It's The Mimeoplasm!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

The indestructible creature! Bloated with the blood of its victims!
- tagline, The Blob (1958)

The Mimeoplasm!

Commander:

Approximate Total Cost:

It's not a particularly original deck, but it does what it says on the tin. I wanted to build The Mimeoplasm reanimator forever ago, but that got sidelined when I started tinkering with a Tasigur, the Golden Fang control list. Now that I've decided on building Phelddagrif control instead, this frees up the Sultai color combo for me to play around with.

One of my favorite decks I've ever played was Forbidden Oath in Vintage shortly after Champions of Kamigawa came out. The gameplan was simple: 1) Oath into a fatty 2) protect the fatty 3) win. Similarly, this deck aims to get a fatty into play via reanimation, protect that fatty until it has generated enough value, then repeat the process after it inevitably dies.

My biggest concerns are as follows:

1) Ratios. As is common with "combo" decks, there are lots of awkward opening hands. The ideal hand consists of lands, a reanimation spell, a fatty, and a cheap draw/discard spell to get the fatty into the graveyard. Unfortunately, in my admittedly little testing, those are few and far between. More often than not I'll get a handful of two of those three, then never draw into the other component. Obviously the reanimation spells are the hardest to come by, given that they have the lowest density in the deck, but that's not too much of a problem since I have a perfectly capable reanimation spell in the command zone. However, this leads me to my next problem:

2) Ramp. I'm either running too much or too little ramp. I know, this is EDH, ramping is how you win, but this is a reanimator deck. The whole point is to cheat mana costs. The problem is that the most available reanimation spell I run is 5 mana value and getting to that amount can be awkward if it's turn 5 or 6. So, do I cut the non-Sol Ring ramp to add some other stuff, or do I cut other stuff to add more ramp? I think more ramp is the safer, more consistent option, but I'm honestly at a loss as to what to cut. This is the rare deck where Kodama's Reach and Cultivate are actually worth playing since my commander is sitting at 5 mana value and those two guarantee a turn 4 'Plasm, but that all hinges on whether or not I can actually bin a fatty before then.

3) Fatty quality. Honestly? There aren't a whole lot of great threats in Sultai colors. Due to the plethora of removal in this format, simply reanimating something like Ghalta, Primal Hunger isn't going to do much, so you have to find targets that are both large and generate value almost immediately. I'm running all the good ones I can think of with maybe the exception of Kozilek, the Great Distortion but I'd like to run a couple more. I'm just not sure which remaining ones are worthwhile and, of course, what to cut.

Anyway, I know this is an ancient commander, but I'd appreciate any analysis, particularly about any of the problems listed above.
Last edited by TheGildedGoose 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Ah, good ol' nostalgia. I remember when these were first being spoiled back in the day when EDH was still called EDH. Damn, I'm old.

I'll answer your questions in turn with my own thoughts and hope it helps!

1) Because you're a "combo" deck at heart (which you've accurately recognized) and your combo DOESN'T depend on card volume the way most Storm-like combos work, you need to focus on card QUALITY spells vs. card QUANTITY spells. The first thing I'd recommend is increasing the number of tutors in your deck. The more tutors you have, the more keep-able your opening hands will be and the higher your chances of actually leveraging your core strategy successfully.

In regards to specific ratios, I think you should have 8-10 tutor effects, 8-10 card filtering effects like Careful Study or Forbidden Alchemy, and 10-15 fatties. Also, why aren't you playing Koma, Cosmos Serpent? He's a phenomenal Reanimator target since he can protect himself pretty effectively and it dominates the board after a turn cycle or two.

2) Because your combo doesn't care about volume of spells (which more mana allows you to accomplish), Ramp is less important here. I'd still recommend somewhere between 8-10 ramp effects since you have a Reanimation effect in the Command Zone, but your primary focus won't ever be casting Mimeo over and over. If you get the right fattie into play, the card quantity it should generate for you should allow you to consistently hit land drops every turn so you don't have to worry about Ramping as hard.

3) There are EXCELLENT Reanimator targets in Sultai colors. I'd say you aren't running the best ones. Notion Thief. Tidespout Tyrant. Koma, Cosmos Serpent. Razaketh, the Foulblooded . Sphinx of the Second Sun. I'd critically look at your fattie selection and really think about which ones create the best board and/or card advantage for you. For example, Sire of Stagnation seems to be a weaker target relative to other.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
1) Because you're a "combo" deck at heart (which you've accurately recognized) and your combo DOESN'T depend on card volume the way most Storm-like combos work, you need to focus on card QUALITY spells vs. card QUANTITY spells. The first thing I'd recommend is increasing the number of tutors in your deck. The more tutors you have, the more keep-able your opening hands will be and the higher your chances of actually leveraging your core strategy successfully.

