Titania, Protector of Argoth

PrimevalCommander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 6 months ago

Titania Lands is an explosive land-synergy deck that was birthed from my love of lands. After looking at many multi-color commanders I realized there would be too many cards I wanted to play, so I need to get a little more restrictive to breed creativity. Though it's not like green land decks are unique in any way. Titania has now become one of my more powerful decks and my most explosively aggressive deck by far.

It is basically a ramp deck focused on re-buying fetch lands and making creatures with Titania for the beats. Key cards to the deck to bring out the explosive wins include Gaea's Cradle, for obvious reasons, and Concordant Crossroads. A common "Big Play" is to have Titania out, cast Scapeshift, hopefully with Elemental Bond or adjacent, make 8+ dudes, draw 8+ cards, Cast Concordant Crossroads for mass haste and swing for 50 damage. Any further set up with a Cradle can dump a Nissa, Ascended Animist into play and turn that into 150 damage with little-to-no telegraphing. When players say "Just Play Board Wipes", this is the deck that requires a board wipe 3 turns in a row in order to slow it down.

Splendid Reclamation and World Shaper create little mini-combos with the land sac cards like Sylvan Safekeeper to give me a huge boost in board power with no downside outside of getting countered, which I watch very carefully for. I heavily prioritize Elemental Bond type draw because of this synergy easily allowing me to draw 10 cards in one burst. These big burst draw turns is why I have Mox Diamond in the deck. Drawing 10-20 cards can draw me into Mox Diamond + Concordant Crossroads to get me the mana I need for crossroads even if I tapped out for the big play. I have killed the table this way with only Garruk's Packleader, a Gaea's Cradle, and some forests. Cast Titania, Protector of Argoth, draw, cast Scapeshift, sac 10 forests, make 10 dudes, draw 10 cards, tap Cradle for 12 mana, cast Greater Good, sac tokens look for Concordant Crossroads + Overwhelming Stampede (now Nissa) for a table kill. Yes, I know, Cradle is busted, oh well.

Anyway I enjoy the churn of lands, making relevant tokens, turning them into card draw, which feeds more lands, and attacking for big damage.

Titania Lands
Approximate Total Cost:

Favorite Cards
Scapeshift, I mean, it is the most perfect card for this deck.
Concordant Crossroads wins me many games and helps me push damage around board wipes
Realms Uncharted, quadruple land tutor that are all trivially accessible to this deck. If only I had more copies of Boseiju, Who Endures.
Command Beacon keeps the Titania loop flowing
Garruk's Uprising & friends: trample + tons of card draw, yes!

Notable exclusion: Craterhoof Behemoth, due to power constraints. Don't @ me about Cradle, it's belongs in this deck :)
Last edited by PrimevalCommander 4 hours ago, edited 8 times in total.

Tags:

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 month ago

Few updates with new cards. Nothing profound here lately.

IN Aftermath Analyst >> OUT Tilling Treefolk. I'll take more Splendid Reclamation type effects, and Treefolk was a bit weak. Solid swap in my opinion.
IN Song of the Dryads >> OUT Kenrith's Transformation. More permanent answer here over K.T. I just never purchased a Song of Dryads until now.
IN Deserted Temple|83402 >> OUT Deserted Temple|20115. Cosmetic Upgrade

Still pondering: Escape Tunnel and Scute Swarm. These two will likely come in when I find a good swap. I can't afford to go below 20 forests so Escape Tunnel must displace another useful land. Oran-Rief, the Vastwood or High Market since I don't have to lean on World Shaper as much. Scute Swarm probably needs to displace either Terastodon (the memories :grin: ) or World Breaker as two top-end fatties with naturalize stapled on. T-nasty is the prime candidate because World Breaker's exile clause has come in handy a time or two, but the multiple targets might be more attractive. Cool to have World Breaker and World Shaper in the deck :)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 weeks ago

Traded in some cards toward a Finale of Devastation|84584, so that comes in to replace Chord of Calling. Chord is instant speed, but Finale is 1 mana cheaper, can tutor from the graveyard, and scales better in the late game.

IN Finale of Devastation >> OUT Chord of Calling
IN Scute Swarm >> OUT Terastodon: I like the exile clause of World Breaker, and the additional targets of T-nasty just make more enemies than friends. I probably don't need either of those effects at 7+ mana, but World Breaker has some recursion ability if I'm desperate. Though I may only have 2 lands that could make to activate it.

Next step: Looking for a spot for Outcaster Trailblazer as Elemental Bond #5. Two of these printed in a year is crazy as these are the best draw engines I could ask for here.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 hours ago

Few changes and a little land utility to discuss.

IN Force of Vigor|97680 >> OUT Krosan Grip: Sad day to pull the last Krosan Grip from a deck, but casting for without split second is going to be more useful than casting for with it. Thanks for the reprint Thunder Junction!

IN Outcaster Trailblazer >> OUT Greenwarden of Murasa. Greenwarden is a lot of mana for a regrowth, I might miss the recursion, but not when I'm casting Trailblazer for 1/2 the mana and drawing tons of cards instead. Other option was Regal Force, but I like the play with Natural Order for a hand refill.

IN Smuggler's Surprise >> OUT Heroic Intervention. Probably a downgrade in overall power, but Smuggler's protects my beefy boys and gives a few other abilities to work with. Nothing profound, but worth a try anyway. I know all my engine guys are typically under 4 power, but it will protect any alpha strike I do and maybe a little card advantage in an emergency. The first time I lose Ramunap Excavator + Azusa, Lost but Seeking Heroic is probably coming back in :smirk: . Doesn't protect a board full of Scute's either. Hmmm, I'll ponder this.

IN Arid Archway >> OUT Oran-Rief, the Vastwood. Oran doesn't get a ton of play, but making my Elementals 4 toughness instead of 3 is relevant. I'm not sure about this one, but mainly I wanted a way to reset Gaea's Cradle after a Scapeshift. Really that is the only purpose. Resets Mosswort Bridge too. Very corner case of bouncing itself with Azusa, Lost but Seeking in play to net extra landfall triggers I guess.

heridfel
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by heridfel » 3 hours ago

Have you considered other Titania (Titania, Voice of Gaea) and Argoth, Sanctum of Nature as part of your 99 as another method of recurring lands from the graveyard en masse? Even pre-meld, she helps keep your life total up and she's big enough to trigger the card draw elements looking for power 3. You also have enough land and creature search that you can usually find the other half of the combo once you have the first part. If she distracts people and uses up their targeted creature destruction or board wipes, so much the better, since the beater-body is not your deck's goal anyway.

I also like Green Sun's Zenith more than Birthing Pod in your deck, since you will usually have plenty of mana to use it. It has the bonus of being able to serve as a poor man's mana ramp in the early game for X=0 and searching for Dryad Arbor. I know Birthing Pod is technically reusable, but my impression with my mono-green deck is that it gets a lot of hate for a card which requires me to sacrifice a creature, limits what I can find with it, and costs life if I want it out quickly.

Part of me wants to find a deck where Bristly Bill, Spine Sower works well, but I am not sure that this deck is it. He may be too slow and small on his own. On the other hand, in combination with Avenger of Zendikar, those plants could get huge.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”