October MCC Round 3: Crystal Structure

Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

(Waste Not by Matt Stewart)

October MCC Round 3: Crystal Structure

We're trying something a little unusual in the MCC this month, which I'm calling "You Make the MCC," after the You Make the Card promos Wizards ran where they solicited card designs from the public and turned them into an actual card.

The way this is going to work is that each round will have an optional prompt that you can complete. The player who has the highest score in the round will have their answer worked into the challenge for the following round (with ties going to the player who submitted their entry first -- a little added incentive to submit your entry on time).

The round is set on the plane of:

Artezia, a plane built entirely of metal, with no sightings of organic life for millennia.

And this round we're going to be focusing on a specific faction:

The Crystal Cities (the gu faction) have a goal of spreading their unchanging ideal of perfection, by creating more of what already exists, as is represented by their use of tokens to copy permanents and the keyword populate, to make more of those tokens.

Main Challenge - Design an instant or sorcery spell that uses the populate keyword and represents an action taken by the Crystal Cities.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card is monocolored.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card has flavor text attributed to one of the characters submitted in the last round.

Optional Prompt: Design a new mechanic that might be used in a set located on Artezia. (NB: The new mechanic does not have to have anything to do with your submission.)

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: Basically, there just has to be "populate" on your spell -- it can be conditional populate like in Ghired's Belligerence, temporary populate like in Determined Iteration or anything else you can think of. As for the flavor requirement, it follows basically the rules of the last round -- we don't know much about the Crystal Cities other than the blurb, so you're welcome to expand on it however you see fit, but a flavor mismatch will cost you points.

Subchallenge 1: This is referring to the color of the card and not its color identity.

Subchallenge 2: The character could be from your submission or someone else's, even if they were eliminated.

Optional Prompt: You can attach flavor to this if you want, but no need -- really what I'm looking for is an idea for a mechanic (could be an ability word, a keyword ability or action, a subtype with specific rules, or something else entirely). I reserve the right to reject any entries that don't actually work in the rules.

If you have any questions, post them in the MCC discussion thread.
DEADLINES

Design deadline: Friday, November 11th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Tuesday, November 15th 23:59 EDT

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johnny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?

(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

slimytrout
void_nothing

PLAYERS
@Rithaniel
@Ink-Treader
@Freyleyes
@Henlock
@CunningGabe

Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

Prepare the Design
Sorcery U
Populate. If you created an artifact or enchantment token this way, put a hexproof counter on that token and each other token that shares a name with it. Otherwise, populate again.
"How intriguing. The organics use planning methods similar to Crystal City planning methods. However, instead of erecting towers, they grow more organics."
—Thip-Thip the Curious

Mechanic Time
Show
Hide
I quite liked kwanyeegor-ii's idea, from round 2, of incorporating both artifact and enchantment creatures into the denizens of Artezia, whereas nonartifact, nonenchantment creatures are "organics." I also enjoy the original idea of the plane coming into contact with another plane, full of "organics." So, why not a mechanic that marries the two concepts? I present the action keyword: Trespass.

Trespass (You may reveal a nonartifact, nonenchantment creature card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand, or have target opponent sacrifice an artifact or enchantment.)
Last edited by Rithaniel 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Emulate Perfection 2UU
Sorcery (R)
Put target creature you control on the bottom of your library. Create a token that is a copy of that creature, then populate.
"Another flawless specimen."
-- The Arbiter
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Faceted Emulation 1G
Sorcery (U)
Until end of turn, tokens you create enter the battlefield with an additional shield counter on them. (If they would be dealt damage or destroyed, remove a shield counter from them instead.)
Populate.
"These new designs suggest the Crystal Cities are preparing for war. We must do the same to keep them in check."
-High-Order Berzok

Mechanic
Show
Hide
Integrate <cost> (<cost>, Exile this from your graveyard: Target creature you control gains this card's abilities. Integrate as a sorcery)
Intended to appear on noncreature artifacts and enchantments as an odd sort of reanimation, though it could be on creatures.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Just about 24 hours remain in the round -- looking at you, @Henlock and @Freyleyes

slimytrout

Ok, I'm going to give a 24-hour extension on this, but I just want to put out there that we do have one extra contestant in this round, so I am prepared to move on with only 4 entries...

