Forestwalk and Voltron

pzbw7z
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

So I've wanted to make a Rafiq of the Many deck for just about forever, and today I was thinking about ways to make creatures unblockable - not necessarily just Rafiq - and I stumbled on the idea of Forestwalk.

Is it crazy? There are a couple of ways to ensure an opponent has a Forest including but I'm sure not limited to Yavimaya Dryad and Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth. There are of course ways to give a creature Forestwalk as well as many creatures that come with it.

There plenty of straight-up unblockable creatures that could do damage with a bevy of Exalted effects - Blighted Agent comes to mind - and plenty of simpler ways of making creatures unblockable, e.g. Rogue's Passage, but the novelty of Forestwalk appeals to me. Could it be worth investing a few card slots to?

Tags:

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Rafiq is in the right colors for this plan. You can Crop Rotation or Knight of the Reliquary for Yavimaya. Verdant Mastery is another outlet to give your opponents a forest. Green is the best color in EDH anyway, so you might not even have to help them that much.

My concern whether there are enough ways to grant forestwalk to make it worthwhile. (If this plan/deck were elves, I would not be so concerned about it.)
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

One thing to note is that you can also use Nylea's Presence to either fix or provide another way to landwalk.

It should be noted it is really easy to make islands and swamps too which their landwalks show up in Green and Blue cards heavily which could make for a fun deck.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

pzbw7z

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Rafiq is in the right colors for this plan. You can Crop Rotation or Knight of the Reliquary for Yavimaya. Verdant Mastery is another outlet to give your opponents a forest. Green is the best color in EDH anyway, so you might not even have to help them that much.

My concern whether there are enough ways to grant forestwalk to make it worthwhile. (If this plan/deck were elves, I would not be so concerned about it.)
Thanks for the reply!

As long as the cards that grant Forestwalk are otherwise useful I think they are fine. Yavimaya Druid is ramp if need be. Yavimaya, Nature's Cradle can help with casting. The deck won't rely heavily on Forestwalk in any case and the plan is to one-shot an opponent with Rafiq anyway.

pzbw7z

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
One thing to note is that you can also use Nylea's Presence to either fix or provide another way to landwalk.

It should be noted it is really easy to make islands and swamps too which their landwalks show up in Green and Blue cards heavily which could make for a fun deck.
Thanks for the reply! Nylea's Presence cantrips so what's not to like?

Somehow Islandwalk doesn't appeal to me, probably bad memories. :) Swamp making is probably out for a Bant deck.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
So I've wanted to make a Rafiq of the Many deck for just about forever, and today I was thinking about ways to make creatures unblockable - not necessarily just Rafiq - and I stumbled on the idea of Forestwalk.

Is it crazy? There are a couple of ways to ensure an opponent has a Forest including but I'm sure not limited to Yavimaya Dryad and Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth. There are of course ways to give a creature Forestwalk as well as many creatures that come with it.
When the The Mimeoplasm first came out, I included a copy of Yavimaya Dryad. It could ramp, but in some games, I would make Mimeoplasm a copy of YD, get a ton of +1/+1 counters on it from another giant dead thing and then leverage a forest-donate via YD to close someone out with general damage.

I think nowadays you can go pretty nuts with Hidden Path/Lumbering Satyr and Yavimaya. There are many ways to force someone to have a forest, even in monogreen (blue still has Phantasmal Terrain, or Illusionary Terrain).

I think some of these cards are pretty low-opportunity cost. Yavimaya is (non)basically a forest. You can do worse than Yavimaya Dryad, and Phantasmal Terrain is a reasonable way to shut off lands like Maze of Ith or Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun, or other problems. Which isn't a bad deal for .

pzbw7z

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago

When the The Mimeoplasm first came out, I included a copy of Yavimaya Dryad. It could ramp, but in some games, I would make Mimeoplasm a copy of YD, get a ton of +1/+1 counters on it from another giant dead thing and then leverage a forest-donate via YD to close someone out with general damage.

I think nowadays you can go pretty nuts with Hidden Path/Lumbering Satyr and Yavimaya. There are many ways to force someone to have a forest, even in monogreen (blue still has Phantasmal Terrain, or Illusionary Terrain).

I think some of these cards are pretty low-opportunity cost. Yavimaya is (non)basically a forest. You can do worse than Yavimaya Dryad, and Phantasmal Terrain is a reasonable way to shut off lands like Maze of Ith or Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun, or other problems. Which isn't a bad deal for .
Thanks for the reply. There are some good ideas. The low-opportunity cost is key. I play Farhaven Elf and Wood Elves in every G Commander deck and the only down-side to Yavimaya Dryad is a trivial in the casting cost. Phantasmal Terrain looks like a good idea too.

It's mainly a lark, but going the Forestwalk route just seems more entertaining than Rogue's Passage, you know?

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

While I know the theme here is Forestwalk how about broadening the subject to just landwalk in general? Dryad Sophisticate is a alternate considering commander. Many players means many colors Cold-Eyed Selkie, Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Ranger Class Convincing Mirage, Spreading Seas would be interesting utility cards that go on theme. Ranger on level 2 especially works well and is not a horrible investment especially when you consider it only can target one creature that is attacking and well thats what this deck wants to do.

[Late edit]

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

Since you've got blue why not Sun Quan, Lord of Wu? Also Trailblazer's Boots is an auto include
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

pzbw7z

EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
While I know the theme here is Forestwalk how about broadening the subject to just landwalk in general? Dryad Sophisticate is a alternate considering commander. Many players means many colors Cold-Eyed Selkie, Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Ranger Class Convincing Mirage, Spreading Seas would be interesting utility cards that go on theme. Ranger on level 2 especially works well and is not a horrible investment especially when you consider it only can target one creature that is attacking and well thats what this deck wants to do.

[Late edit]
Cold-Eyed Selkie is good enough to play on it's own merit. I also think I like Unseen Walker. Generally, I don't want to devote too many cards to Landwalk, so the cards need to be playable on their own.

pzbw7z

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Since you've got blue why not Sun Quan, Lord of Wu? Also Trailblazer's Boots is an auto include
I don't see any reason to play Sun Quan. I don't need an expensive, six-mana card to make one creature unblockable. Nonbasic landwalk is an idea and equipment is a good way to confer an ability.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”