Neheb Seizes the Day

Calcifer
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Calcifer » 3 years ago

I overlooked Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion at first. It wasn't for roughly 6 months after War of the Spark's release that I took a close look at him and fully appreciated what a mono-red deck would look like with him at the helm. There is a lot to offer here. A 5/4 trampler for 4 mana is an attractive rate. I typically enjoy commanders in the 4 and below range to make them a reliable part of the game plan. Neheb's combat damage trigger incentives combat. Combat as soon as possible and as many times in a single turn as can be done. So haste and Relentless Assault effects are key to this strategy. Trample printed right on Neheb means evasion is slightly less necessary, but still required at later stages in the game. Otherwise, first strike and increasing his power can also do the trick, both abilities red is particular good at. Filtering through your deck with the wheel-like aspect of his trigger allows one to access specific cards quickly. On top of this, you can select exactly which cards you want to keep, allowing for flexibility (sometimes you may want them in the 'yard of course, which red is equipped to leverage). The final aspect of neheb's trigger is mana production. Card filtering AND mana production together on a red general. Marvelous! So once you've had an opportunity to dig for a desirable card, you may have a surplus of mana to cast just about anything you drew. It's worth noting that since the amount of mana made depends on the number of cards discarded, this ability actually benefits from casting cards from other zones such as from exile (Light Up the Stage, Ignite the Future), or an opponent's library (Stolen Strategy) so that future triggers are producing as much mana as possible rather than depleting as we cast our cards.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

The combo. Neheb + Aggravated Assault + 5 cards in hand = as many combat phases as you have cards in your library, so long as an opponent is within striking distance. Elixir of Immortality or Kozilek and you can swing your fire poker as many times as you like.

Other Combos: Godo, Bandit Warlord and Helm of the Host. Heat Shimmer and Dualcaster Mage, for infinite Tokens. A little hesitant on having heat shimmer in here on it's own it may not do enough without the combo.

I chose haste effects to be on the field before Neheb so he can attack the turn he is cast. I'll note here that the ramp cards are also chosen to have him out turn 3 whenever possible. Hence, nearly every ramp card is 2 mana or less.

Extra Combat Phases. These largely speak for themselves. Back them up with "at the beginning of combat" or "whenever ~ attacks" triggers (God-Pharaoh's Gift, Etali, Primal Storm, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger) all benefit from additional combats. I should note a caveat to these spells. Copying them with Reverberate could be enticing and is a potential route to take, but it's worth pointing out that many of these spells have a untap portion that takes place on resolution, which means including equipment that provides vigiliance (haunted cloak) is imperative to keep our creatures attacking each time and avoid the embarrassment of being tapped when the copied combat phase comes around.

Discard/Draw Synergy. Glint-horn buccaneer, Brallin, Skyshark Rider, Surly Badgersaur, Psychosis Crawler, Squee, Goblin Nabob. These are a large source of damage that bring your opponents' life totals down indiscriminately. Also, one goblin who just won't go away!

Graveyard Synergy and the rest. There are many directions to go with Neheb. He is quite open-ended once you get beyond the synergy with extra combat phases. This is where I feel you can season to taste. Here you can focus on spell recursion, artifact recursion, or creature recursion. I feel that more creatures and permanents lead to a more stable board presence and less of a total reliance on Neheb alone. But this may be at the cost of greater synergy within the deck and the chance to snowball with the right combination of sorceries. I may go back and try a spell-focused approach at some point.

This deck is a labour of love, one I consistently come back to for fine tuning, never really sure if I'm content with where it's at. I always enjoy constructive feedback and recommendations on cards to remove and add, especially given the wisdom I've seen dispensed from these forums. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Calcifer 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

Nice deck! You're right, Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion solves some problems for mono R.

I'm just going to vomit a bunch of cards at you. I love mono red!

I would suggest trying Alhammarret's Archive as a way to actually net more cards with Neheb. I think it's worth a slot.

Vesuva can copy Valakut or something nice your opponents have on the field.

Since Neheb generates mana, I really see no downside to running Blood Moon or Ruination other than losing friends lol.

