Sliver Queen Tokens

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

I own a Gaea's Cradle, have had it for years. I also own some sets of opposing color dual lands, picked them up when they were $10 a land...hasn't been that way for a looooong time! So, when I built my first edh after returning to the format after a 10 year layoff, my first deck naturally became Sliver Queen, which I have also owned for years, and put such things in. At first, I didn't put the Cradle in, felt it was patently broken (it is), but eventually added it because friends were pulling out infinite combos and other degenerate stuff, so why not? The deck has evolved significantly over the years, and received its fair share of budgetary love, though I will probably need to revise mana now that I'm looking at it critically again. Nevertheless, what you see is the current, fully existing decklist, and it is all about tokens, more tokens, and the broken things you can do with them without going infinite (I hate infinite). There are 32 ways to create tokens, and I still have a few more to consider. Avenger of Zendikar and Ezuri's Predation are two cards I'll put in, as they are both straight-up applicable theme-wise. Craterhoof Behemoth recently went into my "Mayael the Anima - Of Gods and Monsters" deck, and there's really no reason to not put it in here. I already have Mirror Entity and Overwhelming Stampede, and Craterhoof is situationally always better in almost any metric, and the deck WILL run independent of a Cradle. The last game I played with it, I had a normal mana base and ended the game by casting Descent of the Dragons to create something like 80 points of flying dragons in 2-headed giant...we won. So, it can be quite explosive. But I also run a bunch of token generators that only get more powerful with the Cradle and Xenagos, the Reveler as more critters are in play, along with kill spells like Torment of Hailfire and Exsanguinate. I like a mix of spell-based, and creature-based token generation, though, so that I have non-1/1 bodies in addition to the token hordes. Grave Titan, Prossh, Skyraider of Kher, Ant Queen, and Mycoloth are all handy examples.

So, other than the three adds I mentioned above, I'm putting this up for debate to see:
1. Is there ever really too much when it comes to tokens, or should I pare back some of the forms and diversify something else? I guess mana is a good starting point, as the lands are admittedly light.
2. Since I recover from sweepers pretty well, and will add another sweeper myself with Ezuri's Predation, is there something else I'm maybe not considering?
3. I intentionally avoid things like Doubling Season and instead just put more token generators, as I don't like having to cast a ton of stuff that can pile up in my hand but not actually have tokens to bring out in a game that they can affect. I hate that.
4. I'm not opposed to goodstuff, so things like Cyclonic Rift or Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite are not off the table.
5. This is already one of the strongest decks in my group, so this isn't a "help me fix this" sort of thing. I just love my first deck, I'm throwing it open to see if anyone has ideas of making it better, and I appreciate any ideas. Hey, my friends have degenerate stuff like Tiamat dragon combos, too, and I have some fun decks like LotR precons, so it's not all oppression all the time! :evil:

Sliver Queen Tokens

Decklist

Commander 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 months ago

I'll throw out a few comments just browsing the decklist. Do with them what you will. I don't know your budget or desired changes to the deck. Tried to dump a bunch of card suggestions just for ideas. I'm not criticizing anything about the list.

The land base has too many tapped lands. And having several tap lands + bounce lands leads to painfully slow mana development. Look into Check Lands (cheap) like Glacial Fortress and Rootbound Crag, throw in the 4-6 green Triomes Jetmir's Garden Spara's Headquarters, Ziatora's Proving Ground , Ketria Triome , Indatha Triome , Zagoth Triome. Pump up your forest searchers Skyshroud Claim, Nature's Lore, and Three Visits and you have Excellent fixing on a budget. The Battlebond Duals are also very useful in place of check lands depending on budget.

You might think about throwing in a couple pieces of board protection, since going wide will draw the board wipes regularly. I know you said you recover well, but why recover when you can turn your opponent's wipes into wincons with a Clever Concealment or Galadriel's Dismissal, maybe a Heroic Intervention or Flawless Maneuver or Grand Crescendo which makes tokens!

My opinion is there are too many one-shot token makers and not enough recurring token makers. Drop some of the less efficient sorcery token makers and search for some enchantments, and other permanents that make tokens, survive creature wipes to reduce your investment on the rebuild. Felidar Retreat, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Assemble the Legion, Scepter of Celebration maybe, Sliver Queen is 7/7. I don't see a Scute Swarm, arguably one of the best stand-alone token makers available today. Avenger of Zendikar should windmill slam into this deck. Phabine, Boss's Confidant is my commander of the Cabaretti precon and actually pulls a lot of weight with draw, token making, and haste.

What is Exanguinate and Torment of Hailfire doing for your theme? These just seem out of place when another overrun may be more on-theme and a more enjoyable finish. I know these rely on having tokens, but dropping a big drain spell seems anticlimactic in a token deck. Akroma's Will is a good combat-based wincon. Moonshaker Cavalry for "White-hoof". Champion of Lambholt is cheap and effective.

