[ZNR] Maro's Teaser/Hints

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Posted on Blogatog.
Before previews for Zendikar Rising officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I'm only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:

• A white creature that can make an opponent lose the game simply by attacking them no matter how much life they have

• A multicolor creature that lets you repeatedly reanimate permanents out of your opponent's graveyard for no mana

• Three creatures with five creature types

• An artifact granting +2/+2 to a subset of creatures that first appeared in Alpha

• X being used for a variable it's never been used for before

• a 6/6 artifact creature that costs 3 and a 7/5 artifact creature that can cost 3

• The return of four mana symbols that have each only ever been used on two cards before

• Lands that come with a choice you've never had before

• Targeted enchantment removal in black

• A red/white creature with a line of rules text that starts with "Whenever" and ends with "draw a card"

• A card with three different activated abilities that all copy something

Here are snippets of rules text, you'll see:

• "three plus"

• "different converted mana cost X or less"

• "equal to 20 minus"

• "Cowards can't block Warriors"

• "don't lose unspent red mana"

• "twice the number of equipment"

• "If it's the third time"

And finally, here are some creature type lines you'll see:

• Mouse

• Leviathan Crab

• Shapeshifter Rogue

• Demon Cleric

• Wurm Horror

• Hydra Horror

• Cat Horror

• Angel Wizard
SPOILER
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

I'm really glad this is back on a seemingly permanent basis now. If only we had the Orb of Insight...

• A white creature that can make an opponent lose the game simply by attacking them no matter how much life they have
Gotta be some kind of Angel with an alt-win condition relating to... IDK, a Barren Glory kind of thing? Or possibly an Ally that works if you control twenty or more Allies or some other ridiculous condition?

• A multicolor creature that lets you repeatedly reanimate permanents out of your opponent's graveyard for no mana
There's no specific thing that this has to be since, hey, the base creature could cost like nine mana. But I'm willing to speculate it's something to do with Wrexial.

• Three creatures with five creature types
I wonder if that's an "exactly five"? Or a nonkeyworded-changeling vertical cycle?

• An artifact granting +2/+2 to a subset of creatures that first appeared in Alpha
A mint Mudhole says it's Merfolk. This says "subset of creatures", not "creature type", so if it winds up NOT being a subtype, my best guess is creatures with flying.

• X being used for a variable it's never been used for before
This is really open-ended and I can't begin to think what it means.

• a 6/6 artifact creature that costs 3 and a 7/5 artifact creature that can cost 3
Not much to say here except that the drawback on that first one will probably be tremendously harsh.

• The return of four mana symbols that have each only ever been used on two cards before
These are twobrids - gotta be - but, uh... only four? Am I missing an instance when one of them was used outside of the three-mana cycle and Reaper King?

• Lands that come with a choice you've never had before
Ooooh, is this the ones that people have custom designed forever where you get to choose the land types?

• Targeted enchantment removal in black
It was about damn time - I didn't think they could do this with forced sacrifice alone.

• A red/white creature with a line of rules text that starts with "Whenever" and ends with "draw a card"
Please be legendary

• A card with three different activated abilities that all copy something
Spells, permanents, abilities?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
These are twobrids - gotta be - but, uh... only four? Am I missing an instance when one of them was used outside of the three-mana cycle and Reaper King?
Between this and the hints at 4 color Omnath, I'm guessing there's going to be a cycle of 4 color legends, since that's something people ask about a lot. One of those using 4 twobrid symbols would be a neat way to make it splashable

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Between this and the hints at 4 color Omnath, I'm guessing there's going to be a cycle of 4 color legends, since that's something people ask about a lot. One of those using 4 twobrid symbols would be a neat way to make it splashable
That makes a lot of sense. The thing with red mana not emptying is also probably one of the 4C Omnath's abilities, along with different bonuses for the other colors of mana.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

So White gets it's own version of Phage the Untouchable that doesn't punish you for not casting it? Should be interesting.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

AvalonAurora
Pronoun: they / them

Post by AvalonAurora » 3 years ago

Maybe the X variable that hasn't been used before could be a crew number? I don't think we've used X for crew on a vehicle before? Maybe Nahiri could create some kind of rideable thing with her lithomancy that has more effect the more power among the ridership?

