Kind of dissapointed with new atraxa (spoilers)

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Atraxa, Grand Unifier wasn't quite the atraxa I wanted to see. First card that comes to mind is Niv-Mizzet Reborn but I like Niv better because of the build around uniqueness. Atraxa just says "fill your deck with normal cards" She doesn't really add anything over the original at least to my mind.

So i took the liberty to throw a couple of my own versions together.

This first version is more about unifying the 5 phyrexian colors thematically.

second version doesn't involve changing the story

Both second abilities pull from her original proliferate mechanic while offering a bit more flexibility and multiple triggers a turn.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 1 year ago

The original design requires making a lot of deck building choices and deciding how heavily you want to lean into balancing card types to maximize the amount of cards she draws you when she lands. Card type tribal is a pretty interesting direction with more depth than you might think at first glance. For instance, dual type or tri typed cards like enchantment creatures or enchantment artifact lands cover multiple bases for her, and thus go up in value in the deck (letting you, say, grab three creatures if you reveal a creature, an enchantment creatures, and an artifact creature). There are also mechanics that care about card types, and Delirium especially comes to mind as something that would be particularly easy to turn on in card type tribal.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but if I never see another atraxa again, it'll still be too soon. I for one am happy that the new one is weak enough to not be an omnipresent headache.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

wildfire393

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

Moved from Commander to Custom Card Creation

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I'm sorry for your disappointment, but if I never see another atraxa again, it'll still be too soon. I for one am happy that the new one is weak enough to not be an omnipresent headache.
I think Atraxa is pretty tame compared to some of the commanders we've been seeing lately. Proliferating only once at your end step doesn't seem that broken. She doesn't have any built in evasion other than flying. What I've noticed is that it's more the deck she pilots thats a headache to play against.

Sheoldred, the Apocalypse is one where the whole game seems to revolve around keeping her off the table. The new Mondrak, Glory Dominus seems absolutely obnoxious in a similar way and she has built in protection.

But yeah, my versions are probably a bit too pushed. was just tyrying to have some fun. Seemed to fit right in with all the other pushed things we got in this set.
onering wrote:
1 year ago
The original design requires making a lot of deck building choices and deciding how heavily you want to lean into balancing card types to maximize the amount of cards she draws you when she lands. Card type tribal is a pretty interesting direction with more depth than you might think at first glance. For instance, dual type or tri typed cards like enchantment creatures or enchantment artifact lands cover multiple bases for her, and thus go up in value in the deck (letting you, say, grab three creatures if you reveal a creature, an enchantment creatures, and an artifact creature). There are also mechanics that care about card types, and Delirium especially comes to mind as something that would be particularly easy to turn on in card type tribal.
I guess thats something i didn't think about. Personally, it's not for me. I was just hoping for a new commander for my artifact deck.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic