Black Friday Pauper Commander Tournament at LGS - What Should I Play?

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 6 months ago

My LGS is holding a Black Friday Pauper Commander Tournament this year.

My current thought is to maybe do some sort of combo deck with Breeches, Brazen Plunderer and Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator combined with a combination of:
The deck looks kind of fun, but also not something that someone should probably pull up and play without a lot of practice.

I also thought about a Armix, Filigree Thrasher and Ghost of Ramirez DePietro Grindy Control deck with a slight Artifact/Madness/Descend theme.

I also thought something like Quintorius, Field Historian Spirit deck would be fun with a bunch of Disturb, Escape, Flashback, and some sweet stuff that exiles cards from your graveyard like Jack-o'-Lantern for a consistent, but hard hitting deck.

My final thought was to create a Rilsa Rael, Kingpin Initiative/Dungeon/Monarch control deck and sort of outlast everyone since I don't expect anything too broken seeing as it is Pauper.

But really, since I don't know how many times I will get to play the deck, I am looking for something that will be fun, possibly unique, memorable, and have a decent chance of being competitive. So if anyone has a cool suggestion, I am all ears.

List of Uncommon Legendaries: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&ord ... rarity%3Au

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 6 months ago

I have two Pauper Commander decks, Tatyova, Benthic Druid and Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward + Far Traveler.

You've got some neat ideas, but once you start trying to make a framework around those themes you'll find it hard to get commons that support it in the streamlined way that you'll be used to in the past.

So what I've found is that mass removal is very rare in Pauper, so boards go wide. Also that ways to finish opponents are pretty durdly.

I do think the Breeches, Brazen Plunderer and Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator idea could be a good fun one. I'm not convinced you'll be able to construct a pingers deck around it, that is one that will make any real effect of casting enough spells to make an impact.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 6 months ago

I have a Quintorius deck and folks definitely sleep on him - he's a strong commander, one who frequently surprises people. I will say that I think it's an uphill climb to make him work in Pauper though. While a few of the best enablers are pauper legal (namely Relic of Progenitus) many of what I'd call the best spells in the deck are not Pauper legal (Bag of Holding, Containment Construct, Mistveil Plains, Hofri Ghostforge).

Malcom and Breeches seem doable - there's enough common aggressive pirates to get the deck off the ground so that it can dig to the "combo" of a card that turns a pinger into a pirate and a pinger, including the potential to lethally kill the table by making Ingenious Artillerist or Reckless Fireweaver a pirate. That's a nice inevitable back-up plan if the board is clogged to go with what should be a solid aggro-tempo deck at its core to win "fair" games where it doesn't draw or need the combo.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 6 months ago

Armix, Filigree Thrasher + Ghost of Ramirez DePietro probably have the most potential to be competitive. Blue draw is a HUGE advantage in PDH. Repetitive removal is also extremely powerful. Both combined from the command zone is a potent combination.

I'm building 3 decks, one more interesting than the others. I have not played either of these in a multiplayer setting yet, as I am just getting them finished. I have rough decklists of each of these on request.

Radiant, Serra Archangel + Esior, Wardwing Familiar blue/white control with flyers that cantrip. With Esior and one or two other flying creatures Radiant becomes almost unkillable. Add in some vigilance equipment and you can play offense and defense with Radiant blocking one creature per combat with protection as long as you have little utility flyers around. Decklist looks like a flying tribal list with typical removal, counter, and draw elements with 6-7 vigilance enablers like Sentinel's Eyes, Kor Halberd, Accorder's Shield, and Cathar's Shield and lots of flyers to tap for protection of Radiant.

Keskit, the Flesh Sculptor + Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith Rakdos Landfall-Aggro with lots of spot removal, token makers, and cantriping fatties. You can actually get 14 fetchlands at common now with Ixilan. 4 panoramas, 4 New Cappenna self-sac fetches, Teramorphic, Evolving Wilds, Temporal Moraine, Shire Terrace, and a couple others I forget. This one looks like the most fun to pilot due to all the filtering and drawing. My entire card advantage suite is based on repeatable Raise Dead effects and creatures that cantrip like Phyrexian Gargantua, Tithebearer Giant First-Sphere Gargantua and Cadaver Imp type stuff. Slow deck, but looks like it may have inevitability with all the removal and repeatable draw. Mirkwood Bats is probably one of the best cards in the deck with the token creation via creature tokens, rocks, and treasures. Sprinkle of deathtouch for the rock synergy.

Cadira, Caller of the Small token swarm. This deck I am least confident in. No real world testing, but test draw says I don't have near enough ways to draw cards and will sputter out late game if I cannot get 3-4 hits with Cadira. Being a 3/3 trampler sounds pretty good in Pauper, but I'm not yet convinced. Playing all the 1 mana dorks to get Cadira out turn 2, but I still need a catalyst for token generation, and ways to make the tokens lethal. A delicate balance to make when commons typically only do one thing. Not like rares today that will wash your clothes and cook you dinner while pumping your team to lethal damage. Cast Cadira, make some tokens, pump Cadira, make more tokens, rinse & repeat. Very commander-centric, probably too much so for Pauper, but time will tell.

