void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

CCL January Signups/Round 2

"Heads-Up Defense"

Ancient Spider, taken from EchoMtG, by Greg Staples and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Evasion Month here in the CCL. We will go through any number of abilities that make creatures harder to block.

Challenge
Design a creature card with an ability that does not change what creatures can block it, but that allows it to block creatures with an evasion ability.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Valid abilities include reach, Aetherflame Wall's ability, and Lord Magnus's abilities (since they apply to Lord Magnus itself when blocking a forestwalk or plainswalk creature).
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Sunday, January 15th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 9th-15th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 17th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 18th–21st)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due January 23rd)
  • Final (January-February, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Goblin Mangonel 4R
Creature - Goblin {U}
Reach
Whenever Goblin Mangonel blocks a creature, Goblin Mangonel deals 2 damage to that creature.
T: Goblin Mangonel deals 2 damage to each opponent. Activate only during your turn.
1/5

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Tris, Cursed Survivalist 2GG
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent creates a 2/2 blue and black Zombie Horror creature token with skulk.
Tris can block creatures with skulk as though as they didn't have skulk.
Whenever a creature an opponent control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Tris and you gain 2 life.
4/4

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Placeholder

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Guardian Hydra XGW
Creature — Hydra (R)
Vigilance
Guardian Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Guardian Hydra can block an additional creature for each +1/+1 counter on it, and can block creatures with menace this way as if it were an additional creature.
Whenever Guardian Hydra blocks, put a +1/+1 counter on it at end of combat.
0/0

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Fawle, the Unafraid 2W
Legendary Artifact Creature - Soldier (U)
Lifelink
Fawle, the Unafraid can block creatures with menace as though they didn't have menace.
Whenever a creature with menace, fear, or intimidate attacks you, untap Fawle.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

About two more days remain in this round - remember that anyone can enter!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Horizon Elemental
Creature - Elemental (Rare)
Reach
: Draw a card. Activate only if Horizon Elemental blocked this turn.
: Horizon Elemental deals 1 damage to target attacking creature.
: Put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
2/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Lightbender 2u
Creature - Eldrazi (r)
Devoid (This catd has no color)
Flash
Hexproof from colorless
When Lightbender enters the battlefield, replace all instances of a color word or the words colorless or multicolored for another.
3/2

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Wharren, the Harrier
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier R
Vigilance, hexproof from nonblack
Wharren can block creatures as though they had no abilities.
: Wharren gets +2/+3 and gains deathtouch until end of turn. Activate only once each turn.
"You didn't really think you'd get away from me, right?"
2/2
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed. Please critique all other contestants and post a top 3.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

MonoRedMage: This goblin seems decent but not super exciting to play. It's a weird tension that it makes you ask if you would rather block or tap to deal damage. Having reach is a given plus. Good news is that it doesn't target an opponent so damage is more guaranteed.

netn10: These type of, I get big thing, you get a nice token is usually a cool design, and this is no exception. I'm not sure the creature needs to give each opponent a creature with skulk, but it at least encourages beating down on other opponents in a goad/pillowfort shell. Flexible design.

Subject16: Assuming this would actually work within MTG rules, this is a cool card. I'm not the biggest selesnya player by a long shot, but those players would play this in selesnya tokens/hydras for sure.

slimytrout: This seems decently strong. At least it doesn't have first strike.

Henlock: I don't think this card meets the challenge.

Rithaniel: Now this is the type of creativity I know you to make. Spicy blocker in combat that makes for a wall-like resistance to the most mean attackers out there. I don't think this could block creatures that become generally "unblockable", but it does a whole lot against menace, fear, intimidate, etc.

Top 3:

3rd: Subject16
2nd: Rithaniel
1st: netn10
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@MonoRedMage @netn10 @Subject16 @slimytrout @Henlock @Rithaniel Please at least post a top 3!

