Cube of Legend

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Suffice it to say, each and every disparate cube embodies a unique limited meta. With that in mind, Cube of Legend is all about cards behaving badly. That means they're low quality or they break the rules of Magic's contemporary color pie or both.

Each and every Magic format is greater than the sum of its parts. So how much more useless would a cube be if all of its cards were useless? Why not just sleeve up 360 Wastes and call them a cube? Obvious Answer: Because no one would play it. And the same would go for a cube consisting of too many useless cards. Hence, the challenge to creating and curating a cube like this is to include enough cards that drafters will value, and therefore maindeck, over a Wastes. But only just barely.

That's right, despite some dubious motivations, Cube of Legend has been created and curated with a purpose:
To induce cringing provide a novel draft and play experience by forcing challenging drafters to play with garbage discern the relative and contextual strength of cards that suck are considered by many to be among the weirdest and worst ever printed.

Cube of Legend still has a long way to go in terms of curating based on draft and play data. I still hope to eventually develop unconventional archetypes within the immutable constraints of "weird and worst".
BANNED
Show
Hide
Ante cards because I own all the cards.
Narrow cards, Niche cards, and Irrelevant cards because they're useless.
Adamant cards, Conspiracy cards, and Hoser cards because they warp draft.
Uncards because that's just a different cube entirely.
Good cards, Normal cards, and Vanilla cards because they're neither the weirdest nor the worst.
RESTRICTED
Show
Hide
Defender cards, Microtext cards, and Confusing cards because they're time consuming.
Random cards and Hug because they're frequently frustrating.
Last edited by Legend 2 years ago, edited 352 times in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Tags:

Legend
Aethernaut

A possible, long-term goal for this cube is to grow it into a 720 cube and develop some loose, janky archetypes, such as Gruul skies, Selesnya reanimator. If you know of any cards that are, in order of preference, bizarre, bad - or best of all, both - please post it.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Legend 3 years ago, edited 18 times in total.

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

Legend
Aethernaut

Oh no! This thread has exactly 666 views! Quick, someone view it!
Last edited by Legend 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 3 years ago

cool cube, legend

there are some weird cards i've thought would be interesting to include in a cube, here are my suggestions:

BLUE

Pendrell Flux and Mana Chains are two creature-taxing auras that seem interesting, hard to judge their power level but probably not too strong given the choice they give to the opponent

Mark of Eviction is a cool fun card that's not too strong, repeatable but slow, and versatile. could combo with Floodgate

Breaking Wave? definitely both weird and bad

Energy Tap could easily be too powerful for your cube, but i've always wanted to try it out as a blue ritual

WHITE

Force Bubble is a nice take on like an energy shield, not sure if the power level matches your cube

Equal Treatment is interesting and i've always wanted to try it out, in a weenie deck with lots of 1 power creatures it could actually be a booster, otherwise an ok damage reduction spell with cantrip

GREEN

Magnify doesn't seem like it would do much, but in a creature swarm deck it can give the caster a subtle advantage

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Cube of Legend is finished! Well, as "finished" as a cube can be. There are tens of thousands of cards in Magic. While I know many of them, I do not know them all. So if you're reading this, please please please check out the complete cube list in the OP, and if you see any that aren't the weirdest or the worst, let me know. TYIA

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
if you see any that aren't the weirdest or the worst
I worry the balance between Wierdest and Worst is too far on some of these.

Looking at white: Preacher, Witch Hunter, and Zealot il-Vec are downright good cards. Preacher and Witch Hunter are definitely weird, but in a land of Iron Tusk Elephants and Ignoble Soldiers, I wonder if they're too good? I question Zealot's inclusion in general. It's power isn't always apparent, but it's as practically a Prodigal Pyromancer, and I wouldn't think of it as weird (although my blinders might be up since I run it in Pauper Rebels). Loyal Sentry and Abu Ja'far are also strong blockers.

Basically.. are you ok with some of the cards being bombs while others are duds? Is that part of the point — being able to discern the power cards that aren't immediately apparent? If so, how do we handle its replay value when people get the hang of it?

I've been slowing amassing a similar list, and I'm very curious.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cube Lists”