Slicer, No Slicing! Midrange-Control Slicer

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

NOTE: I don't maintain this here all the time, latest decklist is: https://deckbox.org/sets/3388691

Slicer, No Slicing! Midrange-Control Slicer

Slicer, No Slicing!
Approximate Total Cost:

This is my take on a Slicer shell, where *ideally* we drop slicer and equip him in the same turn instead of dropping him and sending him off to the races. This deck is bad, and really in flux. It's fun as heck though.

It's got a little bit more non-equipment card draw and a bit more midrange/interactive elements, and a backup gameplan of Twinflame-Dualcaster and Radiant Performer shenanigans (and of course sword beatdowns with someone other than Slicer).

Going to do a lot of refining as I play this, but people get exhausted playing against it since it applies so much pressure so it'll probably be a while. If there are any absolute must have cards I've missed lemme know !
Last edited by pokken 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

One interesting note: I don't see most slicer decks running Sword of Truth and Justice. I think this is a pretty big mistake. This card gets absolutely out of control with doublestrike;

In one rotation around the table assuming my math/counting work, you equip Slicer with sword and:
* hit someone for 5 (slicer ends at 7 power, 3+2, and one trigger for +2 counters)
* next person gets transformed slicer, who FS's for 7, then for 9 (end, slicer is 11 power)
* next person gets slicer and hits for for 11, 13 (ends at 15 power), someone is dead (presumably the next person in turn order to avoid getting killed on the crackback)
* next person gets slicer and hits for 15/17, ending at 19 if for some dumb reason that person is not dead
* You get Slicer back at 19 power and lethal whoever's left.

There are not a lot of cards that scale power like that while also giving protection from two very common removal colors. You can also use it to develop your own board after slicer is 11 power, since that's lethal.

---

A gameplay comment unrelated, I have noticed that Slicer really needs to kill the right people first, because once it gets down to heads up you can't really transform slicer anymore so he hits half as hard. This *can* be OK, but you need to really pick the right person.

I lost a game because I could not safely swing Slicer into Void Winnower. So I may need more unblockable effects or some more pump effects. It was really unfortunate because I had tons of interaction but it was all even :P Man I hate Void Winnower.

pokken

Ruiner wrote:
11 months ago
How much of a gambler are you? Furnace of Rath and Dictate of the Twin Gods could both get a little silly with the pressure applied.
Definitely worth thinking on, I didn't think they did enough else. Honestly the deck needs more card draw than anything.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

I still have this deck; it has been updated some. I'll put the deckbox link in the OP.

Deck got a really nice start this game of rite of flame into jeska's will into turn 2 slicer + sticky fingers, and then was able to ride that to victory. By the time everyone was at 18 slicer damage (lol) they tried to remove slicer I had Tibalt's Trickery and Dualcaster Mage backup to stuff the removal + counterspell. And that was the scoops.

I'm still unsure if I did the right thing of jeska's will for just mana, but it felt correct to jam for the turn 2 Sticky Fingers for 8 treasures, since I had Insurrection and Daretti, Scrap Savant so figured I could rebuild. I didn't wind up drawing anything but counterspells and Lotus Petal unfortunately.

Ultimately I think I should have just turn 2 slicer'd then turn 3 jeska's will'd for the full monte but whatever :D

This deck is super fun and if it didn't stress people out so much I would run it a lot more. The counterspell/interaction suite is constantly surprising to people, to the point I want to add a couple more.

The biggest thing the deck struggles with is cards, so I did add Wrenn's Resolve and could probably stand to add one or two more card advantage elements. It feels like I am a hair shy of equipment and often don't have something good to suit up with, and I think the answer to that is slightly higher velocity.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”