Post by Ruiner » 10 months ago

Nahiri, Forged in Fury

Nahiri, Forged in Fury - Aggressive Equipments

Commander

Draw/Tutor Instants & Sorceries

Misc Instants & Sorceries

Approximate Total Cost:

About the Deck

This deck was born from the ashes of my Nahiri, the Lithomancer deck, which was already fairly equipment focused. This new version of Nahiri really made me lean all in on the equipment angle and so far the results have been very positive. This deck comes out swinging pretty aggressively generally and can threaten with both commander damage kills and just general beat down. If you are looking for an excuse to make a deck that just jams a bunch of Swords of X and Y, this is definitely a good candidate. Giving Nahiri just one Sword of X and Y or other stat boosting equipment turns her into a three hit kill, and with the things that grant double strike in the deck it could very well turn into a two hit kill.

For being a red/white deck, it ramps fairly well with the various equipment pieces that get you extra lands/land drops and the mana rocks I've included. It isn't uncommon for this deck to end up with a lot of land in play if any of Sword of the Animist, Sword of Hearth and Home, or Sword of Forge and Frontier end up in play early.

The "temporary" card draw due to Nahiri's attack trigger has been very solid so far. Just having two equipped creatures in play swinging is like drawing an extra two cards each turn. Trying to save land drops for Main Phase 2 because of the chances of Nahiri flipping a land card was a bit of an adjustment.

Equipment Creatures and Living Weapons are pretty great for accelerating out Nahiri quicker while also threatening with bodies on the field. I've selected what I think are the best of these types, to either play early or cheat out with Nahiri's ability (like Kaldra Compleat), but there is definitely room to experiment with others like maybe Batterskull.

I've put pretty much all of the Sword of X and Y equipments that I found to be fairly useful into this deck. Sword of Truth and Justice is right on the borderline of being included in the deck; it has decent protections, can accelerate something being a threat, and maybe with a few more planeswalkers or other counter based things it would be an all-star. Sword of Body and Mind is very "meh". Sword of Once and Future requires a very specific build to try to take advantage of it's abilities and this is not that kind of deck. Protections are obviously great and help with making any of the threats potentially unblockable. It is important to be aware that protection can occasionally hamper your own plans though, with a few of the Equipment Creatures not actually being colorless, but it's not a huge deal overall.

Obviously there are tons of potential equipment pieces you could include in a deck. The non-Sword of X and Y pieces included are what I believe to be the most useful at the moment but I am sure there are others I could be using that would be viable and I might be overlooking something obvious. It might be fun to include all of the original Kaldra equipment in this kind of deck if you were looking for an excuse to run all of those. There is definitely a viable version of this deck that runs far less Swords and uses other equipment pieces instead.

Red/White decks have been spoiled for equipment based creatures for a while now, so you really have to pick and choose what you want to include since you cannot include them all. Bruenor Battlehammer is on my short list of cards to try to fit in at some point.

I haven't really messed with the land base too much yet, in the future I definitely will be adding a few more utility lands.
Last edited by Ruiner 8 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 9 months ago

I do think you are missing a couple pieces of stellar equipment.

The Reaver Cleaver is just insane imo. I didn't realize it said "that many" treasure tokens, so it combos very well with doublestrike or extra attacks.

Shadowspear is very aggressively costed for what it does.

Skullclamp has been the best draw engine for me in my equipment deck. Even though you don't have that many 1/1s you will still have creatures dying.

Embercleave is a beast especially when you can cast it for free

Umezawa's Jitte this might be better in my deck where i can fairly reliably get extra combats or doublestrike but it can definitely do a lot of work.

Gavel of the Righteous my favorite way to give creatures doublestrike
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 9 months ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
9 months ago
I do think you are missing a couple pieces of stellar equipment.
There are definitely a few other great pieces that could find their way into this list, especially if I wasn't jamming so many Sword of X and Y into the deck.

The Reaver Cleaver is just insane imo. I didn't realize it said "that many" treasure tokens, so it combos very well with doublestrike or extra attacks.
It is definitely pretty stellar but with Sword of the Animist, Sword of Hearth and Home, Sword of Forge and Frontier, Bitterthorn, Nissa's Animus, plus the random free equipment from Nahiri's trigger, I haven't found this deck exactly starved for mana.
Shadowspear is very aggressively costed for what it does.
It is sure is amazing and I could definitely see making room for it some day. I've had great success with it on various decks.
Skullclamp has been the best draw engine for me in my equipment deck. Even though you don't have that many 1/1s you will still have creatures dying.
It's a great card obviously but this deck is poorly situated to to advantage of it in my opinion. When my previous equipment deck was led by Nahiri, the Lithomancer, Skullclamp was an all-star for sure. I haven't found card draw to really be much of an issue with this list so far.
Embercleave is a beast especially when you can cast it for free
I have a number of "Equipped creatures all get double strike" effects, or just creatures with it built in, and it being a red equipment can potentially be a detriment with four other equipment pieces giving protection from red. Protections kind of take the place of needing trample (although not always). I don't think it actually adds much to this particular deck. It's a great card, and I think a different version of this deck could probably take better advantage of it.
Umezawa's Jitte this might be better in my deck where i can fairly reliably get extra combats or doublestrike but it can definitely do a lot of work.
This just narrowly missed inclusion in my deck, it was in my pile of cards when initially putting the deck together, and I will probably put it in in the near future. It's certainly one of the best equipment pieces in the game.
Gavel of the Righteous my favorite way to give creatures doublestrike
This needs to be in play for four turns before it can give double strike. It feels awfully slow, although I've never tried it in any decks. I think I'd prefer Embercleave, Fireshrieker, or something like that over this card. In a deck that can proliferate the counters I could see some potential.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 8 months ago

The new Eldraine set had a few new neat cards for this deck, so I've made a few changes:

Added Cards
+1 Kellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon - An equipment tutor that is also a creature with double strike, seems like a pretty good card for the deck.
+1 The Irencrag - It's a 2 drop mana rock that turns into an equipment, seems solid.
+1 Stroke of Midnight - It's a new white staple removal spell.

Added Cards
-1 Danitha Capashen, Paragon - Solid card but the mana reduction hasn't been a huge deal for me, with how this deck to tends to ramp out, and something needed to be cut.
-1 Loran of the Third Path - Another great card but Stroke of Midnight is more flexible removal.
-1 Liquimetal Torque - Easy cut for The Irencrag. If I had more artifact removal interaction, this may be better, but for now it wasn't a tough cut.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”