Dosan, Controlling the Falling Leaf

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

I've been on a kick recently rebuilding some of my old EDH decks and updating them with more recent cards. So this is the majesty of my Old Dosan Control Deck adjusted once again. If you have any ideas of cards that could be fun for Green control please let me know. I've been eyeing Singing Tree and Willow Satyr but they are a tad to expensive currently for me to justify them until I have this deck in rotation for a bit longer. I am currently trying to keep the creature tutors down a little bit due to I feel like every green deck I build becomes too toolboxy when I don't want them to be.

Change log
Show
Hide
10/5/20
Show
Hide
Cuts:
1 Forest
1 Curious Herd
1 Krosan Grip
1 Nature's Claim
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Krosan Restorer
1 Ichneumon Druid
1 Veil of Summer
1 Arachnogenesis
1 Exploration

Adds:
Glacial Chasm
Spike Weaver
Seasons Past
Kamahl, fist of krosa
Thragtusk
Primal Order
Bramblecrush
Regal Force
Caustic Caterpillar
Viridian Zealot
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I like Glacial Chasm in this deck, you can even Crop Rotation for it.

I'm digging Painter's Servant + Grindstone as another win con in this deck. The reason is that Servant specifically naming Black makes Lifeforce, Nature's Wrath, Reap, Elephant Grass great. The Nature's Wrath would be symmetrical but you have lots of token makers so can get around it fairly easily.

Caustic Caterpillar and Seal of Primordium are excellent with Dosan the Falling Leaf to give yourself instant speed removal.

I like Kenrith's Transformation over Lignify as it draws you a card.

I'd play Spike Weaver. I feel like your instant speed Fogs might be a bit too much of a nonbo with Dosan the Falling Leaf.

Nissa, Who Shakes the World over Vernal Bloom so that you don't fuel other Green decks and you can also work towards putting all your lands into play and indestructible at that.

I do think the deck lacks card draw or more ways to gain resources in general.
Beast Whisperer, Ohran Frostfang, Eidolon of Blossoms, Oakhame Adversary, Regal Force are going to be welcome additions.
Temur Sabertooth bouncing Regal Force is one of my fav big draw multiple times things to do in mono-green.
Of note Sabertooth could bounce some of your enchantment creatures for multiple draws off Beast Whisperer, Eidolon of Blossoms, Argothian Enchantress. So for example bounce Destiny Spinner to draw cards if you are step up.

Garruk, Primal Hunter to draw cards, plus he is another win condition.

This deck looks pretty grindy so Seasons Past can be an all star in games that see a lot of back and forth.

Growing Rites of Itlimoc // Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun is a good ramp card and even if you don't flip it until a later date, it replaces itself and another enchantment for Argothian Enchantress (and Eidolon of Blossoms).

As far as cuts for cards I suggested
Biogenic Ooze - deck has plenty of win cons.
Ichneumon Druid - seems very situational to do damage, if at all.
Dawnstrider, Constant Mists, Arachnogenesis - Glacial Chasm and Spike Weaver take up these roles instead.
Gaea's Touch - Maybe if you have Oracle Mul-Daya in the deck, but otherwise your actual draw in the deck is still marginal even after my suggested additions.
Krosan Restorer - mehh
Curious Herd - the deck has enough win cons and has a nice handle on artifacts, so you don't want to be punished for low artifact count games.
Skullwinder - Seasons Past instead.
Dungrove Elder, Timber Protector, Wickerbough Elder - Caustic Caterpillar and Seal of Primordium will take up the role of Wickerbough and the Treefolk theme is too narrow. I get that you can make Forests creatures with Destiny Spinner but again narrow.

Ulka

Thanks for the ideas!

I swore I had made a cut to a forest for Glacial Chasm but the deck builder must have missed that change.

Painter's Servant and combo are one I hadn't considered prior to your post. I'm not sure I'd want to run it personally as I'm hating on artifacts as hard as I am but I do own both cards so I can always test it out for free which is nice.

Caustic Caterpillar is one I have no idea where all my copies went but I do have a Viridian Zealot laying around which I think I will make space for as it also helps with Nykthos' devotion ramp.

Spike Weaver is one I swore was like 30 bucks but I just noticed it was 5 bucks so that has been ordered. Kenrith's Transformation is one That I was waiting until I found another copy in my stuff to add to the list.

I REALLY dislike Nissa, Who Shakes the World as a card so i wont be playing it. I know vernal is worse but Aesthetically I really hate Nissa.

As for Card Draw, I'll think on it. I'm trying to make the deck feel more classic for me which both Beast Whisperer and Ohran Frostfang Both are cards that I'm not keen to add, even though they are very powerful. Same can be said for Growing Rites of Itlimoc // Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun. Seasons Past however I will be adding as I ordered a copy with my Spike Weaver.

On an unrelated note: I found Arboria and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa in an old binder so I will be making adjustments for them also as solid ways to add control and finishing power.

Ulka

Changes for 10/5/2020

Cuts: Adds: Notes: Most are were noted earlier as future changes in the post above but I found a Thragtsuk in a binder which I want in here and otherwise the only notable cube I think i need to make note of why its cut is Exploration which I couldn't find a copy for the deck in my stuff so I must have sold my 4th copy. Shrug

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”