Abaddon the Despoiler - From shame and shadow recast...

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

... in black and gold reborn!

Welcome to what is likely to be the final deck I build. It takes me to six, which given I get about two games a week in, means I get to play each deck 3-4 times before a new set drops, which is both enough to keep the variety up but also not a huge amount of upkeep. I have lowered my ambitions considerably since my dream of doing the full suite of 32 a few years ago.

I own 10-15,000 points of Chaos Marines and associated armies like Death Guard and Thousand Sons. I've played the faction since I started the hobby in 1998 and it was just Codex: Chaos, which had Abaddon the Despoiler in all his technicolour glory as the cover. 40K is even more a part of the fabric of my life than MtG, so when the UB decks were announced there was no chance I wasn't getting the Chaos one. I've also been looking for a cascade based commander, so Abaddon the Despoiler immediately piqued my interest, since he can generate some serious value but also there's some hoop jumping involved. I always enjoy having to work a bit to get my decks to do things, so I grabbed the deck, played the precon a few times unaltered to see what I liked and then got to modifying.

Now, anyone that's seen my other decks will know I like to have a restriction in place for my deckbuilding, and I decided this deck needed one otherwise it was gonna go just that bit too far compared to my meta. So, taking inspiration from the lead in quote to the thread, all the cards in the deck are going to be either mono-black or gold, reflecting the colour scheme of the Black Legion. I'm exempting colourless artifacts from this restriction so that I actually get the full suite of rocks I want cause man, you need Abaddon out as early as humanly possible. The first few passes of rebuilding were partially to get on theme, and partially to shore up weaknesses. The precon has a lot of high cost stuff, so what tends to happen is you play Abaddon, cascade into something next turn, get wrathed the turn after and then you're just sad. I've added in some wraths of my own, some draw and some passive life loss so I don't *have* to swing. Also the five multicoloured counterspells that have another mode so you can cascade into them and not feel bad.
Decklist

Commander:

Approximate Total Cost:

There's some obvious stuff like Pestilence that I just haven't got around to picking up yet, but I'm going to the LGS soon with singles purchasing in mind so there'll be some holes plugged after that hopefully. I'm also looking at cutting the remnants of the spellslinging package they put in the precon and replacing it with reanimation as extra protection against wraths. Other requirements at this stage are the shocks I don't already have and possibly more mana rocks. Considering splashing out for some of the 0 cost ones like Mana Crypt, if nothing else they'll give my 1 drops cascade targets.

Any thoughts, criticisms and suggestions are gladly received, it's a while since I built a deck and 'here, have lots of value but no clear goal' is not something I've done for ages so I've probably missed tons of stuff. Just please bear the only black and gold cards restriction in mind.

Dragonlover
Last edited by Dragonlover 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
All my decks are here

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Quick bump as I've now cleared out all the monocolours I didn't want and started the tuning process.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”