Some red and/or white cards

Subject16
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

A few extra designs to give red and white more card draw or ramp.
Dwarven Library
1R
Enchantment
At the beginning of your draw step, you may draw two additional cards. If you do, exile two cards in your hand drawn this turn. For each of those cards, you may have Dwarven Library deal 4 damage to you. If you do, you may play that card this turn.

Open Plans
1W
Enchantment — Aura Curse
Enchant player
Whenever enchanted draws a card except for the first card they draw each turn, that player reveals that card. You may draw a card unless that player pays 1.
"For every step Leovold takes, we will be two ahead."
-Queen Marchesa

Political Tutor
1R
Sorcery
Target opponent searches your library for a nonland card and reveals it. You may put that card into your hand. If you don't, Political Tutor deals damage to that player equal to the revealed card's converted mana cost.

Planar Tutor
R
Instant
Search your library for a land or planeswalker card and reveal it. Shuffle your library, then put the revealed card on top of your library.
"Come along, Chandra. The Multiverse awaits."
—Jaya Ballard

Sunhall Deployment
1RW
Sorcery
Exile target creature card from your graveyard. For each card exiled this way, create a token that's a copy of that card, except it's 1/1, it's a Spirit in addition to its other creature types, and it has flying and haste. Exile those tokens at the beginning of the next end step.
Overload 3RRWW (You may cast this spell for its Overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each".)
The heroes of the past now fight for the present.

Phyrexian Harvester
4W
Artifact Creature — Horror
Devour 2
When Phyrexian Harvester enters the battlefield, choose target creature card in your graveyard. If it's converted mana cost is equal or less than the number of creatures devoured with Phyrexian Harvester, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, return it to your hand.
1/1

Restructure
2RW
Sorcery
Destroy target artifact, enchantment, or nonbasic land.
Basic Landcycling 2
Retrace

Thoughtchaser
W
Creature — Spirit
Flying
At the beginning of your draw step, if an opponent has more cards in their hand than you, draw a card.
1/1

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Planar Tutor should be a green and white card as the effect is in no way red. But other than that, I like them all.

Dwarven Library in particular stands out as an excellent card, it is a great variation of Sylvan Library that feels very red. It does technically give card advantage, but it costs you four life and you *need* to cast the spell *that* turn or lose access to it permanently, and if you don't pay the four life, well, you lose access to it, permanently (Well, unless your opponent plays with Eldrazi Processors).

Now that I look over the cards again, I am not certain that Open Plans should be white, white is not supposed to have that kind of card advantage. It is basically a colorshifted Rhystic Study that is limited to one opponent, but it gives white access to something that is supposed to be its weakness.

Political Tutor is a great take on a red tutor, you don't have control over what card is gotten, but chosen opponent has to be very careful about what they give you, or they may end up getting hit for a lot of damage. If your deck has several cheap, but useful spells, as well as several expensive but powerful ones, it can put your opponent in quite the quandry. I love it.

Sunhall Deployment is extremely well executed, the card feels incredibly red and white. Great card.

Phyrexian Harvester doesn't feel particularly white. Devour does not feel at home in white, and it isn't really supposed to animate big creatures either. I feel it would be better served as a black card. That said, the concept is magnificent. It's basically cannibalizing other creatures to make itself bigger and to "repair" another creature. But again, the concept doesn't feel white.

Restructure could easily be a monogreen card, but it works equally well as a red/white card. It is a good example of how two color combinations can work together to do something another color can do alone. Great card.

Thoughtchaser feels blue, not white. Again it gives white something it is not supposed to have, specifically card advantage. White is supposed to have all the answers but no real way of reaching them, this card breaks that by allowing you to draw extra cards. Should probably be a blue rare card rather than a white uncommon.

I think mechanics such as explore, flashback, buyback, retrace, and scry are better suited to cover whites card advantage problems rather than pure card draw. If you want to create cards that shores up whites weakness, try using them. You've already used retrace with Restructure, and it works great for the card.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Although some of the colors are off base, the mechanics cards themselves are solid and on point. :grin:
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

I'd like to echo everything Krishnath said, there are some good cards here and a few off-color, with two exceptions.

Sylvan library has massive problems with people not keeping the cards drawn distinct, however, this is only a problem for that player because if they can't prove cards were drawn that turn they simply have to pay all the life. However, your take on the card doesn't have that option. There is no 'fix' for what happens if the cards aren't kept distinct. This is a huge logistics problem. I don't think there is a fix that keeps the card red but the library was a horribly designed card when it was designed so trying to mirror it is a strange choice. To be clear this the actual rules fix would be the opponent gets to look at your hand and chooses which cards were drawn that turn. Cards that easily and repeatedly results in illegal plays are bad for the game.

Then there is Political Tutor. It feels like it was trying to be really clever but reads as "search your library for Lightning Bolt or worse and put it into your hand." There is essentially no penalty for the opponent getting the worst 1 mana card in your deck or simply another copy of Political Tutor. I can't imagine an actual upside to this card unless using the most absurd of combos to completely remove anything with a small mana cost from your deck. In what situations do you imagine this card being better than Lighting Bolt or even Shock? This card would actually function if it revealed cards from the top of your library until it hit a nonland then you could deal damage or take the card. Adding the opponent's choice kills the card entirely. An Explosive Revelation that either gets you the card or deals damage could be reasonable at 2cmc.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

There's already criticism here and it's basically correct, so I'll just go ahead and tell you what I do like the most:

Open Plans - Basically a Alms Collector variant I suppose but the revealed draws are actually quite a spicy addition. I think this is a fully white card at least in the Commander set color pie because it only taxes extra draws.

Restructure - As Krishnath said this card is perfect in that it could be monogreen yet it's also formed from red and white effects. Great way for Boros to punish nonbasics as well as do a bunch of other utility-belt stuff.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”