August MCC, Round 3 - In Double Time

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Banner based on Strionic Resonator, by Noah Bradley and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
August MCC, Round 3 - In Double Time

Welcome to the August MCC! It's Triggered Abilities Month here at the MCC.

Main Challenge: Design a card with "triggers an additional time" in its rules text.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is an artifact or enchantment
Subchallenge 2: Your card is multicolored

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, September 12th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Thursday, September 15th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
None yet
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing

Players:
@kwanyeegor-ii
@slimytrout
@Henlock
@netn10
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Living Infinite 1WBG
Enchantment (Mythic)
Spells and permanents you control and cards you own not on the battlefield have lifelink.
If a player gaining life causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

@slimytrout @Henlock @netn10 Just a reminder.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Accelerator Time-Piece WU
Artifact (Rare)
When Accelerator Time-Piece enters the battlefield, choose a card type.
Cards of the chosen type cost 1 less to cast.
If a card of the chosen type would cause an ability to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Pantheia, Blessed Eidolon 1WU
Legendary Enchantment Creature — Spirit (R)
Bestow 3WU (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Prowess
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has prowess.
If an ability of an Aura or enchanted creature you control triggers, that ability triggers an additional time.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Just awaiting @Henlock now. I'll give until midnight Eastern and then move on no matter what.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Tavo, the Splendid w
Legendary Creature - Human Knight (u)
If Tavo, the Splendid being cast. entering the battlefield, attacking, blocking, dealing damage, dying or leaving the battlefield would cause a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.
2/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Alright, round is closed and I will judge.

The pairings will be:

kwanyeegor-ii vs. slimytrout

netn10 vs. Henlock

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - All-rounder - who DOESN'T want all those life and all those ability triggers?
(2/3) Elegance - While "triggers an additional time" abilities are by necessity wordy, both this card's abilities have quite a lot of words (although there's hardly a way to condense them).

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I definitely can see this as a mythic, but of all three colors, green is clearly the least fitting. It's not exactly disruptive, but this feels a bit more like just a WB card.
(2/3) Balance - Definitely wary of this granting EVERYTHING lifelink and then doubling those triggers. It's four mana, sure, but there are definitely some crazy interactions here.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Granting lifelink certainly is not new but this card does care about something new.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name's nice, if a little abstract. Could have potentially used short flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done,

Total: 21/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Anyone might like this, with Spike being the least enthused, because it requires quite a bit of setup to do anything really powerful.
(2.5/3) Elegance - A bit wordy - bestow results in that - but also pretty interesting!

Development
(3/3) Viability - No color or rarity issues.
(3/3) Balance - Sure - this card can potentially do a lot but you have to jump through significant hoops to get there.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The prowess internal interaction makes me think of Veyran, Voice of Duality/Harmonic Prodigy but otherwise quite a few new things here.
(3/3) Flavor - The fact of this being an eidolon and having a name that means "Of All Gods" or "Goddess of All" ties it together.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looking good.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 23/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy's appeal here is a bit more marginal - they do love doubling things up and ramping things out though - but Jxnny and Spike are of course all over this.
(2/3) Elegance - Nothing too bad, but involves some tracking and has a... difficult final ability to work with in the rules, although of course it's very easily understood.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look fine. You could argue for GU or something instead but WU looks right.
(1.5/3) Balance - This does a LOT and enables a BUNCH of things for two mana. Yes, it's symmetrical, but if you've built your deck around an effect like this you stand to benefit much more.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Sort of a Cloud Key variant with some extra, new-feeling stuff.
(2/3) Flavor - The name works with both effects, but something seems a little bit... missing from the flavor. It's just not quite clicking with me.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine to me.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 19.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - A small creature that even Txmmy can get somewhat into because it doubles the effects of EVERYTHING that occurs related to it. Jxnny is obviously all over this, and Spike gets over their skepticism because hey - it's one mana.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Easy to sort of get a sense for what this does, but woof, is this ever a wordy ability.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Feels white, and in a Modern Horizons/Commander Legends type of set, I can definitely see uncommon.
(2.5/3) Balance - Obviously a strong combo card, and a Savannah Lions to boot, but it does require outside setup of some kind.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - This does nothing but double triggers, but it does that in a way no card has done before.
(3/3) Flavor - I like the idea of a knight so perfect and courtly that every moment of his life is a huge event.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - The ability is unusual but there's nothing outright wrong with the templating.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(0/2) Subchallenges - Neither.

Total: 21/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And slimytrout and Henlock are our finalists - round coming soon!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”