NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Pronoun: he / him

Post by avatarz » 2 years ago

Gelatinous Cube 4
Creature — Ooze (R)
Flash
Whenever a creature blocks or becomes blocked by ~, tap that creature. It doesn't untap until ~ leaves the battlefield.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on each tapped creature they control.
0/4

IIW: Keep it simple

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Empowered Fireball XRR
Sorcery
Empowered Fireball deals X damage to any target, and half X damage to up to one other target.

IIW: Interesting Takes on Sagas

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Berserk Behir 2RR
Creature - Lizard Horror (R)
Haste, Protection from Dragons
When Berserk Behir enters the battlefield or attacks, it deals 3 damage to any target.
If an opponent controls a dragon, Berserk Behir must attack each turn.
4/2

IIW: A card design you'd love to have seen in Modern Horizons
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Protection Fighting Style 1W
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and is a Soldier in addition to its other types.
While an opponent is choosing targets as part of casting a spell they control or activating an ability they control, that player must choose enchanted creature if able.

Truefaith Paladin 1WW
Creature — Human Warrior (U)
When Truefaith Paladin enters the battlefield or attacks, if you have a full party, venture into the dungeon.
As long as you've completed a dungeon, Truefaith Paladin has double strike and lifelink.
2/2

IIW: Fighting styles
Protection is cute and flavourful. Paladin seems very hard to activate. Huge missed opportunity that you didn't make it a Cleric and a Warrior.
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Owlbear UG
Creature - Bear Bird
Reach, deathtouch
Owlbear enters the battlefield tapped with a loot counter on it.
Owlbear doesn't untap during your untap step as long as it has a loot counter on it.
q, Remove a loot counter from Owlbear: Create a Treasure token.
2/2

IIW: A character from a book you like
Hmm, there are a lot of words on this that add up to "When this enters the battlefield, create a Treasure token at the beginning of your next upkeep". It reads like a downside but it's actually all positive. I wouldn't really have pegged an Owlbear as the treasure hoarding type, but anything's possible I guess.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Galder's Tower 4
Legendary Artifact {R}
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Galder's Tower unless you pay 4.
At the beginning of your end step, draw a card.
You have hexproof.

IIW: large animals
This is cute. Represents the daily upkeep (though I'd probably have just used echo) and gives you time to think. I like it, but it also seems kind of... slow.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Bahamut, King of Dragons

Legendary Planeswalker - Bahamut (M)
Bahamut, King of Dragons is also platinum.
When Bahamut enters the battlefield, if you cast him, create seven 7/7 gold Dragon creature tokens with flying and defender.
+2: You draw two cards and gain 2 life.
-6: Exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls and all other nonland permanents that player controls with the same name as that permanent
-12: Gain control of all Dragons, then untap all Dragons. Search you library and graveyard for any number of Dragon creature cards and each other player's graveyard for any number of multicolored Dragon creature cards and put them onto the battlefield under you control. If you search your library this way, shuffle. Dragons you control gain haste until end of turn.
<8>
"You're are defeated; your dream that evil shall prevail is nothing but a fantasy, and it will be your final fantasy."

IIW: Drakes
so many words, so many questions. what is platinum? what is gold? should a wug card be able to Maelstrom Pulse? does that last ability even fit on a sorcery, much less a planeswalker?
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Keonid, Netherese Arcanist UU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (R)
When Keonid, Netherese Arcanis enters the battlefield, tap target creature.
2/2
--
Geas XUU
Sorcery - Adventure
Gain control of target creature with mana value X or less. If was spent to cast Geas, untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.

IIW: Graveyard Mechanics
Deeeeep cut. Both sides make sense, but I'm not a fan of MDFCs with no mechanical relation (yes, that means I hate every MDFC Wizards has printed for the last two sets)
mellifluoresce wrote:
2 years ago
Meteor Swarm
Instant (R)
Meteor Swarm deals 4 damage to each creature without haste.