A white creature that wins simply by attacking no matter how much life the opponent has? Couldn't that just be a reprint of Felidar Sovereign if you be funny about the wording there, since by attacking with it you can build up your own life with lifelink even if they block and eventually hit 40 life?

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

AvalonAurora wrote:
3 years ago
A white creature that wins simply by attacking no matter how much life the opponent has? Couldn't that just be a reprint of Felidar Sovereign if you be funny about the wording there, since by attacking with it you can build up your own life with lifelink even if they block and eventually hit 40 life?
You'd have to be VERY funny about that wording considering you can also win with the Sovereign by blocking with it, you don't have to attack or block at all to use the alt win, it doesn't happen right away, and it makes you win not individual opponents lose.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
I'm really glad this is back on a seemingly permanent basis now. If only we had the Orb of Insight...

Gotta be some kind of Angel with an alt-win condition relating to... IDK, a Barren Glory kind of thing? Or possibly an Ally that works if you control twenty or more Allies or some other ridiculous condition?
I'm glad as well,,

anyway, that white creature makes me curious.. could be the main win con of a deck.. or a deck could even be built around it if it is effective and easy to use.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 3 years ago

Black gets targeted enchantment removal? That was fast. Black only just got untargeted enchantment removal less than a year ago. I wonder how good this will be.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

I think the white creature is gonna win you the game if you attack while you have 1 life. Near-death experience throwback.

By the way, these trivia basically confirms a class tribal theme.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Arkmer wrote:
3 years ago
Black gets targeted enchantment removal? That was fast. Black only just got untargeted enchantment removal less than a year ago. I wonder how good this will be.
It's gonna cost you life, I am certain. Black will be third in enchantment removal after green (first) and white (second).
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Arkmer wrote:
3 years ago
It's gonna cost you life, I am certain. Black will be third in enchantment removal after green (first) and white (second).
It will also have a "an opponent controls" clause, to keep you from blowing up your own detrimental enchamtments.

dyd
Randomancer

Post by dyd » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Technically, also {12} and {15} have only been used twice in Magic's history :crazy:

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

dyd wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Technically, also {12} and {15} have only been used twice in Magic's history :crazy:
Yeah, but what would they be used on? We know there aren't any Eldrazi in the set.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Zazdor

Post by Zazdor » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
dyd wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, but what would they be used on? We know there aren't any Eldrazi in the set.
No Eldrazi explicitly, but we are seeing Horrors from Maro's list. Based on the creature types listed, I suspect they will appear in their respective colors, but perhaps we will see some remnants of Eldrazi (even though Emrakul is the one who caused mutations, not the two we last saw on Zendikar)...

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Zazdor wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
dyd wrote:
3 years ago

No Eldrazi explicitly, but we are seeing Horrors from Maro's list. Based on the creature types listed, I suspect they will appear in their respective colors, but perhaps we will see some remnants of Eldrazi (even though Emrakul is the one who caused mutations, not the two we last saw on Zendikar)...
Doubtful, since the Eldrazi are a specific type of entity, horrors do not cover it. The horrors are something else.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Zazdor wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago

Doubtful, since the Eldrazi are a specific type of entity, horrors do not cover it. The horrors are something else.
Emrakul's mutations in Eldritch Moon got the Horror type.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Zazdor wrote:
3 years ago

Emrakul's mutations in Eldritch Moon got the Horror type.
True, at least for some of them. Others were full on Eldrazi. There were a full 29 Eldrazi in Eldritch moon, some of which were the flip side of Horrors. The Horrors of Eldritch Moon appeared to be proto-Eldrazi, I doubt that is the case with Zendikar Rising. We should also remember that the Eldrazi that causes mutations (Emmy), pretty much left the plane almost immediately after their release.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy » 3 years ago

A friend of mine came up with an interesting solution to the mana symbols one. The idea is as follows:

The mana symbols that have only been used twice are the two-brids (, , , , ) and . ( is not one, contrary to what was asserted above -- it's been used three times, on Blightsteel Colossus, Blinkmoth Infusion, and It That Betrays.) Of course, only works if you're counting silver-bordered cards, but it's Mark Rosewater, of course he counts it.