On theme board wipes that are asymmetrical Martial Coup and Hour of Reckoning

Lastly, more card draw. perhaps some Shamanic Revelation, Rishkar's Expertise, Vivien's Stampede (pump too), Camaraderie , Tocasia's Welcome Bennie Bracks, Zoologist, Welcoming Vampire, Rumor Gatherer does well for me, Collective Unconscious and more...

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

Tendershoot Dryad and Illustrious Wanderglyph are beefcake one card wincons for tokens that I am a big fan of.

Personally I am a huge fan of Cryptolith Rite effects for mana in token decks. Song of Freyalise as well.

Boros_Blendo

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
2 months ago
The land base has too many tapped lands. And having several tap lands + bounce lands leads to painfully slow mana development. Look into Check Lands (cheap) like Glacial Fortress and Rootbound Crag, throw in the 4-6 green Triomes Jetmir's Garden Spara's Headquarters, Ziatora's Proving Ground , Ketria Triome , Indatha Triome , Zagoth Triome. Pump up your forest searchers Skyshroud Claim, Nature's Lore, and Three Visits and you have Excellent fixing on a budget. The Battlebond Duals are also very useful in place of check lands depending on budget.

You might think about throwing in a couple pieces of board protection, since going wide will draw the board wipes regularly. I know you said you recover well, but why recover when you can turn your opponent's wipes into wincons with a Clever Concealment or Galadriel's Dismissal, maybe a Heroic Intervention or Flawless Maneuver or Grand Crescendo which makes tokens!

My opinion is there are too many one-shot token makers and not enough recurring token makers. Drop some of the less efficient sorcery token makers and search for some enchantments, and other permanents that make tokens, survive creature wipes to reduce your investment on the rebuild. Felidar Retreat, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Assemble the Legion, Scepter of Celebration maybe, Sliver Queen is 7/7. I don't see a Scute Swarm, arguably one of the best stand-alone token makers available today. Avenger of Zendikar should windmill slam into this deck. Phabine, Boss's Confidant is my commander of the Cabaretti precon and actually pulls a lot of weight with draw, token making, and haste.

What is Exanguinate and Torment of Hailfire doing for your theme? These just seem out of place when another overrun may be more on-theme and a more enjoyable finish. I know these rely on having tokens, but dropping a big drain spell seems anticlimactic in a token deck. Akroma's Will is a good combat-based wincon. Moonshaker Cavalry for "White-hoof". Champion of Lambholt is cheap and effective.

On theme board wipes that are asymmetrical Martial Coup and Hour of Reckoning

Lastly, more card draw. perhaps some Shamanic Revelation, Rishkar's Expertise, Vivien's Stampede (pump too), Camaraderie , Tocasia's Welcome Bennie Bracks, Zoologist, Welcoming Vampire, Rumor Gatherer does well for me, Collective Unconscious and more...
Well, that's certainly a pretty big list of stuff. First off, thank you for responding. I appreciate the time you took. As to the suggestions, yes you have touched on some things I internally debate all the time, and some I hadn't thought. As to lands, I just paid like stupid amounts of money for Jetmir's Garden for a different deck. You touched on some great suggestions I recently put into play for another deck, and you just beat me to the analysis on this deck's mana. 100% agree on the conclusions, but I need to look at the budget-budget suggestions and go from there! :rofl: :omg:

I have personally wondered about sorceries versus slow payoffs like Assemble the Legion. I've seen it slowly get significant from a friend playing it, but it was painfully slow to watch even as the enemy, and if the tokens ever get large enough from that to be effective, then the game already took many turns too long. I have a Boros deck, and rather than that or Rise of the Hobgoblins, I went with Wildfire Awakener for the reason of pure tempo. The idea from one-shots goes something like this. I have some search to get the Cradle, and some smaller stuff to power it up quickly. From there, the x-spells drop tokens far faster in tempo than something like Elspeth or Assemble the Legion. The idea being that by the time I get a finisher in hand, I have enough critters to kill someone post-haste. Adding more draw as you suggest gets me closer to finishers and more sources of tokens. Where the debate lies is that I don't always get the Cradle or Xenagos, sweepers happen, and I don't always have normal mana. I'll think about that, but windmill slamming Avenger, plus probably also Verdant Force makes sense, as does Ezuri's Predation to kill and create all at one time. I do like critters being sources of tokens because then I have beefy bodies to anchor the token hordes. And yeah, I haven't adjusted this deck in a while other than adding more critters that create tokens. The x-spells like Torment of Hailfire are solely in there to take full-advantage of the Cradle, but they aren't demanded to remain by any means, I get where you're coming from there. Those slots can easily go toward some of these improvements.