IIW: Wordy cards
That's a cute way to represent a saving throw. Would've liked more damage.
2 years ago
Gelatinous Cube 4
Creature — Ooze (R)
Flash
Whenever a creature blocks or becomes blocked by ~, tap that creature. It doesn't untap until ~ leaves the battlefield.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on each tapped creature they control.
0/4

IIW: Keep it simple
Oh that's really cute. Invisibility, engulfing, acid. I love it. I don't know if I'd have it be colorless though.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Empowered Fireball XRR
Sorcery
Empowered Fireball deals X damage to any target, and half X damage to up to one other target.

IIW: Interesting Takes on Sagas
Fireball is an area spell :')
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Berserk Behir 2RR
Creature - Lizard Horror (R)
Haste, Protection from Dragons
When Berserk Behir enters the battlefield or attacks, it deals 3 damage to any target.
If an opponent controls a dragon, Berserk Behir must attack each turn.
4/2

Whoa that's a juicy attacker. It bolts TWICE the turn it enters AND hits as 4/2? That's... a bit insane, I feel.
Winner is Megiddo
next: large animals

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Deeeeep cut. Both sides make sense, but I'm not a fan of MDFCs with no mechanical relation (yes, that means I hate every MDFC Wizards has printed for the last two sets)
It's an Adventure card not an MDFC🙃 That's why the adventure half doesn't have a rarity and has the "Adventure" subtype. I'm sure it's unlikely this changes your evaluation of the card, but you did call the challenge "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms" after all.

chetoos

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Fireball is an area spell :')
Fireball is also an iconic magic card that WotC would likely want to reprint for the forgotten realms set, since it's an iconic D&D spell too, but it's too mechanically weird for modern design, so I went with an updated design using metamagic.

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Blastodon
Creature - Elephant (U)
When Blastodon enters the battlefield, destroy target noncreature permanent. That permanent's controller may have it deal 3 damage to any target of their choice
"You fool, don't attack the tusks! They're explo-".
4/4

Last edited by vishamon 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 2 years ago

Interplanar Ferrybeast
Creature - Beast Spirit (R)
When Interplanar Ferrybeast enters the battlefield, put a number of loyalty counters on target planeswalker you control equal to that planeswalker's starting loyalty.
Planeswalkercycling
5/5

IIW: Fable
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

The First Gargadon 6RR
Legendary Creature — Elder Beast (M)
Suspend 8—1R
Menace
Whenever you remove a time counter from The First Gargadon or it attacks, choose one—
•Remove a time counter from each nonlegendary card you own in exile with a time counter on it.
•Put a time counter on each nonlegendary permanent you control with at least one time counter on it.
11/9

IIW: Homarids
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Post by avatarz » 2 years ago

Gathering Beastion 4G
Creature — Turtle Lord (R)
Reach, vigilance
XX: You may put a creature card with toughness equal to or greater than its power from your hand onto the battlefield. X is equal to its toughness minus the difference between its power and its toughness.
2/7

IIW: Noncreatures beaters

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Basking Shark
5uu
Creature - Shark (C)
Basking Shark can't attack unless defending player has eight or more cards in their graveyard.
When Basking Shark dies, create a 5/5 blue Globster creature token with defender.
5/7

IIW: Resident Evil
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Ulka

Basking Megatherium 2GG
Creature - Sloth Beast
Trample
Basking Megatherium enters the battlefield tapped.
When Basking Megatherium enters the battlefield, it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
7/7

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Tulnira, the Writhing Tide (Rare)
5UU
Legendary Creature - Octopus
1/7
U: Tulnira, the Writhing Tide gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
When Tunira dies, create a number of 1/1 blue Tentacle creature tokens equal to its power.
U, Sacrifice a Tentacle: Shuffle Tulnira, the Writhing Tide from your graveyard into your library and draw a card. Activate only as a sorcery.
IIW: A card based on this art by Philippe Caza.
Show
Hide
Philippe Caza2.jpg
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

I will judge tomorrow. Get your large animals in.
MEG

Ulka

Devourer Ant1GRG
Creature - Insect
Haste, Trample, Devour 1
When Devourer Ant deals combat damage to an opponent, choose one:
• Create two 1/1 green Insect creature tokens.
• Destroy target Land.
2/2