Rilsa Rael, Kingpin is one that I really want to build. Play a bunch of saboteur creatures that we can make hard to block. Some unblockable 1/1's for capturing the initiative back. Only problem is having to wait so long to complete the first dungeon to get those sweet Rilsa pump triggers. I have not done enough research to see how many dungeon synergies we have at common for but I LOVE Rilsa in my Sefris of the Hidden Ways deck, so I am interested to see what she could do.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 6 months ago

Not that you need more options, but I know if it were my tournament I'd be brewing up Erinis, Gloom Stalker + Street Urchin. Clearly that deck is worse when all the fetches and loam tricks and Strip-lands are not legal in the format, but a repeatable machinegun creature that grinds out value and ramp seems pretty good to me, and a lot of the best enablers for Erinis are all common.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 6 months ago

Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator is strong for sure. Doing a curiosity thing with him should work pretty great, all of the relevant pieces (Curiosity, Ophidian Eye and Tandem Lookout) are at the appropriate rarity level, and there's enough pingers like Reckless Fireweaver and Ingenious Artillerist at the lower rarity levels that you could reliably make it a machine gun deck. If you're not into Breeches, Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar works the same way, and if anything makes the combo more efficient. With both in play you don't need to swing out at all players, just one you can connect with, and away you go.

It's probably a fair amount of filler as a pauper deck, but I bet it would get you there pretty well.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar is certainly an interesting idea, but I would rather have the back-up plan of Breeches stealing my opponent's stuff rather than relying on Malcolm's damage. Also Curiosity is not Pauper legal (I know, I thought so as well).

Below is my first draft of the deck. The cool thing is that with the release of LCI and Sunshot Militia, the deck now has four artifact based pingers that go infinite with at least two opponents. Red also has a fair amount of sweepers available. My basic idea is to play a control deck masquerading as a treasure pirate Breeches deck and then kill them when they don't realize that a pauper deck can combo kill everyone.

Pauper Pirate Treasure
Approximate Total Cost:

I am also thinking about putting together a Quintorius, Field Historian list just to see what it looks like.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 6 months ago

The deck looks great!

More pirates: Mothdust Changeling, Mistwalker, Amoeboid Changeling. Being as though Amoeboid Changeling would be a combo piece for the pingers.

Merchant Scroll --> Trickery Charm/Wings of Velis Vel or counter spells, etc.
Trinket Mage --> Runed Stalactite, Wayfarer's Bauble, Great Furnace/Seat of the Synod, Springleaf Drum, Lotus Petal.

More mana: Dreamscape Artist, Springleaf Drum, Lotus Petal, Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual.

Treasure Cruise is really good with all the cantrips you have.

I would play less tapped lands for sure.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

darrenhabib wrote:
6 months ago
The deck looks great!

More pirates: Mothdust Changeling, Mistwalker, Amoeboid Changeling. Being as though Amoeboid Changeling would be a combo piece for the pingers.

Merchant Scroll --> Trickery Charm/Wings of Velis Vel or counter spells, etc.
Trinket Mage --> Runed Stalactite, Wayfarer's Bauble, Great Furnace/Seat of the Synod, Springleaf Drum, Lotus Petal.

More mana: Dreamscape Artist, Springleaf Drum, Lotus Petal, Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual.

Treasure Cruise is really good with all the cantrips you have.

I would play less tapped lands for sure.
Merchant Scroll is a great suggestion since it also gets the most important tutor in the deck, Muddle the Mixture. Trinket Mage is also interesting. Then I could throw in a couple of 1 mana cost equipment that I were looking at like Boots of Speed, Sunfire Torch, and/or Simian Sling.

If I did that, it might also make sense to throw back in Dizzy Spell and maybe even Vedalken Aethermage and/or Step Through to find Trinket Mage and/or one of the Changeling cards (then it would also make sense to throw in Amoeboid Changeling and Mistwalker. And kind of random, but I should probably make room for Echoing Truth somewhere.

Also, I put together a Quintorius, Field Historian deck with an artifact focus. I will say, just from the looks, it looks like it could be even stronger (and at least more consistent) with getting access to really synergistic cards like Alms, Jack-o'-Lantern, and Satyr's Cunning (which gets you two spirits).

Pauper Quintorius Artifacts
Approximate Total Cost:

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 5 months ago

So an update on the tournament. Went out in the first round to a turn 5 Scurry Oak combo. There was a lot of debate about whether or not Pauper Commander still allowed any uncommon creature or just legendaries. While most who asked agreed that it should be just legendaries, the rules the LGS owner pulled from for the tournament allowed any uncommon creature.

On the other hand, my deck did its work in the loser's bracket, comboing off. Honestly, I feel the deck is probably strong enough to be played in regular EDH no changes.

While not in the tournament, I did even manage a turn three win while gold fishing of:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”