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 1 year ago

Crystal Command GU
Instant {R}
Choose one —
  • Populate.
  • Target token becomes a 2/2 artifact creature.
  • Create a token that's a copy of target artifact with mana value 2 or less.
  • Draw a card.
Elevate GU (You may pay GU any number of times to choose an additional option not yet chosen.)
Mechanic
Show
Hide
Elevate <cost> (You may pay <cost> any number of times to choose an additional option not yet chosen.)

slimytrout

Ok, going to close the round -- I don't love leaving anyone behind but there's been plenty of warning. The brackets are:

Rithaniel vs. Ink-Treader
CunningGabe vs. Freyleyes

Both judges will judge both brackets and the winner of each will move on to the finals.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

I am sorry. Best of lucks to the remaining contestants!

slimytrout

Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Prepare the Design
Sorcery U
Populate. If you created an artifact or enchantment token this way, put a hexproof counter on that token and each other token that shares a name with it. Otherwise, populate again.
"How intriguing. The organics use planning methods similar to Crystal City planning methods. However, instead of erecting towers, they grow more organics."
—Thip-Thip the Curious

Mechanic Time
Show
Hide
I quite liked kwanyeegor-ii's idea, from round 2, of incorporating both artifact and enchantment creatures into the denizens of Artezia, whereas nonartifact, nonenchantment creatures are "organics." I also enjoy the original idea of the plane coming into contact with another plane, full of "organics." So, why not a mechanic that marries the two concepts? I present the action keyword: Trespass.

Trespass (You may reveal a nonartifact, nonenchantment creature card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand, or have target opponent sacrifice an artifact or enchantment.)
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy is the one who most likes the idea of flooding the board with tokens. Johnny sees some appeal in using this with Cackling Counterpart, but ultimately it looks a lot like a double Wake the Reflections which is a little straightforward. Both options – two (potentially large) bodies or one and a bunch of hexproof – are interesting to Spike for three mana but they're worried about the setup cost and blowout potential.
(2/3) Elegance – This is just a little too complicated to get it on the first read through (between the organic/nonorganic choice and the each other token that shares a name with it), but I imagine if the rest of the set's themes backed it up then it wouldn't be too hard to remember. I am deducting another half point because the lack of reminder text would be a little rough, given that a) it's an uncommon and more importantly b) the "creature token" part of populate is pretty crucial for this card.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability – Blue's never done populate before but it certainly can since it's the color that loves copying the most. I think the "organic" option is fine at uncommon, but throwing around a bunch of hexproof counters is potentially a little high-complexity for uncommon, as it gets pretty annoying to track counters on tokens at (say) a prerelease.
(3/3) Balance – Sure, totally fine. Populate tends to be a pretty swingy mechanic, but it's also fairly win-more which helps keep it from being too busted. Double populate is doubly swingy, as is protecting your tokens with hexproof counters, but 3 mana is the right rate for this.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – A lot of new aspects here: caring whether you make an artifact or enchantment token, caring about names of tokens, multiple hexproof counters. Full points.
(2.5/3) Flavor – Not exactly sure how a thopter would talk, but I like the idea. Flavor text is a little too long and explain-y but not that bad.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – Looks good!
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) – Yep.
(2/2) Subchallenges – Yep yep.