IIW: a card to impress Meg

stille_nacht

Post by stille_nacht » 2 years ago

The Wandering World 6GGUU
Legendary Planeswalker - The Wandering World

+2 Create a 4/4 Rhino token with trample.
-3 Destroy up to one creature and up to one land. Gain 2 mana of any color for each permanent destroyed this way during your next main phase.
-15 Destroy all lands and creatures. For each permanent destroyed this way, create a 4/4 green Rhino token with trample, a 3/3 blue Shark token with islandwalk, a 2/2 white bird token with flying, or a 1/1 red lizard token with "when this creature dies, deal 1 damage to any target".

A beast the size of a world wanders through the multiverse, its appetite for death matched by its creation of life.
Loyalty 10

IIW: Fantasy Post-Apocalypse

chetoos

Leatherhead, emp Kaiju 4GRU
<Illuna, overloaded>
Legendary Creature - Beast Dinosaur Elemental
Ward 4, trample.
Whenever this creature mutates, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a nonland permanent card. Illuna deals damage equal to that card's mana value to target creature, then you put that card into your hand.
Mutate 3GRU
6/6

IIW: Interesting things to do with Sagas.

Megiddo
MEG

vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Blastodon
Creature - Elephant (U)
When Blastodon enters the battlefield, destroy target noncreature permanent. That permanent's controller may have it deal 3 damage to any target of their choice
"You fool, don't attack the tusks! They're explo-".
4/4

Of course the first thing I think about when I see this entry is Blastoderm. I'm tickled that this card's "blast" is a very different definition from Blastoderm's. My aesthetic sensibilities with this were 2GG for a 4/3 to mirror Bramblecrush, but that card isn't exactly a powerhouse (I recall it saw some play). As-is it's more of an Acidic Slime / Terastodon situation, which is a kind of card I like for sure. My knock on this is that the damage ability doesn't feel super green to me, especially given that you can blow up your own permanent to get a lightning bolt.
mellifluoresce wrote:
2 years ago
Interplanar Ferrybeast
Creature - Beast Spirit (R)
When Interplanar Ferrybeast enters the battlefield, put a number of loyalty counters on target planeswalker you control equal to that planeswalker's starting loyalty.
Planeswalkercycling
5/5

IIW: Fable
This is a funny one. It feels wildly overcosted, but thinking about this at, say, five mana... the scenario of curving a 4-drop into an ult on turn five is probably not especially palatable (Ajani Vengeant feels like a particularly egregious example, and that's off the top of my head). So eight, despite making this feel like a worse-than-intro deck rate, is probably the only safe cost for this. I wish it had slightly more upside so that you can cast an eight drop with a planeswalkerless board and still feel like you aren't wasting your time. Planeswalkercycling helps with that, of course, but sometimes I want to cast my giant fatty.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
The First Gargadon 6RR
Legendary Creature — Elder Beast (M)
Suspend 8—1R
Menace
Whenever you remove a time counter from The First Gargadon or it attacks, choose one—
•Remove a time counter from each nonlegendary card you own in exile with a time counter on it.
•Put a time counter on each nonlegendary permanent you control with at least one time counter on it.
11/9

IIW: Homarids
We're just slapping Elder on anything now, I see. This is pretty fun as a "suspend lord." I think now of a red/green(/blue?) legend with "commander suspend" where you can suspend it from the command zone. Maybe it gets an additional time counter for each time you've suspended it. Anyway, this card seems pretty fun.
2 years ago
Gathering Beastion 4G
Creature — Turtle Lord (R)
Reach, vigilance
XX: You may put a creature card with toughness equal to or greater than its power from your hand onto the battlefield. X is equal to its toughness minus the difference between its power and its toughness.
2/7

IIW: Noncreatures beaters
That's a big turtle. This ability is hilarious, though I think being able to put 0-power creatures onto the battlefield for free might be a bit much. I don't know what the dumbest card you can put in with this is, but I guarantee you this is abusable.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Basking Shark 5uu
Creature - Shark (C)
Basking Shark can't attack unless defending player has eight or more cards in their graveyard.
When Basking Shark dies, create a 5/5 blue Globster creature token with defender.
5/7

