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
"Finally I did it. It Lives!" - Geralf Cecani, Stitcher

IIW:A card from Gisa and Geralf's Necrowarfares
This poor, tortured wording. Don't you just miss "enchant dead creature"? This is a fair price to pay for the card, but it's no Animate Dead, that's for sure.

lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Genju of the Void 4CC
Legendary Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land
2: Enchanted land becomes a legendary 12/8 Spirit creature with haste and menace until end of turn.
When enchanted land is put into a graveyard, you may return Genju of the Void from your graveyard to your hand.
Ajani felt its presence as he approached Kamigawa. Tamiyo told him long ago it meant no harm, but he could never get used to it.

Seeing Genju of the Realm on the list, I wondered if anybody would spring for it. I like the parallel, but I wish there were a little more to its line of play.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Genkirai, Where Lightning Swirls 3RR
Players play with their hands revealed and can't cast spells for their mana costs.
Players may cast spells for the average mana cost of a nonland card with the lowest converted mana cost and one with the highest converted mana cost in their hands, rounded up. (For example, if the lowest cost is WW and the highest is 4RRR, that player may pay 2RRW to cast spells.)
Whenever a player casts a spell from their hand, that player shuffles that spell card into their library and copies a nonland card with the lowest converted mana cost and one with the highest converted mana cost from their hand, then may cast the copies without paying their mana costs.
Magic blurs and forms catastrophes in Kaminari's realm.

IIW: Mad science, but no blue or red
Uhhhhhhhhhhh...... what? How do I-- and then I--.... And I cast the copies? Somebody call a Rules Lawyer, Maybe you can do this in silver boarder, but it's breaking my brain to comprehend even the most basic plays.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Winner: NinjaCaterpie for Grand Lie of Ascension.

Meaning next is... alrighty then... China made a new gacha game for weebs where all the units are cute anime characters dressed up as famous artifacts from Magic: The Gathering. Who's your favourite character?

I guess that basically just means make an artifact?? that can be a cute girl somehow?
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

ayy we got there
MEG

chetoos

Um... I didn't submit that card. I guess good job on NC's go.

Mergatroid_Jones

Whoops, sorry about that, Chetoos. Your card would've been next.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Worldsla-yandere
Legendary Artifact Creature - Waifu Assassin Berserker (R)
Whenever Worldsla-yandere deals combat damage to a player, destroy all other permanents.
"It's only me and you, planeswalker-senpai, no other cards allowed. I will make sure of that."
5/5

IIW: Ancient tomes

Megiddo
MEG

Dahae, Master Tinkerer 1UR
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer {R}
Gachascade 3 (When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. If you don't, you may pay 3 to repeat this process. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of your library in a random order.)
You may have Dahae enter the battlefield as a copy of any artifact on the battlefield.
2/2

IIW: Subgames, minigames, or mind games.
MEG

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

HAPPY FLAMINGOVERSARY

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Anniversary retrospective post #1: The Megiddo is Judge Game

Why did Meg start this thread in the first place? Well, before it was the Club, it was The Megiddo is Judge Game, one of what was, initially, a crowded field of Winner is Judge threads during the heyday of MTGSalvation. (I am a MTGNews veteran but I cannot remember for the life of me if they existed on 'News, so I'll refer to them as mostly a Sally thing - which they were.)

Winner is Judge has always been a continuous challenge game almost exactly like Club Flamingo: Each round's winner is the person who determines the next challenge and judges the entries. The original one started falling off the front page of CCC&G so clones literally named things like "Another Winner is Judge Game" began to pop up, but they all had a similar problem: Users winning the challenges would sometimes disappear, leaving the game stranded. Some of them didn't even post new challenges. Megiddo had a simple idea that would revolutionize the concept: if a judge failed to materialize, he would just do it himself, and in his own inimitable way. This served as both insurance against abandoned challenges and incentive to, well, not have Megiddo judge. (Requiring IIWs in entry posts would come later, but not by much.)

The first challenge was "think armageddon" and make a mass removal spell, and the very first entry post was, fittingly for what the thread would later become, a %$#%, courtesy of Salvation user Shrapnel Clone, who hasn't posted in this greater community since 2012 but who made this immortal post exactly ten years ago today:
Cerebral Implosion 7BUU
Sorcery
Exile all cards from all libraries.
Draw a card.
'cause explosions are really messy.

BOOM!

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

And this placeholder for the animu girl challenge is the two thousandth reply

EDIT:

Cynthia Lattice-Chan 6
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem Maiden (M)
First strike
All spells, permanents, and cards are artifacts in addition to their other types and are all colors of clothes you're wearing.
At the beginning of your end step, if you put on a piece of clothing you haven't worn this game, put three charge or +1/+1 counters on target artifact.
Being ten feet tall and made of advanced organic metal is no excuse not to wear the latest fashions.
5/4

IIW: Mystery M:tG Theater 3000

NinjaCaterpie

In the spirit of CF's anniversary, I will also accept "Cards representing members of Club Flamingo, past and present" as a challenge.
Last edited by NinjaCaterpie 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”