I think God-Pharaoh's Gift costs too much. What about Nim Deathmantle? Shreds of Sanity is also not a bad red recursion spell spell. So is Recoup

Speaking of Deathmantle, I always advocate consideration of Ashnod's Altar in just about any creature deck to prevent theft and generate a lot of mana for more explosive plays. If you slotted in a couple more creatures, and especially a few creatures that made tokens on attack I think this would work quite well.

I think even more haste effects would probably be wise. Even something like Fervor would probably be good. Or perhaps Urabrask the Hidden ? Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded is also an option.

Your mana curve is actually pretty high for what I would consider a pretty aggressive deck. I don't think you have enough ramp to support that. Aside from the artifact ramp, I think the red rituals would be fantastic here. Seething Song , Pyretic Ritual Desperate Ritual. Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty might also be something to consider.

Arcane Signet, Gilded Lotus, Thran Dynamo, Coalition Relic, Worn Powerstone are some affordable mana rocks to consider as well.

Treasonous Ogre looks bad on the surface, but I think it can be good in an aggressive deck.

I think Faithless Looting would still be worth running here to fix your early hands. As would Thrill of Possibility.

Extraplanar Lens might get you some mileage. Especially if you did the Snow mountain thing.

Torbran, Thane of Red Fell can be good to get a little bit of extra damage through.

Leyline Tyrant could be very interesting here if you don't use all the mana that Neheb makes each turn.

Deflecting Swat probably should be run if you can get your hands on one.

Goldspan Dragon works great with extra attacks.

Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar
seems like you are leaning toward voltron a bit. This might be good.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Calcifer
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Calcifer » 3 years ago

I've been on such a mono red kick lately, I feel like there's a lot of space to explore even within the last few sets released!

Decks like this have so many potential includes, I'm liking these suggestions but as I'm sure you can appreciate it's sooo hard to include everything.

Dragon Mage is certainly an example of the type of effect I'm looking for, and repeatable at that. I wonder if at it's cost if it isn't less efficient than the wheels I currently have, but if I want to add more wheels it's absolutely on the short list.

Alhammarret's Archive is so so so tempting. I already have a tendency to run cards that do nothing on their own but with a high ceiling, but I worry with the impulse draw effects that there may be missed opportunities to fully realize it's effectiveness. Have you found it worthwhile?

God-Pharaoh's Gift is certainly not a mana efficient card, sadly. What I'm looking for out of it is a way to make use of creatures that end up discarded. Normally I'd look to Nim Deathmantle or Mimic Vat for creature recursion, but what I really want out of Gift is a second Feldon of the Third Path to get back creatures who end up in the grave incidentally.

Leyline Tyrant is booting Knollspine Dragon for curve considerations and the synergy for banking mana is relatively unique. Goldspan could certainly find a spot in here too!

With respect to ramp, I've been fairly satisfied with the number of 2 and less MV ways of getting Neheb out turn 3 with some frequency. Then, Neheb can do the heavy lifting for powering out more costly cards from there on out until opponents have enough blockers in the way. If Neheb is seeing the nasty end of a doom blade too often, I certainly like the ramp choices you offered!

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

Calcifer wrote:
3 years ago
Dragon Mage is certainly an example of the type of effect I'm looking for, and repeatable at that. I wonder if at it's cost if it isn't less efficient than the wheels I currently have, but if I want to add more wheels it's absolutely on the short list.
My experience with this card hasn't been too positive to be honest. Drawing cards for your opponents is rarely a good thing in commander. You can almost guarentee this to be more a group hug effect where your opponents will draw into answers for your board state. I personally wouldn't run this in Neheb since he does such a good job of wheeling us and just us on his own.
Calcifer wrote:
3 years ago
Alhammarret's Archive is so so so tempting. I already have a tendency to run cards that do nothing on their own but with a high ceiling, but I worry with the impulse draw effects that there may be missed opportunities to fully realize it's effectiveness. Have you found it worthwhile?
I think because Neheb himself has a draw effect it would be good. Similar to Varina, Lich Queen where the effect doesn't do much if you don't already have a decent handsize. Archive helps to fix this.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Bag of Holding belong here, more than most.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”