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

I'll try to post a full review as soon as possible.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Seems like a fine uncommon for limited, maybe as your 23th card. Reach is fine for this challenge.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Hydra that back block for each head and as a single being can block menace creature? I love it. The card can be mono green but other then that, the flavor just makes sense.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
As an artifact creature, it can already block intimidate and fear. I think I understand the flavor though. It seems like a beating in limited, and like a cool card flavor wise.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Temur "blocking matter" is interesting. The green ability doesn't follow the pattern of the two others, but otherwise, it's a unique package of classic abilities.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Your card doesn't meet the challenge - but I like its weirdness. It's a good design for an Eldrazi.
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
By far the weirdest card here, even more than the Eldrazi. GW with GWB is a unique territory, and "this can block anything like its has no abilities" is a clean way to do this challenge. I'm just not sure 100% what's happening here, but it's certainly a package.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: Subject16
2nd: Rithaniel
3rd: marioguy3
Last edited by netn10 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Kind of a twist on lobber crew. Reach in red has become a lot more common recently, and we've seen the "firstest strike" ability before, but I don't really love it on a specifically defensive creature where it can make it really hard for opponents to attack. I do like that you have to choose between shocking and blocking, so to speak.
netn10
Show
Hide
Oh man, I'd forgotten about skulk. Only note on this is that it should probably have vigilance so you can attack with it and still block the Zombie Horrors.
Subject16
Show
Hide
I like the idea, but I think it's a bit confusing to figure out how exactly the menace-blocking works -- is the idea that if it has four counters on it it can block two creatures with menace and one creature without menace but not three creatures with menace or two with menace and two without?
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Nothing wrong with the card, but I guess I don't quite get it, either flavorfully or mechanically. With this many abilities it would be nice if there were some rhyme or reason about why they're put together in this combination.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I don't see how this meets the challenge.
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Whoa. I really like the evasion-killing ability, although I certainly am not sure how workable it would be in the rules. I don't really like the hexproof from non-black or the fact that it gets +2/+3 instead of a square number -- they just feel like kind of random details that don't really fit together.
T3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. MonoRedMage
3. Subject16

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Commentary
Show
Hide
  • Henlock - I think your thinking here is to get "around" the challenge, by giving something an ability that allows you to modify something like Mudbrawler Raiders's ability, or to make it so that something like fear can be changed to "only be blocked by colorless or artifact creatures." It's kind of an obscure usage, though, and I feel as though you're stretching the criteria of the round. The card itself, meanwhile, feels a little directionless.
  • marioguy3 - Okay, so all four of these abilities are at least decent abilities. One is card advantage, one is ramp, one is removal, and one is reach. The fact that you can use multiple of them in a turn make them powerful. I think this is the first time we've gotten the ability to drop multiple lands in a turn with an ability like this. Also, the blue ability is pretty cheap, but requires you risking the creature unless you use the red ability, which uses up mana that you would use to draw cards. I think the mana requirements and its small size might actually keep it from getting too strong. I think this is a good design.
  • MonoRedMage - I had to look up what a mangonel is. I think this is a good design which could be streamlined in some ways. The only issue that I'd have with it is that it isn't really all that exciting. Sure, an unblockable 2 damage each turn is fun, but kinda lame for five mana. A 1/5 (technically 3/5) with reach is also decent (at least in limited), but not amazing. The fact that it can be both things makes it more interesting, of course.
  • netn10 - Well, this design is fun, but skulk is such an underused keyword that I can see this only really interacting with itself. However, as something that only interacts with itself, I think it's a fun idea. However, the only issue is that your opponent doesn't have to swing with these 2/2 skulk zombies. They can save them up and either use them as blockers, or build up an army until Tris can't block everything and then just win the game. So, as long as your opponents play smart, this stops being fun and starts being too much downside for a 4/4 for 4 mana.
  • slimytrout - Amazing flavor. Everything comes together quite nicely on this design. I like it. I would point out is that it might be worth putting at rare rather than uncommon, but I think it still works as an uncommon legend. On thing is that it being a 3/3 lifelink for 3 mana makes it aggressive, and it having pseudo-vigilance allows it to sometimes be consistently attacking, but I think this works in it's favor balance-wise. It doesn't end up too strong, but it still has a purpose in the game. Good design.
  • Subject16 - So, I'm a little bit hazy on how the menace blocking ability works. If it has three +1/+1 counters on it, it can block four creatures. Can it block four creatures with menace? Or does it "use up" two blocks to stop a creature with menace, meaning that it can only block two creatures with menace? That's a side issue, of course. Beyond that, I think this would be served well by being something other than a 0/0. I mean, you don't want to block six creatures when you only have 5 toughness, so you never really get to use that ability to its full potential. All that being said, it's a fun ability, particularly on the menace front, and this creature has a lot of stuff that works together.
Top 3
Show
Hide
  • First - slimytrout
  • Second - marioguy3
  • Third - Subject16
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Top 3

1: Monoredmage
2: Rithaniel
3. Slimytrout

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Top 3:

1: netn10
2: slimytrout
3: Henlock

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our top 4 contestants:

slimytrout
Subject16
netn10
Rithaniel

Thank you to everyone for playing - top 4 round will come soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”