Anzrag, the Quake-Mole - Holy Moley a Budget Brew!

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 months ago

Normally I post decks that are optimized for what I think works best for a Commander or theme, but with no budget spared.
However this time around I thought this would be a nice entry deck for somebody not looking to splash-the-cash on a deck that certainly still packs-a-punch.
The reason is that there is an easy to assemble combo where with a creature that taps to deal damage to opponents ("Tim" is what these are affectionately called from old school days) and the use of a "Fog" effect to prevent combat damage, then as long as a single opponent has an untapped creature, you can go infinite by attacking with your must block ability and untapping your "Tim".
You do need to activate Anzrag, the Quake-Mole ability to force blocks, which at 3rrgg is quite a bit to invest, as well as maybe needing mana for the Fog type effects.
There are some cards in the deck that also provide "must bock" ability so that you can go off earlier.

Anzrag, the Quake-Mole makes it almost impossible for opponents to chump block because he just gets to attack again. Your opponents can only really block him if they can kill him with enough damage. So you are going to get attacks where you get 8 Commander damage in naturally.

Anzrag, the Quake-Mole with the must block ability does have the potential to clean up all the untapped creatures your opponents control. However if dealt at least 4 damage will kill him, so the deck has "indestructible" instants that are just good in general as protection.

Cards like Xenagos, God of Revels and Unnatural Growth will be very hard for your opponents to deal with. With so much toughness added its unlikely that your opponents can throw enough in the way to kill him. The most likely outcome is that you deal 16 Commander damage.

Because Anzrag, the Quake-Mole gives you 8 power for only 4 mana, there are some draw cards and land ramp equal to power. They are all 5 mana, so this can mean a nice curve out casting Anzrag into one of these to sculpt your hand.

If you are interested in making this deck and maybe some cards are too expensive or you actually have more to spend then I will be able to suggest changes. Besides expensive staples of the format, there were some cards that would be nice to put into the deck but creeping up to the $8 dollar or more range.
I kept Xenagos, God of Revels and Forbidden Orchard in the deck, just because they are so helpful to what you want to do.
If your opponents manage to tap out of creatures then Forbidden Orchard will allow you to still combo. But honestly its unlikely in the Commander format that you will get scenarios where there is not a single opponent with an untapped creature, so could easily not be in the deck.

Anzrag, the Quake-Mole - Budget Brew but Deadly

Commander

Artifacts

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by darrenhabib 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 months ago

Could this be the place where Leery Fogbeast can finally shine?

darrenhabib

kirkusjones wrote:
3 months ago
I'm not seeing it. Unfortunately its a conditional Fog effect dictated by your opponent so you couldn't rely on it.
To get the extra combats Anzrag is the one who has to be blocked, so spending a must block card like Irresistible Prey on Leery Fogbeast just to get a Fog isn't efficient. There are plenty of other Fog cards, its just that I'm playing a number that I'm happy with as you only really want them when you are ready to combo which takes a bit of time.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 months ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 months ago
kirkusjones wrote:
3 months ago
I'm not seeing it. Unfortunately its a conditional Fog effect dictated by your opponent so you couldn't rely on it.
To get the extra combats Anzrag is the one who has to be blocked, so spending a must block card like Irresistible Prey on Leery Fogbeast just to get a Fog isn't efficient. There are plenty of other Fog cards, its just that I'm playing a number that I'm happy with as you only really want them when you are ready to combo which takes a bit of time.
That's fair. I've got one more niche card for your consideration: Fog Patch. Probably too narrow, though.

darrenhabib

kirkusjones wrote:
3 months ago
That's fair. I've got one more niche card for your consideration: Fog Patch. Probably too narrow, though.
You need to have an effect that makes sure can be blocked every combat, so wouldn't work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”