In regards to specific ratios, I think you should have 8-10 tutor effects, 8-10 card filtering effects like Careful Study or Forbidden Alchemy, and 10-15 fatties. Also, why aren't you playing Koma, Cosmos Serpent? He's a phenomenal Reanimator target since he can protect himself pretty effectively and it dominates the board after a turn cycle or two.
Which tutors am I not running that you would recommend? Imperial Seal is out of my budget range, but maybe Solve the Equation for the reanimator spells? As for Koma, I simply forgot it was a card. I haven't been paying much attention to new releases as much lately.
2) Because your combo doesn't care about volume of spells (which more mana allows you to accomplish), Ramp is less important here. I'd still recommend somewhere between 8-10 ramp effects since you have a Reanimation effect in the Command Zone, but your primary focus won't ever be casting Mimeo over and over. If you get the right fattie into play, the card quantity it should generate for you should allow you to consistently hit land drops every turn so you don't have to worry about Ramping as hard.
8 is probably a good number, cutting the Signet for Cultivate/Reach maybe? I'm not a huge fan of 3 mana value ramp but I can't think of any non-rock ramp left at 2 mana value. I guess I could just run rocks. They don't synergize with Pernicious Deed but at that point in the game my rocks aren't doing much for me.
3) There are EXCELLENT Reanimator targets in Sultai colors. I'd say you aren't running the best ones. Notion Thief. Tidespout Tyrant. Koma, Cosmos Serpent. Razaketh, the Foulblooded . Sphinx of the Second Sun. I'd critically look at your fattie selection and really think about which ones create the best board and/or card advantage for you. For example, Sire of Stagnation seems to be a weaker target relative to other.
Notion Thief is okay, but the body is lacking and without wheels it doesn't really take over a game. Tyrant is great in Legacy Reanimator but here I don't cast a lot of spells, so bouncing only 2-3 targets over its lifetime isn't great.. Razaketh is very strong in the right list but even with Life // Death making my lands into sac fodder I don't have much to tutor for that would allow me to win the game on the spot. Sphinx and Koma I wasn't aware of.

- Sire of Stagnation
- Woodfall Primus
- Sepulchral Primordial
- Miscast
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Rampant Growth

+ Koma, Cosmos Serpent
+ Talisman of Curiosity
+ Talisman of Dominance
+ Talisman of Resilience
+ Living Death
+ Fierce Guardianship

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

In regards to the tutors you could add, you could add in Survival of the Fittest (if it's in your budget?), Diabolic Intent (I would look to switch out some mana rocks for mana dorks instead if you want to run this), Spellseeker, Final Parting and Jarad's Orders (both are a little high on the CMC side).

If you do add in a man-dork package then Razaketh becomes even better because you'll have more bodies you don't care about for finding more quality cards. Mana dorks also add in more options for Survival of the Fittest too.

Slipperygecko
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Slipperygecko » 3 years ago

I built Mimeo recently as got one of those secret lair versions and it's been a real blast to play. Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider is bonkers in the deck as he has evasion, haste and doubles his own size so can end up huge. Great part is turning normie bombs into mega bombs thanks to commander damage and extra counters. Also if you want to go full degenerate Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is a great option as it's easy to get over 10 damage in and with enough mana gets hastey (plus can help enable Necrotic Ooze, not that it matters in your build though).

For additional tutors Fauna Shaman and Sidisi, Undead Vizier have worked very well. I found Death's Shadow and Titanoth Rex were great for making mimeo big and both can be put into the 'yard without help.

I hadn't considered Koma, Cosmos Serpent in mine and really like it though, going to find a slot for it for sure.

My biggest issue is the feels bad that can come from popping one player and then having mimeo removed only to have the game go longer without taking out the others so someone ends up sitting and watching. I put in a Hermit Druid > Necrotic Ooze package for this. Have you had similar issues? Always interested in how others deal with it

boer0829

Post by boer0829 » 3 years ago

One of my favorite creatures in Mimeoplasm decks is Lord of Extinction. Combine with evasion X creature and hasty boots for hilarious blow outs. Also fantastic with Greater Good.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
In regards to the tutors you could add, you could add in Survival of the Fittest (if it's in your budget?), Diabolic Intent (I would look to switch out some mana rocks for mana dorks instead if you want to run this), Spellseeker, Final Parting and Jarad's Orders (both are a little high on the CMC side).

If you do add in a man-dork package then Razaketh becomes even better because you'll have more bodies you don't care about for finding more quality cards. Mana dorks also add in more options for Survival of the Fittest too.
Unfortunately Survival is way out of my current budget range, but Spellseeker I had forgotten about.

Razaketh is certainly strong enough to consider running a mana dork package, but my problem with mana dorks is that at 75% tables there are a significant number of wraths being played. Rocks, though also vulnerable, are a little safer. Running lots of dorks would allow me to focus on 3 drops, where there's a sweet spot of draw or loot spells to ramp into.
Slipperygecko wrote:
3 years ago
I built Mimeo recently as got one of those secret lair versions and it's been a real blast to play. Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider is bonkers in the deck as he has evasion, haste and doubles his own size so can end up huge. Great part is turning normie bombs into mega bombs thanks to commander damage and extra counters. Also if you want to go full degenerate Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is a great option as it's easy to get over 10 damage in and with enough mana gets hastey (plus can help enable Necrotic Ooze, not that it matters in your build though).

