Elsha of the Infinite: Top Control

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

In my neverending quest for The Perfect Control Deck, I decided to go outside of my UBx comfort zone and explore some other options. I eventually landed on Elsha of the Infinite and have been very impressed so far in my limited testing. In essence, the deck revolves around the Elsha and Sensei's Divining Top interaction.

That's it. That's the deck.

It's such a powerful interaction that cEDH lists have been made of it with cost reducers like Helm of Awakening, but that's boring. I want to run my opponents out of options and then beat them to death with my monk, like Garfield intended. To that end, I included an absurd removal and counterspell suite backed up by a density of card draw and tutor spells that keep everything flowing. The deck is ridiculously resource hungry, so I included 11 ramp spells.

Anyway, here's my second third pass at the list:

Top Control

Sensei's Divining Top: 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Concerns:

I think I'm running too many lands? 36 mana producers + Maze is a big throttle for Elsha, but the control player in me has a really difficult time playing with less. If this was a more combo-centric list that didn't anticipate games going longer than 4 turns, then yeah, fewer lands would be great, but like I said, this is a control deck. Hitting land drops is absolutely vital in order to keep up with the table and eventually run them out of options. Still, even with Top and lots of cantrips, I suspect there are times where you stall out and hit a glut of lands and can't progress your gameplan very effectively.

On the other hand, I've found that the best way to play the deck so far is to be judicious with your use of Elsha. Don't play her if you anticipate a board wipe, obviously, but you want to make sure she isn't the most threatening creature on the board or else she's going to walk face first into retirement. Similarly, since Top is ridiculously good here, you may want to avoid dropping it until absolutely necessary. While it's notoriously difficult to remove, and you have a couple of ways to recur it, it's just so threatening that you may draw unwanted attention.

Running a control deck with so few defensive resources and a reasonably threatening commander is sure to draw a lot of attention, so I included Heliod's Intervention as a way to buffer my life total in the late game without it being a completely dead card otherwise.

Again, I'm worried about running Elsha as my sole win condition, but here we are again with me building a dumb, commander-centric deck without creatures.
Last edited by TheGildedGoose 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Well well well, if they didn't reprint Elsha of the Infinite in non-foil. How exciting! It inspired me to revisit this list and see if anyone had any criticisms or concerns. It looks pretty solid to me, other than being way too commander-centric as well as threatening, but I'm reasonably okay with explaining that I'm not a combo deck to players.

Anyway, the changes from the original decklist are irrelevant, so, here she is.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Submerge might be worth a gander, since it should almost always be free.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
I'm always turned off by these conditional cards. Yeah, the likelihood that I'm playing against someone in green is extremely high, but there also exists the possibility that I have to pay through the nose for a lapse effect. I'm also not sure what I would replace. Maybe one of Into the Roil/Blink of an Eye? I'm quite fond of those, however, so it would be a hard cut for me.

In other news, just played a test game online where I won with two cards left in my deck. Elsha of the Infinite + Sensei's Divining Top + Whirlwind of Thought is a hell of a drug.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
I'm always turned off by these conditional cards. Yeah, the likelihood that I'm playing against someone in green is extremely high, but there also exists the possibility that I have to pay through the nose for a lapse effect. I'm also not sure what I would replace. Maybe one of Into the Roil/Blink of an Eye? I'm quite fond of those, however, so it would be a hard cut for me.

In other news, just played a test game online where I won with two cards left in my deck. Elsha of the Infinite + Sensei's Divining Top + Whirlwind of Thought is a hell of a drug.
I'd say test it in the Into the Roil slot, the art on Blink of an Eye is waaaaaay better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”