Total: 22/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Faceted Emulation 1G
Sorcery (U)
Until end of turn, tokens you create enter the battlefield with an additional shield counter on them. (If they would be dealt damage or destroyed, remove a shield counter from them instead.)
Populate.
"These new designs suggest the Crystal Cities are preparing for war. We must do the same to keep them in check."
-High-Order Berzok

Mechanic
Show
Hide
Integrate <cost> (<cost>, Exile this from your graveyard: Target creature you control gains this card's abilities. Integrate as a sorcery)
Intended to appear on noncreature artifacts and enchantments as an odd sort of reanimation, though it could be on creatures.
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal – Timmy generally loves populate and this is no exception – they see this and imagine flooding the board with shielded tokens. Johnny is interested in the possibilities as well – a quick search returns a pretty cute combo with this, Rishkar, Peema Renegade and Winged Hive Tyrant, and I'm sure there's more out there. Spike likes putting shield counters on tokens, since even if it's a bad token it can chump block twice, but is worried about having this rot in their hand or just be too low-impact.
(3/3) Elegance – Very straightforward.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability – Definitely works in green. Once again, the idea of putting a bunch of counters on tokens feels kind of annoying in paper though, especially at uncommon.
(2/3) Balance – I'm not sure this quite does enough? Unfortunately they haven't printed any virtual or french vanilla creatures that enter with shield counters so it's hard to tell exactly what that ability is worth, but I think unless you're following this up with another token maker or you're copying a really good token it's going to feel a little weak. (Also a bit of a non-bo where if you have a good token maker in hand you want to play that first so you can copy that token but you also want to play it second so you can get the shield counter on it. It might work better if you flipped the order of abilities and had it put shield counters on existing tokens.)

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness – The barest hint of Mystic Reflection vibes here but basically pretty new.
(3/3) Flavor – Love the synchronization of "faceted" with "crystal," and shield counters feel great here.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – As far as I can tell, "tokens you create" has never really been used before, but neither has any other wording, so works for me.

Total: 22.5/25

CunningGabe
Show
Hide
Emulate Perfection 2UU
Sorcery (R)
Put target creature you control on the bottom of your library. Create a token that is a copy of that creature, then populate.
"Another flawless specimen."
-- The Arbiter
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy is into this (once they get it) – it's a lot like a clone that also flickers the creature it's copying, and they love powerful ETB's. Johnny also has dreams of stringing these together in a combo using Archaeomancer or something. Spike is not interested – the double ETB's are tempting, but the blowout potential is nuts, and besides they don't really want to turn their best creatures into tokens that die to bounce or flicker.
(2/3) Elegance – Definitely takes a second to understand the implications of this, but the text is nice and simple. I wish the order could be refined a bit, since it's odd to put the creature on the bottom of your library and then make a copy of it. Speaking of which, this is yet another card that would be annoying to track in paper, since you're going to end up with copy tokens but the card that they're copying will be in a hidden zone so players will just have to remember what it said.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Sure, all of this works in blue and it's definitely a rare.
(3/3) Balance – Yeah, I think this is ok. Compared to Cackling Counterpart this is weaker in most cases (sorcery speed, 1 more mana to cast, no flashback), but that card sees plenty of play in EDH and in the cases where you're taking full advantage of the extra ETB this is considerably more busted.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – The Cackling Counterpart similarities are strong here, but this does have some important differences.
(2.5/3) Flavor – Name and flavor text are both a bit generic, but not so bad.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – The order of abilities is awkward but I don't think it's wrong per se. The only issue is that it should be "on the bottom of its owner's library" since you might not own the card you're targeting.

Total: 21/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Crystal Command GU
Instant {R}
Choose one —
  • Populate.
  • Target token becomes a 2/2 artifact creature.
  • Create a token that's a copy of target artifact with mana value 2 or less.
  • Draw a card.
Elevate GU (You may pay GU any number of times to choose an additional option not yet chosen.)
Mechanic
Show
Hide
Elevate <cost> (You may pay <cost> any number of times to choose an additional option not yet chosen.)
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy likes populate overall but the whole package feels a bit fiddly to them. Johnny has some interest in the third mode but overall not so much. Spike likes modal spells overall but doesn't like the way the order of choices works here (and the fact that the "draw a card" mode doesn't target but the others do).
(2/3) Elegance – None of the options are that complex but the order of modes being off is going to confuse the hell out of people, since they'll choose (1) and (3) but then one will fizzle because (3) hasn't happened yet.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability – Yeah, this feels blue/green (although mostly blue). I actually don't think it needs to be rare – this would be fine at uncommon given that it's not a "real" command.
(2.5/3) Balance – I actually think this would be better off being a real command (choose 2 of 4). Yes, the elevate option raises the ceiling on what you can do, but generally you're not going to want to do all four of these anyway, so it's stronger if you can do two of them for 2 mana rather than 4.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – Is elevate different from escalate? It seems like no, in which case this card falls pretty well within the typical pattern for those.
(1/3) Flavor – The fact that this is so close to the typical command structure while not actually following it is a major flavor fail – the Mels would lose their minds if this got printed.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – Escalate went before the list of abilities, so I think elevate should as well.
(0/2) Subchallenges – Neither.