And, as an aside, I own a Scute Swarm, and my friend's son uses it in his land matters Azusa deck. He has to break out a dry erase board or calculator every game. Neat kid, annoying deck..lol. Yeah, it will go in, as well. I cede the point on that one. :cry:

As another aside, great call on Martial Coup, I recently added that into my Dune-themed edh. I had a thought of adding that recently, myself, into this one. Never seen the Hour of Reckoning, but my friends will rue the day you pointed it out to me. :evil:
pokken wrote:
2 months ago
Tendershoot Dryad and Illustrious Wanderglyph are beefcake one card wincons for tokens that I am a big fan of.

Personally I am a huge fan of Cryptolith Rite effects for mana in token decks. Song of Freyalise as well.
I quite like the Dryad and Wanderglyph. I also like Elesh Norn, as the critter kills and boosts all at once. Maybe I'll take all three. Heh... Also, the Cryptolith Rite and Song make for much-needed additional mana backup plans that quite increase my ability to "go off" with x-token effects or getting bigger creatures like the Avenger or Craterhoof or "white-hoof" noted above. That's actually why I added Wildfire Awakener, his convoke lets me cheat the lack of a Cradle to double the tokens, which is just silly. So, these are all bombad suggestions. Both you and Primeval Commander rocked the feedback. Salute!

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 months ago

Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
Well, that's certainly a pretty big list of stuff. First off, thank you for responding. I appreciate the time you took. As to the suggestions, yes you have touched on some things I internally debate all the time, and some I hadn't thought. As to lands, I just paid like stupid amounts of money for Jetmir's Garden for a different deck. You touched on some great suggestions I recently put into play for another deck, and you just beat me to the analysis on this deck's mana. 100% agree on the conclusions, but I need to look at the budget-budget suggestions and go from there! :rofl: :omg:
Glad some of those were new information. I figured most of them you already had on your radar, but I didn't know which ones, so I dumped it all on there ;)

A budget 5 color land base for me would look something like the following.
Nature's Lore, Farseek, Three Visits, Skyshroud Claim, Wood Elves, Cultivate and Kodama's Reach, Arcane Signet
As many green Triomes as I could scrape together
Canopy Vista, Cinder Glade, Sheltered Thicket, Scattered Groves, Tangled Islet, Haunted Mire, Woodland Chasm, Rimewood Falls
Check Lands, Pain Lands, Slow Lands, or Battlebond Lands. Something that doesn't enter tapped a good percentage of the time.
Command Tower
5-8 basics to fill gaps.

The idea is that 75% of your lands tap for because all your ramp will be green cards. But most every land that taps for will also tap for another color and can be tutored by many of your ramp spells by being forests. #1 this ensures having a green land opening hand to turn on all your non-artifact fixing. #2 is allows tutoring of lands that will fix or at least provide multiple colors. Much of your lands will tap for green unnecessarily after about turn 5, but you will ensure you get the colors needed to turn on all the other fixing and be more resilient than artifact ramp.

note: I have not personally tried this exact mana base, but I have used one with more Triomes for extra fixing and it works quite well. Still slow, but budget 5 color will be slow. I think this adds consistency and a bit more speed than running a bunch of uncommon tri-lands that are not tutorable. The best part about the dual-typed lands is that that ramp spells can find them so not all of them have to take your land drop as a tap land.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

For a tokens deck on a budget I would be inclined toward a green heavy manabase as well; assuming you want green mana at a high ratio early in the game you likely want to focus on having ~20 green sources.

Mana dorks are a pretty strong option and they tend to synergize with a lot of the things tokens synergize with (cards like Priest of Titania goes well with things that make elves tokens, and Birds of Paradise in general synergize with overrun / anthem effects.

If you're on a budget, 5c manabases are going to be riddled with tapped lands unless you do what @PrimevalCommander said and go deep on nonbasic fetching green spells, which unfortunately dilutes your card pool but on the upside it feeds landfall tokens effects which can be strong (Scute Swarm and Felidar Retreat are the best there)

(obviously doubling/incrementing counter effects are also good with a lot of things; not wanting doubling effects makes some of these options worse)

* things that make tokens like Skyclave Relic and Dockside Extortionist and Smothering Tithe
* things that make counters like proliferate effects [ which similarly synergize with planeswalkers who make tokens)
* things that sacrifice tokens for mana e.g. Phyrexian Altar and Pitiless Plunderer and even Perilous Forays
* a lot of artifact things also synergize with tokens, things like Myr Turbine + Unwinding Clock + Clock of Omens shenanigans, Urza, Lord High Artificer

What I would do is dial in really hard on what it is you want to be doing and structure your ramp package around that.

That's a lot to think about, but I think that, personally, I would approach mana for this deck (with the ethos you have stated) like this:

* run the green fixing sorceries and up your green count just a little
* run Cryptolith Rite and Song of Freyalise as endgame ramp options

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”