Mikaeus, Lord of Gold

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

So I've been Itching to play some aggro EDH and I made a Mikaeus EDH deck before Bolster was a mechanic and I figured I'd revisit the deck Idea. The premise of the deck is to go low and fast and just add up as much damage as possible. The +1/+1 Counters theme in White offer some great opportunities to grow the aggro 1 cmc beaters but also allows us to use Mikaeus as an Anthem commander all while abusing the +1/+1 counter enablers and abusers. The current list is below.
Mikaeus, Lord of Gold

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Cards I'm considering:
Sunhome Stalwart
Castle Ardenvale
Dauntless Aven
Giver of Runes
Mirran Crusader
Linden, the Steadfast Queen
Precinct Captain
Soldier of the Pantheon
Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle

I'm really looking for any feedback anyone has because this deck has become a pet project that I want to shine.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Tags:

Ulka

Change Log:

Militant Angel > High Sentinels of Arashin: Moving my Flier beater to something that synergizes with the counters better.
Forsake the Worldly > Serra Ascendant: I forgot this card existed on my first build. I'm fixing that.
Swiftfoot Boots > Ranger of Eos: I'm adding a lot more of 1 cmc beaters with this edit and so being able to tutor up a few of them seems worthy.
Goldnight Commander > Dragonscale General: More +1/+1 synergy that provides more permanent growth.
Relic Seeker > Elite Scaleguard: Making all my creatures have that Territorial Hammerskull effect seems worth it even at 5 mana.
Retreat to Emeria > Ravnica at War: Exiling all multicolor permanents seems like it would be a great time to have on hand with the fact multicolor commanders are huge in my group.
Fiend Hunter > Expedition Envoy: More 1 cmc Beaters!
Lightning Greaves > Dragon Hunter: More 1 cmc beaters!
Ash Barrens > Wasteland: taking out Gaea's Cradle will always be worth it.
Shefet Dunes > Karn's Bastion: Proliferate land seems more worth it than a cheap pump land.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
I'm really looking for any feedback anyone has because this deck has become a pet project that I want to shine.
While playing aggro decks, I find having some resilient creatures really help things along. I would consider:

Adanto Vanguard - 3/1 for 1W isn't bad, and life-for-indestructibility when we're presumably winning the race is acceptable.
Frontline Medic - It's 3 mana which isn't superb, but it prevents casualties in combat, and could counter the odd X-spell that could lay your deck low (typically something like Black Sun's Zenith or Earthquake variants).
Taranika, Akroan Veteran - Also 3 mana, but, lets you attack with Mikaeus in the same turn, Mikaeus to 4/4 from 0/0 for a nice damage boost, AND lets you activate Mik in combat because she untaps her target. Also, Mik gets indestructible, so you don't have to worry about losing out on counters in the slings and arrows of combat.

Ulka

I like all these suggestions. Thank you!

Frontline Medic is the only card that im more iffy on but its probably worth running in the long haul due to the X spell issue I may run into.

Another Card Im realizing I should probably be running is Elspeth, Knight-Errant. Her Ult is very powerful but she also provides a bit of evasion which has proven to be needed. III have a second part of cards coming in the next few days so Ii should have another Change-log Update to do.

The final card i'm eyeing is Spirit Bonds. It provides a mana sink for the deck but also allows for some sustained creatures.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 3 years ago

I've had some great success with my Heliod deck (below). It has a lot of similar +1 counter effects in it, as well as a life gain theme.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 3 years ago

This seems like a really good deck to consider Militia's Pride in.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Another Card Im realizing I should probably be running is Elspeth, Knight-Errant.
While I can't speak for the evasion part, Elspeth, Sun's Champion is really, really good. She'll churn out a lot of creatures, or kill lots of things that aren't our low-to-the-ground troops.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Another Card Im realizing I should probably be running is Elspeth, Knight-Errant.
While I can't speak for the evasion part, Elspeth, Sun's Champion is really, really good. She'll churn out a lot of creatures, or kill lots of things that aren't our low-to-the-ground troops.
I'll second this. Elspeth, Sun's Champion is the gold standard for white planeswalkers, for all the reasons previously mentioned. Elspeth, Knight-Errant is fine, but it's not nearly as strong (only makes one token per turn, middle ability is far less useful). I would play Sun's Champion first, then at least 3 other planeswalkers, then maybe Knight-Errant.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

Ulka

So i've watching the spoilers pretty hard for Mikaeus as this set is likely where I will get 1-2 Cards added with the +1/+1 counter theme in G/W. So far nothing was really standing out but these are the cards I'm considering for possible additions:

Basri Ket: The cheap walker and cheap +1/+1 counters honestly would help Mikaeus pump the team faster.

Idol of Endurance: I love this recursion. The fact its not really worth removing as all I'm grabbing half the time a 2 /1 for a W I think will allow this to sit around but gives me a late game use for my mana.

Tempered Veteran: Yay the first +1/+1 counter matters card. I love the idea that becasue of Mikaeus I can tap this and Mikaeus to just give everyone a +1/+1 counter.

Ulka

Okay time to do an update to my list.

Cuts:
Leonin Warleader: While I love Hero of Bladehold, Leonin isn't fast enough and doesn't have the battlecry that hero does that makes our team large enough.

Ravnica at War: Meh I don't need boardwipes. But on a more serious note, I felt I wasn't getting maximum value when casting it and would have rathered more aggro pressure or just a Wrath of God

Crusade: Its banned.

Adds:
Luminarch Aspirant: So yea this allows me to keep using Mike to globally pump each turn if I can keep the luminarch targeting Mike every turn.

Basri Ket: I love this walker in the aggro deck. Being able to keep +1/+1 counters glowing while also possibly providing a solid token wave from time to time will be a welcome addition.

Idol of Endurance: This plays like a slow and steady Return to the Ranks which is very solid. I think it will pan out quite well as it allows me to have a mana sink each turn towards the late game and keep a steady pressure up on a player or two.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”