Total: 17/25

Results
Show
Hide
Rithaniel: 22
Ink-Treader: 22.5

CunningGabe: 21
Freyleyes: 17

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy is the obvious audience for double populate. Jxnny definitely has things they can do with both that and hexproof tokens. Spike is the hardest sell here - this card effectively does nothing on its own and is a sorcery, but either TWO more of their best token or some clutch hexproof could make them take notice.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Populate is a somewhat complex effect as-is when you consider the possibility of things like copying tokens that are already copies of something. Putting keyword counters on multiple tokens conditionally pushes this over the edge of complexity imo.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Populate started out in Selesnya so it was initially a GW ability, but there is nothing about it that couldn't be monoblue. Rarity is fine despite the complexity.
(3/3) Balance - Slow enough that there's nothing to complain about even with the possibility of really strong tokens to copy.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Hexproof counters and populate are both borrowed from older set mechanics but there's definitely a lot of new thinking here.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I like this, although Thip-Thip is a lot more... chatty than I would have assumed.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Definitely a Txmmy/Jxnny card - Spike could be convinced about this as wrath insurance in the exact scenario where their game plan involves resolving a spell creating a lot of tokens and then attacking with those tokens to win.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Tokens with counters are always a little tetchy but I think this is about the most elegant way to pull off an effect like this.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Can't argue against color or rarity.
(3/3) Balance - Looks good - shield counters are good and all but priced any higher I think this spell would be unplayable.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - A somewhat "obvious" design that also has lenticularity to it (it affects every token you create that turn).
(3/3) Flavor - Sure! Good name, feels like an in-character Berzok quote.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.

Total: 23/25
CunningGabe
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny would have a lot of fun with this card, but Spike would be way more easily convinced if that said "sacrifice" instead of "put on bottom of library".
(2/3) Elegance - Maybe not a totally inelegant card, but a fiddly one: There's a surprisingly high number of things this card actually has you do.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely a blue rare.
(3/3) Balance - This is a puzzle card, one for which dedicated Jxnnies would want to figure out every possible combo. Are there too many - is it too versatile a piece that basically combos with everything? Who can say?

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While this is basically a clone, it's to clone effects what Rescue from the Underworld is to reanimation. A lot of different combos and interactions open up here.
(3/3) Flavor - Really cool. Amazing name and extremely pithy flavor text. No complaints!

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "On the bottom of its owner's library" - it's possible to control but not own a creature after all.

Total: 22/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - While Jxnny and Spike appreciate the versatility and a couple of unusual modes here, this card's just not big enough for Txmmy.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Besides being a modal card with those many possible mode combinations depending on costs paid, this also has some subtle inelegances: For example, the inability to turn the artifact token made by the third mode into a 2/2 creature (or populate it if it's a creature).

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right.
(3/3) Balance - No complaints, particularly since extra modes cost GU more each.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - The modes here are synergistic, but two of them are very boilerplate (populate and draw a card), and elevate appears to just be a redo of escalate (or less elegant entwine).
(1/3) Flavor - Not a fan. The name's generic, which works in the context of a cycle but not in a vacuum. To make matters worse, this isn't strictly a Command as most people think of them, which are just "choose two" - this is more along the lines of Collective Effort, naturally.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(0/2) Subchallenges - Meets neither.

Total: 16.5/25
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”