IIW: Resident Evil
I almost called out the typo, but no! A Globster is a totally really and totally gross thing. It's also super on flavor here. That's cool and I think you might have a fun moment where players (like I just did) say "what is a Globster?" and then see the token art. This is otherwise a straightforward card, but I don't think this works at common because of its large size and relative difficulty to deal with (imagine spending a premium removal spell or a double block on a 5/7 only to then have to deal with a 5/5).
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Basking Megatherium 2GG
Creature - Sloth Beast
Trample
Basking Megatherium enters the battlefield tapped.
When Basking Megatherium enters the battlefield, it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
7/7

I have a lot of entries for this IIW so I'm tempted to cheat, but let's go through the eval as normal.
The Megatherium in Magic really didn't hit on the "sloth" aspect, did it? Though Sloth isn't even a creature type... Anyway, I'm not sure that the payoff is worth the wait here. This feels less exciting than similar cards like Woolly Razorback or Slumbering Dragon, possibly because there's no "game" around it or counterplay.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Tulnira, the Writhing Tide (Rare)
5UU
Legendary Creature - Octopus
1/7
U: Tulnira, the Writhing Tide gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
When Tunira dies, create a number of 1/1 blue Tentacle creature tokens equal to its power.
U, Sacrifice a Tentacle: Shuffle Tulnira, the Writhing Tide from your graveyard into your library and draw a card. Activate only as a sorcery.
IIW: A card based on this art by Philippe Caza.
Show
Hide
Philippe Caza2.jpg
Art IIW and I can't see the art in the editor. A real mystery box for me.
I like this card. It's got a good bit going on and I think it would be enjoyable to play with. Something I was informed of recently, though: Octopus arms are called just that, and aren't referred to as tentacles. This breaks my immersion and I turn of the film immediately.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Devourer Ant1GRG
Creature - Insect
Haste, Trample, Devour 1
When Devourer Ant deals combat damage to an opponent, choose one:
• Create two 1/1 green Insect creature tokens.
• Destroy target Land.
2/2

IIW: a card to impress Meg
I think by now it should be possible to "game" me when I win, though I hope nobody pays enough attention to my judgments to do that. That would be weird.
I won't expound on the dangers of repeatable land destruction.
stille_nacht wrote:
2 years ago
The Wandering World 6GGUU
Legendary Planeswalker - The Wandering World
+2 Create a 4/4 Rhino token with trample.
-3 Destroy up to one creature and up to one land. Gain 2 mana of any color for each permanent destroyed this way during your next main phase.
-15 Destroy all lands and creatures. For each permanent destroyed this way, create a 4/4 green Rhino token with trample, a 3/3 blue Shark token with islandwalk, a 2/2 white bird token with flying, or a 1/1 red lizard token with "when this creature dies, deal 1 damage to any target".
A beast the size of a world wanders through the multiverse, its appetite for death matched by its creation of life.
Loyalty 10

I enjoy the concept here... it reminds me of the Planar Overlay as far as an entire Plane making its way onto another one. I have a couple of notes on the abilities: The -3 is possibly the exact opposite of a U/G ability, as neither color can destroy creatures in this way. The -15, though spectacular, might as well stop after letting you create Rhinos. I can't imagine doing any of the other options under any circumstances.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Leatherhead, emp Kaiju 4GRU
<Illuna, overloaded>
Legendary Creature - Beast Dinosaur Elemental
Ward 4, trample.
Whenever this creature mutates, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a nonland permanent card. Illuna deals damage equal to that card's mana value to target creature, then you put that card into your hand.
Mutate 3GRU
6/6

IIW: Interesting things to do with Sagas.
I've run out of steam, but adding Ward onto a creature with mutate is a smart choice to protect your investment.

