Korvold - let’s brew!

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 4 years ago

What if you had to brew exclusively with the actual brawl format in mind?

Which card would you miss the most? haha

Tags:

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

Dictate. 😂
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

sweetwaterbob

Post by sweetwaterbob » 4 years ago

Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago
Decklist

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

This deck is a lot more removal heavy than yours, and I'm sure it can use some major work still, but it's a fun start.
I played a version of this online the other night and it was great. Dockside Extortionist is amazing with Korvold out.

Skello496

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

sweetwaterbob wrote:
4 years ago
Skello496 wrote:
4 years ago
Decklist

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

This deck is a lot more removal heavy than yours, and I'm sure it can use some major work still, but it's a fun start.
I played a version of this online the other night and it was great. Dockside Extortionist is amazing with Korvold out.
Oh that's awesome!! What changes did you make to it? I'm really curious
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

sweetwaterbob

Post by sweetwaterbob » 4 years ago

The game had me facing down a Rayami and a BW knights tribal deck. I think Meren and Dragonbrood Mother are a little slow and I was able to get the game stabilized by resolving a Bitterblossom with a Parallel Lives and a Gravepact. From there I was able to keep the board clear from a Rayami full of a keyword soup.

I finally managed to win with a Pitiless Plunderer on the field where I sacced the bitterblossom tokens to make 2 treasures per 1 fairy. The draw triggers off of Korvold drew me into a Dockside Extortionist which then produced another 6 treasures. I then Scapeshifted to bump Korvold up to lethal while also drawing a bunch of cards.

I replaced Mazirek with Gitrog. I think I want to replace Meren and Dragonbroodmother since they we're kinda slow. Dockside Extortionist was insane and saccing treasures with Korvold out is amazing value.

Current cuts are looking like Siege Gang Commander, Dragon Broodmother, Mazirek, Moldervine Relcamation, and Fecundity.

I want to add smaller cmc spells like Farseek, Natures Claim, Faithless Looting, while adding Vaevictus, Gitrog.

I do want to explore a more lands matter theme in the future with dockside + temur and food chain + squee to play around with stuff like Field of the Dead.

Landfall is great because Korvold love's saccing tokens and landfall matters tends to produce a lot of creature tokens.

maeos
Pronoun: he / him

Post by maeos » 4 years ago

i feel that korvold has the option to do infinites although i can only think of two right now. What other infinites am i missing?

ashnod's altar/phyrexian altarKrark Clan ironworks + animation module + korvold, fae-cursed king = draw your deck and and get for each card you draw

replacement for korvold the above combo is deathbringer thoctar

dockside extortionist + temur sabertooth = inf mana

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

maeos wrote:
4 years ago
i feel that korvold has the option to do infinites although i can only think of two right now. What other infinites am i missing?

ashnod's altar/phyrexian altarKrark Clan ironworks + animation module + korvold, fae-cursed king = draw your deck and and get for each card you draw

replacement for korvold the above combo is deathbringer thoctar

dockside extortionist + temur sabertooth = inf mana
Honestly one of the best things about Korvold is that you don't need to bother with infinites you get so much value anyway.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I saw a korvold deck tonight just go absolutely off with a wildfire effect and dockside extortionist and it was a thing of beauty. Really strong general, killed one of us outright and one with commander damage after wildfiring all my lands and my entire board except sword of war and peace.

I still almost got him with a myr wielding the sword tho ;)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

Looking at building a casual Korvold deck and picked up a Brass Bounty because it looks like a good fit for him. If Korvold is out it becomes a massive draw/ritual spell that can dig quite deep. I'll also be trying out Scaretiller to recur self-saccing lands or drop extra lands from hand into play. I'll have several Eldrazi Spawn/Scion token makers since they can self-sac without any additional setup.

Yawgmoth, Thran Physician is also a good choice for doubling up on draw triggers. Deathbringer Thoctar is a card I often forget, but really like in creature heavy decks.
I don't see Sylvok Replica, Seal of Primordium or Dawntreader Elk mentioned much here.
Fling will be slotted in for when Korvold gets big and is about to eat removal, or just for the double play if he connects for commander damage kill.

Anything else that makes treasures easily? Clues are also a good option, though require mana to sac.

Eldrazi Treasures

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

Ranking of treasure producing cards for Korvold:

1. Pitiless Plunderer - The synergy with the other cards you are likely running is insane. This card is explosive.
2. Dockside Extortionist - Cheap, efficient. Can be part of an infinite combo, but pretty powerful by itself.
3. Brass's Bounty - Huge cost, Huge effect
4. Revel in Riches - Situational engine. Alternate wincon may or may not be what you want.
5. Ruthless Knave - It'll do work. It's not explosive like the Plunderer, but it will get your engine moving.
6. Treasure Map - It's slower. Improves consistency and provides nice value, but it takes time and it wants you to walk not run.
7. Vraska, Relic Seeker - You aren't playing this card for Korvold. There are synergies, and they are nice. But you'd be playing this card for itself.
8. Wily Goblin - If you make a Goblin tribal Korvold deck (and you can), this guy works, Otherwise, not worth it.

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 4 years ago

Despite goblins being primarily a Jund tribe - if only due to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, there's really no satisfactory Jund Goblin commander. I'll second Darrenhabib's suggestion of running him as a goblin tribal deck. That's what I'm doing. I didn't even intend a Korvold deck. What happened was, I wanted to improve my mono-red goblins deck by including the best goblins in Jund colors for the insane resilience, and I had no commander. Korvold was the best fit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”