Righteous War

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Behold, the generic and unbanned referential analogue to Crusade and Jihad (with bonus "You're with us or you're with the enemy" flavour text!)...

Alright, so this card seems like it might be okay, especially in Orzhov or Orzhov/x. White and black are the colours of removal; when Animar, Soul of Elements was first printed, one of the things people spoke about highly was how relevant its protections were, and Sword of Light and Shadow remains a favourite of many despite the less-amazing triggers (I guess the raise dead is okay, but 3 life is pretty tame).

Have any of you played this card? How was it? Could it be exciting with Inklings? Maybe with some sort of white-creature dominant/Pestilence|LEB sort of deck?

Tags:

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 years ago

I don't know if I'd play it, but the art is great.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

It seems made for decks that are heavy on one color that can also color everything the other color (like with Painters Servant). I already love Servant in Teysa 1.0, and naming white allows you to generate mono white tokens by sacrificing the black creatures (which are now w/b) to her first ability. Running this gives all your black creatures protection from everything once Painter's is in play. If you first played Darkest Hour, which is also good in Teysa, then all creatures are both white and black, and thus your dudes have protection from everything. Kind of win more with Teysa since she can just exile all opponent's creatures at that point, but she might have been removed too much, and it does provide her with some protection from spot removal.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I have it in a Selenia, Dark Angel deck, and it's done some work. I haven't played the deck in years though. I do remember it causing fits for the other Orzhov player at the table.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Behold, the generic and unbanned referential analogue to Crusade and Jihad (with bonus "You're with us or you're with the enemy" flavour text!)...

Alright, so this card seems like it might be okay, especially in Orzhov or Orzhov/x. White and black are the colours of removal; when Animar, Soul of Elements was first printed, one of the things people spoke about highly was how relevant its protections were, and Sword of Light and Shadow remains a favourite of many despite the less-amazing triggers (I guess the raise dead is okay, but 3 life is pretty tame).

Have any of you played this card? How was it? Could it be exciting with Inklings? Maybe with some sort of white-creature dominant/Pestilence|LEB sort of deck?
How curious, I used this in one of my earliest decks with Pestilence + Crypt Rats + Spirit Link, but that was 60 cards. The main benefit is probably giving your white creatures pro-black then proceed with removals.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I will say that having played against Animar, Soul of Elements that proc white/black makes a serious dent on targeted removal..surprisingly so.

Darkest Hour means that your creatures are protected against other creatures, including blocking or attacking.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
I will say that having played against Animar, Soul of Elements that proc white/black makes a serious dent on targeted removal..surprisingly so.

Darkest Hour means that your creatures are protected against other creatures, including blocking or attacking.
Darkhest Hour tech is nice. I see how this could fit in OG Teysa.

Gamazson
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gamazson » 3 years ago

Darkest Hour does not work. It makes all creatures black. It overrides their existing colour(s). Since your opponents have mono-black creatures and you have mono-black creatures, Righteous War does not grant useful protection.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Gamazson wrote:
3 years ago
Darkest Hour does not work. It makes all creatures black. It overrides their existing colour(s). Since your opponents have mono-black creatures and you have mono-black creatures, Righteous War does not grant useful protection.
oh right i guess Painter's Servant then

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

I've run Righteous War in decks before and always end up cutting it. It's just too conditional and nowadays there are lots of creature removal spells that aren't white or black:
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

I've run Righteous War in decks before and always end up cutting it. It's just too conditional and nowadays there are lots of creature removal spells that aren't white or black:
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

Works great with Pestilence et al.
Responds well to spells and abilities

knight_seb
Pronoun: he / him

Post by knight_seb » 3 years ago

It is one of the cards I listed as hidden gem in commander ;)
I played it a long time ago in a 60 card pestilence deck to provide protection from black to my creatures. I might play it again in my Kaalia deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”