Winner: Sporegorger Dragon
Next: Resident Evil
Last edited by Megiddo 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
MEG

Legend
Aethernaut

Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Something I was informed of recently, though: Octopus arms are called just that, and aren't referred to as tentacles. This breaks my immersion and I turn of the film immediately.
I knew I should've went with Squid, but I just couldn't resist the 1+7=8=Octopus.

I'm not sure why the image didn't show up. It isn't showing up on my iPhone, but it showed up on my PC desktop.

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

Megiddo
MEG

It shows up in your original post just fine! I always do my judging in a multiquote in the editor (which is why I don't suggest posting JUST a card render when I'm judging), and images don't show up there.
MEG

stille_nacht

Post by stille_nacht » 2 years ago

I enjoy the concept here... it reminds me of the Planar Overlay as far as an entire Plane making its way onto another one. I have a couple of notes on the abilities: The -3 is possibly the exact opposite of a U/G ability, as neither color can destroy creatures in this way. The -15, though spectacular, might as well stop after letting you create Rhinos. I can't imagine doing any of the other options under any circumstances.
Moat! Ha but yeah I was just messing around. I was trying to think of some kinda fight ability for the -3 but I was tired so just left it at destroy. The idea being it eats the creature and the land its standing on, couldn't come up with something elegant bleh. Anyway:

Dimitrescu 2BR
Creature - Legendary Vampire (M)

Trample
When Dimitrescu enters the battlefield, gain control of target human.
When Dimitrescu deals damage to a human, gain control of that human.

Wait. If she doesn't have that kind of magic, how did she enthrall Chris?

4/4

Legend
Aethernaut

Resident Evil (Rare)
2BB
Enchantment
You can't cast non-Zombie creature spells.
Whenever a non-Zombie creature enters the battlefield, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Whenever a non-Zombie creature dies, exile it and create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Welp, looks like my prompt didn't stimulate the imaginations as I hoped, which is surprising considering the breadth of monsters Resident Evil has to offer, most notably Zombies.

Ah well, better luck next time.
stille_nacht wrote:
2 years ago
Dimitrescu 2BR
Creature - Legendary Vampire (M)

Trample
When Dimitrescu enters the battlefield, gain control of target human.
When Dimitrescu deals damage to a human, gain control of that human.

Wait. If she doesn't have that kind of magic, how did she enthrall Chris?

4/4

Name drop of a villain from Resident Evil 8. The card itself is a perfectly serviceable vampire, although Lady Dimitrescu doesn't enthrall Chris or anyone in the game. Perhaps you meant Ethan, our 1st person view protagonist?
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Resident Evil (Rare)
2BB
Enchantment
You can't cast non-Zombie creature spells.
Whenever a non-Zombie creature enters the battlefield, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Whenever a non-Zombie creature dies, exile it and create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Hah! But isn't this incredibly potent since it triggers on your opponent's creatures and even tokens? Plus the "drawback" is negligible in a Zombie deck.

Alas, you forgot the IIW!

So although you submitted the more interesting card, the win goes to:

Winner: stille_nacht

Next IIW: Fantasy Post-Apocalypse
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Megiddo
MEG

Respect for the 2-entry judging, lol.

i had typed out, but not submitted, this partial entry:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ganado 2B
Creature — Zombie {U}
Undying
~ has __ as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/2
The Last Sliver WUBRG
Legendary Creature — Sliver {M}
Each Sliver card in your graveyard has mutate. The mutate cost is equal to its mana cost.
You may cast Sliver spells from your graveyard using their mutate ability.
7/7

IIW: Uh oh! R&D has decided late in development that Grim Tutor is too good to reprint, and we need a replacement—fast! Fill the slot! (The card should be a black Mythic that fits alphabetically between Grasp of Darkness and Hooded Blightfang—Other elements of the card are up to you.)
Last edited by Megiddo 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
MEG

Legend
Aethernaut

New Beginnings (Mythic)
2BRG
Enchantment
When New Beginnings enters the battlefield, destroy all lands.
Players may play basic land cards from their graveyards
You may play an additional land each turn.

IIW: entropy counters (A permanent is exiled when its entropy counters exceed its mana value.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”