For additional tutors Fauna Shaman and Sidisi, Undead Vizier have worked very well. I found Death's Shadow and Titanoth Rex were great for making mimeo big and both can be put into the 'yard without help.

I hadn't considered Koma, Cosmos Serpent in mine and really like it though, going to find a slot for it for sure.

My biggest issue is the feels bad that can come from popping one player and then having mimeo removed only to have the game go longer without taking out the others so someone ends up sitting and watching. I put in a Hermit Druid > Necrotic Ooze package for this. Have you had similar issues? Always interested in how others deal with it
Oh, Vorinclex is a good inclusion. I originally ran a few big power creatures but sometimes I just wanted to reanimate something like Consecrated Sphinx instead and had to find room for other things. Fauna Shaman could be another reason to try out the mana dork package.

I actually haven't really played this deck much! However, in my limited testing, sometimes the deck is able to land something like an early Consecrated Sphinx and just run away with the game. I tried to make Mimeo itself more as a back pocket tool if I stall out in the mid or late game, instead focusing on ridiculous value creatures to cheat early on. This way, if I run into a couple of removal spells, not only has the investment likely already paid off, but I then have Mimeo to make them have the answers multiple times later on.
boer0829 wrote:
3 years ago
One of my favorite creatures in Mimeoplasm decks is Lord of Extinction. Combine with evasion X creature and hasty boots for hilarious blow outs. Also fantastic with Greater Good.
Greater Good I tried out in an earlier build and I never quite got a lot of good use out of it. It helped me recover once, but most of the time it felt either win more or didn't help me when I was behind or in the early game. Lord of Extinction makes Mimeo huge, but I'm not a huge fan of vanilla targets by themselves even if they can get big. As for Greaves? Well, I honestly forgot I was running a deck that actually benefits from them.

I'm still not sold on mana dorks. The problem is that most of the 1 mana value dorks only produce green, whereas the ramp I currently run also tends to mana fix as well which is relevant on a non-fetch mana base. However, early ramp synergizes with the general game plan of being open for business as soon as possible, and enables a few more lines of play. I just hate losing my mana production to incidental spells. I think they're more of a liability in a meta where I'm expecting to eat a wrath on turns 4-6.

That said, a couple of changes:

- Baleful Force
- Negate

+ Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider
+ Lightning Greaves

Slipperygecko
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Slipperygecko » 3 years ago

Ahh nice - yeah I look at Mimeo is the big oozey mess that makes bombs even bigger and the reanimation was the backup effect, cool thing with this commander is it can go so many ways.

For dorks you could always run the higher CMC / multicolour ones, such as

- Birds of Paradise
- Bloom Tender
- Channeler Initiate
- Incubation Druid
- Paradise Druid
- Sylvan Caryatid

Any love for Eternal Witness? If you raise creature count cards like Victimize and it also might become viable.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Obligatory thread necromancy joke.

The past several releases have been particularly good for ol' Mimeo, and kirkusjones' Oskar thread it got me thinking about revisiting this deck.

Well, I made a whole bunch of changes that I don't feel like fully documenting, so I'll just post the list and summarize the changes.

It's The Mimeoplasm!

Commander:

Approximate Total Cost:

1) I changed some of the creatures around to accommodate some of the newer, better toys.

2) The ramp is gone! Except for Sol Ring anyway. This is an experimental change to see if ramp is actually valuable here. If you ignore the mana vales of the creatures that I never intend to actually cast, my curve tops out at 5 and my actual non-land average is at 2.49. That's a little higher than I would like to not play any ramp, so I'm looking for ways to lower it. Like I said, I don't know if this is the right answer, but running a ton of ramp in a deck whose primary design characteristic is cheating mana costs just seems wrong.

3) The manabase got an upgrade in the form of fetches, but I also increased the total number to compensate for not running any ramp. 39 is probably wrong, so I'm thinking of cutting a Swamp for something else.

Anyway. That's where I'm at. Updating old decks out of boredom.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

One card I really love in my casual list for mimeoplasm is Titanoth Rex. Being able to dump into the yard from hand is lovely and further even if Mimeoplasm is already out it still can provide it trample.

Similar cards that have been fun in my more casual list have been the channel fatties from Kamigawa Colossal Skyturtle and Mirrorshell Crab

I get your list is much more competitive than my list but these cards have been surprisingly effective for me and I figured I'd share.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
One card I really love in my casual list for mimeoplasm is Titanoth Rex. Being able to dump into the yard from hand is lovely and further even if Mimeoplasm is already out it still can provide it trample.

Similar cards that have been fun in my more casual list have been the channel fatties from Kamigawa Colossal Skyturtle and Mirrorshell Crab

I get your list is much more competitive than my list but these cards have been surprisingly effective for me and I figured I'd share.
I don't know if I'd call it competitive, but it's definitely optimized, for whatever that distinction is worth.

The Skyturtle is actually a great add. Not only does it bin itself for future reanimation, but its second Channel is actually useful and it has both evasion and protection. Also, the concept is great. I had completely forgotten about it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”