Henzie "Toolbox" Torre's Big Shoulders Blitz

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Henzie "Toolbox" Torre's Big Shoulders Blitz
Go Chicago on your opponents!

So I decided to build this deck on a whim yesterday with what I had on hand. I was surprised as I was putting it together how much fun it looked to play. I especially enjoyed that it let me play cards that I had been looking to put into decks for a while like Kokusho, the Evening Star, my promo Ryusei, the Falling Star , Archon of Cruelty, and Cream of the Crop. Plus Etali, because every game needs more of the Queen of Chaos.

I will say I was impressed by how many of the cards from the precon slotted into the deck. Usually its taking two or three cards and saving the rest for other decks. But also, because I was only using the cards on hand, it meant not being able to add all stars like Ziatora's Proving Ground, Ziatora, the Incinerator, Ignoble Hierarch, Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire, Junji, the Midnight Sky, and even commons like Feign Death and Undying Malice. Not having those cards did let me put in cards that I wanted to try, but would've probably been cut otherwise like Genesis, Caldaia Guardian and Mirage Phalanx.

Also interested to see if I have enough Trample inducers, or do I need to throw in Brawn. Or if Kessig Wolf Run and Skarrg, the Rage Pits are too tough on the mana base. If I need to throw in Jund Charm or Riveteers Charm somewhere in the deck for some additional graveyard hate. Can I find a way to slip Primal Forcemage into the deck, or would it just be win more. Finally this is like the ultimate Culling Ritual deck since the deck only has four permanents that get hit by it (and one of them is Sakura-Tribe Elder).

As always suggestions are welcomed and encouraged!

Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Guardman 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Played a game with the deck against Sisters of Stone Death Gorgon/Vraska Tribal and The Ur-Dragon. Me and the Sisters got off to a slower start with me playing Cream of the Crop into Henzie "Toolbox" Torre into Mezzio Mugger just for some card draw. The Ur-Dragon player started off with turn one Sol Ring into Arcane Signet, turn two Monster Manual // Zoological Study, turn 3 Oros, the Avenger. So yeah, that's a thing. His entire deck was just ramp and dragons, with me and Sisters playing catch-up as we did our best to stymie the tide. Luckily, his deck was mostly cards from Baldur's Gate and Kamigawa (though he did have an Ancient Brass Dragon and probably the other Elder Dragons as well). But that still was a beating.

He probably wouldn't have won that game if not for the fact that the Sisters player played Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider. Let me tell you something, Woodfall Primus really likes to blitzed when it won't get its -1/-1 counter. I think I got 3 or 4 Woodfall Primus triggers before I finally wiped the board with Deathbringer Regent, killing Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider. But by that time Cream of the Crop had found me both The Great Henge and Evolutionary Leap, so they had one turn to answer my stuff or lose most of their permanents. They didn't and I won.

The funny thing is I didn't even realize I had put a Woodfall Primus combo in the deck until I found it with Cream of the Crop. And while part of me wants to give MVP treatment to Woodfall Primus, the true all-star and reason I won the game was my opponent's Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider. I literally would have not won the game or had the time to set-up without it.

Also Cream of the Crop is just busted in any deck with a lot creatures with high power. I literally looked through over half of my deck with it.

Overall it was a really fun deck to play and I can't wait to play it again. Sort of on the fence of whether or not I should keep The Great Henge in it however since it is such a beating in any creature deck, but want to play a few more games before I make a decision.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

There a couple of creatures that can act as graveyard hate. I like Agent of Erebos. But I also slot in Crop Rotation to get Bojuka Bog since it's simply one of the best grave hate cards available. I have some land sac/recursion synergies in my list so I can sometimes get multiple uses from it.

I have found that since using Henzie, I've found better synergy just changing a lot of my non-creature spells to creatures. For example, you might consider Phyrexian Delver over Victimize.

No Living Death ? I've won more games with it than I can count. Absolute bomb in here. Same with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

I've been meaning to try Rakdos, Lord of Riots in here. He does great in my Kaalia list. Heartless Summoning is something too.

You can check out my list in my sig. I've had a long time to acquire some valuable cards for this list, but I think there are a ton of more budget friendly options you might consider. Henzie is such a flexible commander, you can probably run basically whatever you want with him. I went a bit heavier with lands and reanimation.

I tried Cream of the Crop in dinos, but never got much gas from it. It either helped my opponents too much by filling their graveyards, or it never survived long enough to get to my upkeep.