The problem then, as other people have already pointed out, is: Why only four? If at least some two-brids are being used, shouldn't they all be used, making the total five (if it's just two-birds) or six (if is also used)?

Well... what if Maro were counting another card that wouldn't normally be counted? Specifically, Inzerva, Master of Insights? That would mean that and would, by that count, have actually been used *three* times. So, the only remaining mana symbols to have only been used twice would then be , , , and . Exactly four!

So, the idea then is that all the two-brids are in, as is ; but that and don't count towards Maro's hint due to having appeared on Inzerva, leaving four mana symbols that count towards Maro's hint.

The evidence against this theory is... would Maro really count Inzerva? That's not normally considered a real card; it doesn't even have a normal Magic back. The evidence for it is, nothing else seems to make a lot of sense...
Last edited by Sniffnoy 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

The most elegant solution to the twobrid puzzle is that there are four-colored legends and one of them has an activated ability that costs - let's arbitrarily say - {2/W}{2/U}{2/B}{2/R}. But if Inzerva is the key to the puzzle that was a fiendishly tricky clue, and I kinda hope it's the case.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Sniffnoy wrote:
3 years ago
A friend of mine came up with an interesting solution to the mana symbols one. The idea is as follows:

The mana symbols that have only been used twice are the two-brids (, , , , ) and . ( is not one, contrary to what was asserted above -- it's been used three times, on Blightsteel Colossus, Blinkmoth Infusion, and It That Betrays.) Of course, only works if you're counting silver-bordered cards, but it's Mark Rosewater, of course he counts it.

The problem then, as other people have already pointed out, is: Why only four? If at least some two-brids are being used, shouldn't they all be used, making the total five (if it's just two-birds) or six (if is also used)?

Well... what if Maro were counting another card that wouldn't normally be counted? Specifically, Inzerva, Master of Insights? That would mean that and would, by that count, have actually been used *three* times. So, the only remaining mana symbols to have only been used twice would then be , , , and . Exactly four!

So, the idea then is that all the two-brids are in, as is ; but that and don't count towards Maro's hint due to having appeared on Inzerva, leaving four mana symbols that count towards Maro's hint.

The evidence against this theory is... would Maro really count Inzerva? That's not normally considered a real card; it doesn't even have a normal Magic back. The evidence for it is, nothing else seems to make a lot of sense...
Likely interva doesn't count

And by 4 mana symbols they probably talking the 4-color legends omnath is learning white but no black in sight thus 4 symbols just that simple

Sniffnoy

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
The most elegant solution to the twobrid puzzle is that there are four-colored legends and one of them has an activated ability that costs - let's arbitrarily say - {2/W}{2/U}{2/B}{2/R}. But if Inzerva is the key to the puzzle that was a fiendishly tricky clue, and I kinda hope it's the case.
CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago

And by 4 mana symbols they probably talking the 4-color legends omnath is learning white but no black in sight thus 4 symbols just that simple
Well, you were right, someone thought to ask Maro about it, and he confirms that Inzerva does not count. So, that theory is gone.

I guess it's just 4 two-brids for some reason after all...? <shrug>
Last edited by Sniffnoy 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Sniffnoy wrote:
3 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago

Well, you were right, someone thought to ask Maro about it, and he confirms that Inzerva does not count. So, that theory is gone.

I guess it's just 4 two-brids for some reason after all...? &lt;shrug&gt;
I think omnath is not the only 4 color legend personally

And by the way

None of the cards teased are reprints which means it can't be the giant warrior

(Same with felidar with 4p life you win for the instant kill on attack)

Sniffnoy

Here's an idea: What if the twobrids are for things associated with the Eldrazi, so the missing one is white because there were basically no white Eldrazi?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Sniffnoy wrote:
3 years ago
Here's an idea: What if the twobrids are for things associated with the Eldrazi, so the missing one is white because there were basically no white Eldrazi?
There are no Eldrazi in Zen Rising. We know this, we were told this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”