Two Rare creatures,

Sorandu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sorandu » 4 years ago

Static Wisp
1RR
Creature — Elemental Spirit

Static Wisp gets +3/+0 as long as you control no untapped creatures.

Tap an untapped creature you control: Static Wisp gains first strike, trample, or haste until end of turn.
3/1
Vineweaver Druid
3G
Creature — Elf Druid

Hexproof

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a +1/+1 on it. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Vineweaver Druid.
3/3

Thanks for any feedback. :)
Last edited by Sorandu 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

That druid will quickly get very, very, very nasty. Imagine it with Ant Queen or another mass token maker.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Static Wisp being able to always have its buff makes it significantly stronger and requires a higher cost. It would be more interesting if you had to tap multiple creatures meaning it's an actual decision to activate or attack.

I would like to honestly ask why the counter is a you may? The scenarios where you don't want to are so rare that it seems asinine to bother with the you may. Thw ability could then be rewritten to just put the counter on both of them shortening it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Yes, Vineweaver Druid's antecedent Juniper Order Ranger just puts the +1/+1 counter on both; this is one of those things that I feel it's right to simplify for digital platforms unless the card has some sort of drawback in and of itself that would result from the +1/+1 counters, in which case it would depend on the exact design.

Speaking of which, I think the Druid's hexproof puts it beyond the pale in power terms. The Wisp is a really cool idea but I do agree that its activated ability should cost "Tap two untapped creatures you control..." instead.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sorandu

Post by Sorandu » 4 years ago

I totally forgot about Juniper Order Ranger. :woozy: Having limitations on the triggered ability would make it more interesting and balanced. How about this:

Vineweaver Druid
3G
Creature — Elf Druid

Whenever a nontoken creature with power 2 or less enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature and a +1/+1 counter on Vineweaver Druid.
3/2

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

I don't think you need the power restriction as long as you have the nontoken one. It gets a lot harder to drop many creatures in a turn to grow the druid when tokens aren't counted. So something like "Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature and a +1/+1 counter on Vineweaver Druid".
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

NUMBERS

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

I think I agree with [mention]Krishnath[/mention] on not needing the power restriction if you have the non-token restriction. But conversely, I could see having the power restriction but not the non-token restriction. Either way is probably fine as long as you drop Hexproof I would think.

I really, really like what you did with Static Wisp, but it does seem a little too easy to turn on // too much payoff for that difficulty. Not sure how I would address that, simplest way is probably dropping its buff power by 1? But I'm not exactly happy with that suggestion, as it doesn't feel right to me.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

I think that as a rare, Static Wisp is about right for the power level and stats. It's a fragile creature, and if you play it without having any other creatures on the battlefield, you simply have a 3/1 vanilla rare for the turn which isn't the most exciting play. It's a twist on Ball Lightning and the like in that instead of having the haste/trample effect automatically on it, you have the player work for such effect. The lack of an end-of-turn sacrifice effect feels different to other cards of the like. Cool design.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”