EDIT: oh and I've found Purphoros, God of the Forge and Craterhoof Behemoth to be pretty consistent win cons albeit unoriginal.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Had a fun game last night against Reaper King Changelings, Teysa Karlov Death Triggers, and Shadrix Silverquill Politics. Started out pretty slow, doing some ramping, and getting a Rhythm of the Wild of the wild down (I didn't have good Blitz creatures really, so I didn't want to deploy Henzie "Toolbox" Torre early). Eventually I draw an Elder Brain and ask who wants a new hand since I am not in a position to make enemies yet. Everyone thinks I have a wheel effect (I don't deny it, but I don't correct them), so the Teysa Karlov player says if I draw them a new hand, they won't ping me for a few turns. I then play the Elder Brain and give it haste off of Rhythm of the Wild and attack the Teysa player. He says that he may have made a mistake as his hand is two plains, a swamp, a Reliquary Tower, and a Luminous Broodmoth.

The Shadrix player is forced to Farewell before I can play the Luminous Broodmoth, thanks to my Elder Brain and the fact that the Changeling player is getting a little too dangerous due to playing Knight Exemplar and having a Taurean Mauler with an Endless Evil on it. Next turn, I untap, play Cream of the Crop, the broodmoth, blitz out Mezzio Mugger which grabs me a bunch of ramp which I play, and while the game goes on for about eight more turns, at that point the game is over. No one had spot removal for the broodmoth and I just gained so much advantage off of it that even after Merciless Eviction exiling my board, I easily rebuilt and grind out for the win.

So long story short, there is a reason Henzie "Toolbox" Torre isn't white and people really need to play spot removal.

After playing the deck some more, I've noticed a few things:
  1. The deck is a true snowball deck. It starts out really slow, but if you get to five or six mana, it can go nuts.
  2. The deck is really, really consistent for a commander deck with no tutors. Cream of the Crop is such a dirty card with big, blitz creatures it is insane. Last night, for example, I looked through my entire deck because of it. The Great Henge is in a similar vein, as it is really easy to cast cheap and start to go out of control.
  3. Henzie "Toolbox" Torre has a similar thing going on like Golos, Tireless Pilgrim in that because of his blitz discount every time you cast him, its like you are gaining mana.
  4. The deck is kind of weak to decks planning to combo as fast as possible since it has limited ways to disrupt or prevent combos. It is more that you are hoping another player can prevent the combo win.
  5. The Evolutionary Leap, The Great Henge, Woodfall Primus combo is either surprisingly easy to put together in this deck or I've just been getting very lucky.
  6. Industrial Advancement is a really neat (and powerful) card in the deck. Last night, for example, I used it to quickly rebuild my board each time someone wiped my board.
  7. I would like to get more games with some of the support cards like First Responder or Prowling Geistcatcher, specifically when they are played on curve. They rarely are in my opening hand, and by the time I do find them, I usually have better things to do.
  8. Despite the deck being so color hungry, I am seriously considering Thought Vessel and Reliquary Tower. In several games I've ended turns with 10+ cards in my hand.
  9. I might also take out a few of the less synergistic recursion effects like Sword of Light and Shadow and winmore cards like Warstorm Surge. The deck has so much built in resilience and card draw that they are probably not needed. Also, I am sort of wondering if Primal Rage is needed as well, but I am a waffle on that card.
  10. Going back to recursion and things like Living Death, there is just so many exiling effects and graveyard hate in my meta that it is hard to keep any more than a few creatures in a graveyard at a time.
  11. The list on the first post is out of date. I will update it... eventually... maybe. But the Warhammer decks brought a few new cards that the deck has really been enjoying.
  12. I am going back and forth on cutting The Great Henge. It is perfect for the deck, but it is so powerful, that it often feels that games become can they deal with it. No. I win.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

RowanKeltizar wrote:
1 year ago
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is the black version of Luminous Broodmoth.
I know. But it's a lot more fun doing things like stealing an opponent's Luminous Broodmoth.

The deck already has a really easy time seeing every card in the deck. And as much as Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is a good fit for the deck, it's a card that would up the consistency of the deck way too much in my opinion, and give another built in combo piece with Woodfall Primus. In fact, that is part of the reason I am looking to maybe take out The Great Henge is to lower the consistency of the deck, take out the Woodfall Primus combo, and make it a bit more variance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”